Nowhere
✟37,463.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm surprised by the number of saints that had pets. If animals don't go to Heaven, then what is the point of caring about them?
I am disappointed by how many Orthodox think dogs in particular are somehow special to God. Is that a heresy?

• Agree
Reactions: fat wee robin

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Can affection be wasted? Is there only a limited amount of it to go around and then it "runs out"?

No ... by being loving we become more loving. We become what we practice. Scripture has things to say about regarding an animal's welfare, and that God cares for them too.

God loves His creation, and so should we. Animals have been given the capacity to love also so I think there is quite a lesson for us in observing them.

Edit: if people spend extravagantly on pampering their pets while at the same time completely ignoring the poor and needy people in front of them, this can be wrong. But that doesn't mean it's wrong to spend money on pets - only that we shouldn't ignore people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I was curious how Ecclesiastes 3:19, and Proverbs 12:10 were interpreted by Orthodox teaching.
Also are animals our neighbor?

Hmmmm. I wouldn't say animals are our neighbor in the way Jesus taught with the parable about the Good Samaritan. But we have a priestly role where creation is concerned. Creation fell because of Adam's sin. Creation will be redeemed along with and partly because of mankind's redemption by Christ.

I don't think those verses figure into it particularly. Wisdom especially has to be interpreted within context. Though I will say that verse in Eccl does add to the point that "we are all in this together" where both fall and redemption are concerned. But to read too much into it would lead to error. The Proverb talks about what kind of people we ought to be. We should be caring, taking care of our responsibilities, properly stewarding, and not cruel. Again, we become what we practice. That is part of how "works" figure into salvation. If we are loving people, we become more like Christ in our very heart and soul. If on the other hand we delight in being cruel, we twist and pervert our heart and soul to become more like Satan.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hmmmm. I wouldn't say animals are our neighbor in the way Jesus taught with the parable about the Good Samaritan. But we have a priestly role where creation is concerned. Creation fell because of Adam's sin. Creation will be redeemed along with and partly because of mankind's redemption by Christ.

I don't think those verses figure into it particularly. Wisdom especially has to be interpreted within context. Though I will say that verse in Eccl does add to the point that "we are all in this together" where both fall and redemption are concerned. But to read too much into it would lead to error. The Proverb talks about what kind of people we ought to be. We should be caring, taking care of our responsibilities, properly stewarding, and not cruel. Again, we become what we practice. That is part of how "works" figure into salvation. If we are loving people, we become more like Christ in our very heart and soul. If on the other hand we delight in being cruel, we twist and pervert our heart and soul to become more like Satan.
Thanks for explaining.

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,620,944.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I observe how dogs, in their devotion to humans appear to fulfill a role, and at times they fill that space in a human's life where love is needed. This is an observation as I am not a dog lover myself, but I appreciate the role they play. I thank God for their special functions, thinking of the disabled and their trained dogs.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Animals were in the Garden and are here for us to care for, so no, it's never a waste. It's another way to show love to God's creation. I do believe animals are in heaven, along with other things made by God because of what was in the Garden at the beginning.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟248,004.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm surprised by the number of saints that had pets. If animals don't go to Heaven, then what is the point of caring about them?
I am disappointed by how many Orthodox think dogs in particular are somehow special to God. Is that a heresy?
First of all, why do you think "going to heaven" is what it is all about? I suggest Jesus was more interested in establishing the Kingdom of God. Second, how do you know that animals don't "go to heaven"?

Upvote 0

Jackson Cooper

Sep 18, 2017
Nowhere
✟37,463.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
First of all, why do you think "going to heaven" is what it is all about? I suggest Jesus was more interested in establishing the Kingdom of God. Second, how do you know that animals don't "go to heaven"?
Jesus came to save humans, not animals. I think if animals did go to Heaven, there would be more mention of it.

Upvote 0

Jackson Cooper

Sep 18, 2017
Nowhere
✟37,463.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think I will never again get another pet. I want to love them more than I should, probably due to the fact that I don't have any human friends. I would rather never know an animal than to love it knowing it will forget me forever.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think I will never again get another pet. I want to love them more than I should, probably due to the fact that I don't have any human friends. I would rather never know an animal than to love it knowing it will forget me forever.
It's painful losing a pet, but they are a comfort and there for us to watch over and care for, if we are able to. I'm so sorry that you don't have any human friends. Perhaps if you get involved in some hobby that involves a group of people, you may find some friends through there, and of course, church.

