Why Christian women act like it’s a Biblical commandment for a man to pursue them ?

QuestionQuest74

Oct 12, 2023
Fort Lauderdale
✟23,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have heard so many Christian women say this throughout my twenties as a Christian man I thinking it was Biblical command almost for years. Until recently I decided to do some research myself. Why is this saying still getting spreaded like wildfire?

Reactions: 65James

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
QLD
✟71,408.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There's nothing wrong with valuing a woman and thus pursuing her if you think she could be a great wife. But it needs to be reciprocal - without that the marriage wouldn't work anyway. So it's OK if the woman/wife wants to be treated like a queen, but only if she also treats her man/husband like a king.

Upvote 0

Clarissa_

Mar 8, 2024
South Carolina
✟11,558.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have heard so many Christian women say this throughout my twenties as a Christian man I thinking it was Biblical command almost for years. Until recently I decided to do some research myself. Why is this saying still getting spreaded like wildfire?
I'm not sure I understand what you're referring to. Which biblical commandment are you referring to exactly?

• Agree
Reactions: Lukaris
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I think it's just an assumption and expectation of most women, etc, but that many women don't seem to realize doesn't apply to all men always in every situation and circumstance always, etc.

But that with most men is true almost always or a lot, etc.

Which is probably why many of them almost always assume or expect it, etc.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

QuestionQuest74

Oct 12, 2023
Fort Lauderdale
✟23,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There's nothing wrong with valuing a woman and thus pursuing her if you think she could be a great wife. But it needs to be reciprocal - without that the marriage wouldn't work anyway. So it's OK if the woman/wife wants to be treated like a queen, but only if she also treats her man/husband like a king.
Most of the time it’s loopsided with men doing the most

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have been told that you have to show a woman that you are interested, for a while, so she knows you are ready to make a commitment.

But I have enjoyed being told how successful couples came together. God did it . . . "no rules . . . just right".

In my case, for years I fell for maybe thirty women, and they were smart enough not to marry me. But then I grew up some and I would make it clear I was after friendship, and even so I had a couple women begging me to marry them!

Then I grew in love, instead of falling, enough to connect with my lady friend.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't believe in pursuing men. Which means I don't make the first move, ask if he's interested, initiate the first date, approach him in a public setting, or attempt to figure out if he's desirous of friendship or more. I don't do his part and allow him to proceed as he decides.

I prefer initiatory leadership. People who are comfortable stating their desires and taking action. I don't like guessing games or endless cycles of what does he mean/think/feel. I think it's unhealthy and communication is an integral part of my connections (male and female).

Some people enjoy figuring people out and reading between the lines. That's to be expected in some scenarios. But I don't value it in close relationships. It feels like work and not the pleasant sort. But the kind that's forced and a little manipulative. It doesn't sit well with me.

If there's an attraction and he doesn't admit it I won't assume or guess. I give attention to the one who does and offer the same. The old fashioned term is straight shooters. I respect that style of relating more than others.

~bella

Upvote 0

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
QLD
✟71,408.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Most of the time it’s lopsided with men doing the most
That may be true for some couples and would be unhealthy indeed ... a wife should be loved and cared for; which includes self-sacrificial actions of the husband for the well-being of his wife, but she should not be put on a pedestal. That's why I'm not fan of the typical Western-style marriage proposal where the man kneels/begs the woman to marry him. It has a hint of role-reversal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

QuestionQuest74

Oct 12, 2023
Fort Lauderdale
✟23,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That may be true for some couples and would be unhealthy indeed ... a wife should be loved and cared for; which includes self-sacrificial actions of the husband for the well-being of his wife, but she should not be put on a pedestal.

That's why I'm not fan of the typical Western-style marriage proposal where the man kneels/begs the woman to marry him. It has a hint of role-reversal.
I never knew that Americans started that trend. So what was they doing before?

Upvote 0

QuestionQuest74

Oct 12, 2023
Fort Lauderdale
✟23,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That may be true for some couples and would be unhealthy indeed ... a wife should be loved and cared for; which includes self-sacrificial actions of the husband for the well-being of his wife, but she should not be put on a pedestal. That's why I'm not fan of the typical Western-style marriage proposal where the man kneels/begs the woman to marry him. It has a hint of role-reversal.
Should the wife do self-sacrificial actions for the man

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,344.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If it all looks confusing, wrong, risky, useless, demanding, tiring or complicated to you, do not pursue it and stay single. And the problem is solved.

Sometimes, the best strategy to win is to not play at all. And, because of social dynamics, its quite possible that when more and more people will leave the game, the game rules will change.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
QLD
✟71,408.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Should the wife do self-sacrificial actions for the man
I can't recall a direct Biblical verse that states that (but please correct me / fill me in on that :) ), but considering the deeper meaning of 'love' - that is seeking the well-being of the other despite a price to be paid / sacrifice to be made - it follows that a wife who truly loves her husband also would seek his well-being even when that requires her going out of her comfort zone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
QLD
✟71,408.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Americans didn't start the trend. Here's an article that provides some insight.

~bella
That article is really good and enlightening in this matter. E.g. these quotes:

.. The entire principle of this popular attitude was that the man was a kind of servant to the woman, whom he idealized beyond all reality; and he performed his servitude by kneeling, spiritually and figuratively. ..​

.. But kneeling in general in European history has been a sign of supplication, humility, and servitude. ..​
show quite sharply why the kneeling for a marriage proposal by the man is wrong given the Biblical perspectives. The husband leads / directs / loves and serves his wife, but he is not her servant. The husband is the lord/master of his wife, not the other way around.

