Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sometimes you need to step back and rethink things and just man up. This sounds ridiculous. Emotional turmoil?

I think having them causes more stress. I'd rather not have the emotional turmoil.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You’re SERIOUSLY over-thinking this, man!

Love your pet, love your family, love your clergy, love your fellow parishioners, love your enemies.

My dog is currently suffering from valley fever. It’s serious, but treatable and he’s slooooowwwwly recovering. While I understand what Anastasia says about $$$ spent on animals, frankly I don’t care the cost and will spend what it takes to save our little guy. I have 4 cats and a dog. I love them all. And I love humans despite them often being less than easy to love.

There is no biblical “limit” on how much you should love a pet. Stop overthinking it, pray, enjoy your pets. Try to make some friends. Pray about it. Why don’t you have any? And how do you know an animal will forget you forever?
I'm not saying there is necessarily a dollar limit beyond which they are not worth spending. My cat has been tremendous comfort for ten years, and I had a dog once that was like my right hand. I would spend all I had to save them if I could. And if treatment was expensive but I had it, then yes I would pay. I don't mean to say that is wrong.

I had in mind a tv show I saw once. A woman spent tens of thousands to build a miniature copy of her own home with full amenities in order to give her dog (which was a house pet) a cute place to go into while outside. It wasn't a need for the pet. My point was if someone spent so much money on pure extravagance for pets, while at the same time giving nothing to the poor. And maybe I shouldn't have mentioned something so specific, because I meant it as a hypothetical. For all I know the woman might give generously to support charities or the poor. So maybe it was wrong for me to even give it as a theoretical example.

There are people who will spend a fortune on their pets and care nothing for the hungry and poor right in front of them, and my point was that such a thing would be wrong. I think I will edit my original post so as not to cause more confusion.

• Agree
Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have three miniature versions of my house! Are you judging me!? ^_^:sorry:

I'm not saying there is necessarily a dollar limit beyond which they are not worth spending. My cat has been tremendous comfort for ten years, and I had a dog once that was like my right hand. I would spend all I had to save them if I could. And if treatment was expensive but I had it, then yes I would pay. I don't mean to say that is wrong.

I had in mind a tv show I saw once. A woman spent tens of thousands to build a miniature copy of her own home with full amenities in order to give her dog (which was a house pet) a cute place to go into while outside. It wasn't a need for the pet. My point was if someone spent so much money on pure extravagance for pets, while at the same time giving nothing to the poor. And maybe I shouldn't have mentioned something so specific, because I meant it as a hypothetical. For all I know the woman might give generously to support charities or the poor. So maybe it was wrong for me to even give it as a theoretical example.

There are people who will spend a fortune on their pets and care nothing for the hungry and poor right in front of them, and my point was that such a thing would be wrong. I think I will edit my original post so as not to cause more confusion.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have three miniature versions of my house! Are you judging me!? ^_^:sorry:
Can't win for losing, can I? LOL

I like building mini houses - VERY mini houses.

As long as you didn't spend $100,000 on them while at the same time stepping on starving orphans, you get a pass. And I'm not judging in any case. :p

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
(I'm starting to wish I'd never seen that TV show lol. Definitely sorry that I brought it up. I doubt it will be my last mistake. ;) Anyway, Jesus said it all in the story of Lazarus and the rich man. Talk to Him lol.)

Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's definitely the case that this can go too far - when people start to think of them like their kids or something, I also think it's wrong to breed them until they have grotesque tendencies to health problems. However, it's a kind of gnosticism to say that humans are the only part of creation that matters and the rest is just for our enjoyment. God cares about the sparrows! We are responsible to the entire world, it's all there for a reason, we are just the priests of the temple using it to glorify God. I would also note that just as it's wrong to treat pets as children, it's wrong to treat your children as if they were pets - there is a good and right sort of affection and companionship with animals that isn't appropriate to have with humans. So, not, it is not wasted or inappropriate.
I agree , and think that there is an unhealthy carnal attachment to animals among some people who spend too much time with them .
For me the 'garden' would have had many lovely free animals, not pets but in nature . I love little birds as they are beautiful free ,useful ,musical and amusing .

Upvote 0

Jackson Cooper

Sep 18, 2017
Nowhere
✟37,463.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I am growing to resent dogs because many Orthodox falsely believe dogs are somehow special. It's a heresy and illogical. Why are dogs viewed as being more valuable than whales, donkeys, hippos, pigs, and parrots? They are not.

• Winner
Reactions: fat wee robin
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
All of creation was created good. Dogs are commonly pets for people and provide comfort, companionship, and love. I don't know that dogs form any special class of animals compared to others, but pets are special compared to wild animals we don't associate with, just as animals who serve our needs in other ways are special.

I'm not aware of any Orthodox heresy that believes dogs are some special elevated class of animal? The Saints sometimes use them (or other animals we are likely to be familiar with) to illustrate a point.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am growing to resent dogs because many Orthodox falsely believe dogs are somehow special. It's a heresy and illogical. Why are dogs viewed as being more valuable than whales, donkeys, hippos, pigs, and parrots? They are not.

I have yet to meet an Orthodox Christian who believes this.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Don’t be...

(I'm starting to wish I'd never seen that TV show lol. Definitely sorry that I brought it up. I doubt it will be my last mistake. ;) Anyway, Jesus said it all in the story of Lazarus and the rich man. Talk to Him lol.)

• Agree
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Canine-Arianism with a touch of Petsmart Nestorianism

All of creation was created good. Dogs are commonly pets for people and provide comfort, companionship, and love. I don't know that dogs form any special class of animals compared to others, but pets are special compared to wild animals we don't associate with, just as animals who serve our needs in other ways are special.

I'm not aware of any Orthodox heresy that believes dogs are some special elevated class of animal? The Saints sometimes use them (or other animals we are likely to be familiar with) to illustrate a point.

• Haha
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
But who could forget the Neo-Platonishitzus? And the Poodleclasts!
(I am a poodleclast).

IMG_2367.jpg

Upvote 0

Alittlereality

Nov 2, 2017
Minnesota
✟1,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Well how do you know what goes anywhere for one. This is what we call assumption.
I think animals have a spirit and brain.

Ok animals are given the ability to survive in the wild. The wild teaches us the true intent behind creation i think. Before we had language or a concept of collective beliefs. We had to survive. Like the animals. Because deny it or not..we are animals too.

Upvote 0