United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, has a baby ever walked before they crawled?
Yes, it does happen. I heard about someone's baby doing just that not long ago. :)

I think what you're advocating can be dangerous actually. Not the first post but the level of focus you are paying to the Holy Spirit. You see, many have been misled by misinterpreting emotions as the Holy Spirit. Yes, He testifies to our hearts but many go off on tangents because they aren't actually following the Holy Spirit but themselves. Others get stuck in a rut of self condemnation because they don't 'feel' forgiven. I did just that and was stuck in the wilderness for 15 years.I no longer rely on my feelings.

Also, the Bible says the Holy Spirit doesn't testify of Himself but rather illuminates the Father. (May not have said that completely right).

I agree with your statement that we are to put our faith in God and not man. However, God does use others to do His will and often it is to explain where we are wrong or to encourage us. That is why we are to look to God first, as you said, and to seek and understand His will. He will give understanding at the rate He sees fit. Too fast and we become puffed up... I've been there, it takes a while to realise that we know less than we think.

You see, when we think things are going great and that we are knowledgeable our focus is actually back on ourselves and not so much on God. We are completely fallible and pride is something that sneaks up and causes sin.

Often I find that my interactions with others cause this to be evident. Just yesterday a brother in Christ was able to put right something I was doing wrong. I'd been asking God all day to help me cope with my mood, it turned out that God used him to show me that it was my expectations causing me to be annoyed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi again @Jen35, you might also want to consider the enabling of the Holy Spirit and His giving of individual gifts to His children so that we can support one another in the church/as the body of Christ. It would seem odd (would it not) on the part of the Holy Spirit to give spiritual gifts to His children to use which are useless to us/not necessary for us to have (take particular note below of the fact that God has appointed in the church, apostles, prophets and teachers).

Romans 12
27 You are Christ’s body, and individually members of it.
28 And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues.
29 All are not apostles, are they? All are not prophets, are they? All are not teachers, are they? All are not workers of miracles, are they?
30 All do not have gifts of healings, do they? All do not speak with tongues, do they? All do not interpret, do they?
31 But earnestly desire the greater gifts.

I know and understand ~so~ much more now than I did when I first became a Christian, even though I have been indwelt/guided by the HS since the moment I was justified/saved nearly 33 years ago (and a big part of my growth in the knowledge and understanding of God and of the faith is due in no small part to those in the church who God appointed as teachers/preachers).

--David

Hebrews 13
7 Remember those who led you, who spoke the word of God to you; and considering the result of their conduct, imitate their faith.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi again @Jen35, you might also want to consider the enabling of the Holy Spirit and His giving of individual gifts to His children so that we can support one another as the church/as the body of Christ. It would seem odd (would it not) on the part of the Holy Spirit to give spiritual gifts to His children to use which are useless to us/not necessary for us to have (take particular note below of the fact that God has appointed in the church, apostles, prophets and teachers).

Romans 12
27 You are Christ’s body, and individually members of it.
28 And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues.
29 All are not apostles, are they? All are not prophets, are they? All are not teachers, are they? All are not workers of miracles, are they?
30 All do not have gifts of healings, do they? All do not speak with tongues, do they? All do not interpret, do they?
31 But earnestly desire the greater gifts.

I know and understand ~so~ much more now than I did when I first became a Christian, even though I have been indwelt/guided by the HS since the moment I was justified/saved nearly 33 years ago (and a big part of my growth in knowledge and understanding of God and of the faith is due in no small part to those in the church who God appointed as teachers/preachers).

--David

Hebrews 13
7 Remember those who led you, who spoke the word of God to you; and considering the result of their conduct, imitate their faith.
You said that wonderfully. Praise the Lord!

Upvote 0

Llleopard

Jun 5, 2018
Hawkes Bay New Zealand
✟135,729.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just on a natural level I don't agree. I know my mom, but there's still a lot I don't know about her, and I often ask her things about herself. Unlike God, her thoughts change, but God has so many thoughts I don't think I'd ever know him this side of glory, when we will know fully and be known. My daughter knows me very well, but there's still things I haven't told her, because she doesn't need to know in order to have a good relationship with me, or won't understand.

Upvote 0

Jen35

Mar 31, 2019
Over the moon like centipedes
✟19,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, it does happen. I heard about someone's baby doing just that not long ago. :)

I think what you're advocating can be dangerous actually. Not the first post but the level of focus you are paying to the Holy Spirit. You see, many have been misled by misinterpreting emotions as the Holy Spirit. Yes, He testifies to our hearts but many go off on tangents because they aren't actually following the Holy Spirit but themselves. Others get stuck in a rut of self condemnation because they don't 'feel' forgiven. I did just that and was stuck in the wilderness for 15 years.I no longer rely on my feelings.

