St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How am I hindering people's relationships with God?
All it takes is someone who is sincere, but new to their faith, to hear (or read) something like this and it makes them feel like there must be something wrong with them and/or their relationship with God because they don't understand something. But now they are too afraid to ask someone about it because they shouldn't ask questions of people, just the Holy Spirit. It could hinder their walk with God for years... I've seen very similar things first hand and had to help people overcome it.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Well that I agree with ...
But Jen, we aren't all knowing and God is, as we read the Word, hear sermons we learn more and more. And as we are prepared then more is revealed to us. This is on going all through this life, then when we move on into our glorified bodies ( that we don't deserve by the way) we come to know even more. In your first post you said when we know someone then we know all about them. No, I've been married 45 years and I still learn things about my wife I never knew before and she is nowhere near as complex as God, the all knowing , ever present, all mighty one. Who can know Him really, I mean really, in the depths of Him ? I'd be a fool to say I do. Yes I know Him to communicate with His Spirit and I know when scripture speaks to me sometime coming to tears it's so real. But to know the depth and breadth of God, no way.

Upvote 0

Jen35

Mar 31, 2019
Over the moon like centipedes
✟19,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All it takes is someone who is sincere, but new to their faith, to hear (or read) something like this and it makes them feel like there must be something wrong with them and/or their relationship with God because they don't understand something. But now they are too afraid to ask someone about it because they shouldn't ask questions of people, just the Holy Spirit. It could hinder their walk with God for years... I've seen very similar things first hand and had to help people overcome it.
One does not become born again by going to others, we are to go to Jesus, no one can save us but God. We cant even save ourselves, so how can anyone else do that? I don't know what you mean there. There's nothing wrong with advice but I know the only way is through Jesus cause Jesus said he is the only way the only truth and the only life and the bible says there is no other name by which we shall be saved. People can't save us, only Jesus can. But you keep telling yourself that because believe me that way hardly works out. The bible says we are not to put our faith in man but God only, not to trust in princes and decieve ourselves. Etc. Tell me I am wrong here, by the way I am not doing anything, I'm not hindering anyone, people can't be that weak to give up on thier faith just for an opinion I posted on here. Are people that delirious to feel threaten by some post I made on a forum? I can't stop or make anyone do anything and i don't have a weapon over someone right now saying heed my posts or die right now!!! Are you serious dude?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jen35

Mar 31, 2019
✟19,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But Jen, we aren't all knowing and God is, as we read the Word, hear sermons we learn more and more. And as we are prepared then more is revealed to us. This is on going all through this life, then when we move on into our glorified bodies ( that we don't deserve by the way) we come to know even more. In your first post you said when we know someone then we know all about them. No, I've been married 45 years and I still learn things about my wife I never knew before and she is nowhere near as complex as God, the all knowing , ever present, all mighty one. Who can know Him really, I mean really, in the depths of Him ? I'd be a fool to say I do. Yes I know Him to communicate with His Spirit and I know when scripture speaks to me sometime coming to tears it's so real. But to know the depth and breadth of God, no way.
Maybe I went a bit over the edge with my posts, you are right, we can't know God fully cause well we are not God, if one was to know God fully it means they are God and like I said that is something we will never be. I'm just curious why people ask questions about him and not the holy spirit, I mean people are forever talking about the holy spirit and declaring they posess the holy spirit but never witnessing him, and honestly I have yet to see the power of God, the holy spirit at work in this world fully.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jen35

Mar 31, 2019
✟19,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Would it have been better if I asked instead, if we have a relationship with God and in the presence of his spirit, why are we asking others questions about him when he is right there already? Is it because people don't really know him or seek him and the truth?

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It says in 1st Corinthians 13 that we do not know what we are, but when we see him as face to face we will be as He is.

So in terms of "intimate knowing" by experiencing that degree of god likeness (theosis) we'd need to be in bodies that don't produce sin (re: Romans 7)
And that is backed up by...

For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.
(1Co 13:12)

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One does not become born again by going to others, we are to go to Jesus, no one can save us but God. So I don't know what you mean there. There's nothing wrong with advice but I know the only way is through Jesus cause Jesus said he is the only way the only truth and the only life and the bible says there is no other name by which we shall be saved. People can't save us, only Jesus can. But you keep telling yourself that because believe me that way hardly works out. The bible says we are not to put our faith in man but God only, not to trust in princes and decieve ourselves. Etc. Tell me I am wrong here, by the way I am not doing anything, I'm not hindering anyone, people can't be that weak to give up on thier faith just for an opinion I posted on here. Are people that delirious to feel threaten by some post I made on a forum? I can't stop or make anyone do anything and i don't have a weapon over someone right now saying heed my posts or die right now!!! Are you serious dude?
Yes I am serious. Yes Jesus is the only way, I never said anything about putting faith in man, so YOU keep telling yourself that I did so.

I have had people walk into my church and sheepishly approach my after a service and ask if there is something wrong with them because the heard something like this. I've had to encourage them over and over and over that they can hear God's voice for themselves, but it is extremely hard to break through because their confidence has been shattered.

Listen, I think I understand what you are trying to get at, and, if I am right, I don't disagree. But look at some of your words through the eyes of someone new to their faith and just learning their Bible. It could easily be taken the way I am presenting... as I have said, it's not a theory, I've had to counsel people because of it.

We don't have to qualify every single statement we make, but, "If we have to have ask questions about God, then I guess that means we don't really know him." is a pretty serious statement with some pretty serious potential consequences that should be considered.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If we have to have ask questions about God, then I guess that means we don't really know him. Who asks questions about someone they know? If you know someone, wouldn't you know everything about them? Why are we asking questions here? Doesn't the holy spirit guide us into all truth and knowledge of him? I wonder if the holy spirit is being ignored here or something? Or maybe some people don't know the spirit either. What's going on? Jesus said his sheep know his voice cause they are familiar with it, you know why? Cause they know him and are famaliar with his ways from being one and in the presence of him through his spirit, the holy spirit, the spirit of God. If we have to question something about God, we must don't know him. Do people truly know God or just the idea, the cliches of him and the stuff they hear about him from others?
God is an infinite being who our finite minds are capable of fully understanding. We can spend eternity with God and still never know everything their is to know about Him. Which I think is a good thing because God will never become boring. However, just because we can never know Him fully, we can still know Him truly. I would argue that if you are not asking questions about God, you don't care enough about Him to know Him better, It is like telling someone you love, "I love you, but I think I know all there is about you that I want to know. So I don't want to know you better."

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course we can't know him in these bodies, especially if we are not born again, how can we see the truth of anything if we didn't enter the kingdom of God? If we are outside of the kingdom , how can truth be revealed to us, how can we see and know the truth living outside of the kingdom. Jesus said the only way to the father is through him, and if we are not born again, we can not enter the kingdom of God. And the only way to do that is to be born again, recieve the holy spirit so the holy spirit can lead us to Jesus and we can be guided into all truth. How does one go to Jesus? The holy spirit invites us to accept him in our hearts. So yes I believe there is a way to know him fully. With the holy spirit and a believing born again renewed spirit and heart..
I agree with your statement and explanation above however there is more "to know" as we only know "in part". That being said, Jesus Christ of Nazareth stated that we should seek so that we can find. There are day to day situations as well as historical knowledge that is found through seeking. From what I have experienced, the Holy Spirit can truly download an ah ha moment of understanding a but He also shows us through literature, other Christians and teachers the subtleties of God and His creation.
Blessings

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I liked reading your thread. I don't think it is harmful to new Christians. What is more harmful is seeing the arguments on here about theology or when we fallible humans answer each other without showing the fruit of the Spirit.

Proverbs 3:5-6 is my favourite verse to post. It says a lot really.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight. (Might be slightly misquoted).

I have found that the Lord teaches step by step. Although I know my Bible fairly well, I have learned more through acting on His word. When doing what it says, the Spirit reinforces it and makes it a reality if you know what I mean.

Another way I have learned is through experience. The way God has blessed me when going through hardship. He has been my Protector, Provider, Comforter, Shelter, Strength, Peace and Solid ground. I have learned that His goodness knows know bounds and He is faithful and more patient than I deserve. I'm a slow learner it seems but He holds me fast.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes I am serious. Yes Jesus is the only way, I never said anything about putting faith in man, so YOU keep telling yourself that I did so.

I have had people walk into my church and sheepishly approach my after a service and ask if there is something wrong with them because the heard something like this. I've had to encourage them over and over and over that they can hear God's voice for themselves, but it is extremely hard to break through because their confidence has been shattered.

Listen, I think I understand what you are trying to get at, and, if I am right, I don't disagree. But look at some of your words through the eyes of someone new to their faith and just learning their Bible. It could easily be taken the way I am presenting... as I have said, it's not a theory, I've had to counsel people because of it.

We don't have to qualify every single statement we make, but, "If we have to have ask questions about God, then I guess that means we don't really know him." is a pretty serious statement with some pretty serious potential consequences that should be considered.
Agreed. If we "have to ask questions about God," it only means that we desire to know Him better. After all, theology is built upon asking questions about God and seeking answers to them. Even the concept of the Trinity is a man made term created in the search of the answer to the questions as to how Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and the Father are three distinct beings who are God and yet there is only one God.

Upvote 0

Jen35

Mar 31, 2019
✟19,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Are you Jesus Christ? Maybe I didn't worded my posts correctly but it still stands. Maybe I should have not said it like that so I will reexamine my statements but maybe you should reexamine your actions also , I don't care what church you have and honestly I don't know what you exactly do but I do know we are to lead people to Jesus and your church shall be built on the foundation of Christ's teachings and not your own thoughts, if you are leading others, I sure hope you are doing it with a spirit filled mind cause honestly we are to lead others through the holy spirit and not stuff that come from our own thinking and mouth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Would it have been better if I asked instead, if we have a relationship with God and in the presence of his spirit, why are we asking others questions about him when he is right there already? Is it because people don't really know him or seek him and the truth?
Sometimes others have had some things revealed to them that the rest of us have not. It's why we have pastor/teachers, the scriptures and also body life. To me, the hope would be that through these various resources the Spirit of God can and does speak to us. Worship too, ever had a revelation come to you during the worship service ? I have, music can go right to our souls....

Hey, maybe in this very thread The Spirit has spoken to us or one of us or two of us in some simple way !

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jen35

Mar 31, 2019
✟19,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Agreed. If we "have to ask questions about God," it only means that we desire to know Him better. After all, theology is built upon asking questions about God and seeking answers to them. Even the concept of the Trinity is a man made term created in the search of the answer to the questions as to how Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and the Father are three distinct beings who are God and yet there is only one God.
Maybe because Jesus share the same essence and attributes of his father God and since Jesus was fully born of the spirit it makes him divine and fully born of God therefore making them connected and one in the same spirit..Jesus was born of God and since he was born of God, he is not God the father.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JustRachel

He welcomed me back! <3
Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2007
Right here
✟325,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There are verses (though, I don't know where they are) that tell us to ask other believers questions. We are meant to fellowship, learn from each other, lift each other up, etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Maybe because Jesus share the same essence and attributes of his father God and since Jesus was fully born of the spirit it makes him divine and fully born of God therefore making then connected and one in the same spirit..
Perhaps, but how would you know if you don't ask the question and seek an answer? Furthermore, if I were to tell you that I disagreed with your position, how then do we determine who is right and who is wrong?

Upvote 0

Jen35

Mar 31, 2019
✟19,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps, but how would you know if you don't ask the question and seek an answer?
Even though i fall short and need guidance like everyone else i still try to meditate on the holy spirit alone cause the holy spirit teaches me everything and since I've been doing that for a long time, it's clearer for me to understand that way

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are verses (though, I don't know where they are) that tell us to ask other believers questions. We are meant to fellowship, learn from each other, lift each other up, etc.
Ephesians 5:19 Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord,

Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.

1 Thessalonians 5:11 Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.

These ones? Found them amongst these... Well worth a read, I need ink for my printer or I'd put them on my wall :)

Source: How to Treat One Another

Upvote 0

Jen35

Mar 31, 2019
✟19,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps, but how would you know if you don't ask the question and seek an answer? Furthermore, if I were to tell you that I disagreed with your position, how then do we determine who is right and who is wrong?
Well, what are you disagreeing with? If it lines up with the word of God and comes to pass, then we will know who is right and who is wrong...

Upvote 0

Jen35

Mar 31, 2019
✟19,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sometimes others have had some things revealed to them that the rest of us have not. It's why we have pastor/teachers, the scriptures and also body life. To me, the hope would be that through these various resources the Spirit of God can and does speak to us. Worship too, ever had a revelation come to you during the worship service ? I have, music can go right to our souls....

Hey, maybe in this very thread The Spirit has spoken to us or one of us or two of us in some simple way !
Well, has a baby ever walked before they crawled?

Upvote 0