Can you and how do you ask God for a sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmeriLovesJesus

BELIEVING IS SEEING
Jan 18, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
✟16,350.00
Faith
Christian
You are wrong. Jesus said to pray in secret. He did not say many words. He said that. He did not say it to hide from "the Devil" (which people uplift when they claim he has powers he does not). But, it is because of our own fleshly hypocrisy.

Jesus did not say many words, if you do not know that He said this, then have you studied and kept by remembrance His witnesses -- the writers of the Good News?

Be aware of anyone who rewrites His words and adds to it. And be especially aware of lifting up Satan - instead of Jesus - in your heart.

Satan has no power over believers anymore. He and his angels have been cast out of Heaven.

As it is written, so it is done.

The end.

What am I wrong about???? That was a response to a post that answered a question I need to find an answer for someone.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Upvote 0

AmeriLovesJesus

BELIEVING IS SEEING
Jan 18, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
✟16,350.00
Faith
Christian
Can someone describe a situation where you've felt confirmation from the Holy Spirit? I've been praying for signs and like the above poster said, I'm not sure if it's a sign or if I'm making it into a sign...b/c I want it to happen.

So, how exactly do you feel when you've been confirmed by the Holy Spirit vs not being confirmed by the Holy Spirit?

Thanks. :D

P.S. So, is it true: Are we supposed to silently say our prayers? Snyder45 said no, but others seem to say yes. I've never heard of this before so I'm curious.

Apparently Snyder45 answered you but quoted a post of mine. Im not sure.. seems confused with the posts.

:)

Upvote 0

Snyder45

Smoking Gun
Mar 8, 2009
Azle, Texas (Eagle Mountain Lake)
✟8,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What am I wrong about???? That was a response to a post that answered a question I need to find an answer for someone.

I already answered this in another post. Jesus told us to pray in secret so we may have an open reward from the Father. (All things hidden are meant to be disclosed, good and bad.)

He said further do not pray as the hypocrites do, openly before men, because they make religion a show for the praise of men.

He did not say do these things "because the Devil may see you".

Did not the Devil see Jesus even when He was hiding in the desert?

People build up the Devil, death, disease, injuries because they view these things with horror from the eyes of the flesh, from the earth. This is not how God views these things. These things are but as illusions to the Lord God Almighty. They are so we can know the Lord's strength and trust in Him despite all appearances of the world. We are not to any longer build up and preach of these things, but if we preach of One Whom We Should Fear, that is the Lord God Almighty who has the power to kill one and awake them in a land they know not... to throw them into Hell and the Lake of Fire.

You should teach people should pray in secret. They should pray in their hearts and go off as well to lonely places. There are times to pray before others, to honor God. (As we have seen in Scripture with the Prophets and Kings of the Lord.)

But, we should always be praying in our hearts, as well, which is where there real secrets are -- our secret treasures and where the Kingdom hides.

Is that not really what the Lord was speaking of, to continuously consider and meditate on the will of God and seek Him within ourselves?

But, my correction about your post, is not about those things, but that you say it is "because the Devil can hear you". In a sense, you were correct, for our accusers are all around and those who are of the Devil that would honor you for such things done openly -- knowing full and well that when people do this they dishonor God.

Upvote 0

Snyder45

Smoking Gun
Mar 8, 2009
✟8,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Apparently Snyder45 answered you but quoted a post of mine. Im not sure.. seems confused with the posts.

:)

I am not confused with the posts. He read my post and misunderstood it.

You said something else which was wrong.

I am not confused in the slightest.

People uplift fear of the Devil and nonsense which they do not understand when they say such things.

Who is in us is far mightier then the Devil.

What you have said about the Lord's teaching is wrong and you need to seek forgiveness for that.

Upvote 0

Snyder45

Smoking Gun
Mar 8, 2009
✟8,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

People uplift fear of the Devil and nonsense which they do not understand when they say such things.

What you have said about the Lord's teaching is wrong and you need to seek forgiveness for that.

Regardless, what these two have said is wrong, but I have stated this to them and will not state it again, so I will unsubscribe from this thread.

Anyone who uplifts the Devil to fear instead of the Almighty God who stated of the Devil "I make him a pet for my daughters" (the Leviathan, Job) are not serving the cause of God.

If these two wish to apologize and correct their statements, I do ask they private message me.

