Can You Have Salvation Without Repentance?

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have come across many Christians who say they believe and get baptised but lack repentance, are they saved?
And so John came. He baptized people in the desert. He also preached that people should be baptized and turn away from their sins. Then God would forgive them. Mark 1:4.

It is not UNTIL we REPENT and TURN from our sins, that we can be FORGIVEN and have a SAVING RELATIONSHIP with Jesus.

• Agree
Reactions: honestal
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
not after you repent it’s not
The flesh when it repents, does so for selfish reasons, Jesus had issues with people of this nature all the time. Everything "seemed okay" but then Jesus asked some questions then concluded they were just acting in their own self interest.

It is essential that we live, move, and find our being in what God made alive within us, and was dead prior to regeneration.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have come across many Christians who say they believe and get baptised but lack repentance, are they saved?
Repentance is a change of mind, if someone was walking in the world and then had a change of mind and became a believer and witnessed the belief with baptism, would that not qualify as repentance?

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Oh yes, it is most certainly a condition for salvation.

Prove that from the only Book of The Bible whose stated purpose for being written is to tell people how to have life (Eternal Life).

And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

Upvote 0

Veritas1

Feb 19, 2022
Cumbria
✟8,738.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Can you please clarify this for me? Do these Christians just 'say they believe' or do they believe? Do they say they 'lack repentance' or is that a judgement made by others? Is this repentance at the time of their baptism or day by day as they live their life as a Christian? Being saved - do you regard that as happening at baptism? Done and dusted for the rest of your life? An event in the past or a process throughout life? How do you reconcile passages such as:
Acts 16:31 Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved?
Romans 10:9 If you confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
Romans 13:11 Salvation is nearer to us now than when we first believed.
Philippians 2:12-13 Work out your own salvation in fear and trembling; for God is at work in you.
Matthew 10:22 Whoever endures to the end will be saved.
Salvation is something occurring in the past, in our lives now, and something yet to happen in the future. In answer to the question: 'Have you been saved?' I answer: 'I have been saved, I am being saved and I hope to be saved in the future.

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟204,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And so John came. He baptized people in the desert. He also preached that people should be baptized and turn away from their sins. Then God would forgive them. Mark 1:4.

It is not UNTIL we REPENT and TURN from our sins, that we can be FORGIVEN and have a SAVING RELATIONSHIP with Jesus.
I think the term 'repentance' has a different meaning to the carnal mind than it does to the spiritual mind.

I note that Jesus said, Why call me good? There is only One Who is good. I note that He said, The sick need a doctor. If the Gospel preaches that we cannot be righteous apart from God's Spirit, then repentance would include turning away from the Pharisee type of thinking that we all choose to be sinners according to our own discretion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟909,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We first repent from unbelief to belief. From there we receive His Holy Spirit who will guild us in all truth and conviction. If this is not part of a Christian's walk then I dare say two things are happening. One, they are " quenching " His work in them which will lead to apostasy or two, they have not yet been regenerated with His Holy Spirit.
Blessings

Upvote 0

ChristServant

Aug 23, 2020
South
✟26,634.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can you please clarify this for me? Do these Christians just 'say they believe' or do they believe? Do they say they 'lack repentance' or is that a judgement made by others? Is this repentance at the time of their baptism or day by day as they live their life as a Christian? Being saved - do you regard that as happening at baptism? Done and dusted for the rest of your life? An event in the past or a process throughout life? How do you reconcile passages such as:
Acts 16:31 Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved?
Romans 10:9 If you confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
Romans 13:11 Salvation is nearer to us now than when we first believed.
Philippians 2:12-13 Work out your own salvation in fear and trembling; for God is at work in you.
Matthew 10:22 Whoever endures to the end will be saved.
Salvation is something occurring in the past, in our lives now, and something yet to happen in the future. In answer to the question: 'Have you been saved?' I answer: 'I have been saved, I am being saved and I hope to be saved in the future.

I am not a Catholic so I don't believe in works based salvation, purgatory or many other things you follow.

You can say you believe in Christ but do you believe Christ, I think there is a difference. One will manifest itself in Godly, Christ like changes in our lives over time and the other will not produce anything. Can this been seen is always going to be in debate with people.

You will know if you've repented or not and when it occurs.

Here is some scripture about repentance below,

2 Peter 3:9 -The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Luke 13:3 - I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Acts 17:30 - And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Acts 2:38 - Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost

Acts 3:19 - Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord

Mark1 :15 The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel

Luke 5:32 I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Peace be to all those in the Body of Christ.

Reactions: enoob57
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Where is repentance in the parable of the soil.

“Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. Those by the wayside are the ones who hear; then the devil comes and takes away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved. But the ones on the rock are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, who believe for a while and in time oftemptation fall away. Now the ones that fell among thorns are those who, when they have heard, go out and are choked with cares, riches, and pleasures of life, and bring no fruit to maturity. But the ones that fell on the good ground are those who, having heard the word with a noble and good heart, keep it and bear fruit with patience

• Informative
Reactions: childeye 2
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟308,155.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Repentance is a change of mind, if someone was walking in the world and then had a change of mind and became a believer and witnessed the belief with baptism, would that not qualify as repentance?
Yes repentance is a change of mind, but from what? Many simply pass that off as believing in Christ but shouldn't it go much deeper. Why? What did He represent? What was His message?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Prove that from the only Book of The Bible whose stated purpose for being written is to tell people how to have life (Eternal Life).

And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

You have to examine all scripture on a topic, not just the ones you like.

Belief and repentance are absolutely required to be saved - no repentance, and no salvation.

To start with, Jesus said HE CAME to call sinners unto repentance, and warned that unless we repent we PERISH:

Luke 5:30 And the Pharisees and their scribes grumbled at his disciples, saying, “Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?”

Luk 5:31 And Jesus answered them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick.

Luk 5:32 I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance.”

Luk 13:3 No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.

In addition to the fact that Jesus came to call sinners unto repentance, He also said after His resurrection that repentance for the remission of sins must be preached to all nations:

Luk 24:46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:

Luk 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Repentance is absolutely required for salvation.

And as Jesus was about to ascend, He told the apostles in Matthew 28:19 to make disciples of all men, teaching them all He commanded them, which would include the need to repent of sins.

Jesus also gives the example of a man at the altar repenting of his sins and being forgiven:

Luk 18:13 But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’

Luk 18:14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified,

And other scriptures presented here, will further establish that repentance - which includes asking God to forgive our sins - is required for salvation, alongside faith.

John wrote that we must confess our sins, to have them forgiven:

1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us oursins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Paul preached both faith AND repentance is necessary, not just faith:

Act 20:20 Andhow I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you,but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house,

Act 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, AND faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Repentance towards God, and faith towards Jesus: both are needed, and are separate - repentance is not automatically part of faith.

And Paul further elaborates that repentance AND faith are required

Act 26:19 “Therefore, O King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision,

Act 26:20 but declared first to those in Damascus, then in Jerusalem and throughout all the region of Judea, and ALSO to the Gentiles, that they should repent AND turn to God, performing deeds in keeping with their repentance.

In one text, Paul preached repentance toward God AND faith towards Jesus - in another that we should repent AND turn to God.

Then in Acts 3:19, we are told to repent and be converted for the forgiveness of our sins:

Act 3:19 Repent therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out

In that text, repentance clearly precedes conversion and forgiveness of our sins - and as 1 John 1:9 makes plain, repentance includes confessing our sins to God, for their forgiveness.

Albert Barnes explains this about Acts 3:19:

“Sin cannot be pardoned before man repents of it. In the order of the work of grace, repentance must always precede pardon. Of course, no man can have evidence that his sin is pardoned until he repents. Compare Isa 1:16-20; Joe 2:13”.

Repentance must always precede pardon.

And the account by Jesus of the unforgiving servant asking God to forgive his sins and the king then forgiving him, and 1 John 1:9, backs that up perfectly.

If it were true as some claim that repentance happens after conversion, or is part of it, then Acts 3:19 would say this: Be converted and repent, that your sins be forgiven - instead of saying to repent and be converted.

Peter also told those 3,000 who were added to the church that day, to repent, and be baptized, in Acts 2:38.

It is unequivocally clear that repentance is separate from faith; that repentance is needed, alongside faith, as part of being saved ; and that repentance includes asking God to forgive our sins, and not just changing our minds about sin.

Last edited:
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟308,155.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The hope of my salvation does not lie in my ability to repent. It lies solely in the finished work of Christ.
The finished work of the Christ simply gave you the opportunity to be saved which did not exist previously. That salvation hinges on whether we as human beings understand why we are such screwups as a whole, then change accordingly. Had He not accomplished completely serving the will of the Father before His own, there would be no Kingdom to come and no salvation to gain it. We would simply have the same old death curse mankind had previously.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟308,155.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Exactly. Sinners to repentance. What made them sinners and why did they need to change? Sinners are simply those who put their will before God's will. That is what Eve did in the Garden, the original sin. That is what they needed to change. Jesus reinforced that idea in the Lord's prayer... Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth as it is in Heaven. (not our will) We need to get over ourselves as somehow being more than servants to each other.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

honestal

Mar 27, 2021
Midwest
✟31,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the Bible is abundantly clear--No salvation without repentance:

"Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation." {2 Corinthians 7:10 NIV}

"For the kind of sorrow God wants us to experience leads us away from sin (true repentance) and results in salvation." {2 Corinthians 7:10 NLT}

"When they heard these things they fell silent. And they glorified God, saying, “Then to the Gentiles also God has granted repentance that leads to life.” {Acts 11:18 ESV}

"When they heard this, they had no further objections and praised God, saying, "So then, even to Gentiles God has granted repentance that leads to life." {Acts 11:18 NIV}

But we must never forget: "The goodness of God leads us to repentance." Romans 2:4}

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
You have to examine all scripture on a topic, not just the ones you like.

