Poverty, illness, disgrace. Is this the life that God wanted to give me?

headphones777

Aug 2, 2022
Colombo
✟21,071.00
Country
Sri Lanka
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
If so, why then did he sacrifice Jesus, only for me (and probably many others) to have a disgraceful existence, filled with nothing but disgrace, poverty, illness, failure and hopelessness? It doesn't make sense, didn't Jesus say "I came that you might have life and have it more abundantly"? Why would God send his Son to die for me (and many others), so that I could live a mediocre life? And I am not only speaking in terms of material prosperity, but in a sense of spiritual blessings as well. Yes I am a Christian, and yes I do pray everyday and I practice my faith. Yet God has not come through for me. So many things have gone wrong in the last ten years for me that it has been like Hell on earth at times. Yet there is no hope of restoration or vindication for me. And there are so many things in my past that I cannot explain that do not make sense, there might've been times when God would speak to me or give me a sign, yet it was so rare and it still doesn't make sense, I cannot understand the meaning behind it or if it was even him or if I interpreted it incorrectly. Even when I make a sincere effort to turn from my sins and pray and seek God's presence, he does not grace me with his voice or his presence. I suppose I have to conclude that my life is of little value or importance to God and that he hates me for some mysterious reason that is beyond my understanding.

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think we live the life we choose to live. God can and will help you, but you have to be willing to fight for the life that you desire. Oparah Winfrey was one of many who became successful from poverty, and she grew up in the time of real racism. My daughter was telling me about her financial situation and said "well, I'm just a single mom" and I said, "And your point?" I told her to get a second job and take care of your money and fight for the life you want. I know God wants us to live an abundant life but He's not Santa Clause, but I do know He's helped me times of true need in my youth 30s with drugs and later in life with alcholism.50s. Even healed my heart a few months ago. In my 60s I reflect and see the missed opportunities that were placed before me. The longer I live the more I recognize the wisdom of the bible especially Proverbs and other NT writing. Be Blessed

Reactions: headphones777
Upvote 0

headphones777

Aug 2, 2022
Colombo
✟21,071.00
Country
Sri Lanka
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think we live the life we choose to live. God can and will help you, but you have to be willing to fight for the life that you desire. Oparah Winfrey was one of many who became successful from poverty, and she grew up in the time of real racism. My daughter was telling me about her financial situation and said "well, I'm just a single mom" and I said, "And your point?" I told her to get a second job and take care of your money and fight for the life you want. I know God wants us to live an abundant life but He's not Santa Clause, but I do know He's helped me times of true need in my youth 30s with drugs and later in life with alcholism.50s. Even healed my heart a few months ago. In my 60s I reflect and see the missed opportunities that were placed before me. The longer I live the more I recognize the wisdom of the bible especially Proverbs and other NT writing. Be Blessed
Yeah well it's hard to fight for the life you want when you have health issues or everything has been going wrong. I did have dreams that I wanted to fulfill (that were morally good) yet I was treated with scorn and contempt and abused and villified and my life went from bad to worse. So sorry but your experience does not invalidate or justifiy my suffering. Now everything that is left of my life is just like... some kind of debris? Like the debris from a war. God has not helped me in the least to achieve my dreams or the life I want despite years of prayers. The only thing I can be thankful for is that I've had intercourse a few times, however even that loses its charm in the long run.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You could have joy in your salvation and in knowing Christ. With Him it isn’t all suffering and bummers and sadness. God has given you what God has given you also this is all you can get for yourself. Jesus plus nothing is good. not many blessings except himself. I know though that my life too doesn’t always make sense. But I am useful to Him, I have joy anyways, but I have blessings- a good wife, a place to live, enough food, a good church. I am willing to follow him wherever. It’s easy to say but if I was in your shoes…I would still have a relationship with him and have a friend. Hang in there with Him, find your joy in Him. The poor are rich in faith. He loves you just the way you are.

I can say these things because I think you want to hear them. With all the resistant people on here, I still believe that Jesus is the answer for everything. I believe you can have a good purpose for your life you can’t see now. Don’t give up, He has the words of eternal life. Just you and him? It is enough. He believes in you, that you can have a life worth living.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,888.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Yes I am a Christian, and yes I do pray everyday and I practice my faith. Yet God has not come through for me.
So what you've done is put up here what you consider to be your righteous conduct and you're claiming God has been indifferent and unjust . Might I kindly suggest you should make a quality resolve to get off that road (or way of reasoning) and get off of it forever. That's really the first base issue that we must deal with at the start that we're not going to look to God that HE IS THE ONE who has done something wrong.

