Can a believer commit the unforgivable sin?

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
No. One of the unforgivable sins (which is mentioned by Jesus in Matthew 12) is clearly stated here:

31 All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come." (Matthew 12:31-32).​

It is strange to me why you and others would think that the unforgivable sin is something other than what Scripture says it means plainly above here. The above passage says that whoever SPEAKS (i.e. blasphemes) against the Holy Ghost, it will not be forgiven them. In other words, if any one speaks bad words against the Holy Ghost they will not be forgiven of such a thing. You cannot repent or ask God for forgiveness for that kind of sin. It is unforgivable. It is not forgivable in this life and is not forgivable in the life to come (i.e. the Millennium or the 1,000 year reign of Christ). There will be no unbelievers in the Millennium, so you can forget the interpretation that says that rejecting God in this life is speaking of the unforgivable sin. Nowhere does Scripture say anything of the kind. Anyone can commit the unforgivable sin. It does not matter if they are a believer or an unbeliever. Anyone can say bad words against the Holy Ghost. Granted, a believer who is faithful will strive to be guarded against doing such a thing (of course).

What is an example of speaking against the Holy Spirit? It would have to be someone who knows about the Holy Spirit to be able to speak against Him. It is not like an pagan would know about Him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What is an example of speaking against the Holy Spirit? It would have to be someone who knows about the Holy Spirit to be able to speak against Him.

The Pharisees did not really know that they were blaspheming the Holy Spirit as a part of their insulting Jesus, but they did so never the less.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
The Pharisees did not really know that they were blaspheming the Holy Spirit as a part of their insulting Jesus, but they did so never the less.

What the Pharisees were doing was attributing to the devil what Jesus was doing. He was casting out demons. Many on the forums attribute the gifts of the Holy Spirit to the devil. Is that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit? Certainly sounds like it to me.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What the Pharisees were doing was attributing to the devil what Jesus was doing. He was casting out demons. Many on the forums attribute the gifts of the Holy Spirit to the devil. Is that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit? Certainly sounds like it to me.

29 "But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:
30 Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit."
(Mark 3:29-30).

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for all your replies. I'm too far behind on this thread to reply to them all but I've read most of the thread. I just wanted to say that I'm not going to let this bother me anymore. If I did commit the unforgivable sin I would only end up getting the punishment I deserve. Each and every one of us deserves hell we are only saved because of Gods grace and desires. Plus if I did go to hell for something that I cannot help or control wouldn't that be unjust? The bible is kind of silent on mental illness as a whole but I know that there were schizophrenic people in Jesus`s time. I don't think that Jesus would have abandoned them because of them losing their minds. I don't think Jesus has abandoned or forgotten about me. He loves me. I do believe that I am going to be with Jesus when I die and that's what matters. And when I finally do die ill be cured! Something for me to look forward to.
The fact that you are worried about it is proof you are not committing it. Someone in an eternal state of rejecting God is not worried about committing the unforgivable sin. By the way the primary meaning of eternity is 'changeless' it just so happens changelessness is forever.

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is defined by anyone who SPEAKS against the Holy Ghost.
Jason, no it isn't defined that way.
Your definition deny's the spiritual nature of the sin and turns into a law. "Thou shalt not say this, or that...and this too but that's ok to say . How the accusations would fly! You turn the untamed tongue into an eternal rejection of God.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
And why would Jesus say he would not lose a single believer if believers could be lost? Wouldn't that make Jesus a liar? And wouldn't that mean that saying a believer could lose his salvation call Jesus a liar from his numerous statements in the bible that say that a believer cannot lose their salvation?
It is so problematic, isn't this? So many assumptions of things "Jesus said" that Jesus never said. So many assurances of things Jesus never assured anyone of.....
Is it not better not to trust men,
men who so often teach things contrary to Scripture?
Only trust God for all things, including Scripture that ONLY HE can give understanding of.

