Women are to keep silent in church??

tangled

Oct 7, 2011
✟16,154.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
So, what does that have anything to do with a woman becoming a speaker in a church in a pastoral role?

The idea of the OP and the idea being conveyed by Paul to the church in Galatia in Galatians chapter 3 have *nothing* to do with each other. I'm sorry.

I don't have the energy to teach you.
Good day.

Upvote 0

B-74

Jan 23, 2012
USA
✟2,637.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I might keep silent in the church...but that does not mean I keep silent. :) If I feel led to talk of the things of the Lord with a man or a woman...I will SPEAK! :) If I write a book...that means...I SPEAK! :) I am not silent....to keep silent of the things that are revealed to me...would be going against the will of God...I know I am to speak....just not in church...but if I was to be asked to speak in church...I WOULD SPEAK!!! :)

Sounds reasonable. It doesn't fly in the face of established doctrine necessarily, and seems logical

Upvote 0

B-74

Jan 23, 2012
USA
✟2,637.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
This is a place of fellowship...if women were to be silent then this board should be for men only.

Agreed, i think its mostly Church rules that is the issue, most men and women at CF learn from each other i think. Some just don't want to change what Paul has established, im one of them. But i respect women and i learn from women who are older than i am, i respect my elders, i try anyway. I'll learn from anyone who teaches properly, in love and truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Harmonizing is connection.

Then you're certainly using the word differently than I am, and in a way I've never seen it used. I don't think it has to do with teaching anybody anything, I think these two passages are talking about distinct things. I don't think anyone can show otherwise.

Upvote 0

TamaraLynne

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Michigan
✟11,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't mind if men teach...I'm a bit shy anyways :) but if I ever feel the need to speak I will speak...but I will not be rude in church by speaking out...that would be like not raising my hand to speak in school. I don't see women speaking out of turn in church...I think we got the message . :)

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Disclaimer... haven't read 18 pages of this thread.

I don't have any source to cite for this... I was taught that in the early church men and women would sit in different areas, and that some women were speaking to their husbands during the meetings, causing a distraction or disruption.

I agree with the comment above. There's a pretty good chance that this was a house church, not a building like a synagogue with that kind of formal structure. So I wouldn't want to bet too much on this interpretation.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is a place of fellowship...if women were to be silent then this board should be for men only.

I go further than your previous post; the women not speaking in
Church thing was in a specific setting, and context. Nobody should be out of order, which has nothing to do with male or female. This is also distinct from the ordaining women issue.

Keeping it simple, I don't see any way to apply that particular verse (of the OP / thread title) today, as it originally applied to the Church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

B-74

Jan 23, 2012
USA
✟2,637.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I go further than your previous post; the women not speaking in
Church thing was in a specific setting, and context. Nobody should be out of order, which has nothing to do with male or female. This is also distinct from the ordaining women issue.

Keeping it simple, I don't see any way to apply that particular verse (of the OP / thread title) today, as it originally applied to the Church.

We still haven't got passed the fact that the apostles only gave rules governing bishops and deacons for men. There are no rules for women other than rules for a bishop or deacons wife. And not all men can be bishops or deacons either, thats what the rules are for, to tell us who we can appoint to those positions.

Upvote 0

tangled

Oct 7, 2011
✟16,154.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Then you're certainly using the word differently than I am, and in a way I've never seen it used. I don't think it has to do with teaching anybody anything, I think these two passages are talking about distinct things. I don't think anyone can show otherwise.

It'll be okay...
God enables.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's impossible to let go, brother.

See, now this is something where I wouldn't mind at all having someone teach me, regardless if they are male or female, younger or older. It strikes me that you have something good here, and I don't know what that is or how you mean it. Sure, anything any of us can say, someone will come along and take it the wrong way, with all sorts of odd consequences. In pretty much all those situations, I've been able to more than merely make peace with such an individual, but come to see things eye to eye, benefitting us both, and those around us. (Some may still be in that process, and others are hard-core atheists)

When you're up for it, have a go?

Ray

Upvote 0

TamaraLynne

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Michigan
✟11,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes...back in the day....women knew nothing...that is why Mary sat at the feet of Jesus...she was so hungry for the things of God...what she did by sitting at his feet and listening..was not allowed back in those days.
The women in the church were also not knowledgeable of the things of God...they had many Questions....they were not exactely sitting at the feet of Jesus...listening....they had much to learn back then. Soooo they had many questions.

Upvote 0