thepurplehymn

Feb 8, 2012
Savannah, Georgia, U.S.
✟7,855.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I am commenting in hope of giving you some helpful words. I believe that, under the Lord and His Son Jesus Christ, race, gender, and ethinicity do not have existance. We are all living under our One, Most Loving God, who cares for you and will support you in your trials and tribulations no matter if you are male or female, black or white, blind or deaf. In the Bible, Christ shows mercy and acceptance to all people that arrive at his doorstep. He heard each one of his visitors out, and blessed every one that came his way. So, I must say that I disagree with the silencing of anyone in church, for God and His Son never turn a blind eye or deaf ear to anyone. :) God bless, my brother!

Upvote 0

tangled

Oct 7, 2011
✟16,154.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
After Galatians 3:28, that Bible verse means that people should respect when someone is teaching the Truth in a congregational type setting by remaining silent and open to the Word. It's really inappropriate to speak or ask questions, interrupting others' learning in the process, due to ignorance. unless such a thing is expressly allowed, you could understand how the possible constant interruption would ruin the flow and possibly cause the lesson last longer than needed.

the verse goes on to say that a woman should ask their husband at home which, after Galatians 3:28, could mean asking anyone that knows the answer. an authority.

lets face it. a lot of people have equal access to information and the Bible nowadays. there's bound to be women who know more than men (and vice versa)...not to mention different age groups.

and not everyone has a spouse.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
In 1 Tim Paul refers to women who usurp authority. That's reasonable and refers to issues in the church at Ephesus at that time with some women. Such women were not to teach. The word 'silent' is not used that often in the NT and is sometimes translated as quietness.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

homeofmew

Master Trainer
Site Supporter
May 29, 2005
Houston, Texas
Visit site
✟28,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Males are supposed to be the head of the household in the bible it shows male dominance the entire way through. but this has been the culture in many societies.

I do not see how being a women preacher is wrong personally.
Men are supposed to love Women like how Christ Love the Church
and Women should respect their male counterparts.
This does not speak of dominance but how you feel toward each other.
Since men like having respect and women are more feeling type people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bella Vita

Sailor in the U.S.N
May 18, 2011
✟10,239.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Men and women are equal in the eyes of God as we are both image barers of God. We are equal to God as creation but have different roles in life. Women are not below men but when it comes to teaching in church the bible is very clear that women should not teach men. But this does not mean women can not teach children or other women.

I found this article you might like to read about why women should not be leaders or pastors in the church.
Should Women Be Pastors and Elders? | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

This is what my ESV study notes said about the verse...

1 Tim. 2:12 I do not permit. Paul self-consciously writes with the authority of an apostle (e.g., 1 Thess. 4:1; 2 Thess. 3:6), rather than simply offering an opinion. This statement is given in the context of Paul’s apostolic instructions to the church for the ordering of church practice when the church is assembled together. In that context, two things are prohibited: (1) Women are not permitted to publicly teach Scripture and/or Christian doctrine to men in church (the context implies these topics), and (2) women are not permitted to exercise authority over men in church. (The reference for both “teaching” and “exercise authority” here is within the context of the assembled church.) Women teaching other women, and women teaching children, are not in view here, and both are encouraged elsewhere (on women teaching women, cf. Titus 2:4; on women teaching children, cf. 2 Tim. 1:5). Nor does this passage have in view the role of women in leadership situations outside the church (e.g., business or government). The presence of the word or (Gk. oude) between “to teach” and “to exercise authority” indicates that two different activities are in view, not a single activity of “authoritative teaching.” “Exercise authority” represents Greek authenteō, found only here in the NT. Over 80 examples of this word exist outside the NT, however, clearly establishing that the meaning is “exercise authority” (not “usurp authority” or “abuse authority,” etc., as sometimes has been argued). Since the role of pastor/elder/overseer is rooted in the task of teaching and exercising authority over the church, this verse would also exclude women from serving in this office (cf. 1 Tim. 3:2). Thus when Paul calls for the women to be quiet, he means “quiet” with respect to the teaching responsibility that is limited in the assembled church. Paul elsewhere indicates that women do speak in other ways in the church assembly

Reactions: Isreal
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I believe you're talking about 1 Cor 14:34. Note also 1 Cor 11:4. It's pretty clear that Paul assumed that women would speak at least in some context.

Look at the whole section of 1 Cor 14:34-35. I looks like he is talking about a woman asking questions, maybe even of their husbands (who in ancient services would be sitting on the other side of the aisle).

I claim that it's better translated "talk." Consider a modern equivalent: I say "children shouldn't talk in church. They should save their questions for home" Would you assume that I was prohibiting asking a child to read scripture or having a Sunday School class make a presentation? Probably not. You'd assume I was concerned about kids talking to their parents and disrupting the service.

