Lindas Place

Oct 11, 2011
United States
✟16,855.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why does the Bible say this? Does it still apply today?

My dad went on this long rant earlier about how men are above women and that women should not be preachers.
Under the Law, women were little more than property. Women had no more rights over their own destiny than a child had; perhaps even less. A common prayer of both Orthodox Jews and Muslem men even today is, "Lord, thank you I was not born a woman."

Are women really held in such low esteem by God?

Jesus Christ came to redeem us from the curse. Jesus Christ came to set the captives free. Jesus Christ came and bore our iniquities, the injustices done to us. Jesus Christ came and elevated women to a status unknown before this time, equality with men in the sight of God.

Gal 3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

When we look at the actions of Jesus towards women, what do we see?

We see Anna, a widow for 84 years who lived in the temple of God serving God day and night with fastings and prayers, prophesying over the Christ Child together with Simeon speaking to all present that Jesus was the redemption for Jerusalem. (Luke 2:25-38)
We see Jesus allowing the woman healed of the issue of blood to testify to what has just happened to her in the sight of all the people present. (Matthew 9:20-22 ; Mark 5:25-34; Luke 8:48)
We see Jesus commending the Gentile woman's great faith before His disciples. (Matthew 15:22-28)
We see Jesus rebuking Peter and the other disciples for murmuring against the woman with the alabaster box. We see Jesus note that her actions would be spoken of and remembered forever as a memorial to her. (Matthew 26:7; Luke 7:37-50)
We see Jesus ignoring the conventional decorum of the day and choosing to heal the woman who had a spirit of infirmity 18 years on the sabbath. (Luke 13:11-13) He didn't rebuke the woman for glorifying God in the synogogue once she was healed. In fact, Jesus rebuked the ruler of the synagogue for his indignation at Christ's actions.
We see Jesus doing the unthinkable! Not only does he speak to a woman ALONE, but he speaks to a GENTILE woman alone. Not only does he speak to her and set her free, but this woman went immediately as an evangelist to her people speaking to the men of the town, "Come, see a man, which told me all things that ever I did: is not this the Christ?" (John 4:6-42) Many men believed because of her testimony and many more believed after hearing Christ's own words. Were they not glad that this woman did not keep silent?

We see that those FIRST commissioned to spread the Gospel of the resurrection were women sent to deliver the good news to the disciples.

Matthew 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre. 2 And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it. 3 His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow: 4 And for fear of him the keepers did shake, and became as dead men. 5 And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified. 6 He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay. 7 And go quickly, and tell his disciples that he is risen from the dead; and, behold, he goeth before you into Galilee; there shall ye see him: lo, I have told you. 8 And they departed quickly from the sepulchre with fear and great joy; and did run to bring his disciples word. 9 And as they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, All hail. And they came and held him by the feet, and worshipped him. 10 Then said Jesus unto them, Be not afraid: go tell my brethren that they go into Galilee, and there shall they see me.

In all these instances, we see God moving to and through women, not only to minister to other women and to children, but to men. Christ commissioned women to minister to men. The moving of the Holy Spirit is no respecter of sex. God himself promised that He would pour out His spirit upon all flesh, male and female.

Act 2:16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; 17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: 18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

If the prophesies of the Lord are going to come to pass, God will most certainly use women. God always has and He always will. Paul isn't contradicting that.

Upvote 0

B-74

Jan 23, 2012
USA
✟2,637.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
When he is odl I think means when hes of age, but I guess it could mean when hes literally old.

My parents raised me well and I was a very good christian until my injury, then I got mad for a bit and realized how stupid that was and went back to how I was raised. So I guess it is true. No matter what happens how we are raised never really leaves us, its still there. Its why it should be asy to go back to it like it was for me.

It never left me, i always knew the truth, never stopped believing. Thats another way to look at it. But i was hard headed, and God let me go my own way and i messed everything up. Only now do i get wise, only now after so much misery. :doh:

He never cast me away, Hes still with me urging me to follow. And now i am. I wish i would have learned a long time ago, i lost so mush that God had in store for me

But i'm so grateful to the Lord. :)

Ps 126:5 They that sow in tears shall reap in joy.

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
He never cast me away, Hes still with me urging me to follow. And now i am. I wish i would have learned a long time ago, i lost so mush that God had in store for me

But i'm so grateful to the Lord. :)
Amen. When I tell people my story I am very shocked how many said they wouldn't know if they would remain christian after going through what I did. It makes me feel alot better because I know despite being angry at God for a short period, in the end I would not give up on forever because he is the Great I Am. He died on a cross for me. Hes done more for me then I could do for a million people.