I refuse, refuse, refuse, refuse to think that way. Such thinking is a delusion of Satan and is a lie regardless regardless as to how much your mind wants to tell you this.

One can claim well I've done this and that or this.....God didn't keep his word! I'd think God has a right to bring a different perspective to that. This might help that is if one chooses to have and ear to hear. I trust and hope that you will.

An analogy: A parent tells their offspring they will give them a blessing, reward....or maybe a little money for doing the dishes. The child agrees. The parent leaves. The kid does the dishes. The parent comes back. (see discussion below),

Parent: I thought I told you to do the dishes?

Kid: I did. I washed them all.

Parent: Well you may have done what YOU CALL wash the dishes but there's food marks still all over them! Get back and do it again until you get it right!

So the question----> Was it that the parent didn't come through for the kid?....Or is it rather that the kid didn't come through for the parent and for themselves as well not making it possible for the parent to bless them?

And what would we think of the kid that ran out the door after their parent said this and they started to tell everybody how unfair and unreasonable their father or mother has been ? Oh sure they might sway the gullible that yeah that kid's parent must be such an uncaring individual but what would they have instilled within the hearer? A lie and deception which isn't true.

Reactions: Divide
Upvote 0

headphones777

Aug 2, 2022
Colombo
✟21,071.00
Country
Sri Lanka
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
So what you've done is put up here what you consider to be your righteous conduct and you're claiming God has been indifferent and unjust . Might I kindly suggest you should make a quality resolve to get off that road (or way of reasoning) and get off of it forever. That's really the first base issue that we must deal with at the start that we're not going to look to God that HE IS THE ONE who has done something wrong.

I refuse, refuse, refuse, refuse to think that way. Such thinking is a delusion of Satan and is a lie regardless regardless as to how much your mind wants to tell you this.

One can claim well I've done this and that or this.....God didn't keep his word! I'd think God has a right to bring a different perspective to that. This might help that is if one chooses to have and ear to hear. I trust and hope that you will.

An analogy: A parent tells their offspring they will give them a blessing, reward....or maybe a little money for doing the dishes. The child agrees. The parent leaves. The kid does the dishes. The parent comes back. (see discussion below),

Parent: I thought I told you to do the dishes?

Kid: I did. I washed them all.

Parent: Well you may have done what YOU CALL wash the dishes but there's food marks still all over them! Get back and do it again until you get it right!

So the question----> Was it that the parent didn't come through for the kid?....Or is it rather that the kid didn't come through for the parent and for themselves as well not making it possible for the parent to bless them?

And what would we think of the kid that ran out the door after their parent said this and they started to tell everybody how unfair and unreasonable their father or mother has been ? Oh sure they might sway the gullible that yeah that kid's parent must be such an uncaring individual but what would they have instilled within the hearer? A lie and deception which isn't true.
This is very easy for you to say, yet you do not know anything about me or what I've been through. Your analogy is not useful at all in this case, so no, sorry. And I only mentioned my prayer because I wanted to highlight my prayer life, not in order to showcase my self-righteousness.

Upvote 0

headphones777

Aug 2, 2022
Colombo
✟21,071.00
Country
Sri Lanka
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You could have joy in your salvation and in knowing Christ. With Him it isn’t all suffering and bummers and sadness. God has given you what God has given you also this is all you can get for yourself. Jesus plus nothing is good. not many blessings except himself. I know though that my life too doesn’t always make sense. But I am useful to Him, I have joy anyways, but I have blessings- a good wife, a place to live, enough food, a good church. I am willing to follow him wherever. It’s easy to say but if I was in your shoes…I would still have a relationship with him and have a friend. Hang in there with Him, find your joy in Him. The poor are rich in faith. He loves you just the way you are.

I can say these things because I think you want to hear them. With all the resistant people on here, I still believe that Jesus is the answer for everything. I believe you can have a good purpose for your life you can’t see now. Don’t give up, He has the words of eternal life. Just you and him? It is enough. He believes in you, that you can have a life worth living.
You do not understand anything. Speak to Jesus? Yeah well, how?? By sitting on the floor for an hour and waiting for him to speak, yet he never does?? Where should I go to speak to him? Some faraway distant land? God does not want to speak to me. If so, he would've because I make the effort to seek him, yet I do not get any response.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,888.00
Faith
Non-Denom
This is very easy for you to say, yet you do not know anything about me or what I've been through.
You've told us some things you've been through. And don't tell me it's easy for me to say.....YOU DON'T KNOW all the things I've gone through in 67 years.
Your analogy is not useful at all in this case, so no, sorry.
;And why would that be? Perhaps because you're not willing to have it suggest that you haven't done everything perhaps reasonably and refuse to accept that you haven't. Like the kid in my analogy?
And I only mentioned my prayer because I wanted to highlight my prayer life, not in order to showcase my self-righteousness.
You did not! You've said you've done this and done that or this and you're claiming your more fair than God. You're claiming you did your part but God doesn't which go to mean that you think you're more just than God. You've said to you have many a sincere effort to turn from sin. (your words) but God has failed you, let you down or didn't come through. . In other words you're doing right and God is dong wrong.

