Can You Have Salvation Without Repentance?

Buzzard3

Jan 31, 2022
Forster
✟41,968.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Clearly it is written
Titus 3:5 (KJV)
[5] Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
with all the scholarship in the Catholic church you would think as to salvation a works based idea is against what God says in His Word
Catholic scholarship is not lacking, nor is it contrary to Scripture.

In the light of other Scriptures, Tius 3:5 may be referring to deeds/works done without faith, not deeds/works done with faith. You need to balance that verse with other verses, such as ...

James 2:24-26 ....
"a man is justified by works and not by faith alone .... faith wihout works is dead".

Heb 12:14 ...
"Strive ... for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord"

1John 2:3-5 ...
"And by this we may be sure that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He who says “I know him” but disobeys his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him; 5 but whoever keeps his word, in him truly love for God is perfected. By this we may be sure that we are in him".

"There is sin which is deadly" (1John 5:16)

In Rev 3:4, Jesus declares certain believers "worthy" of eternal life due to their works. And when Jesus judges the seven churches in Rev 2 and 3, "works" are mentioned ten times.

"As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is holy, be holy yourselves in all your conduct; since it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.” And if you invoke as Father him who judges each one impartially according to his deeds, conduct yourselves with fear throughout the time of your exile." (1 Peter 1:14-17)

In Matt 7:21-23, Jesus denies salvation to certain believers due to their "lawlessness".

Upvote 0

enoob57

Feb 16, 2022
Grove, Ok.
✟46,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
So how do you explain Paul's warning of eternal death due to sin in Galatians 5?

"Now the works of the flesh are plain: immorality, impurity, licentiousness, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, anger, selfishness, dissension, party spirit, envy, drunkenness, carousing, and the like. I WARN YOU, AS I WARNED YOU BEFORE, that those who do such things SHALL NOT INHERIT THE KINGDOM OF GOD." (Gal 5:19-21)
Sin's foundation is lie and all evil is built off of lie or acting in self interest with no regard to others... The foolishness of lie is that it must have truth existing in order to exist ~yet lie's purpose is to pervert the truth so as not to have truth existing...

Upvote 0

enoob57

Feb 16, 2022
Grove, Ok.
✟46,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Catholic scholarship is not lacking, nor is it contrary to Scripture.

In the light of other Scriptures, Tius 3:5 may be referring to deeds/works done without faith, not deeds/works done with faith. You need to balance that verse with other verses, such as ...

James 2:24-26 ....
"a man is justified by works and not by faith alone .... faith wihout works is dead".

Heb 12:14 ...
"Strive ... for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord"

1John 2:3-5 ...
"And by this we may be sure that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He who says “I know him” but disobeys his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him; 5 but whoever keeps his word, in him truly love for God is perfected. By this we may be sure that we are in him".

"There is sin which is deadly" (1John 5:16)

In Rev 3:4, Jesus declares certain believers "worthy" of eternal life due to their works. And when Jesus judges the seven churches in Rev 2 and 3, "works" are mentioned ten times.

"As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is holy, be holy yourselves in all your conduct; since it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.” And if you invoke as Father him who judges each one impartially according to his deeds, conduct yourselves with fear throughout the time of your exile." (1 Peter 1:14-17)

In Matt 7:21-23, Jesus denies salvation to certain believers due to their "lawlessness".
The Bible teaches that this world is cursed by God and is going to be burnt up

Genesis 3:17 (KJV)
[17] And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
[18] Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
[19] In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

2 Peter 3:11 (KJV)
[11] Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
[12] Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
[13] Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

even the memory of all first creation will be removed
Knowledge will cease: 1 Cor 13:8; Rev 21:1-5; Isa 65:17

Some contend that the earth will be renovated but according to God's Word 'all things will be made new' ...

God is going to make all things new (cf. Isa 42:9; 48:6; 66:22; 2 Peter 3:13)

Isa 62:2

1. new things, Isa 42:9; 48:6

2. new song, Isa 42:10 (cf. Rev 5:9; 14:3)

3. something new, Isa 43:19 (cf. Rev 3:12)

4. new name, Isa 62:2 (cf. Isa 56:5)

5. new heavens and a new earth, Isa 65:17; 66:22 (cf. 2 Peter 3:13)

The "new" day (cf. Rev 21:5) was, in reality, the day that God always wanted for humans, but the Fall in Gen 3 caused a terrible disruption! It is surely possible that the Bible's imagery of heaven is a restored Garden of Eden (cf. Rev 21:2).

This is established Biblical theology... so then the question is all this ends and will not be remembered how then can you get eternal things to come from it?

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟325,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have come across many Christians who say they believe and get baptised but lack repentance, are they saved?
This comes from a misunderstanding, related to a wrong way of viewing the doctrine of Sola Fide it could be said. Some think that justification means that sin no longer matters, as long as they believe. But that's not the gospel. In the gospel we're to be convicted of sin, turning to God in repentance stemming from the faith in Him that compels it now, and so be forgiven of that sin and made new creations now empowered by grace, by virtue of sonship/union with Him, to "go, and sin no more." Without repentance forgivness is meaningless, and without continued refraining from sin, or repentance if and when necessary, the gospel is a joke, God would be mocked.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

rwe2156

Mar 30, 2007
✟16,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think repentance is simply "turning from sin and looking to God". It is part of both justification and sanctification.

When a person is born again, there should the start of a new man with a new revelation and sensitivity toward sin.

It may not be at the exact moment of regeneration (who knows) but we definitely have a new relationship with sin.

So my answer is if you think have been born again and you're feelings about sinful acts hasn't changed one iota, you should be concerned.

Upvote 0