Paul does see some difference in role between men and women. Women should wear hair covering as a symbol. (I don't think anyone understands his explanation of what it's a symbol of.) And the husband is the head of a marriage. Note however that head didn't have the modern meaning of boss, but was based on the metaphor of a body with different parts having different roles. He was thinking more of service than power. At other times he taught that husband and wife should submit to each other. He did acknowledge women as colleagues in ministry, and I think as having at least some leadership. Exactly what leadership roles is open for discussion.

Of course there are also questions of whether we necessarily use the same arrangements that Paul did. In his culture it was understood that men were normally the leaders. In ours it is not. So things that would be scandalous in his culture are not in ours, and visa versa.

--------------

Bella Vita brought up one of the other passages commonly cited in this context. I have some concern about whether 1 Tim is actually a genuine letter. But let's assume that it is. You are probably aware that the same Greek word is used for husband and man, wife and woman. The choice can change the passage.

I would argue that 1 Tim 2:12 prohibits a wife being put into a position in church where she would have authority over her husband. This is consistent with Paul's position in the undisputed letters, while saying women should have no authority over men is not. It also makes better sense of 2:13. I claim that Paul (or "Paul") sees Adam as having sinned by failing to do his job as husband. Eve was deceived. Adam was not, but still went along with his wife. The point is not that women are weaker and in more danger of deception. After all, Eve was deceived by the 2nd highest being in the universe, and plenty of men have been deceived by him as well. No, the problem is that Adam, not being deceived, still followed his wife. Note by the way the change from plural in 2:9, which is a general statement about women, and singular in 2:11 which I believe is speaking of husband and wife.

The same issue exists in 3:11, which gives the qualifications of female deacons, but is sometimes translated as referring to wives of deacons. I see no reason to interpret it as referring to wives. After all, nothing is said about wives of elders. Paul referred to a woman as deacon, and we know the ancient church had deaconesses (even though some now argue that it wasn't the same office as deacon). However we don't know of ancient female priests. So I'd say the church for which this letter was intended most likely had female deacons but not female elders.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Look at how Apollos was mentored and corrected by a woman here:
Acts 18:26

And he (Apollos) began to speak out boldly in the synagogue. But when Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they took him aside and explained to him the way of God more accurately.

Romans 16:3

Greet Prisca and Aquila, my fellow workers in Christ Jesus

Women as Church Workers

Dorcas

"She seems to have had some means and also to have been a leader in the Christian community. Dorcas was beloved for the manner in which she used her position and means, for she "was full of good works, and almsdeeds which she did." Among her charities was the clothing of the poor with garments she herself made (Acts 9:39)"

-International Study Encyclopedia
Dorcas - International Standard Bible Encyclopedia - Encyclopedias - StudyLight.org

Distinctions of Women

Ministry of Women

Last edited:
Reactions: tangled
Upvote 0

Jupiter Drops

be like a flower and turn your face to the sun
Jan 20, 2012
✟21,341.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Men are not above women. Likewise, women are not above men.

God created men and women as equals. But they both lack qualities that complete and compliment each other. Physically, men are stronger. Women develop maturely earlier than men. So on, so forth.

Unfortunately, some people misinterpret and abuse the Holy Spirit's will and decide that women should be kept down as lowly, trashy servants to men.

Women should be helpers to men as men should be helpers to women. They should help each other and be united as one in Christ.

As for the women preaching in church thing, I'm really not sure, but I would say 'No'. It's one of those controversial things. I used to say that women can preach and become pastors, elders, ministers, etc., but not anymore. Are they really following God's desires, or are they being selfish and saying, "No I'm making a statement! I'm going to show you people that women can preach and you guys are you being chauvinistic!!" As for men, it's the same. Don't look down upon women. They have their own roles to fulfill within Christ, as you do.

There are so much more that women can do in the ministry. And there are so many women throughout this world who do great things in Christ, as just as much as men do. Everyone has their roles; men can't do roles that women could and women can't do roles that men could, and women and men compliment and complete each others' harmony this way.

There can be times, however, when God brings women to do things for Him in greatness. But we shouldn't measure what is 'great' in our eyes. Sometimes, what seems to be great in our eyes can mean so little to God, and vice versa.

(I am a woman, by the way).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tangled

Oct 7, 2011
✟16,154.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Matthew 19:16-19
Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”
17 “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”

18 “Which ones?” he inquired.

Jesus replied, “‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, 19 honor your father and mother,’[c] and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’[d]”

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,460.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Paul states in this scripture that it's his thoughts that women shouldn't teach = Apostle Paul isn't Yahweh.

1Ti 2:12"But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence."

Women overwhelmed and confused Paul such as 1Co 7:30 “And they that weep, as though they wept not; and they that rejoice, as though they rejoiced not; and they that buy, as though they possessed not;” I laugh everytime I read this Scripture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Incariol

Apr 22, 2011
✟7,523.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
NightFire201 said:
Why does the Bible say this? Does it still apply today?

My dad went on this long rant earlier about how men are above women and that women should not be preachers.

Just because women aren't clergy doesn't mean men are "above" them...

Reactions: tangled
Upvote 0