Would you marry a woman who was a former stripper or X-rated star if she turned into a Christian ?

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,512,014.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Is sexual promiscuity a positive or negative aspect we seek out in a partner as Christians?
Current sexual promiscuity would be an issue. I would argue that past sexual promiscuity, now repented of, in and of itself is neutral. There may be negative consequences for the person concerned. There may also be grace in which God has worked through that history for good. You'd have to actually get to know the person.

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,512,014.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Since sexual promiscuity can be regarded as neutral after repentance, does that therefore mean the actions themselves were insignificant?
No.
You're saying there will be negative consequences, but one of those consequences can't be romantic rejection?
It can be, sure. What I'm looking at is the motivation for that rejection. If it's basically a devaluing of the person, I'd say, from a Christian point of view, that's a problem.

Reactions: The Liturgist

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,512,014.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Who do reckon is more likely to remain faithful in a marriage, the promiscuous or those who havent been promiscuous? Or are both equally likely to cheat? Does it therefore not matter if we are promiscuous at a certain point of our lives? Since there are seemingly no negative consequences to it?
Interestingly, the research I've been able to find says that men who have been promiscuous before marriage are more likely to cheat than men who have not; but women who have been promiscuous before marriage are less likely to cheat than women who have not. Perhaps that speaks to different motivations in men and women (in general) for both promiscuity and adultery.

However... I agree with @2PhiloVoid that there might be quite a range of negative consequences. But we don't need to add to them by effectively punishing that person in an ongoing way.
Given that casual sex has no lasting negative affects and that it is more the fault of the person judging you if they reject you for it, what reason is there to abstain from it? Other than it making God angry until you repent? ...Why should we restrain ourselves?
Why abstain from any sin? Or to put that another way, if the only reason for not sinning is that your community will punish you for sinning, isn't that a problem in and of itself?
Also, since Child molesters are always devalued for their sin...
NB: Not what I actually said.
are there other sins which can be grounds for rejecting marriage? I get that promiscuity is fine in your eyes, but what about infidelity?
Also, I didn't say "promiscuity is fine."

Look, each person has to get to know another person, find out their character, their gifts and strengths, their flaws and weaknesses, and make a call about whether that person looks like a good life partner. I think the key issue there is not about "what was their biggest sin?" but "how much is whatever their sins have been, either truly in the past, or something that doesn't prevent us from building a loving life partnership?"

• Agree

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,512,014.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
And what if it isnt simply beside the point? Then they're mean and hostile, lol.
Not necessarily, but it might be wise to ask yourself why it isn't beside the point. Some on this thread seem to feel the need to punish people for their past, but that's not our calling as Christians.
Do you agree that people should have consequences and responsibility for their actions and choices?
Yes.
Shall my prospective Wife have no self discipline? It isnt beside the point, it is the point.
Firstly... their behaviour in the past might not have been about a lack of self discipline. (Indeed, surviving sex work might take a very great deal of self discipline, for what it's worth). Secondly, the question is not whether someone lacked self-discipline in the past, it's whether they have self-discipline now. I wonder how much self-discipline it takes, to successfully exit that lifestyle?

• Agree

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,512,014.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You did say it was beside the point.
Beside the point when considering someone's potential to be a good life partner in the future.
If a girl has no restraint or self discipline about her sexuality before her marriage to whatever man, then she will continue to be irresponsible throughout the marriage.
Hmm. So her willingness to commit to a Christian marriage is, in your view, feigned? Or perhaps you think she is deluding herself about her own ability to live up to that commitment?

It's a pretty low view of human beings, isn't it?
Oh that might be nice for her, but if he says no to marrying her, by whos actions was a wrongness created?
I'm not arguing that it's a "wrong" to turn her down at all. I'm interrogating the attitudes people hold which might lead to them making that decision.

• Winner

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,512,014.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Why are you making excuses for promiscuous women? It was exactly a lack of self discipline.
That's an unfounded assumption; and from what I know of women who engage in sex work, often quite an incorrect one.
So being a SW now is being self disciplined? Surely you jest! WHo taught you such a thing?!
There may be any number of character flaws involved in taking up sex work. But having the tenacity to continue to turn up and work hard in a role where you are consistently degraded and exploited, in order to survive and make your way in life, whatever else might be said of it, does take a degree of self-discipline. You want someone who knows how to persevere when the going gets tough? You might well do worse than someone who's learned that in incredibly adverse circumstances.

I'm curious, have you ever had any conversations with women who are, or have been, or are considering entering into, sex work, about their experiences, their motivations, their feelings, their hopes and dreams and fears? Because I have, and the stereotypes in this thread don't match the reality.