To realize many christians would face a a trial like mine and quit...wow. Thank you God for giving me such strength to overcome that period!

Upvote 0

B-74

Jan 23, 2012
USA
✟2,637.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Amen. When I tell people my story I am very shocked how many said they wouldn't know if they would remain christian after going through what I did. It makes me feel alot better because I know despite being angry at God for a short period, in the end I would not give up on forever because he is the Great I Am. He died on a cross for me. Hes done more for me then I could do for a million people.

To realize many christians would face a a trial like mine and quit...wow. Thank you God for giving me such strength to overcome that period!

Yes, i was mad at God a few times, but it was my fault.

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
How important is a mothers time to raise her family and be a homemaker play into all this? Maybe paul had good reason for his rules. Maybe its Gods will. The mother is like an anchor for the whole family, it may seem like a lesser role to some people, but its a vital role in the family, without it the family would fall apart in today's evil world. In my opinion anyway.

I think it says somewhere in the bible that is the most noble thing a women can do, but i not sure, my memory may be wrong.

Women actually raise and teach the next generation, the man does too, but the woman more so, because traditionally the man worked to put food on the table.

This is assuming that a married couple has a child.

My wife and I don't have any children together. I do have five children from a previous non-marriage relationship (before I became a Christian). These children live 1200 miles away from me.

So our family is just her and I. Because of her illness, she doesn't do much around the house. I pretty much do it all.

So there are variables within family structures.

Reactions: tangled
Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, i was mad at God a few times, but it was my fault.
Exactly. I may not have casued my injury, but it was still my fault for being mad at him and everyone else. I control my emotions and had to fix them. I'm glad I did! I'm even more glad God forgives us even when we do the most vile of things.

So there are variables within family structures.
Nowadays families are so siffrent from one to the next. Since I am disabled I cannot work, there for I have no problem doing work at home that most women would do or being a at home dad (when the time comes). Where as my fiance and soon to be wife has no problem working. Its reversed roles.

However even with reversed roles she still comes to me before she does anything. Mind you I never said she had to when we met. She naturally said she is the woman and as her future husband she needs to run things past me for approval. Part of me feels weird because I don't like to control people, but the other side of me knows that even though I don't work I am still head of the household. So I am thankful she is like that. Where as my ex-gf was the opposite. She did whatever she wanted to most of the time. Such as spending $3000 on some music software. >.>

Upvote 0

B-74

Jan 23, 2012
USA
✟2,637.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Exactly. I may not have casued my injury, but it was still my fault for being mad at him and everyone else. I control my emotions and had to fix them. I'm glad I did! I'm even more glad God forgives us even when we do the most vile of things.

Nowadays families are so siffrent from one to the next. Since I am disabled I cannot work, there for I have no problem doing work at home that most women would do or being a at home dad (when the time comes). Where as my fiance and soon to be wife has no problem working. Its reversed roles.

However even with reversed roles she still comes to me before she does anything. Mind you I never said she had to when we met. She naturally said she is the woman and as her future husband she needs to run things past me for approval. Part of me feels weird because I don't like to control people, but the other side of me knows that even though I don't work I am still head of the household. So I am thankful she is like that. Where as my ex-gf was the opposite. She did whatever she wanted to most of the time. Such as spending $3000 on some music software. >.>

She sounds like a good wife. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

briareos

Mar 11, 2011
Fort Bragg, NC
✟6,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I find the scripture that God sees no male or female to be entirely relevant. If this is true then it would mean he does not demand they serve different roes in the body of Christ and that Paul had some other purpose in mind. Such as avoiding a female uprising against sexist culture, when the important thing at the time was the gospel.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

And what's wrong with music software? You big meanie! ^_^

No seriously, it sounds like your fiance is sensible enough to want the protective covering God designed a husband to be. 2 heads are better than one, and all that. "[Whoso] findeth a wife findeth a good [thing], and obtaineth favour of the LORD." (Proverbs 18:22) With or without the King James, the sentiment holds true. Congratulations!

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks. I feel lucky God gave me one of his most amazing daughters. He knew exactly what I needed to balance me out and vica versa. My fiance is so nice she even reminds me of things like taking my pills, reading devotions...etc. Which is one of those things I have always wanted in a christian woman. Someone who could help with my memory and also love me and look past the fact I am disabled. God is good!

Reactions: tangled
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums