• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

California ID class is sacked

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by GoSeminoles!, Jan 17, 2006.

1. MartinM

MartinM GondolierAce

+239
    Atheist
    Engaged
    It's a question of the background information required to make an informed decision on the validity of complex scientific concepts. There simply isn't time for that in high school. There isn't even time for it in undergrad courses, to some extent.

2. Erock83

Erock83 Well-Known Member

+54
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Green
    So because there is a lack of time or there is a perceived lack of time, that in turn justifies poor teaching methods?

One Love.

3. MartinM

MartinM GondolierAce

+239
    Atheist
    Engaged
    Trying to teach something for which there isn't time is itself a poor teaching method.

4. ThePenguinMafia

ThePenguinMafia New Member

+1
    Atheist
    I'll do you a deal. If anybody manages to get together a credible, scientific, peer reviewed and deemed accurate for 150 years idea that includes god together, it'll be put in school.

For the same reason I don't get taught homeopathy and for the same reason physics students aren't being taught astrology, there really is no place for ID alongside evolution.

5. Erock83

+54
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Green
    Well education is paramount lets make time or make changes to create the time.

One Love

6. MartinM

MartinM GondolierAce

+239
    Atheist
    Engaged
    Which cutting edge scientific issues would you like 16 year olds with insufficient scientific knowledge to discuss, and what shall we drop to make room?

7. hordeprime

hordeprime God loves Atheists.

+69
    Atheist
  8. Donkeytron

Donkeytron Veteran

+135
    Non-Denom
    I don't know why the Japanese would be happy with this ruling. The harder fundamentalists work to dumb down the science curriculum, the better off foreign kids will be.

9. ravenscape

ravenscape Free Crazy Liz

+1,250
    Pantheist
    Private
    US-Democrat
    You know, I'm gonna go right out and triple the size of my Earthquake kit.

Not! :p

10. Erock83

+54
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Green
    Welcome to CF. If you plan on sticking around the C&E board you find that I’m quite out spoken and furthermore don’t advocate for God in the classroom do I think there is a time and place for God in the class room sure. Does that mean I’m going to shove that down into classroom? No especially not until there is significant reform.

One Love

11. Pete Harcoff

Pete Harcoff PeteAce - In memory of WinAce

+64
    Other Religion
    Logistically, I don't think that's feasible. In high school science classes you only have so much time to cover various scientific topics; and even then, there is no detail. This is why scientists will spend 5,6,7 years getting a PhD in something and even then, they specialize. That's why scientists should be the ones to hash this out.

I also think it's a red herring to go after the science classroom, when the whole issue people are having with evolution is a religious one. The focus needs to shift from the classroom to the churches so people can develop a more confident set of religious beliefs and not feel threatened by science.

12. Pete Harcoff

Pete Harcoff PeteAce - In memory of WinAce

+64
    Other Religion
    Oddly enough, that article was writing by someone in Ireland.

13. Edx

Edx Senior Veteran

+104
    Atheist
    JAPAN DOESNT EXIST!!!

14. Erock83

+54
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Green
    Well if you want the short and sweet answer its throw it all out, and start giving the tools to find out the answers not giving them the answers and hope they figure out how the tool works.

One Love.

15. Dr.GH

Dr.GH Doc WinAce fan

+100
    Taoist
    I view the cancelation of the creationism class as "good news, bad news." The good news is that the 15 enrolled students will be spared a ration of crationist BS. Half of them are probably feed theat BS at home anyway. The bad news is that we are deprived of a great opportunity to pound another nail into the IDC coffin.

16. Edx

Edx Senior Veteran

+104
    Atheist
    Thats a great idea. Instead of teaching the kids geology all you need do is give them a hammer and a chisel and send them out into the world for an hour.

Ed

17. Erock83

+54
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Green
    It would be a red herring, except the part of my dependency point. Schools have breed people that are dependant on others for answers. E.G. church leaders, teachers, ‘experts’ and so on an so forth. My contention is that if you were teaching people how to think, instead of what to think. This problem would be almost a non-issues, if it was even an issue at all.

One Love.

18. Erock83

+54
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Green
    Great idea make it happen. Why should field experiments be reserved for college students?

One Love.

19. Edx

Edx Senior Veteran

+104
    Atheist
    You said get rid of all the teaching, jsut give them the tools and "hope" they figure out how to use it.

Ed

20. MartinM

MartinM GondolierAce

+239
    Atheist
    Engaged
    Eh, it wasn't such a great opportunity. The course was blatant YEC, and the DI wouldn't have gone anywhere near it. What we really need is a case where they're prepared to throw in with the defence.