Upvote 0

renewedfaith

May 28, 2009
✟7,697.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I think you are misunderstanding what ppl are saying. Let me give you an example.

Let's say Joe has two job interviews, and both employers call him and say he's got the job. He doesn't know what to do, and doesn't have one that he favors over the other, so he prays specifically. His prayer would go something like this;

God, if you want me to have job ''A'' give me a sign. Make the phone ring at 5:30pm and let it be ''bob''. The prayer has just sent satan a signal, and now satan has something to toy with b/c he is not deaf. This is NOT to say that satan has any power over God, but we aren't in heaven yet, and satan still roams. God never guaranteed that satan would never try and trick or deceive us...in fact he told us it's the opposite.

I personally don't believe in asking for signs like that, but if i did, i would pray them quietly.

Upvote 0

AmeriLovesJesus

BELIEVING IS SEEING
Jan 18, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
✟16,350.00
Faith
Christian

I said nothing that was wrong.. but said Thank you to another poster as I needed advice on something. Thank you is not wrong. soooo....... I said nothing about that lords forgiveness in the post you quoted either.

God does send signs of conformation at times when we need them the most.. he does more often speak through his word of course... which is where we should always look.. which I do.. but he does shows signs through other things.. Mostly though we can feel conformation inside of us...

Upvote 0

AmeriLovesJesus

BELIEVING IS SEEING
Jan 18, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
✟16,350.00
Faith
Christian
I already answered this in another post. Jesus told us to pray in secret so we may have an open reward from the Father. (All things hidden are meant to be disclosed, good and bad.)

He said further do not pray as the hypocrites do, openly before men, because they make religion a show for the praise of men.

He did not say do these things "because the Devil may see you".

Did not the Devil see Jesus even when He was hiding in the desert?

People build up the Devil, death, disease, injuries because they view these things with horror from the eyes of the flesh, from the earth. This is not how God views these things. These things are but as illusions to the Lord God Almighty. They are so we can know the Lord's strength and trust in Him despite all appearances of the world. We are not to any longer build up and preach of these things, but if we preach of One Whom We Should Fear, that is the Lord God Almighty who has the power to kill one and awake them in a land they know not... to throw them into Hell and the Lake of Fire.

You should teach people should pray in secret. They should pray in their hearts and go off as well to lonely places. There are times to pray before others, to honor God. (As we have seen in Scripture with the Prophets and Kings of the Lord.)

But, we should always be praying in our hearts, as well, which is where there real secrets are -- our secret treasures and where the Kingdom hides.

Is that not really what the Lord was speaking of, to continuously consider and meditate on the will of God and seek Him within ourselves?

But, my correction about your post, is not about those things, but that you say it is "because the Devil can hear you". In a sense, you were correct, for our accusers are all around and those who are of the Devil that would honor you for such things done openly -- knowing full and well that when people do this they dishonor God.

I do like your response here... your advice appreciated.. which I never pray in the open... as Im a secretive person anyway... I know the damage that can be done..

However Im still not the one who said it. :) You say you answered this in another post???

Upvote 0

Snyder45

Smoking Gun
Mar 8, 2009
✟8,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You said it when you agreed with the statement and further defended it:

"
Whatever you do, do not ever pray it out loud, or tell anyone,.... Satan is listening, and while he is not able to read your mind... if he finds out that you want a sign or what sign you are looking for.. then he can use it to his advantage..

THANK YOU!!!!!! I know this post is not mine.. but it really cleared up... things.... THANK YOU!!!!"

Do you now understand it is not because of "Satan is listening" we do this, but it is so we might have in secret that God may reveal in the End Day?

This one who taught this is then the one with guilt remaining, but he has his own trials and tribulations to go through.

Those who teach such false doctrine are far more responsible then those who acknowledge it as true.

Okay?

I sincerely do not wish to contend with you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AmeriLovesJesus

BELIEVING IS SEEING
Jan 18, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
✟16,350.00
Faith
Christian
You said it when you agreed with the statement and further defended it:

"
Whatever you do, do not ever pray it out loud, or tell anyone,.... Satan is listening, and while he is not able to read your mind... if he finds out that you want a sign or what sign you are looking for.. then he can use it to his advantage..

THANK YOU!!!!!! I know this post is not mine.. but it really cleared up... things.... THANK YOU!!!!"

Do you now understand it is not because of "Satan is listening" we do this, but it is so we might have in secret that God may reveal in the End Day?

This one who taught this is then the one with guilt remaining, but he has his own trials and tribulations to go through.

Those who teach such false doctrine are far more responsible then those who acknowledge it as true.

Okay?

I sincerely do not wish to contend with you.

No trouble here.. I was just curious as to what you were referring to.. Im always open for further understanding & explanation as its helps me to improve.... Without their post I would have never consider or tried to strengthen my knowledge of praying with God...

Which now leads me to your advice..

I have questions though..

Now you say its not about Satan listening its about God. Okay.
There are others here who say he hears.. what about praising God out loud when a prayer is answered or if you're saying out loud that you know God with come through for this (during a bad situation) ... I just feel when some say not speak out because the devil is listening it destroys sharing our experiences from God with others to help them be more hopeful...

I probably sound way off here.. but thats whats going through my mind right now since this post has come up. Learn something new everyday.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

aflower4God

observant petal
Jan 3, 2007
✟16,330.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Amen, i have a dear friend where as this has been done to her and now because of this she is totally obsessing over something that is very ungodly. I was also told that praying in silently is one of the best ways because of this as well.

My sign would be the presence of the Holy Spirit.
I had an area where I asked for a sign. I got it, but still sort of doubted if it was a sign from God, or MY making it into a sign. So I prayed for confirmation and felt the Holy Spirit. That pretty much told me right there!
This is exactly what I do. I think God can give us signs (that is one of the things that lead me to Christ). Now that I am a Christian and when I silently pray for any sign and get it I most certainly ask the God for confirmation right away in silence.
Good thread. :)

Upvote 0

Caonus

Dec 4, 2008
Jerusalem
✟204.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For those areas that seem gray, how do you know if it's you or if it's God? Is it OK to ask God for a sign for confirmation, and if it is, how do you go about doing so?

Thanks and God bless!!

What Moses did was hit the rock of Christ with a stick until water came out.

I would suggest skipping that part.

You need no sign - where is faith in a sign - just ask for the Holy Spirit in prayer and receive it. Then all doubts will be gone and you may do that which the good Lord has granted you to do.

Upvote 0

bluegreysky

Can't adult today.
Sep 11, 2006
Saint Augustine, FL
✟22,012.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For those areas that seem gray, how do you know if it's you or if it's God? Is it OK to ask God for a sign for confirmation, and if it is, how do you go about doing so?

Thanks and God bless!!

Just tell God you don't get it.
The key is be open minded about what kind of sign- like don't just go assuming its going to be a cliche like a bright flash of lightning or a hidden message in between the lines on a newspaper...
Signs are different all the time,
but one of the wisest pieces of advice I got from a trusted friend was that if God wants you to do something or take a certain side on an issue,
you'll start hearing the same answer from many different people.
Sometimes, the answer will come when you ask other people that believe in God. Sometimes, the answer will come from a random person you didn't even ask. Just pay attention to when 4 different unrelated people who don't really know you that well tell you that "you should go ahead and break up with him".
I learned the hard way...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

Thanks and God bless!!

HIS INSPIRED WORD is HIS Sign!

When your broken-heart is healed, delivered from evil, set free from captivity, then these are three important signs.

When you love others as much as you love yourself, is another sign.

When you confess and repent your sin or sins, and forgive those who trespass against you, HIS forgiveness is another sign.

And I can assure you when you are in danger of a severe spiritual attack from the enemy, HE will send a sign.

You can ask HIM in prayer, but you NEVER TEST HIM.

Blessings.:)

Upvote 0

iamjcs

Dec 19, 2005
NE Alabama
✟2,345.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks and God bless!!
Judges 6:36-38 (NIV)
[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]36 Gideon said to God, "If you will save Israel by my hand as you have promised-- [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]37 look, I will place a wool fleece on the threshing floor. If there is dew only on the fleece and all the ground is dry, then I will know that you will save Israel by my hand, as you said." [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]38 And that is what happened. Gideon rose early the next day; he squeezed the fleece and wrung out the dew--a bowlful of water. [/FONT]
Gideon did NOT want to put LOTS of other people's lives at stake wrongly, so he verified it was truly God leading to do this. He was NOT faulted by God for doing this.

May God bless you too. :=)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.