The animals and plants and everything came with man through the Fall. When Christ returns and transforms the world, making everything right again, there will be animals, etc. there. I believe this.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟248,004.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus came to save humans, not animals. I think if animals did go to Heaven, there would be more mention of it.
I suggest that this not the Biblical picture, exactly. Jesus came primarily to initiate the Kingdom of God here on Earth. Yes, we are also saved by what Jesus did. And while this is important, a careful reading of the Gospels shows Jesus was primarily concerned with initiating the Kingdom.

In any event, the Bible does NOT teach that the final destination of the saved is heaven; it is instead a redeemed and restored Earth.

And I see no reason to not expect to see animals there, including pets - we should place arbitrary limits on what God can do.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I suggest that this not the Biblical picture, exactly. Jesus came primarily to initiate the Kingdom of God here on Earth. Yes, we are also saved by what Jesus did. And while this is important, a careful reading of the Gospels shows Jesus was primarily concerned with initiating the Kingdom.

In any event, the Bible does NOT teach that the final destination of the saved is heaven; it is instead a redeemed and restored Earth.

And I see no reason to not expect to see animals there, including pets - we should place arbitrary limits on what God can do.

for us, the redeemed and restored heaven and earth is what folks mean when they say heaven after the Judgment

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟116,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It's definitely the case that this can go too far - when people start to think of them like their kids or something, I also think it's wrong to breed them until they have grotesque tendencies to health problems. However, it's a kind of gnosticism to say that humans are the only part of creation that matters and the rest is just for our enjoyment. God cares about the sparrows! We are responsible to the entire world, it's all there for a reason, we are just the priests of the temple using it to glorify God. I would also note that just as it's wrong to treat pets as children, it's wrong to treat your children as if they were pets - there is a good and right sort of affection and companionship with animals that isn't appropriate to have with humans. So, not, it is not wasted or inappropriate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Pets are good for human health. Stress, anxiety, loneliness, and depression are all mitigated when one has a pet.

Upvote 0

Jackson Cooper

Sep 18, 2017
Nowhere
✟37,463.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Pets are good for human health. Stress, anxiety, loneliness, and depression are all mitigated when one has a pet.
I think having them causes more stress. I'd rather not have the emotional turmoil.

Upvote 0

Phillip Evans

Hen Teaser
Nov 3, 2017
San Doritos, CA
✟8,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

With regards to salvation, sin is transgression of the law. 1 John 3:4

The Law was given to the children of Israel by Moses. In the law we see phrases such as "Gather me the people together, and I will make them hear my words". Deuteronomy 4:10

At no point do we read, "Moe, those cats over there, bring them to me that I may instruct them." Could you imagine herding cats?

There are laws to humans for animals, but not laws to animals.

We break laws. There is no law for them to break. Therefore, they do not sin.

I realize that the context will vary, but both ruach (spirit) and nephesh (soul) is used both for man and for lower animals.

In the text, "heavens" is more frequently plural. What do we know about where the spirit of an animal might reside? "Who knows the spirit of the sons of man, whether it goes upward; and the spirit of the beast,whether it goes downward to the earth?" Ecclesiastes 3:21 (LITV)

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You’re SERIOUSLY over-thinking this, man!

Love your pet, love your family, love your clergy, love your fellow parishioners, love your enemies.

My dog is currently suffering from valley fever. It’s serious, but treatable and he’s slooooowwwwly recovering. While I understand what Anastasia says about $$$ spent on animals, frankly I don’t care the cost and will spend what it takes to save our little guy. I have 4 cats and a dog. I love them all. And I love humans despite them often being less than easy to love.

There is no biblical “limit” on how much you should love a pet. Stop overthinking it, pray, enjoy your pets. Try to make some friends. Pray about it. Why don’t you have any? And how do you know an animal will forget you forever?

Upvote 0