Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hear you. That makes sense. I just don't know how to reattach the bond. I again have no idea how to gauge and steer our relationship to closer not further apart. We are having a great time so far in vegas, but eventually life will go back to normal. We still have spaces of silence where we don't say anything to each other. We are just walking together. Saying little things here and there. Other times we are very talkative and no prob. Idk I'm confused on what's normal and OK.

I am not sure what she is looking for or how she perceives it, but it is normal not to talk every second, and have silences. If, as you say, you are having other times you are talking and enjoying it, then try not to stress it.

I'm confused on how much time it'll take to rebuild everything. We are sleeping apart, not having sex and not kissing, (although at the rate of enjoyment of today, tomorrow we will get there as she's fully opened up finally)

This is obviously an area of focus and worry for you. Has she said anything about her feelings on the matter?

she doesn't miss me in bed with her, and I can't get it outta my head that she's not attracted to me.

Did she say that or you are surmising?

(and I'm pretty handsome guy, I'm not insecure whatsoever about my looks I know I'm not unattractive, so I wonder if it's a perception she has based on how I treat her. Maybe I'm too nice or something. Anyway)

I doubt that treating her poorly would work. Yes I am aware of some women who inexplicably chase bad boys while claiming to want good guys. You are overthinking it. You don't want to change yourself, or do something that would spiritually harm you in order to impress her even if that would work. Be kind to her. And don't be anything other than what you are. She is supposed to be getting to know you again, not changing you to be what she wants you to be. Any changes would likely be artificial anyway, and short-lived.

The issue before was that you were not spending much time together. Well, you are now. But the idea that nothing you did before will work now, that she expressed earlier is just not true. I am sure there are things she appreciated in the past that you did. If there is some activity etc. that she wants to do, then do so, especially on vacation. But you can't change everything just to impress her, and it is not your job to do so.

we started sleeping apart last Thursday so hasn't even been a week. I might be expecting a lot in a short time frame. Nonetheless, I'm not projecting this on her because I'm just focusing on our bond and connection and patience.

If you haven't already I would let her know how you feel, and see what she says. I wouldn't do it with the goal of trying to change it. I would do it more with the goal of trying to see what this is supposed to be accomplishing, to let her know that you do miss being with her in that way, and to find out what she is feeling about it. You referenced a possible discussion on it above, but wasn't sure if that was a discussion or just your take-away without discussion.

Also, it is true many couples may not sleep in the same room due to physical issues, or snoring, etc. However, absent those things, and if you always did before, I am not sure I would put that as a long-term plan unless there is some equally valid rationale.

Upvote 0

Scott Grissom

Sep 24, 2017
Riverside
✟21,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not sure what she is looking for or how she perceives it, but it is normal not to talk every second, and have silences. If, as you say, you are having other times you are talking and enjoying it, then try not to stress it.

This is obviously an area of focus and worry for you. Has she said anything about her feelings on the matter?

Did she say that or you are surmising?

I doubt that treating her poorly would work. Yes I am aware of some women who inexplicably chase bad boys while claiming to want good guys. You are overthinking it. You don't want to change yourself, or do something that would spiritually harm you in order to impress her even if that would work. Be kind to her. And don't be anything other than what you are. She is supposed to be getting to know you again, not changing you to be what she wants you to be. Any changes would likely be artificial anyway, and short-lived.

Spend more time together. If there is some activity etc. that she wants to do, then do so, especially on vacation. But you can't change everything just to impress her, and it is not your job to do so.

You are certainly fixated on this. If you haven't already I would let her know how you feel, and see what she says. I wouldn't do it with the goal of trying to change it. I would do it more with the goal of trying to see what this is supposed to be accomplishing, to let her know that you do miss being with her in that way, and to find out what she is feeling about it. You referenced a possible discussion on it above, but wasn't sure if that was a discussion or just your take-away without discussion.

Also, it is true many couples may not sleep in the same room due to physical issues, or snoring, etc. However, absent those things, and if you always did before, I am not sure I would put that as a long-term plan unless there is some equally valid rationale.

You’re right about not needing to talk every second. That my own overthought. She didn’t say she didn’t miss me, I asked her if shes tired of sleeping in bed alone and she said no. She did say she wasn’t sexually attracted to me a week or so prior to now.

I won’t change myself but I will act less hyper focused on her and more focused on me being me. I think in this entire situation I’ve become somewhat infatuated with keeping and making her happy/satisfied.