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2017
Lennon
✟10,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Man those thoughts occur in my head daily. I get so frustrated by it. I'll look for ways to distract my mind just to try and prevent the thought from occurring. The words are currently going through my mind as I type this out. I've brought this up to God in prayer before and said, "Lord, you know this isn't me. I would never say such things to blaspheme the Holy Spirit." I would go on to try and assure God of this, but I know that HE knows my heart. I was a devil worshiper before really trying to come to the Lord and I believe that I am pursued by a spirit that I was once familiar with. And by spirit I don't mean one in particular, I mean it like "the spirit of man is to walk in wickedness" type spirit. I feel that there may be more than one, or it could be one, I don't really know. But anyway. I have the same issue as you my friend. I'd take any sin over that one. I'm sorry you struggle with the same thing friend. The thing about blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is that it is not blasphemy against Christ. Even Jesus said, "And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come." - Matthew 12:32
I encourage you do pray on this daily brother. We both need it very much obviously.

• Prayers
Reactions: lamb7
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
29 "But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:
30 Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit."
(Mark 3:29-30).

Right. How many times have Pentecostals, full of the Holy Spirit, been accused of being demon possessed?

Upvote 0

nutsofacto

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2018
Las Cruces, New Mexico
✟25,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Okay so everyone knows what the unforgivable sin is and was in Jesus`s day. Many people say the unforgivable sin cannot be commited today because Jesus isn't walking on the Earth anymore. But I don't know. If the unforgivable sin could be commited today could a believer commit it? Say they have a mental illness and part of their mental illness is that they say really bad things about the holy spirit and Jesus could they be forgiven? I'm asking because I am the person with the mental illness and part of dealing with my illness everyday is dealing with thoughts that the holy spirit could be Satan. I mean Jesus says in John 6:37-6:40 that he will not lose a single believer so my salvation should be as secure as any other believers but I still cannot stop these thoughts from coming into my head no matter how many meds I take. I want Jesus to cure me so that I will never blasphemy him or any part of God anymore but he wont. Its almost as if Jesus hates me and doesn't understand how bad this is making me feel. So is it possible for a believer to commit the unforgivable sin? If not why? If yes we would eventually get the punishment we deserve for saying such things. But why would Jesus give us the holy spirit in the first place? And why would Jesus say he would not lose a single believer if believers could be lost? Wouldn't that make Jesus a liar? And wouldn't that mean that saying a believer could lose his salvation call Jesus a liar from his numerous statements in the bible that say that a believer cannot lose their salvation? I mean... I'm just as saved as any other believer right?
Okay so everyone knows what the unforgivable sin is and was in Jesus`s day. Many people say the unforgivable sin cannot be commited today because Jesus isn't walking on the Earth anymore. But I don't know. If the unforgivable sin could be commited today could a believer commit it? Say they have a mental illness and part of their mental illness is that they say really bad things about the holy spirit and Jesus could they be forgiven? I'm asking because I am the person with the mental illness and part of dealing with my illness everyday is dealing with thoughts that the holy spirit could be Satan. I mean Jesus says in John 6:37-6:40 that he will not lose a single believer so my salvation should be as secure as any other believers but I still cannot stop these thoughts from coming into my head no matter how many meds I take. I want Jesus to cure me so that I will never blasphemy him or any part of God anymore but he wont. Its almost as if Jesus hates me and doesn't understand how bad this is making me feel. So is it possible for a believer to commit the unforgivable sin? If not why? If yes we would eventually get the punishment we deserve for saying such things. But why would Jesus give us the holy spirit in the first place? And why would Jesus say he would not lose a single believer if believers could be lost? Wouldn't that make Jesus a liar? And wouldn't that mean that saying a believer could lose his salvation call Jesus a liar from his numerous statements in the bible that say that a believer cannot lose their salvation? I mean... I'm just as saved as any other believer right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Benaiahian Monk

Benaiah “ the Lord builds” 2 Samuel 23:20
Dec 14, 2017
Tappahannock
✟17,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
If you incorporate this while studying the passage of scripture mentioned :
But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation. Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.
Mark 3:29-30
Who ? What? When? Where ? Why? How?
You’ll see that the passage of scripture is taken out of context .
The finished work of Christ covers “ALL” sin.

• Winner
Reactions: lamb7
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Right. How many times have Pentecostals, full of the Holy Spirit, been accused of being demon possessed?

I do not know about what specifics you speak of, but I am sure it may have happened. Personally, I do not think "being slain in the Spirit", "holy laughter", "screaming in pain on the ground in convulsions", "knocking down crowds with a wave of the hand" are of the fruits of the Spirit. The fruits of the Spirit are love, joy, peace, kindness, gentleness, goodness, faithfulness, humbleness, and self control.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jason, no it isn't defined that way.
Your definition deny's the spiritual nature of the sin and turns into a law. "Thou shalt not say this, or that...and this too but that's ok to say . How the accusations would fly! You turn the untamed tongue into an eternal rejection of God.

No. You are reading the Bible through the lens of Eternal Security and you are not reading the Bible for what it says plainly. Let's go over the words of Scripture again, shall we?

31 "Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come."
(Matthew 12:31-32).​

Jesus says if you speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him, but whosever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him. Now Eloy, if I speaketh words against you, this means that I would speak audible words that are not good against you. The word "blasphemy" is used in verse 31 and the words "speaketh against" and "speak a word against" are used in verse 32.

I mean, do you even know what the phrase "in the world to come" means? It is talking about the Millennium. In other words, if anyone speaks bad words (curse words) against the Holy Ghost it will not be forgiven in this life here on this Earth or the world to come (i.e. the Millennium or the 1,000 year reign of Christ). There are going to be no unbelievers during the Millennium. So your imaginary idea of the unforgivable sin that is not mentioned in Scripture simply does not work.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The finished work of Christ covers “ALL” sin.

Which is a lie because Jesus said in Matthew 7:21 to certain believers to depart from Him because they worked iniquity (i.e. sin). Obviously these believers were thinking Jesus was their Savior, but they didn't make it. Why didn't they make it? Well, Jesus said He never KNEW them. How can we have an assurance in KNOWING Jesus? 1 John 2:3 says, "And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments." The believers that Jesus told to depart from him said they did many wonderful works, but apparently they were lying and were not keeping God's commandments and were sinning.

The blood of Jesus only covers those who walk in the light of Christ (See 1 John 1:7). "Walking in the light" is another way of saying "keeping His commandments" (Compare 1 John 1:6-7 with 1 John 2:3-4 to see the parallel).

Important Note: Jesus covers past sins that a person asks God to forgive generally speaking or with them confessing a specific sin. Jesus does not cover unrepentant present and future sin. God's grace is not a license for immorality (See Jude 1:4 NIV).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I think we are in agreement on this point.

Upvote 0

Benaiahian Monk

Benaiah “ the Lord builds” 2 Samuel 23:20
Dec 14, 2017
Tappahannock
✟17,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Ok let’s put this to the test then shall we.
“ 2 human beings 1 is saved and 1 is unsaved both say something against the spirit and which you say is not a sin covered under the blood of Christ. Which will go to hell?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ok let’s put this to the test then shall we.
“ 2 human beings 1 is saved and 1 is unsaved both say something against the spirit and which you say is not a sin covered under the blood of Christ. Which will go to hell?

I already shown you Scripture. Please go back and look at the verses I had shown you please.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The fact that you are worried about it is proof you are not committing it. Someone in an eternal state of rejecting God is not worried about committing the unforgivable sin. By the way the primary meaning of eternity is 'changeless' it just so happens changelessness is forever.

People being worried that they did wrong is not proof that they are innocent. Guilt of sin in many cases is proof that they did commit such a sin. For the Holy Spirit convicts the people of this world of their sin because of their unbelief in Jesus (See John 16:8-9). But the real test to see if they violated the command that says, "Whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him" is if they actually spoke bad words against the Holy Ghost (See Matthew 12:31-32). If they did that, they cannot be forgiven (no matter who they are and or what problem they have). God's Word cannot be broken.

Last edited:
Upvote 0