• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Arctic sea ice at record low for this time of year

Discussion in 'Physical & Life Sciences' started by essentialsaltes, Jul 12, 2020.

1. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+13,828
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    NASA link. Extent and area are minimum or tie the minimum measured on July 8.

[​IMG]

Broader look:

The record-setting heat wave that swept through Arctic Siberia in June has yielded a wide-range of deleterious effects in the expansive polar and sub-polar region, triggering raging wildfires, thawing permafrost, and now, spurring the rapid melt-out of Arctic sea ice.

Last month, Siberian temperatures spiked, reaching a record average more than 5 degrees Celsius (9 degrees Fahrenheit) hotter than normal, according to recently released data from the European Union. The remote town of Verkhoyansk in northeast Siberia recorded a reading of more than 38 degrees Celsius (100 degrees Fahrenheit) on June 17, the highest temperature ever recorded north of the Arctic Circle.

Under this metaphorical blow torch, ice extent in the seas that border Siberia has plummeted in recent days, pushing the Arctic region as a whole into the record books. Between July 2 and July 7, sea ice extent across the Arctic Ocean went from being at its fifth lowest extent for this time of year since satellite record-keeping began in 1979, melting into first place, slightly below even the calamitous year of 2012 which eventually saw sea ice hit a record low at the end of the summer melt season in September.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Regular Member

+8,282
    Atheist
    Single
    I used to argue against AGW quite a few years ago, but kept finding all of the best evidence on the other side. It was a graph of the Arctic Ice Death Spiral that finally sealed the deal for me. That was chart of the volume of Arctic sea ice rather than surface area. Since it is an annual chart this year's is not ready yet:

[​IMG]

That and Lord Mockton, who used the same debating techniques that creationists use made me see the error of my ways. If AGW was fake why use dishonest debating techniques against it?

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Halbhh

Halbhh Everything You say is Life to me Supporter

+6,036
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    neat chart!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Halbhh

Halbhh Everything You say is Life to me Supporter

+6,036
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Yah, been watching that one, after @ZNP posted about the record 100F day in a Siberian town, and the fires. You can see the graph updated daily at the main site from the NSIDC, so I've checked on it a couple of times a week. Good summary.

5. JackRT

JackRT Well-Known Member Supporter

+15,113
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    This year's ice melt in the Canadian arctic is about normal for recent years. The main sea ice loss is mostly in the Russian arctic.
    [​IMG]

6. essentialsaltes

+13,828
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
  7. essentialsaltes

+13,828
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
  8. JackRT

JackRT Well-Known Member Supporter

+15,113
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    The Canadian/Greenland Arctic is losing ice at a rapid pace but the Russian Arctic is losing ice even faster. We are on track for a record low sea ice minimum this summer --- late August or early September.