Belief and repentance are absolutely required to be saved - no repentance, and no salvation.

To start with, Jesus said HE CAME to call sinners unto repentance, and warned that unless we repent we PERISH:

Luke 5:30 And the Pharisees and their scribes grumbled at his disciples, saying, “Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?”

Luk 5:31 And Jesus answered them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick.

Luk 13:3 No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.

In addition to the fact that Jesus came to call sinners unto repentance, He also said after His resurrection that repentance for the remission of sins must be preached to all nations:

Luk 24:46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:

Luk 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Repentance is absolutely required for salvation.

And as Jesus was about to ascend, He told the apostles in Matthew 28:19 to make disciples of all men, teaching them all He commanded them, which would include the need to repent of sins.

Jesus also gives the example of a man at the altar repenting of his sins and being forgiven:

Luk 18:13 But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’

Luk 18:14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified,

And other scriptures presented here, will further establish that repentance - which includes asking God to forgive our sins - is required for salvation, alongside faith.

John wrote that we must confess our sins, to have them forgiven:

1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us oursins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Paul preached both faith AND repentance is necessary, not just faith:

Act 20:20 Andhow I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you,but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house,

Act 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, AND faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Repentance towards God, and faith towards Jesus: both are needed, and are separate - repentance is not automatically part of faith.

And Paul further elaborates that repentance AND faith are required

Act 26:19 “Therefore, O King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision,

Act 26:20 but declared first to those in Damascus, then in Jerusalem and throughout all the region of Judea, and ALSO to the Gentiles, that they should repent AND turn to God, performing deeds in keeping with their repentance.

In one text, Paul preached repentance toward God AND faith towards Jesus - in another that we should repent AND turn to God.

Then in Acts 3:19, we are told to repent and be converted for the forgiveness of our sins:

Act 3:19 Repent therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out

In that text, repentance clearly precedes conversion and forgiveness of our sins - and as 1 John 1:9 makes plain, repentance includes confessing our sins to God, for their forgiveness.

Albert Barnes explains this about Acts 3:19:

“Sin cannot be pardoned before man repents of it. In the order of the work of grace, repentance must always precede pardon. Of course, no man can have evidence that his sin is pardoned until he repents. Compare Isa 1:16-20; Joe 2:13”.

Repentance must always precede pardon.

And the account by Jesus of the unforgiving servant asking God to forgive his sins and the king then forgiving him, and 1 John 1:9, backs that up perfectly.

If it were true as some claim that repentance happens after conversion, or is part of it, then Acts 3:19 would say this: Be converted and repent, that your sins be forgiven - instead of saying to repent and be converted.

Peter also told those 3,000 who were added to the church that day, to repent, and be baptized, in Acts 2:38.

It is unequivocally clear that repentance is separate from faith; that repentance is needed, alongside faith, as part of being saved ; and that repentance includes asking God to forgive our sins, and not just changing our minds about sin.

That is what i figured you can not show any proof that repentance is required to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life.

This will be the last time i reply to you, i gave you a chance so i am finished in this discussion with you.

There are two ways to receive Eternal Life one is not free and that is to keep the Law perfectly from birth to death, which no one can do.

The other way is free and is to trust in The Messiah to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life.

Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Our salvation is from sin (Matthew 1:21) and the Torah is how God revealed what sin is (Romans 3:20, 1 John 3:4), so repenting from living in sin by living in obedience to it is inherently part of the concept of Jesus saving us from living in transgression of it.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟308,155.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
"When they heard these things they fell silent. And they glorified God, saying, “Then to the Gentiles also God has granted repentance that leads to life.” {Acts 11:18 ESV}
Yes, even God can have a change of mind. Hence the Gospel of the Kingdom. Good news.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes repentance is a change of mind, but from what? Many simply pass that off as believing in Christ but shouldn't it go much deeper. Why? What did He represent? What was His message?
I honestly believe that for those people who have a change of mind they do so because they believe in what the Gospels say and who Jesus is. I have see people change as the Holy Spirit worked within them.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟308,155.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I honestly believe that for those people who have a change of mind they do so because they believe in what the Gospels say and who Jesus is. I have see people change as the Holy Spirit worked within them.
Yes I've seen that in may forms as people tend to find what they want. What did Jesus say we were to change from?

Upvote 0