I think it comes down to the fact that she has all the power and it’s obvious and that’s not attractive or comfortable for me. She decides that we don’t sleep together and when we will again, she decides that we don’t have sex or kiss, she decides if I’m meeting her needs enough for her to stay, she has the power in the relationship right now and I absolutely hate that and don’t know how to change that.

Does she talk down or be rude? Definitely not. Does she flex her power or act generally disrespectful to me? Nope. But the reality is she is controlling what happens next, when and if and I do not like that. What are your thoughts?

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You’re right about not needing to talk every second. That my own overthought. She didn’t say she didn’t miss me, I asked her if shes tired of sleeping in bed alone and she said no. She did say she wasn’t sexually attracted to me a week or so prior to now.

Well that is lousy to have to hear about yourself. But as you said above, the issue is not an objective issue of you being unattractive. She had likely switched her focus that direction to thoughts of the other guy. It takes time to re-orient. Assuming you keep talking, etc. that can change.

I won’t change myself but I will act less hyper focused on her and more focused on me being me. I think in this entire situation I’ve become somewhat infatuated with keeping and making her happy/satisfied.

Yes, to the degree you can try to remember when you were dating the first time. You were just spending time and getting to know each other.

I think it comes down to the fact that she has all the power and it’s obvious and that’s not attractive or comfortable for me. She decides that we don’t sleep together and when we will again, she decides that we don’t have sex or kiss, she decides if I’m meeting her needs enough for her to stay, she has the power in the relationship right now and I absolutely hate that and don’t know how to change that.

Does she talk down or be rude? Definitely not. Does she flex her power or act generally disrespectful to me? Nope. But the reality is she is controlling what happens next, when and if and I do not like that. What are your thoughts?

If she is setting all the parameters rather than you both discussing the best way to rebuild things, then yes, I can see how you would feel that way. She does ultimately decide if she stays. But it is not truly based on whether you win her over, you do everything to meet her needs etc. It is based on whether she values her commitment to Christ, to you, to her child, and walks in the Spirit, not in the flesh.
And while she decides if she stays, you still have a role in setting expectations and boundaries.

It is her thinking that is mixed up right now, because she claims to want to be with you, but at the same time admitted she was tempted to want to talk to him. Being of two minds is not a pleasant experience. Being in the moment of decision is not a pleasant experience. And sometimes it is not being in two minds at the same time, but switching back and forth depending on the circumstances.

Talk about all of this. Talk about your feelings about the situation. Talk about how you feel she is calling all of the shots, and that this needs to be a relationship built around cooperation if it is going to work. Yes, she could leave. But if you base all your actions on keeping her from leaving then you are not building a relationship of mutual love and cooperation.

At some point you are going to have to be straight-forward about how you are feeling on this point. You are willing to put time into the relationship, but you are not going to walk on egg shells and constantly be in fear that you might slight her so she leaves.

I would also discuss that it takes two people in a marriage to neglect time together. She had the option to handle that in a more constructive way, to ask you to spend more time together, to plan things. She also had a responsibility to avoid sinful relationships. She didn't do that. You are not the only one that needs to change. And so she shouldn't be the one who directs the change. If anything she has more to change because she not only participated in you both drifting apart,but she was building up resentment sexually and emotionally for some time and said nothing. She chose to go outside the relationship.

If all of the focus is on blaming you for the distance, and what you must do to win her back, that is completely failing to accept her role in her sinful choices, and her role in the relationship.

And you have to actually tell her that. You won't have boundaries if you don't discuss them. And she may need help to see things as they really are. And things as they really are is that she played a role in all of the distance, all of the broken relationship, and an even bigger role because she responded to it in a sinful way. And I would phrase it just that way--sinful. It is sin, and she needs to understand that if she is to truly repent and turn back to living for Christ.

On that note, you have told us some about your relationship before. What was your spiritual life like before? To the degree you know, what was hers like before?

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think in this entire situation I’ve become somewhat infatuated with keeping and making her happy/satisfied.
And keep in mind, this other guy didn't have to be superman to her while holding down the home front, being a dad and going to work. He wasn't the perfect man. He didn't have to do everything she wants you to do. He talked hot to her on phone texts and she was turned on. She formed a fantasy in her head that he WOULD do all the things she wants you to do. But reality is not constant thrill, constant romance.

He had to do none of the work that she wants you to do, and hasn't done one millionth of the practical and emotional things you have done for her over the length of your marriage. Yet she wanted him. Not because he is great, but because he was someone other than you, and she had built up resentment, and not told you. So she chose a lustful outlet instead of working on the relationship.