• Winner

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,512,014.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Doesn't anyone realize that God gave mankind marriage as a shadow of His own relationship with us?
And you're putting that forward as an argument as to why someone who repents and turns to God is not acceptable?
The bride has made herself ready is what scripture says. It doesnt say that the bride is allowed to sacrifice to other gods and somehow dodge the responsibility of fidelity within the heart because she says she is offended because she reaps consequences for her own irresponsibility.
Which would be why none of this conversation has been about people who have not repented or changed their ways. But about people who have indeed done the hard work of making themselves ready.

As for Proverbs 31, there's been so much manipulative and unhelpful bunk written about that passage, I'd ask someone what they understood by it before judging their reaction!

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,512,014.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Care to explain it? Sounds to me like she should do all the work while I sit at the gates with the men and consider God and what His will is for our community :)
It's probably getting a bit off-topic. If you're really interested maybe start another thread, and I'll try to look in on it tomorrow (it's getting very late here and I need to go and crash!)

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,512,014.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Why would Proverbs 31 touch a nerve with you?
I'm just pointing out that there's a lot of unhelpful teaching about it out there, so someone's reaction might not be for bad reasons.

I've never been a gambler. I dont like the odds being against me. But if she is true then everything will be ok on it's own. And all these things shall be added unto you. Right?... I am now supposed to give the 99 girls the ok?
But nobody's suggesting taking on a woman sight unseen. Good grief! Get to know her. See her character. See how she is in relationships with others. See how she lives her life. And - whatever her sexual past might have been - you'll be able to judge if this person looks like a good potential life partner.
SO that they might not get offended?
Who has suggested that anyone might be offended? We are discussing hypotheticals. You seem to be taking this thread as personal criticism, but it isn't.

• Agree

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are all on a level playing field.
We're really not.
We all start out with perfect vehicles
We really don't.
The problem is that no one was (hardly) ever taught to love people.
The problem is sin.
But there are girls that I have seen and met that simply shined goodness. They dont talk like the other girls, they dont act like the other girls.
Maybe you should have married one by now.
I had a woman tell me once that, women dont marry for love. They marry for security.
Is that true or false?
Probably some true and some false. But I don't know every woman.

This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,512,014.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
@Paidiske
@Divide

Do you guys find this helpful ????

cut/pasted from above...

I guess - as a model (an imperfect framework to help view something) i could seperate people out by 3 things???
In my imperfect model - there are three aspects of a person??

1) Physical universe - Brain stuff, physical stuff, scientific method, ... ... ... who the person is physically (genetics, predispositions like alcohol etc etc)
2) Spiritual universe - things like beauty, truth, goodness, god, love, hope. spirit universe is bigger than the physical. This is who the person is in their heart. Do they value god, kindness, love, compassion, goodness, beauty, hope ... ... .... I dont expect they will be able to act this out in the physical universe all the time ... ... ... but to respect and value that stuff is really important to me.
3) Potential self - who the person is capable of becoming. they exist "in potential". It's important to me to see "who they want to be".

for me, number 1 is subordinate to 2 & 3.

2 & 3 are really important.
I don't think it's unhelpful; it's definitely a tonne better than having a list of things that, once done, automatically disqualify someone. In general, if we're talking about romantic relationships, I'd be looking also at potential to be a good team together.
I had a woman tell me once that, women dont marry for love. They marry for security.
Is that true or false?
Many women are prevented from furthering their education, careers, and so on. They're kept dependent on men. They are more likely to marry for security. Someone who is confident she can support her household, or support herself if the marriage ends, is less likely to see security as the overriding concern.
I believe you did.
Not once have I suggested that a hypothetical rejected former sex worker would be offended by the rejection, or that that is a reason to not reject her.
You said I'm hostile. How can that be if the girl we speak of is hypothetical?
Some of your posts in this thread are pretty hostile, yes. That's not hypothetical, that's actual comments made by you.
So no one should be upset. Some girls might not like how I talk. But that doesntmatter as long we stay polite, right?
I wonder if you'd be upset by someone putting up lots of posts claiming things such as that all men lie, are manipulative, and so on? Would you consider that polite? I'd suggest it's at least skirting close to CF's rules on not flaming people as a group.

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,512,014.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So you'd maybe say, when choosing a partner, you account for:

Spiritual values
And
personality compatibility

???
Amongst other things, yes. But definitely both of those would need to be in there.

• Agree

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟217,842.00
Faith
Non-Denom
If an attractive women that was a former sex-worker becomes a Christian woman would you date her and consider marriage with her ?
I think I mentioned to you on another thread......I'd pray to God and see if she was for me. Even if she didn't have this colorful past and always was a good moral person....I still wouldn't marry her.....What God are YOU saying to me?

