How to discern dreams that are of God/not of God?

amireallyokay

Jan 8, 2024
Riverside
✟325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have been having a number of vivid dreams lately since October last year. So vivid that I mistake these as glimpses into my future, and that I've begun keeping written record of them. These dreams are not back to back; I either get one or two a week, or up to 3 times per month. It started off with celebrity dreams, where in the dream I am talking to at least one celebrity in the music industry and we're really good friends. These celebrities were not people whom I idolized or even thought of before. Since then I have added the ones I've encountered in dreams to my prayer list as it seems pretty certain that they are not Christian at all. I pray that their hearts would not be hardened at the mention of God's name and that they would have someone godly in their surroundings who could help with their spiritual walk.

I also want to add that I have a strong penchant for music. I produce my own music and have grown up with a musical background for nearly all my life. The celebrities whom I have been dreaming of are all associated with the Kpop industry, which we all know shares some resemblance to the very corrupt, demonic Western music scene today. My dream is a far stretch, but I want to step into these dangerous waters and evangelize to those. A few of these kpop celebrities have publicly announced their beliefs, but have strayed away since and have returned to a more worldly stance. Even more insulting are those who claim to be in the faith but dress provocatively and rap about worldly, sexual themes.

I even had a few sexual dreams in the midst of this where I am being intimate with these celebrities. A quick internet search revealed Evangelist Joshua, who mentioned spirit spouses, which I had never heard of before. In response, I prayed that God would rebuke these marine spirits/spirit husbands, and since then these sexual dreams have stopped, and now when I dream of these same celebrities it only reflects genuine, close moments of friendship with them, something which is absent in my life. I have no friends and do desire having a friendship with someone, yet also don't want one because once you spend a lot of time alone long-term, you get used to it.

I've also had a few "end times" dreams. Once as a child, I saw in my dreams a large tornado ripping everything apart in its path. Another I've had last year where I was at a Christian conference and suddenly, a fleet of planes bearing a yellow and blue stripe were dropping large stone tablets on top of us, bouncing on the ground and crashing through the roof, instantly crushing unlucky families who were in its path. Suddenly I was in a car with others and there were explosive missiles flying through the air and exploding in front of us. The entire duration of the dream, I was strangely calm in the midst of this chaos and attempted to guide people to safety (none of them listened and most of them huddled into a small movie theatre, where another stone projectile crashed through the ceiling and crushed more people).

I am very ashamed to admit this but I have been in two past relationships were things got very intimate. Looking back, I still can't figure out what the heck was going on in my mind when I was getting entangled with those two, who were nonbelievers (now it's clear why the Bible clearly warns us of being yoked with nonbelievers). It has been a year and a half since my second relationship and I've sworn off romance completely. There was a sudden move that occurred summer of last year and I'm now living quite some distance away from my previous home.

There is a man I see at a place I volunteer at on a weekly basis. I can say with 100% confidence that it was not love at first sight. He is actually not my type at all, yet something about him greatly intrigues me. I prayed last night that if this man is my future spouse or will have an impact on my life in some way or another, that God would show me. That same night, I had a dream where in the same location where my volunteer work is, I witnessed in front of me, one of the employees asking him what his religious belief was, and he replied, "Baptist." The dream ended right there and I woke up. Immediately I prayed, asking for God to step in for clarification, and if He desires so, to break this invisible barrier between us so that we can start to talk and get to know each other better. I've seen him for more than a month now not long after I started my volunteer work, and we have never spoke to each other other than the basic "Hi," "Bye" greetings.

Sorry for all this rambling! There are more dreams I've had that would end up taking a while to write about, but I would like to get your thoughts and opinions on how to discern which dreams are of God and which are not. My past has been littered with mistakes I've made by having poor discernment, and I know that our God is not a god of confusion.

turkle

Blessed
Jan 25, 2004
✟227,007.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it's unwise to assume that dreams as messages from God. Dreams are random, and are affected by stress, circumstances, health, and even what you eat.

The focus of a believer should always be deep prayer, learning from Scripture and communion with the Holy Spirit. Unless you are being led in prayer to explore a dream, which is highly unlikely, I would just assume it was too much pizza.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,373.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God communicates with us in various ways.. When these experiences are from Him, He gives the interpretation. He can use folks to interpret as He did with Joseph and Daniel.

