Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
We could build a small ground based one first, just little walking replicating mineral collectors running on solar energy. No warp drive required, just as a test. Let's see how that goes.
I'm not a big fan of the concept of independent self replicating machines active on a planet I live on. :)

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Do you know why we research dark matter? Because we found evidence.

Well, kinda. We had some things that explained most things, and then we found inexplicable forces making some things not agree with our explanations. We don't like it when the universe disagrees with our explanations, so we called the disagreeable part Dark Matter.

Because Dark Matter Matters, the DMM movement was started and we research it. We tried ignoring it earlier but it picketed our equations and messed the results up. Apparently it demands to be considered and heard!

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The research done by the LHC is very useful for discovering the physics of high energy particle collisions which help us understand how the fundamental building blocks of matter work, and the conditions in the early universe.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,526.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Well, kinda. We had some things that explained most things, and then we found inexplicable forces making some things not agree with our explanations. We don't like it when the universe disagrees with our explanations, so we called the disagreeable part Dark Matter.

Because Dark Matter Matters, the DMM movement was started and we research it. We tried ignoring it earlier but it picketed our equations and messed the results up. Apparently it demands to be considered and heard!
I'll agree that Dark Matter is mainly a catchy name... but the mysterious phenomena it's attached to is absolutely real. That's why I dispute people claiming "there's no evidence", "it's not real", "they just made it up."

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,754.00
Faith
Atheist
The research done by the LHC is very useful for discovering the physics of high energy particle collisions which help us understand how the fundamental building blocks of matter work, and the conditions in the early universe.
More than that, large physics projects like the LHC can actually return a net benefit to society:

LHC upgrade brings benefits beyond physics:
"...our analysis showed that the HL-LHC has a clear, quantifiable economic benefit for society... Overall, the ratio between the incremental benefits and incremental costs of the HL-LHC with respect to the continued operation of the LHC under normal consolidation (i.e. without high-luminosity upgrade) is 1.8. This means that each Swiss franc invested in the HL-LHC upgrade project pays back approximately 1.8 Swiss francs in societal benefits, mainly stemming from the value of the skills acquired by students and postdocs, and from industrial spillovers. The study is also based on very conservative assumptions about the potential benefits."​

Reactions: Freodin
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,754.00
Faith
Atheist
Let`s say you wanted to create some sort of a distortion in nature so it`d spread and eventually hopefully, be picked up by some aliens far away, would a big clock where you set the second-hand in a strange position be enough, so eveytime it moves it creates a strange distortion, would they pick it up eventually with some very sensitive and delicate instruments quicker than the normal method of sending messages?
How would you set the second hand in a 'strange' position? what does that mean?
Why would that cause a 'strange distortion'? distortion of what?
Why do you think it might be quicker than normal messages?

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,143.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
... but I fail to see any fact of physics that stands in the way of filling the inner Solar system with space stations and collectors.
.. and that failure is simply because you haven't completed any recognisable feasibility study into the construction of so-called 'Dyson swarms'.
Shemjaza said:
It's more advanced and on a vast scale... but no magical speculative technology is required.
... a myopic opinion, driven by a desire to not allow your pet sci-fi bubble to burst, (no doubt) ..
Shemjaza said:
Your simplistic and ignorant denial of pure science research and the advantages that comes from it.
You apparently recognise how that blinds others .. Why not yourself when it comes to so-called 'Dyson swarms'?

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,526.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
.. and that failure is simply because you haven't completed any recognisable feasibility study into the construction of so-called 'Dyson swarms'.
... a myopic opinion, driven by a desire to not allow your pet sci-fi bubble to burst, (no doubt) ..
You apparently recognise how that blinds others .. Why not yourself when it comes to so-called 'Dyson swarms'?
Rude... care to actually present what I'm missing?

What principles of science stop us from scaling up constructions we can already build?

I'm certainly not saying we are there now, but when I ask what the technological barrier exists between "orbital space station", "interplanetary craft" and "space habitat" when all you can say is that I'm myopic, I feel as convinced as when Creationists assure me that there's a "kind barrier" but can never present it.

• Agree
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,143.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Rude... care to actually present what I'm missing?
Rudeness is just another belief-based opinion (to pile ontop of all the rest of 'em ..)
I already made it clear what you're missing. Ie: an objective Engineering feasibility assessment study. Without that, all we have is your speculative inference that so-called 'Dyson swarms' are feasible. Show us your objective evidence!

Shemjaza said:
What principles of science stop us from scaling up constructions we can already build?
.. the question is like a stuck record .. which addresses your own self-constructed a straw-man argument.

Get your act together on this .. and get real!

Shemjaza said:
I'm certainly not saying we are there now, but when I ask what the technological barrier exists between "orbital space station", "interplanetary craft" and "space habitat" when all you can say is that I'm myopic,
Your question asks for information you, yourself, have not produced which would substantiate your inference that so-called working Dyson swarms are feasible. Its up to you to produce it and not me, because I'm not the one making the inference!

Until your do that, your so-called 'Dyson swarms' are nothing more than just another sci-fi fantasy.

Shemjaza said:
I feel as convinced as when Creationists assure me that there's a "kind barrier" but can never present it.
You fail to recognise who it is, who's making the inference here. Hint: its not me!
Leave the Creationists out of this and stop trying to use them cover up where the issue lies.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,526.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Rudeness is just another belief-based opinion (to pile ontop of all the rest of 'em ..)
I am unconvinced that you believe this.

Tone and word choice are important and significant in human communication.

I already made it clear what you're missing. Ie: an objective Engineering feasibility assessment study. Without that, all we have is your speculative inference that so-called 'Dyson swarms' are feasible. Show us your objective evidence!

.. the question is like a stuck record .. which addresses your own self-constructed a straw-man argument.

Get your act together on this .. and get real!

Your question asks for information you, yourself, have not produced which would substantiate your inference that so-called working Dyson swarms are feasible. Its up to you to produce it and not me, because I'm not the one making the inference!

Until your do that, your so-called 'Dyson swarms' are nothing more than just another sci-fi fantasy.

You fail to recognise who it is, who's making the inference here. Hint: its not me!
Leave the Creationists out of this and stop trying to use them cover up where the issue lies.

News Flash. I don't know how to construct a space station, let alone a giant network of them.

My objective evidence: "Space Stations Constructed by Humans Work".

My objective evidence: "Humans can make technology that operates in between the planets of the Solar system."

My objective evidence: "Humans have consistently been able to refine and improve the efficiency of our technology."

My reasonable inference: "We could make a whole lot of these things and put them around the Solar system."

My reasonable inference: "A whole lot of space stations blocking/using the sunlight from Sol would be called a Dyson Swarm."

I'm sticking with my creationist analogy.
Sh: "I don't know a fundimental scientific barrier to constructing a Dyson swarm."
Se: "You're myopic that's just a fantasy!"
Sh: "So, what's the barrier?"
Se: "You are like a stuck record."

I'm not presenting a feasibility study to the UN to start construction of a Dysons swarm, I have stated that we do not currently have the technology... but your bald assertion that it's impossible without explanation seems like an attempt to shift the burden of proof.

• Winner
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Let`s say you wanted to create some sort of a distortion in nature so it`d spread and eventually hopefully, be picked up by some aliens far away, would a big clock where you set the second-hand in a strange position be enough, so eveytime it moves it creates a strange distortion, would they pick it up eventually with some very sensitive and delicate instruments quicker than the normal method of sending messages?
This sounds like something I would have come up with during an acid trip.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The tinpot god of science wastes vast amounts of money and resources on pointless research into issues that have zero impact on human quality of life. Large Hadron Collider anyone?

Without the LHC I wouldn't know the mass of the Higgs boson. That impacted the quality of my life to know that the Standard Model works.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟675,211.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

O.K. I've removed the second hand altogether, that ought to get their attention. I will let you know what they reply.
Space-Clock.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,982.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
O.K. I've removed the second hand altogether, that ought to get their attention. I will let you know what they reply.
Space-Clock.jpg
I decided I needed a replacement watch, but my budget was limited, so I bought a second hand one. But it wasn't much use. Well, it only had a second hand.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I'm not a big fan of the concept of independent self replicating machines active on a planet I live on. :)

I, for one, welcome our new grey goo overlor-

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,740.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Without the LHC I wouldn't know the mass of the Higgs boson. That impacted the quality of my life to know that the Standard Model works.
It also impacted on my life and is an ever constant reminder whenever I'm on the bathroom scales.:)

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It also impacted on my life and is an ever constant reminder whenever I'm on the bathroom scales.:)

Most of your mass (and mine) comes from the binding energy of quarks into nucleons. The quark masses are something like 5-10 MeV each out of the 900+ MeV for each nucleon.

Upvote 0