Then there's this,
I have to conclude that my life is of little value or importance to God and that he hates me for some mysterious reason that is beyond my understanding.

You only have to conclude that if you're choosing to buy into the devil's lies and insult the Spirit of Grace. Christ came to the earth for you, he died, had spikes driven into his hands and feet and a spear thrust into his side and a crown of thorns slammed down on his head....for YOU!

You should be telling Satan in no uncertain terms don't even think about telling me God doesn't love me. I may have to do more inventory to see areas where I might have been missing it but such I will do and when i see them I"ll make corrections. But never, EVER will I say God doesn't love me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Matt5

Jun 12, 2019
Zürich
✟133,588.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The rule of complaining: You are only allowed to complain if you are doing something to fix the problem.

It's a little late when you already find yourself in the middle of one or more big problems.

Generally, the state you find yourself in was caused by decisions you made or didn't make many years ago. Where did you go wrong?

My life sucked from age 18 to 28. I was dirt poor with a heavy emphasis on the dirt, but I had a plan. You need to get a plan.

If you take care of the big things, then everything else will be much easier.

Use the free resources on the internet in order to train yourself in something useful. For example, Salesforce offers free training on their CRM system. There are Salesforce jobs in Sri Lanka and Indian. If possible, move to a country that is mostly Christian. Those are the big things.

Upvote 0

headphones777

Aug 2, 2022
Colombo
✟21,071.00
Country
Sri Lanka
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The rule of complaining: You are only allowed to complain if you are doing something to fix the problem.

It's a little late when you already find yourself in the middle of one or more big problems.

Generally, the state you find yourself in was caused by decisions you made or didn't make many years ago. Where did you go wrong?

My life sucked from age 18 to 28. I was dirt poor with a heavy emphasis on the dirt, but I had a plan. You need to get a plan.

If you take care of the big things, then everything else will be much easier.

Use the free resources on the internet in order to train yourself in something useful. For example, Salesforce offers free training on their CRM system. There are Salesforce jobs in Sri Lanka and Indian. If possible, move to a country that is mostly Christian. Those are the big things.

I have a frail health and I cannot move anywhere due to circumstances in my life. So your advice is not applicable to my situation. I am 28 years and I have no career and no source of income beyond the monthly allowance from the state.
Yeah where did I go wrong? Probably a lot of years ago, but even if I want with all of my heart to rectify the mistakes I did back then, it seems I cannot. And so I ask God for help to amend my mistakes and my life, yet I sense no change, no hope on the horizon for me and no response to my prayers. It's like he has forgotten about me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,888.00
Faith
Non-Denom
What about this? I'm collecting a history for the best plan for action.
Very good.

There's always something one can do to improve on the place they find themselves in life. (as a general rule)

I find inspirational the story of Nick Vujici who doesn't have legs or arms.....but he's refused to allow it to get him down and set forth an agenda for happiness.

• Winner
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You do not understand anything. Speak to Jesus? Yeah well, how?? By sitting on the floor for an hour and waiting for him to speak, yet he never does?? Where should I go to speak to him? Some faraway distant land? God does not want to speak to me. If so, he would've because I make the effort to seek him, yet I do not get any response.

He let the Israelites wander in the desert for 40 years because He did not like to hear them complaining and not obeying His directives.

The Lord rewards obedience. When I became a Christian and began following the Lord it wasnt very long until He began doing good things in my life. I have many testimonies of the good things that the Lord has done for me.

You want the Lord to help you also. I understand that! And if the Lord has not been helping you (which is doubtful, you just can't see it), then I would assume that there is an obedience thing in some area of your life that you may have fallen short in? You said you have no hope. You said you wont pray to God. Can I also assume that you do not read His words to you (your Bible)?

If the answer is yes, then we have found the reason for your difficulties. If you wont obey the Lord and read and pray, then why would you expect anything from Him? My Bible says, Ye have not because ye ask not.

A lack of hope sounds like a job for the book of Psalms in the bible. When I feel discouraged I read Psalms. That always puts things back into perspective for me. It's like the book of Promises or something!

