Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If anything, on Mt. Athos there is a feline frenzy…cats everywhere.

Dogs, not so much.

I think it's because cats are the only animals allowed around Churches because they eat pests

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well how do you know what goes anywhere for one. This is what we call assumption.
I think animals have a spirit and brain.

Ok animals are given the ability to survive in the wild. The wild teaches us the true intent behind creation i think. Before we had language or a concept of collective beliefs. We had to survive. Like the animals. Because deny it or not..we are animals too.

no. while humans do have what animals have, we also possess a nous which animals do not have. so we are not animals in the sense you mean

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Easy now, poodle racist! I own a dog who is Shih-tzu, Pug, Poodle mix!

My Baxter almost died recently. Turns out he has VALLEY FEVER!! :crosseo:

Mixes get a pass.

Actually poodles are pretty cool within the context of their intended development. They were gun dogs, you know. And super smart.

I just can't quite get behind the Pom-poms and frills and painted toenails and tiny bows and all that some people insist on festooning their dogs with. But I'm not militant about it. If someone else wants to have a frilly dog, that's fine by me. I just wouldn't do it, and poodles are the epitome of that sort of thing.

I like German shepherds. Still miss my buddy Kai. He was the greatest dog ever.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Easy now, poodle racist! I own a dog who is Shih-tzu, Pug, Poodle mix!

My Baxter almost died recently. Turns out he has VALLEY FEVER!! :crosseo:
I hope Baxter is feeling better, btw!!!

Upvote 0

KernelPanic

Jan 13, 2017
US
✟27,212.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Cats keep the mice under control. Dogs, not so much :)
/imitates horrible russian accent

Vhat do you mean, no dog? Dog is right here. Is big fluffy dog.
Georgians-orthodox-christians-from-the-Ruisi-Urbnisi-bishoprics-2.jpg

:D

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Obviously in the beginning there were no pets. Man himself domesticated many types of animals to help him. Dogs were wolves before they became man's best friend. They were domesticated to help man in hunting and as protection for himself and his livestock. It is reciprocal they take care of us and we take care of them. In most parts of the world cats are liked not necessarily for companionship but because they can keep the rodent population to a minimum. What is one to say about the poor rooster? Only one is needed per hen house. Chickens are valuable for they lay eggs for food and the yolks can be used for pigment in painting. In poorer countries it' the rooster that usually ends up on the dinner table.

Reactions: fat wee robin
Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I am growing to resent dogs because many Orthodox falsely believe dogs are somehow special. It's a heresy and illogical. Why are dogs viewed as being more valuable than whales, donkeys, hippos, pigs, and parrots? They are not.

Are you sure it's Orthodox that think dogs are special? Trust me I've heard horror stories of treatment of dogs in Greece. And most traditional Orthodox nations would probably stereotype westerners as animal activist fanatics. Usually dogs in that part of the world are valued as guard dogs but the pet aspect as human companion not so much

• Agree
Reactions: fat wee robin
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Obviously in the beginning there were no pets. Man himself domesticated many types of animals to help him. Dogs were wolves before they became man's best friend. They were domesticated to help man in hunting and as protection for himself and his livestock. It is reciprocal they take care of us and we take care of them. In most parts of the world cats are liked not necessarily for companionship but because they can keep the rodent population to a minimum. What is one to say about the poor rooster? Only one is needed per hen house. Chickens are valuable for they lay eggs for food and the yolks can be used for pigment in painting. In poorer countries it' the rooster that usually ends up on the dinner table.

This is true for the males of many kinds of livestock. On my farm we were blessed to have far more pullets than cockerels hatch. Sometimes we sent hens to the table because we had so many. We were not so fortunate with goats. About twice as many bucklings produced as little does. The females almost always sell for more and are kept for breeding, milk, eggs. Males usually end up as meat - except one or two.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This is true for the males of many kinds of livestock. On my farm we were blessed to have far more pullets than cockerels hatch. Sometimes we sent hens to the table because we had so many. We were not so fortunate with goats. About twice as many bucklings produced as little does. The females almost always sell for more and are kept for breeding, milk, eggs. Males usually end up as meat - except one or two.

Interesting what you say as I view the belief that Mt Athos does not allow female animals to be brought in as more of a stereotype. Many of the cats are females and I'm not sure of today. But in past generations they had chickens for the eggs. The yolks were used in icon painting. Since Athonites are not breeders it' simply more practical and costs less to import a male donkey and whatever other animal.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Interesting what you say as I view the belief that Mt Athos does not allow female animals to be brought in as more of a stereotype. Many of the cats are females and I'm not sure of today. But in past generations they had chickens for the eggs. The yolks were used in icon painting. Since Athonites are not breeders it' simply more practical and costs less to import a male donkey and whatever other animal.

I had thoughts along those lines. I heard no female animals ... yet if they have hens laying eggs, they have females. I thought there were female cats and goats as well. But maybe I heard wrong on the goats if they don't breed anything. Most goats will be worthless as anything but brush-clearers if not bred every 14 months or so (though I used to have one milk goat that just kept milking even without breeding - I think that's rare though).

Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am growing to resent dogs because many Orthodox falsely believe dogs are somehow special. It's a heresy and illogical. Why are dogs viewed as being more valuable than whales, donkeys, hippos, pigs, and parrots? They are not.
I don't like the love of dogs as in being physically close to them which many are .Their flesh is different from ours, and they often have parasites which do pass to humans, and cause terrible problems .
But they are very useful creatures for those who live in the countryside , and I have a particular liking for collies ,especially Scottish border collies ,both intelligent and useful .My neighbours in the village have too many dogs ,often there or four barking ,and indicating the 'hatred and fear of their neighbour, of the owners .
In Ireland dogs are very rare, as we never have had the obsession with property and wealth which the English and French have had . So what a relief to go walking where there are no barking dogs . (or few )

Upvote 0

Jackson Cooper

Sep 18, 2017
Nowhere
✟37,463.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have yet to meet an Orthodox Christian who believes this.
I have encountered dozens. Do you live in the United States? Virtually 100% of the Christians I've encountered from all denominations think that it is wrong to kill and eat dogs. It's disappointment when so many Christians listen to the anti-Christian Western culture so often.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,180,783.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have encountered dozens. Do you live in the United States? Virtually 100% of the Christians I've encountered from all denominations think that it is wrong to kill and eat dogs. It's disappointment when so many Christians listen to the anti-Christian Western culture so often.
I suspect most would consider it wrong to kill and eat whales, donkeys, hippos and parrots. Pigs, not so much.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

yes, I live in the US. and while we love them since they are a common pet, I have yet to meet anyone Orthodox who thinks dogs have a greater intrinsic value.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I think you are reaching a conclusion based on reasons that don't apply.

It is a western (and other places) mindset that doesn't consider dogs desireable as food. But there are many animals we would not consider as food, like prodromos said. That doesn't mean we elevate them to some special high value.

People all over the world develop ideas about food based on the culture around them. That isn't a secular phenomenon, it's a human phenomenon.

If Christianity had as a core value that dogs were desired especially for food, and some Christians went against the faith, you might have a point. But Christianity doesn't say - anywhere - that eating dogs is part of the faith.

Upvote 0

Jackson Cooper

Sep 18, 2017
Nowhere
✟37,463.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
yes, I live in the US. and while we love them since they are a common pet, I have yet to meet anyone Orthodox who thinks dogs have a greater intrinsic value.
I just remember an Orthodox priest did tell me it would be a sin to kill a dog. I don't know for sure, but he may have been OCA.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I just remember an Orthodox priest did tell me it would be a sin to kill a dog. I don't know for sure, but he may have been OCA.

That is strange. Perhaps you misunderstood. Dogs are not sacred to us.

But we are to be stewards over creation. To treat any animal cruelly for sport is certainly a sin because it would be to delight in the suffering of a creature.

Upvote 0