✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I'll bite. What's the difference?

Waiving the law means it temporarily is not the law anymore until the last 52 miles of wall are complete. Then after the project is done, all of the waived laws go back into effect.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So why did he let a lot of illegal immigrants with covid move here in 2020 an d 2021?
Could you please cite a source for that to be examined? I tried googling it, but I only got headlines about how tough Desantis is on illegal immigration.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Quite a serious retort, backed by a careful study of the trends in the data.

But I get it, far right stories need to work with what they have.

The tagline of the article I posted says this. I'll emphasize the relevant part to help you out.

Chinese migrants, worried about economic and government oppression, are making dangerous journeys to the U.S. in larger numbers than before. Two shared their stories with MSNBC.
Seems like you'll have no problem posting these numbers and how they support your claims. We'll wait.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Could you please cite a source for that to be examined? I tried googling it, but I only got headlines about how tough DeSantis is on illegal immigration.

That is because Ron DeSantis currently is a presidential candidate, so any recent headlines about him are going to be about what he says on the campaign trail or does in Tallahassee. The pandemic is over.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is because Ron DeSantis currently is a presidential candidate, so any recent headlines about him are going to be about what he says on the campaign trail or does in Tallahassee. The pandemic is over.
So when you said, "The people who are responsible for a disastrous open border policy are Republican governors." you really just meant DeSantis because as a Floridian you feel that he handled border control poorly during the pandemic. But since I wasn't there and there aren't any news stories to go by, I can't really discuss it since I don't have a common frame of reference.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
So when you said, "The people who are responsible for a disastrous open border policy are Republican governors." you really just meant DeSantis because as a Floridian you feel that he handled border control poorly during the pandemic. But since I wasn't there and there aren't any news stories to go by, I can't really discuss it since I don't have a common frame of reference.

No, I specifically named both him and Greg Abbott in another post.

The disaster was people with covid coming in because they don't care if everyone gets sick.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thread cleaned mod hat.jpg

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, I specifically named both him and Greg Abbott in another post.

The disaster was people with covid coming in because they don't care if everyone gets sick.
Okay so that's two republican governors during the pandemic, minus any details regarding the accusation.

Here's a CNN article from August 2021 that says:

During an August 4 press conference, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis accused Biden of having a “wide open southern border” which has led to the importation of the virus across the US.

“No elected official is doing more to enable the transmission of COVID in America than Joe Biden with his open borders policies,” DeSantis said in a fundraising letter the same day.

That doesn't sound like a governor who was in favor of illegal immigration at the time you say he was.

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Waiving the law means it temporarily is not the law anymore until the last 52 miles of wall are complete. Then after the project is done, all of the waived laws go back into effect.

Um, no.

Having been pulled over for speeding a few times in my life, let me explain the difference between a "waived law" and a "violated law". The short answer is there are no consequences to violating a law that has been "waived".

So driving down the freeway, I see the flashing lights behind me. I quickly realize that the speed limit has dropped and I've been speeding. He pulls me over and informs me that I was going 10 over the speed limit. But then he says, "I'm going to let you off with a warning this time".

Another day, another cop. I see the flashing lights again. Again, I've been speeding. The cop pulls me over, informs me I was going 8 over the speed limit and proceeds to write me a ticket for nearly $200.

In BOTH instances above, I was guilty of VIOLATING the law. The only difference when the first officer WAIVED the law in that instance was that I did not suffer any consequences for VIOLATING the law. But I still VIOLATED the law even though I did not get a ticket or have any consequences.

In this instance, the Biden Administration is said to be WAIVING 26 federal laws, which simply means that they will suffer no consequences for violating those 26 laws. Why? If, as you believe, Biden doesn't want to build this wall but claims he has no choice in the matter, why would he be waiving those 26 federal laws? You'd think he'd use those laws to his advantage to allow him to NOT build the wall.

Because "the wall" has become such a hotly politicized topic, Biden can't just freely admit what we've known all along, that physical barriers are an effective and necessary tool in protecting the border.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
This isn't about Trump. It's about people (including you) saying that building a wall is racist and then pretending that it's no big deal when Biden decides to continue its construction.
I never said building a wall was racist. Either prove that I said that or withdraw your incredibly poor accusation against me.

• Optimistic
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can see why a post would want to nitpick something I didn't write rather than respond to what I actually asked.
You referenced a "far right" story, when the source I provided was MSNBC, which is absolutely not a "far right" source.

The only reason you chose the term "far right" is because you were weakly attempting to taint the source. But while I realize that the "far right" is a boogeyman that is received well in some circles, no one would believe that MSNBC was a "far right" source.

And to reiterate, the article begins by saying,

Chinese migrants, worried about economic and government oppression, are making dangerous journeys to the U.S. in larger numbers than before. Two shared their stories with MSNBC.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You referenced a "far right" story, when the source I provided was MSNBC
Yep, the far right stories are the mythology build up around border security, not the article you grabbed a sentence from. The first clue I wasn't talking about the article was when I used that phrase in response to a different part of your post. But I think we both know that.

With that cleared up, still waiting for you to post the data backing up your previous claims. For some reason there was a lot of attention paid to the misdirection about how quoting on an internet forum works, but zero effort into providing those numbers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I never said building a wall was racist. Either prove that I said that or withdraw your incredibly poor accusation against me.

Emphasis added for clarity;

Hypocrisy when a wall is what the Americans afraid of brown people coming over want.

You clearly implied here that the only reason Americans want to build a wall is because they are "afraid of brown people". Can you not fathom another reason why someone may want to build a wall? Or is it when Republicans want to build a wall you think it's because they are "afraid of brown people" but when Democrats want to do it it's just a really great idea to protect the border?

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
You referenced a "far right" story, when the source I provided was MSNBC, which is absolutely not a "far right" source.

The only reason you chose the term "far right" is because you were weakly attempting to taint the source. But while I realize that the "far right" is a boogeyman that is received well in some circles, no one would believe that MSNBC was a "far right" source.

And to reiterate, the article begins by saying,

Wow. It looks like you can't even get your sources straight. That article you posted was not from MSNBC.

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yep, the far right stories

^_^

Repeat after me: MSNBC is not "far right".

With that cleared up, still waiting for you to post the data backing up your previous claims.

Maybe start by reading the entire article I posted. The non-far-right article on MSNBC that says that Chinese migrants are making dangerous journeys to the US "in larger numbers than before".

I don't know what those "larger numbers" are, nor do I know "before" when, because the article does not expound upon it. I'm sure if you REALLY wanted to know the answer, you could go find out. But this is what you originally asked concerning the "increased number" of Chinese migrants.

Any idea if that's different from previous years?

I then provided you with a source that says, yes, Chinese migrants are coming in "larger numbers than before" and is therefore "different from previous years". Then you went off on some tangent about the "far right" that completely ignored what this source told you.

You can choose to believe the source or not, but you can't pretend that it's a "far-right" talking point when MSNBC is the source.

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wow. It looks like you can't even get your sources straight. That article you posted was not from MSNBC.

^_^

The article begins (emphasis added):

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
^_^

The article begins (emphasis added):

So. The source is NBC. LOL. That is what you linked. Your link also says 'China" It looks like you may have linked to a communist source!

^_^

Upvote 0