• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Acts 16:14

Discussion in 'Salvation (Soteriology)' started by Hammster, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Hammster

Hammster Every knee shall bow. Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+14,837
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    I haven't harassed you at all. I just asked a qualifying question about your post. Since you don't seem to want to answer, then you are under no obligation to participate in this thread.

2. hedrick

hedrick Senior Veteran Supporter

+4,240
    Presbyterian
    Single
    I'm always wary of using Scripture to answer questions of ours that don't seem to be in view in the Scripture itself. There's no statement about how she might have been prepared for this, and what part her own will might have had. It is certainly clear that the Holy Spirit moves us to hear the Gospel. But this doesn't resolve the monergism question. Nor does anything else in Scripture that I know of.

3. OzSpen

OzSpen Regular Member

+612
    Australia
    Baptist
    Private
    Because God said so!

4. OzSpen

OzSpen Regular Member

+612
    Australia
    Baptist
    Private
    You are harassing me again. Please quit it.

5. AndOne

AndOne Deliver me oh Lord, from evil men

+435
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married

I'm not following you on this. The quote from Duet doesn't really answer the question.

Possibly - but you will have to be more specific about the above quotation from Deut. in order to convince me. Romans 9 kinda makes it clear that we aren't to question God on why some are saved and others aren't. (Vs 20-23)

6. Hammster

+14,837
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Why did He say so?

7. OzSpen

OzSpen Regular Member

+612
    Australia
    Baptist
    Private
    That's your Calvinistic interpretation speaking, but it's not the title of the thread.

8. OzSpen

OzSpen Regular Member

+612
    Australia
    Baptist
    Private
    You and I don't have the ontological essence of God's mind.

9. Hammster

+14,837
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Well, it's obvious you have no intention of actually participating in this thread.

10. OzSpen

OzSpen Regular Member

+612
    Australia
    Baptist
    Private
    You have not a clue about what 'participating' means when you make this kind of comment, as I have been participating.

You don't like the content of my participation so you invent a straw man logical fallacy and you accuse me of having 'no intention of actually participating in this thread'.

Now you have given me the answer to your comment at #22:
    What has happened to me in this thread with your harassment of me is a further demonstration that you don't want participation by those who disagree with your perspective.

Oz

11. Hammster

+14,837
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    I have no problems with disagreements. And since you don't, perhaps you'd like to answer this question that I posed to you.

So until the Lord opened her heart, there was no way she could respond positively to the gospel?

12. AndOne

AndOne Deliver me oh Lord, from evil men

+435
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    Why this response, brother? I can only take it to mean that because I'm a Calvinist you think I have nothing to offer to the conversation or you don't want to interact with me. Where I come from that's called discrimination.

13. guuila

guuila Guest

+0
    Geez.

14. OzSpen

OzSpen Regular Member

+612
    Australia
    Baptist
    Private
    What does this mean?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  15. OzSpen

OzSpen Regular Member

+612
    Australia
    Baptist
    Private
    I answered this at #103 and #104 at: http://www.christianforums.com/t7804942-11/

You didn't like what I wrote so you harass me again with this post. The rule against harassment on CF has come to mean nothing when you, a moderator, use harassment of me.

Bye, Oz

16. OzSpen

OzSpen Regular Member

+612
    Australia
    Baptist
    Private
    Where I come from, that's called telling the truth. There is not meant to be a gram of discrimination in what I said - from my perspective. I love and respect you in the Lord, but when I see a particular type of interpretation being pushed at the expense of other interpretations, I tell the truth about what I see.

17. Hammster

+14,837
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Bye.

18. Hammster

+14,837
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Well, that was fun. Now, if anyone would actually like to discuss the OP, here it is again:

A woman named Lydia, from the city of Thyatira, a seller of purple fabrics, a worshiper of God, was listening; and the Lord opened her heart to respond to the things spoken by Paul. (Acts 16:14 NASB)

Why was it necessary for Jesus to open her heart? What was wrong with her in the first place? Did she not have the free will to choose prior to that?

Please note, any response from any position is open to scrutiny. If you can't deal with having a post questioned, maybe Soteriology isn't the place for you.

Anyway, have fun.

19. OzSpen

OzSpen Regular Member

+612
    Australia
    Baptist
    Private
    And does that apply to your response as well?

20. cygnusx1

cygnusx1 Jacob the twister.....

+2,777
    Calvinist
    Married
    "Why was it necessary for Jesus to open her heart? "

seems a straight forward question , but i don't see the point in ignoring this question and asking 'could she have responded if The Lord hadn't opened her heart ...