Gen 40 "And Joseph said unto them, Do not interpretations belong to God? tell me them, I pray you." Joseph told the butler and baker the interpretation of their dreams Fulfilled in Gen 40. Also, God gave Daniel understanding in all visions and dreams.(Dan 1-4, 7)

Keeping a journal will help. Encourage you to asks the Lord to give you understanding of the ones He's given and to block all others. Then as He gives insight, we can add to our journals.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
About the dream where you hear the guy is Baptist and the dream stops >

In case that was God, I can see how God means for you to not find out everything in a dream, but discover through prayer and however God leads you in your life awake, including seeing how your actual relating with the man develops.

You need discerning all through the day, not only some one interpretation of a dream guiding your life.

"Test all things; hold fast what is good." (1 Thessalonians 5:21)

I now see how "all things" means everything; God wants you to test every thing in sharing with Him guiding you with perspective He shares with you. So, then, God wants us to be so intimate with Him, all the time.

And now you have had real-life proof of how sex is not intimacy of love, but only physical sensations and maybe intimacy only with your own feelings. But in God's love we can stay intimate with various other children of God who are also submitting to and sharing with God and us through Jesus Christ who is God's own Son.

So, you are wise to share with mature senior Christians and discover how intimacy is with them, so this can feed how you need to become with someone our Father has for you to marry.

Whoever you belong with is not for isolation with each other, but in connection to God in submission to Him in His peace, in sharing with various other Christians who help you while you two minister to them and reach to lost and ruined people.

God's love is so sweeter and more pleasant than what I have produced in immoral stuff. And He satisfies and gives us "rest for your souls" (in Matthew 11:28-30). And He makes us able to relate with mutual submission how He has us sharing >

"submitting to one another in the fear of God." (Ephesians 5:21)

With Him, we are creative, discovering better than what we can expect and struggle and argue to get.

Last edited:
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Emma2332

Jan 10, 2024
Boise
✟891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Does anyone know what a chin mean in a dream. I had a dream about a coworker I work with. In the dream I was removing something off their chin then after that they wanted to go outside to release. What does that mean? In the same dream I saw another coworker who was on crutches and it look like she was having a hard time trying to do the work while injured.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I have been having a number of vivid dreams lately since October last year. So vivid that I mistake these as glimpses into my future, and that I've begun keeping written record of them. These dreams are not back to back; I either get one or two a week, or up to 3 times per month. It started off with celebrity dreams, where in the dream I am talking to at least one celebrity in the music industry and we're really good friends. These celebrities were not people whom I idolized or even thought of before. Since then I have added the ones I've encountered in dreams to my prayer list as it seems pretty certain that they are not Christian at all. I pray that their hearts would not be hardened at the mention of God's name and that they would have someone godly in their surroundings who could help with their spiritual walk.

I also want to add that I have a strong penchant for music. I produce my own music and have grown up with a musical background for nearly all my life. The celebrities whom I have been dreaming of are all associated with the Kpop industry, which we all know shares some resemblance to the very corrupt, demonic Western music scene today. My dream is a far stretch, but I want to step into these dangerous waters and evangelize to those. A few of these kpop celebrities have publicly announced their beliefs, but have strayed away since and have returned to a more worldly stance. Even more insulting are those who claim to be in the faith but dress provocatively and rap about worldly, sexual themes.

I even had a few sexual dreams in the midst of this where I am being intimate with these celebrities. A quick internet search revealed Evangelist Joshua, who mentioned spirit spouses, which I had never heard of before. In response, I prayed that God would rebuke these marine spirits/spirit husbands, and since then these sexual dreams have stopped, and now when I dream of these same celebrities it only reflects genuine, close moments of friendship with them, something which is absent in my life. I have no friends and do desire having a friendship with someone, yet also don't want one because once you spend a lot of time alone long-term, you get used to it.

I've also had a few "end times" dreams. Once as a child, I saw in my dreams a large tornado ripping everything apart in its path. Another I've had last year where I was at a Christian conference and suddenly, a fleet of planes bearing a yellow and blue stripe were dropping large stone tablets on top of us, bouncing on the ground and crashing through the roof, instantly crushing unlucky families who were in its path. Suddenly I was in a car with others and there were explosive missiles flying through the air and exploding in front of us. The entire duration of the dream, I was strangely calm in the midst of this chaos and attempted to guide people to safety (none of them listened and most of them huddled into a small movie theatre, where another stone projectile crashed through the ceiling and crushed more people).

I am very ashamed to admit this but I have been in two past relationships were things got very intimate. Looking back, I still can't figure out what the heck was going on in my mind when I was getting entangled with those two, who were nonbelievers (now it's clear why the Bible clearly warns us of being yoked with nonbelievers). It has been a year and a half since my second relationship and I've sworn off romance completely. There was a sudden move that occurred summer of last year and I'm now living quite some distance away from my previous home.

There is a man I see at a place I volunteer at on a weekly basis. I can say with 100% confidence that it was not love at first sight. He is actually not my type at all, yet something about him greatly intrigues me. I prayed last night that if this man is my future spouse or will have an impact on my life in some way or another, that God would show me. That same night, I had a dream where in the same location where my volunteer work is, I witnessed in front of me, one of the employees asking him what his religious belief was, and he replied, "Baptist." The dream ended right there and I woke up. Immediately I prayed, asking for God to step in for clarification, and if He desires so, to break this invisible barrier between us so that we can start to talk and get to know each other better. I've seen him for more than a month now not long after I started my volunteer work, and we have never spoke to each other other than the basic "Hi," "Bye" greetings.

Sorry for all this rambling! There are more dreams I've had that would end up taking a while to write about, but I would like to get your thoughts and opinions on how to discern which dreams are of God and which are not. My past has been littered with mistakes I've made by having poor discernment, and I know that our God is not a god of confusion.
I treat all dreams as products of my imagination worked out during sleep, unless it becomes perfectly clear without doubt that there is a message from God in the dream. If I have to ask whether the dream is of God or not, then it is definitely not of God.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
"Adonai says: “In the Last Days, I will pour out from my Spirit upon everyone. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams." (Acts 2:17)
We need to take notice of Jeremiah 23:25: "I have heard what the prophets have said who prophesy lies in my name, saying, ‘I have dreamed, I have dreamed!’"

We have to assume that nine out of every ten dreams come from the world, flesh or the devil. Most of the dreams that I see reported are made up of fractured, confused images and symbols, and the person having the dream has to ask for an interpretation. My view is that if a person has to ask for an interpretation of a dream, then it is not of God. A dream from God has a definite message which the person doesn't have to interpret and in that dream are directions to follow or indication of someone who needs prayer. Even then, one must search the Scriptures to ensure that the dream really does come from God.

I have vivid dreams all the time, which are like actually being there. They are very logical while I am dreaming them, and the dreams depict real people whom I may know, and whom I don't. I have real conversions with these people. The latest one is that I needed to be driven somewhere and the driver was a well known TV personality, and I had to be careful not to be another crazed fan of the person. I can understand how some successful authors have based their books on dreams they have had. Although I tell God, "That was a very real dream", I don't ask Him for an interpretation. They don't need interpretation because they depict real events and people. But I know that they come from my own collected experiences of events, places and people, like watching a video where I am the main character. Therefore, I don't receive any of these dreams as containing some spiritual message from God something that He wants me to know.

I believe that my experience in dreaming is also that of 90% of people's dreams. People desire interpretation of their dreams because of non-Biblical teaching that ordinary Christians can receive dreams like Joseph, Nebuchadnezzar or anyone else in Scripture where God has directly spoken to them in a dream.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,373.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In post #3,, I stated not all dreams are from the Lord. Info posted in post #8, gvves % as if it's factual as well as personal data presented as universal facts

Based on Acts 2:17, poured out means "in abundance." Expecting more dreams, increased inquiries about what God is wanting to emphasis (of course, it won't be against Scripture), & asking for discernment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Is it important To give credit to dreams?
in a recent message, the well known NAR prophet and teacher Mike Bickle said that while 10 out of a 100 dreams may be from God, the other 90 would come from ones own mind, or even the pizza they ate before going to bed. So, do you reckon that just a 10% of your dreams coming from God is reliable odds? I wouldn't risk a 90% chance of taking the Lord's name in vain by saying a dream definitely is coming from God.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
It's seems like taking a big chance on something that never will be confirmed as true especially if some could be from satin. I'd rather ignore all of them unless you are 100 percent sure.
Yes. That's a good idea. Jeremiah 23:25 should demotivate us from believing in dreams as a way of hearing from God: "I have heard what the prophets have said who prophesy lies in my name, saying, ‘I have dreamed, I have dreamed!’"

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,373.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
From Acts 2:17, in spite of what is going on in the world, God is going to pour out His Spirit on everyone. Then according to His nature, He is abundantly giving His words to be proclaimed, His visions and dreams. He will continue to communicate % reveal Himself as only He can.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
From Acts 2:17, in spite of what is going on in the world, God is going to pour out His Spirit on everyone. Then according to His nature, He is abundantly giving His words to be proclaimed, His visions and dreams. He will continue to communicate % reveal Himself as only He can.
Visions and dreams don't replace God's written Word. If they are of God, they will confirm it.

Reactions: TPop
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic