Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Assuming that in fact Biden and/or Trump win their respective primaries do you believe either the RNC or the DNC will select someone else to run instead as they are the ones that actually choose the person that ends up the ballot? If you believe that either convention will do so what do you think will be the reaction of the public at large?

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What are the actual rules that connect primary elections to selection of the candidate at the convention? I recall some flexibility with "superdelegates" or something.
I am not sure, but from what I gather it is sort of like the EC where the convention gets together to officially decide who will represent their party on the ballot. Usually they select whomever won the primary in their state, but they are not bound to that and may choose another person (sort of like faithless electors in the EC, but I admit I am not completely sure how it works.

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This. The most likely scenario is Biden will bow out after the primaries, either leaving his delegates up for grabs or committing them to another candidate.

I could see that happening if Trump is not the Republican nominee.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
so if Trump is the nominee that will not happen? Do you know which party has their convention first?

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
What are the actual rules that connect primary elections to selection of the candidate at the convention? I recall some flexibility with "superdelegates" or something.
My understanding is that delegates to the National Convention are bound to the person who had won their state’s primary for the very first ballot; after that they are free to choose (who “chooses” for them?, I dunno, but there’s a hierarchy within each state’s delegation and politicking can happen).

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Assuming that in fact Biden and/or Trump win their respective primaries do you believe either the RNC or the DNC will select someone else to run instead as they are the ones that actually choose the person that ends up the ballot? If you believe that either convention will do so what do you think will be the reaction of the public at large?

Short answer: NO.

Long answer: The RNC might, but only if there is a massive internal fight that rips the party in two after Trump is convicted in DC. (I'm not assuming he will be convicted before the convention, only that if he is it *might* trigger a reckoning in the party, how ever slight that possibility is.)

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Delegates are bound to vote for the one they were sent to vote for, at least on the first ballot. After that they can vote for who they really want. It is likely that both Biden and Trump will have enough bound delegates that there will be no need for a second ballot. So unless either Biden or Trump actually drop out they will most likely have locks on their nominations. Because in primary states people will vote for those two characters

Of course you are not forced to vote for either of them. If you do vote for one of them that would be your free choice and ignoring your other options.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Biden's poll numbers aren't that great compared to Trump's. If Biden and Trump wins the nomination, that makes him bowing out more likely. Also, the man doesn't appear to be in the best of health The question is really why is Biden running again.

One possibility is to shut out Harris. Biden bows out and his delegates goes to someone else. In this situation, pay close attention to any challengers in the primaries.

The other possibility is the opposite: Biden bows out and throws his delegates to Harris, knowing she didn't do well in the last primaries and likely wouldn't win it this time.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Biden's poll numbers aren't that great compared to Trump's. If Biden and Trump wins the nomination, that makes him bowing out more likely. Also, the man doesn't appear to be in the best of health The question is really why is Biden running again.

One possibility is to shut out Harris. Biden bows out and his delegates goes to someone else. In this situation, pay close attention to any challengers in the primaries.

The other possibility is the opposite: Biden bows out and throws his delegates to Harris, knowing she didn't do well in the last primaries and likely wouldn't win it this time.
Or....Biden wins reelection.

We know why Trump is running and we know why Biden is running. Trump is trying to win to stop the indictments, and Biden is running to keep Trump from winning.

Biden would never bow out to Trump unless there is a physical issue.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Why should either turn on their selected candidates? They won't. The people selected them and they expect that person to run.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We know why Trump is running and we know why Biden is running. Trump is trying to win to stop the indictments, and Biden is running to keep Trump from winning.
I thought Trump is running again because of ego. If Biden was running again to stop Trump, his poll numbers don't agree with his assessment.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I thought Trump is running again because of ego. If Biden was running again to stop Trump, his poll numbers don't agree with his assessment.
Poll numbers mean little. Economy is doing good for Biden and Trump's court cases are going bad for him.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why should either turn on their selected candidates? They won't. The people selected them and they expect that person to run.
That's why I think it would happen if Biden decides to withdraw after the primaries. I think it would be more likely to happen with Trump. That said, if those who vote GOP get the idea that Trump is shut out after winning the primaries, then they might conclude it's not worth it and stay home.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,669.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Poll numbers mean little. Economy is doing good for Biden and Trump's court cases are going bad for him.
Trump said, in public on video no less, that he hopes the US economy collapses so that he would have the advantage.

Funny thing is, that's what happened last time - he got in on a rising economy and crashed it in the fourth year.

• Agree
Reactions: JustOneWay
Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
That's why I think it would happen if Biden decides to withdraw after the primaries. I think it would be more likely to happen with Trump. That said, if those who vote GOP get the idea that Trump is shut out after winning the primaries, then they might conclude it's not worth it and stay home.
Imagine how the entire republican party would turn on itself if the RNC chooses somebody other than Trump after he won the primary. It won't happen, IMO.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trump thought poll numbers mean little, too. Ask him what happened.

As to the economy, whenever I hear it's "doing good," I remember the scene in 1984 where Big Brother cut the chocolate ration, and his supporters had a rally thanking him for increasing it.

Upvote 0