Also, the Bible says the Holy Spirit doesn't testify of Himself but rather illuminates the Father. (May not have said that completely right).

I agree with your statement that we are to put our faith in God and not man. However, God does use others to do His will and often it is to explain where we are wrong or to encourage us. That is why we are to look to God first, as you said, and to seek and understand His will. He will give understanding at the rate He sees fit. Too fast and we become puffed up... I've been there, it takes a while to realise that we know less than we think.

You see, when we think things are going great and that we are knowledgeable our focus is actually back on ourselves and not so much on God. We are completely fallible and pride is something that sneaks up and causes sin.

Often I find that my interactions with others cause this to be evident. Just yesterday a brother in Christ was able to put right something I was doing wrong. I'd been asking God all day to help me cope with my mood, it turned out that God used him to show me that it was my expectations causing me to be annoyed.
Well I didn't know babies could do that, I guess I learned something new. By the way, where did I say anything about a feeling? I know what the holy spirit is. I believe I had the holy spirit since I was a small child. And I wasn't even close to God then. But I remember the same connection. I don't get feelings, but like I said I been famaliar with it so long..I can recognize it and I can tell when truth is being spoke to me and put in my heart. It's not a feeling for me, it's an urge I get inside that makes me speak behalf on that truth given to me to speak at the moment. And believe me, there's no limit with the holy spirit, once you are indwelt in it, the words of the spirit doesn't stop. Theres no stopping the spirit, even if I wanted to I couldn't control my voice. The holy spirit isn't some feeling I get high on, it's a word from the Lord that is being put in my heart to speak out. God says he would put his laws on his people's hearts and that they will be indwelt in his word and built on it. He puts his spirit inside of us not where his words on written on tablets and stones but sealed in our hearts. Others may be relying on a feeling but I don't unless i am being put in peace and joy in the presence of him because even if the holy spirit isn't some feeling , it does give us also contentment of true joy and peace. The one Jesus gives us and not the one the world does because the world is temporary and everything in it is temporary also I see no reason why the joy the world gives us would last forever when the only thing that is eternal is Jesus. Jesus said the water he gives , no one will ever have to drink again because the water he gives flows in us eternally cause the water is spirit and life and he is that water we drink and he is the only eternal God, the one that never leaves or forsake us. The living water. The one that gives us life. The world leads us to a well dry and broken. Jesus gives us the holy spirit and leads us to our father God. The only true way into a world eternal and salvation, a kingdom unknown to the world but known to us. So no I am not relying on some feeling.. I'm seeking truth and meditating my heart on the spirit cause it sustains me and make me feel truly one with Christ and strong in him .And that's the only thing I hope to witness and rely on now..and of course we cant put ourselves in some box and leave the rest out , we are not here to live for ourselves, we are here to help each other and tell them the truth, so theres nothing wrong with receiving advice and wisdom from others because honestly if I learned anything it's that I don't know everything and someone else out there might have the answer I just need. And the bible also talks about us entertaining angels without us knowing so it's good to seek out answers through others, you never know, it could very well be Jesus himself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

basilbear76

May 25, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
✟9,296.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
If we have to have ask questions about God, then I guess that means we don't really know him. Who asks questions about someone they know? If you know someone, wouldn't you know everything about them? Why are we asking questions here? Doesn't the holy spirit guide us into all truth and knowledge of him? I wonder if the holy spirit is being ignored here or something? Or maybe some people don't know the spirit either. What's going on? Jesus said his sheep know his voice cause they are familiar with it, you know why? Cause they know him and are famaliar with his ways from being one and in the presence of him through his spirit, the holy spirit, the spirit of God. If we have to question something about God, we must don't know him. Do people truly know God or just the idea, the cliches of him and the stuff they hear about him from others?
YOu don't know everything about your friends all at once, do you?

Then why should you know everything about God all at once. He is
infinite, you know. So you'll neve? know everything about Him, will you?

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Even though i fall short and need guidance like everyone else i still try to meditate on the holy spirit alone cause the holy spirit teaches me everything and since I've been doing that for a long time, it's clearer for me to understand that way
But if we disagree, how are you to know who is being led by the spirit and who isn't?

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, what are you disagreeing with? If it lines up with the word of God and comes to pass, then we will know who is right and who is wrong...
What "word of God" are you talking about?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are you Jesus Christ? Maybe I didn't worded my posts correctly but it still stands. Maybe I should have not said it like that so I will reexamine my statements but maybe you should reexamine your actions also , I don't care what church you have and honestly I don't know what you exactly do but I do know we are to lead people to Jesus and your church shall be built on the foundation of Christ's teachings and not your own thoughts, if you are leading others, I sure hope you are doing it with a spirit filled mind cause honestly we are to lead others through the holy spirit and not stuff that come from our own thinking and mouth.

It's remarkable how when confronted by real world actual consequences instead of theoretical considerations, some people quickly become hostile and things like this go out the window:
It's not about disagreements, it's about one thinking they are right , know everything and trying to have the last word. We don't gain God's favor by feeling secure and superior in ourselves for having a right answer on here.

As for me: Senior Pastor of a strongly Spirit filled, Spirit led, Spirit flowing church. In fact I've been unashamedly mocked, belittled, and name called by a few folks here because I of it. Now I've been accused, or implied, of not being that. Quite the shift. Regardless, as a Spirit led pastor, I still have to consider and help folks of all walks and all levels of spiritual maturity. And what I stated absolutely happens and should in no way be considered out of line to anyone who actually wants to see people grow in Christ.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
when we do that we become famaliar with him and become like him too.
Jesus tells us "If you really know me, you will know my Father as well" so if you know how to become familiar with Christ then you know how to become familiar with the Father. If you recognize Christ, then you recognize the Father.

Upvote 0

Jen35

Mar 31, 2019
✟19,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But if we disagree, how are you to know who is being led by the spirit and who isn't?
The spirit is of truth. Whatever is of God and his truth is of him. So whatever comes out of your mouth, if it is of truth then you will know who it is leading you or who is leading who. I think even you would know that. (And to my knowledge, so does common sense) Why don't you tell me what you disagree with thpugh? I'm still waiting for that response from you.

Upvote 0

Jen35

Mar 31, 2019
✟19,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's remarkable how when confronted by real world actual consequences instead of theoretical considerations, some people quickly become hostile and things like this go out the window:

As for me: Senior Pastor of a strongly Spirit filled, Spirit led, Spirit flowing church. In fact I've been unashamedly mocked, belittled, and name called by a few folks here because I of it. Now I've been accused, or implied, of not being that. Quite the shift. Regardless, as a Spirit led pastor, I still have to consider and help folks of all walks and all levels of spiritual maturity. And what I stated absolutely happens and should in no way be considered out of line to anyone who actually wants to see people grow in Christ.
Sorry I didn't mean to spit hostility at you. That wasn't my intention. I kinda felt bad a bit cause I felt a bit of hostility in my posts. So I was going to tell you I am sorry.. I'm sure you are a great pastor with years of wisdom and is leading your church and members really well. Sorry. I didn't mean it like that.

Upvote 0

Jen35

Mar 31, 2019
✟19,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus tells us "If you really know me, you will know my Father as well" so if you know how to become familiar with Christ then you know how to become familiar with the Father. If you recognize Christ, then you recognize the Father.
Well that probably just leads back to him saying he is the only way to the father and the only way to know the father is through him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sorry I didn't mean to spit hostility at you. That wasn't my intention. I kinda felt bad a bit cause I felt a bit of hostility in my posts. So I was going to tell you I am sorry.. I'm sure you are a great pastor with years of wisdom and is leading your church and members really well. Sorry. I didn't mean it like that.
No worries. I apologize if I came across as hostile myself. I can get passionate when I think about some of the things people in my congregation have struggled to overcome.

Upvote 0

Jen35

Mar 31, 2019
✟19,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No worries. I apologize if I came across as hostile myself. I can get passionate when I think about some of the things people in my congregation have struggled to overcome.
It's ok. I can tell you are passionate about it.. I sensed that..it's one of the reasons I felt bad and had to apologize

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well that probably just leads back to him saying he is the only way to the father and the only way to know the father is through him.
directly after Jesus said this Philip asked him to show him the Father and Jesus says "Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?"

so if you know Christ how can you say you don't know the Father?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't understand.what does that verse have to do with anything I just said and yes when Jesus reveals ourselves through him, we see ourselves as we truly are and not what we thought we were, Jesus says the truth sets us free and when we see ourselves through Jesus and when he takes off our veil, that's when we will see our true selves and that's how we see ourselves after we go to Jesus and become born again, we see we are not perfect, we really arentarwhat we sawsourselves as, we are not perfect, Jesus is the only perfect one and the only way to be like him and perfect in him is to deny ourselves and follow him and his ways, because when we do that we become famaliar with him and become like him too.

The Bible says we know in part and we prophesy in part. So we don't know everything about God. Yes, there should be certain things we know about God and it is true that many do not know certain basic truths in the Bible they should know, but we are not told that we will know everything about God in this life. That is not what the Bible teaches.

Upvote 0