Jesus sacrificed himself for the sake of us believers, was obedient to His father, came to serve, but Jesus is not my servant - He is my Master/Lord/King to whom I have to submit myself. The same dynamics apply to a husband and his wife according to both Paul and Peter.

These metaphors and imagery usually in the Western (Christian) context immediately invoke some knee-jerk reaction to emphasize the husband shouldn't abuse his position to exert tyrannical authority (which of course is true - loving leadership shouldn't and can't be selfish or ruthless). Yet the very principle of headship/leadership/lordship in love is the main point of both Paul and Peter.

A man taking the initiative for a marriage proposal would be perfectly fine and even ideal, but the other way around may also occur - e.g. see the exceptional story of Ruth and Boaz where she takes the initiative with the intention to seduce Boaz and thus for him to subsequently marry her. Luckily her plan fails but Boaz then in turn takes the initiative to marry her based on her 'expression of interest'.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
That article is really good and enlightening in this matter. E.g. these quotes:

.. The entire principle of this popular attitude was that the man was a kind of servant to the woman, whom he idealized beyond all reality; and he performed his servitude by kneeling, spiritually and figuratively. ..​

.. But kneeling in general in European history has been a sign of supplication, humility, and servitude. ..​

I see you neglected to include the Christian references which I anticipated. That's why I didn't post it a few days ago. It's possible to read the piece from two perspectives depending on your position.

A man taking the initiative for a marriage proposal would be perfectly fine and even ideal, but the other way around may also occur - e.g. see the exceptional story of Ruth and Boaz where she takes the initiative with the intention to seduce Boaz and thus for him to subsequently marry her. Luckily her plan fails but Boaz then in turn takes the initiative to marry her based on her 'expression of interest'.

Ruth wasn't attempting to seduce Boaz. Her presence was considered improper. Much like you see in western customs. Couples found in a similar state would be expected to marry lest the woman's name be compromised. Men have never borne the same scrutiny as women in that respect. Judah and Tamar are a good example.

You see the same in classic literature as demonstrated in Pride and Prejudice. Wickham and Lydia runaway and he's forced to marry her to avert the scandal of impropriety and ruination of the family. The accusation jeopardized her prospects and her sister's. They expected women to be virgins.

In respect to biblical headship and submission, the positions are divinely forged but the realization within the pair is contingent on their obedience to God. The measure of the love we have for others is in direct proportion to the love we have for Him. He's the sanctifying influence.

To the OP,

When I desired to understand the Lord's perspective on marriage and courtship and how it should unfold I began with the bible and read a lot of material on relationships, marriage, men and women, communication and so on. I started with the main subject and worked my way through resources that addressed challenges, solutions and personal growth.

I didn't contemplate dating or marital woes. I determined if marriage was the Lord's will and began my preparations much like Esther. That doesn't begin with the nuptials. It starts within. That's how you attract a man/woman after the Lord's own heart and avoid the pitfalls.

The most important quality in marriage is the one that receives little discussion and that's prayer of course. That's how you learn to lead, yield, forgive, turn the other cheek and consider the other above yourself. The Holy Spirit is The Refining Fire and prayer is one of His mediums. It makes us vulnerable and places a mirror before us that reveals who we are. That's when we see the ugliness, hypocrisy, judgment and so on.

The more you pray the less you look to others. Your questions begin with the Father and you learn how to wait and discern His response as the day unfolds. He's always talking and we don't realize it because we're distracted. Learning to hear from God is a necessary tool for spiritual growth and relational harmony. With continued practice we develop wisdom and others turn to us.

When we place our attention where it belongs the rest falls in place. We don't worry if we'll marry or concern ourselves with gender wars. We're not disturbed by societal changes or what's happening in the church. Experience has shown us otherwise. He's greater than that. Far above our circumstances. There's no reason to fret.

The question we should consider is whether our trust in God is greater than our fear. If we trust Him, truly trust Him, we know He's got us. We don't think, feel, believe or hope. We know He's in our corner and rest is settled.

~bella

Upvote 0

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
QLD
✟71,408.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
---
Ruth wasn't attempting to seduce Boaz. Her presence was considered improper. Much like you see in western customs. Couples found in a similar state would be expected to marry lest the woman's name be compromised. Men have never borne the same scrutiny as women in that respect. Judah and Tamar are a good example.
---
The most important quality in marriage is the one that receives little discussion and that's prayer of course. That's how you learn to lead, yield, forgive, turn the other cheek and consider the other above yourself. The Holy Spirit is The Refining Fire and prayer is one of His mediums. It makes us vulnerable and places a mirror before us that reveals who we are. That's when we see the ugliness, hypocrisy, judgment and so on.

The more you pray the less you look to others. Your questions begin with the Father and you learn how to wait and discern His response as the day unfolds. He's always talking and we don't realize it because we're distracted. Learning to hear from God is a necessary tool for spiritual growth and relational harmony. With continued practice we develop wisdom and others turn to us.
---
~bella
I really like your post, especially the prayer bit .. I just disagree on the actual intentions of Naomi and Ruth, but that's something for another day :) !

• Friendly
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0