California ID class is sacked

G

GoSeminoles!

From the NY Times:

FRESNO, Calif. (AP) -- A rural school district agreed to stop teaching a religion-based alternative to evolution as part of a court settlement filed Tuesday, a legal group said.

Frazier Mountain High School will stop teaching a philosophy class discussing the theory of ''intelligent design'' this week and won't teach it in the future, said Ayesha N. Khan, legal director for Americans United for Separation of Church and State.

I'm glad the school district had the sense to nix the absurd class it was teaching. Just goes to show my EAC dues are being well spent.

Reactions: Lilandra

ImmortalTechnique

Senior Veteran
May 10, 2005
✟15,270.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
not many theories have been as challenged as the ToE over the last 150 years... the fact that it hasn't been falsified and has made extremely good predictions since its inception and has been bolstered by studies of genetics, biochemistry, and other branches of science is what makes it such a good theory.

Upvote 0

TeddyKGB

A dude playin' a dude disgused as another dude
Jul 18, 2005
Deep underground
✟8,993.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Check this out:
Sharon Lemburg, a social studies teacher and soccer coach who was teaching “Philosophy of Design,” defended the course in a letter to the weekly Mountain Enterprise.

“I believe this is the class that the Lord wanted me to teach,” she wrote.
Nope, no correlation between ID and religion there.

Upvote 0

Erock83

Dec 14, 2005
Phoenix
✟2,062.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
GoSeminoles! said:
From the NY Times:

I'm glad the school district had the sense to nix the absurd class it was teaching. Just goes to show my EAC dues are being well spent.

Well to the school districts credit the information was being presented in a philosophy class, and not in a science class.

One Love.

Upvote 0

ImmortalTechnique

Senior Veteran
May 10, 2005
✟15,270.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
but it was still being taught as "science"- the class included challenging radiometric dating and a bunch of creation science videos- it wasn't talking about the philosophy or philosophical implications of a designer... it was just pseudo science being taught and called philosophy

no credit to liars and people who try to disguise their intentions

Upvote 0

Jimmy The Hand

I Have Been Complexified!
Mar 16, 2004
Visit site
✟1,360.00
Faith
Taoist
Marital Status
Single
Good for the school district.

This is a good example of how US government should work. The legal aspects were thorny at best but it was decidedly clear that even if the course were legal the curricula was horrifically sub-standard. Education standards, unless they enter the realm of a constitutional violation ala Dover, should be decided at the local level.

Good for the local school board. Good for the system.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DailyBlessings

O Christianos Cryptos; Amor Vincit Omnia!
Oct 21, 2004
Berkeley, CA
Visit site
✟30,234.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hydra009 said:
This just in: Pat Robertson declares that California's citizens have abandoned God and have provoked God's wrath.
Hey, we Californians don't call it a day until we've gotten at least one of those comments- the tourism industry depends on it! ^_^

Upvote 0

Mystman

Atheist with a Reason
Jun 24, 2005
✟22,286.00
Faith
Atheist
neverforsaken said:
so i guess its back to the unchallenged theory eh?

many people have already expressed thoughts like this but whatever:

why should a scientific theory be challenged in high school?

(I actually wrote quite a long post after this.. but then decided to just press the delete button. you know, it was less painfull then reading the probable replies to my brilliantly constructed multi-paragraph argument)

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Hydra009 said:
This just in: Pat Robertson declares that California's citizens have abandoned God and have provoked God's wrath.

That never gets old. :p

With Earthquakes, Mudslides, Wildfires, and Arnold in the Governor's seat, Robertson will have a whole selection of disasters to give God the credit for.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
DailyBlessings said:
Hey, we Californians don't call it a day until we've gotten at least one of those comments- the tourism industry depends on it! ^_^

I hear Sodom actually worked it into their ancient advertising campaign:

"Come for the debauchery... stay for the fireworks!"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Erock83

Dec 14, 2005
Phoenix
✟2,062.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Mystman said:
why should a scientific theory be challenged in high school?

Why not? Is a 16 y/o (giver or take a few years) mind not capable of critical though? Or is the problem with an educational system which does not enable and teach critical though? I believe the answer to the former is most defiantly, and the answer to the latter is yes that is exactly the problem.

This is not an issue of what material should or should not be covered in the classroom but the nature in which it is covered. High school students in the US by in large just have to parrot what the teacher says and they get an A. That is not learning, nor does it encourage an atmosphere which would enable the student to challenge or question theories. The High school system teaches dependency, and compliancy, instead of instilling the students with the tools and ability to find and understand answers instead of being spoon feed information.

One Love.

Upvote 0