You need to get your hope back and your Faith in God. This is properly done by reading the word of God. It's not like you don't have lots of time to read, right? Maybe this is what the Lord wants for you as your lot in life? All the Lord wants to see from us is that we trust Him no matter what. Paul says, we need to be content with our lives whatever our station may be. If things never change for the better for you, is there still any way that you could show a profit for the Lord by doing something, anything, for Him.

Remember the parable of Lazarus and the rich man? Lazarus was afflicted and a beggar on earth, and the rich man enjoyed the many comforts in life that sometimes are enhanced by being rich. But the Rich man was then in Torment. Lazarus was being comforted. Lazarus will have a great reward in Heaven because he was poor destitute and ailing on earth.

Every time that the Lord has ever helped me in a miraculous way it has always been, Last Minute but Never Late.

Have faith in your Lord! Trust him. Look at your life and just see...do you spend more time on the things of the world, or more time reading God's word? And make some adjustments if necessary. Then the Lord will sneak up on you with a Blessing! (Ask me how I know!)

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Where do you go to speak to the Lord? He will come to you, Sister. Wherever you are. You gave your life to the Lord and became a Christian, correct?

Ok then if you accepted Jesus into your life as Lord, then you have the Holy Spirit with you at all times already.

Do you understand that, Prayer is not a monolgue? Prayer is a Dialogue where you and the Lord speak to each other. Do you want to learn how to hear the still small voice of God within you?

It doesnt matter if you are angry or whatever, the Lord still wants to hear from you. Tell the Lord your dreams and ask if He will help you to accomplish them. Then stop praying and kisten for Him to respond. If He is going to respond at all, he will respond fast. Usually it is my very next thought that pops into my head after I ask something. It is sometimes a scripture that the Lord is reminding me of, or sometimes it is words that sound like my own thoughts except they are not my thoughts, they are the Lords words to me.

So, talk/pray...listen...take your first thought as His answer and when He stops talking, it is your turn to talk more to Him.

I can already see that this sounds like some sort of childrens game, however, doesn't scripture say that we must become as little children to see and enter the Kingdom of God? So it's not like playing a game will hurt you any. And that is how I treated it to calm my carnal mind. So I will ask and then hear a scripture, then ask somethng else, and I kid you not, it turned into a regular conversation inside of me!

I got better being able to hear the still small voice. And I noticed over time a few things. When we speak with the Lord, the way He talks is not the way that I think or talk. And He seems to have a knack for being able to (always) say just the right thing, in the right way. He sounds like Just how He sounds in the Bible. He never says anything that contradicts scripture. He also doesn't always say what I want Him to say! I have said no to Him before! I didn't want to do that! He talked me into it and I'm glad. Our Lord is so good. He wants to hear from you!

Upvote 0

headphones777

Aug 2, 2022
Colombo
✟21,071.00
Country
Sri Lanka
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
He let the Israelites wander in the desert for 40 years because He did not like to hear them complaining and not obeying His directives.

The Lord rewards obedience. When I became a Christian and began following the Lord it wasnt very long until He began doing good things in my life. I have many testimonies of the good things that the Lord has done for me.

You want the Lord to help you also. I understand that! And if the Lord has not been helping you (which is doubtful, you just can't see it), then I would assume that there is an obedience thing in some area of your life that you may have fallen short in? You said you have no hope. You said you wont pray to God. Can I also assume that you do not read His words to you (your Bible)?

If the answer is yes, then we have found the reason for your difficulties. If you wont obey the Lord and read and pray, then why would you expect anything from Him? My Bible says, Ye have not because ye ask not.

A lack of hope sounds like a job for the book of Psalms in the bible. When I feel discouraged I read Psalms. That always puts things back into perspective for me. It's like the book of Promises or something!

You need to get your hope back and your Faith in God. This is properly done by reading the word of God. It's not like you don't have lots of time to read, right? Maybe this is what the Lord wants for you as your lot in life? All the Lord wants to see from us is that we trust Him no matter what. Paul says, we need to be content with our lives whatever our station may be. If things never change for the better for you, is there still any way that you could show a profit for the Lord by doing something, anything, for Him.

Remember the parable of Lazarus and the rich man? Lazarus was afflicted and a beggar on earth, and the rich man enjoyed the many comforts in life that sometimes are enhanced by being rich. But the Rich man was then in Torment. Lazarus was being comforted. Lazarus will have a great reward in Heaven because he was poor destitute and ailing on earth.

Every time that the Lord has ever helped me in a miraculous way it has always been, Last Minute but Never Late.

Have faith in your Lord! Trust him. Look at your life and just see...do you spend more time on the things of the world, or more time reading God's word? And make some adjustments if necessary. Then the Lord will sneak up on you with a Blessing! (Ask me how I know!)
I read the Bible everyday ... to no avail...

Upvote 0