As for her being what you said......sex worker well remember......all, ALL, ALL, have sinned and fallen short...remember this too......guess who is in the genealogy of Jesus Christ? Rahab the prostitute of Jericho!

Salmon and Rahab were the father and mother of Boaz. Boaz and Ruth were the father and mother of Obed. … Matthew 1:5

So through Rahab came Jesus Christ down the line. So if Salmon can marry a former prostitute can't be considered wrong if one in our day got saved and a Christian married her. Remember you were washed, cleansed, sanctified and the scarlet thread of blood (of Jesus) makes one just as if they'd NEVER sinned.

Upvote 0

QuestionQuest74

Oct 12, 2023
Fort Lauderdale
✟24,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think I mentioned to you on another thread......I'd pray to God and see if she was for me. Even if she didn't have this colorful past and always was a good moral person....I still wouldn't marry her.....What God are YOU saying to me?

As for her being what you said......sex worker well remember......all, ALL, ALL, have sinned and fallen short...remember this too......guess who is in the genealogy of Jesus Christ? Rahab the prostitute of Jericho!

Salmon and Rahab were the father and mother of Boaz. Boaz and Ruth were the father and mother of Obed. … Matthew 1:5

So through Rahab came Jesus Christ down the line. So if Salmon can marry a former prostitute can't be considered wrong if one in our day got saved and a Christian married her. Remember you were washed, cleansed, sanctified and the scarlet thread of blood (of Jesus) makes one just as if they'd NEVER sinned.
I know but im seeing everyone views on this

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟338,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If an attractive women that was a former sex-worker becomes a Christian woman would you date her and consider marriage with her ?

Me? I'm already married, and I'm not attracted to women, so that's a no for me.

You? You have to decide for yourself, looking honestly inside yourself, whether it's going to bother you that your potential spouse has had other partners, and that they've done sex work for money. If 5, 10, 20 years into the marriage, you're still going to be holding it against them, then don't waste their time, and move on to someone else. Or, if you're a virgin, and it matters to you that your partner is also a virgin, then you may want to date someone else. On the other hand, if you've both had multiple partners before, you might be able to commit to one another "from this day forward" and make it work. So, being honest with yourself, does your partner's past as a sex worker bother you, or not, and how much?

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,969.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm going to put this in spoiler tags so people who would be uncomfortable with reading my reasons don't have to.
Being forgiven by God does not scrub your Internet presence, reverse the two becoming one flesh, cure STDs or addictions, heal trauma, make dysfunctional relatives functional, erase your sexual memories, or erase other people's sexual memories of you. If I get married, I'd want to be able to take her to work parties and no one has ever been with her, or seen her indecently (and so many of my coworkers have looked at inappropriate content). Furthermore, being as I have saved myself for marriage and I continue to do so, I want that in return. My folks waited, they're still together, and they told me that helped. I know who I take after, and I believe that would also be helpful to me. I know there are other couples who go through retroactive jealousy, sometimes it (weirdly) kicks in years into the relationship, and I don't want to experience that with someone I am married to.

When picking a spouse, we need to be realistic about what "warts and all" means because that is what we are getting when we get married. Realistically, I see the above "warts" as deal breakers for me, therefore I couldn't seriously consider a woman who has those as the right wife for me.

Upvote 0

QuestionQuest74

Oct 12, 2023
Fort Lauderdale
✟24,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm going to put this in spoiler tags so people who would be uncomfortable with reading my reasons don't have to.
Being forgiven by God does not scrub your Internet presence, reverse the two becoming one flesh, cure STDs or addictions, heal trauma, make dysfunctional relatives functional, erase your sexual memories, or erase other people's sexual memories of you. If I get married, I'd want to be able to take her to work parties and no one has ever been with her, or seen her indecently (and so many of my coworkers have looked at inappropriate content). Furthermore, being as I have saved myself for marriage and I continue to do so, I want that in return. My folks waited, they're still together, and they told me that helped. I know who I take after, and I believe that would also be helpful to me. I know there are other couples who go through retroactive jealousy, sometimes it (weirdly) kicks in years into the relationship, and I don't want to experience that with someone I am married to.

When picking a spouse, we need to be realistic about what "warts and all" means because that is what we are getting when we get married. Realistically, I see the above "warts" as deal breakers for me, therefore I couldn't seriously consider a woman who has those as the right wife for me.
She’s beautiful and have great traits you would want in a Godly women

Reactions: Terri Dactyl
Upvote 0