Making you into what she thinks is her perfect man won't solve her resentment or lustful thinking. She needs to figure out why she chose not to work on building your relationship into something better. She needs to figure out why, when she realized that the marriage was not going like she thought, she chose to feed the resentment instead of trying to fix it. And if she can figure that out then it will be apparent that she needs to fix more than you.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: sdmsanjose
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have a 1 year old daughter and I just don't want her to have a split family life. I really don't.

What has parenting been like for both of you so far? How involved are both of you?

Upvote 0

Scott Grissom

Sep 24, 2017
Riverside
✟21,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And keep in mind, this other guy didn't have to be superman to her while holding down the home front, being a dad and going to work. He wasn't the perfect man. He didn't have to do everything she wants you to do. He talked hot to her on phone texts and she was turned on. She formed a fantasy in her head that he WOULD do all the things she wants you to do. But reality is not constant thrill, constant romance.

He had to do none of the work that she wants you to do, and hasn't done one millionth of the practical and emotional things you have done for her over the length of your marriage. Yet she wanted him. Not because he is great, but because he was someone other than you, and she had built up resentment, and not told you. So she chose a lustful outlet instead of working on the relationship.

Making you into what she thinks is her perfect man won't solve her resentment or lustful thinking. She needs to figure out why she chose not to work on building your relationship into something better. She needs to figure out why, when she realized that the marriage was not going like she thought, she chose to feed the resentment instead of trying to fix it. And if she can figure that out then it will be apparent that she needs to fix more than you.

This is so true. And they only talked for a couple weeks. They used to be close friends years ago.

Upvote 0

Scott Grissom

Sep 24, 2017
Riverside
✟21,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What has parenting been like for both of you so far? How involved are both of you?

We are great parents. We are really good with our girl, it was one of the things we told each other we love about one another. It’s something I’m proud of and I’m glad our baby girl hasn’t become a pawn for retaliation or resentment.

Upvote 0

Scott Grissom

Sep 24, 2017
Riverside
✟21,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I’m so glad you said this and pointed this out. I hadn’t looked at it this way but it is 100% true. I’ll wait until after this vacation, but we will need to discuss this because I don’t think she feels responsible for where we are. We have spent more time talking about her needs that weren’t met than the poor communication and lack of action on her part regarding the circumstance. I do wish she did something, like plan a trip if you feel like we don’t do enough, send me a link on sex stuff if you feel I should brush up, tell me directly how you feel and not when you want to walk out. Call a sex therapist or whatever I just don’t feel like she DID enough. Just talked in code, held things in, and hoped things would change automatically.

I’m not perfect. But I’m pretty good, I can be romantic and all of that because I used to be when we dated. I just need to be that man again. I mean my wife works because she wants to, and if she wanted to stay home and not work I wouldn’t mind and it wouldn’t hurt us financially. She was a stay home Mom the entire time she was pregnant, and from day 1 I’ve always been around because I’m in outside sales so I make my own schedule and often work from home. I’ve always been very involved with her and our daughter and dr appts etc.

I’ve done a great job providing and creating financial security. My wife has no idea how to live on her own as she never has, and I’ve always taken care of life’s “things” from the finances, bills, insurances, savings, debt, etc. we just bought two new cars last month because my car was falling apart and we wanted a new SUV so we got a grand Cherokee cuz she loved that one the most.

I’ve focused on providing this kind of security more than other things, my career in technology is booming and I love it but now I know those things aren’t the most important things, but the emotional connection and spiritual leadership is. So I’ve balanced myself, I was like a lobster with one huge claw. But course corrected now that I know. But it still takes two. And maybe I made our marriage too comfortable and didn’t require enough from her, giving her a false idea of marriage and commitment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Scott, I dropped in to recommend a book to you, but after reading what you wrote above, I'm concerned for you (thinking of the warnings and commands in 1 Corinthians 7, particularly the opening verses), both of you actually, and I'm wondering if you've had the chance to talk to your pastor yet? I think getting godly counsel at this point is perhaps the most important thing you can do (alone, if necessary), certainly more important than reading a book would be.

It's been more than a week since you last posted in this thread, so hopefully things have begun to change for the better :)

In Christ,
David

1 Corinthians 7
2 Because of immoralities, each man is to have his own wife, and each woman is to have her own husband.
3 The husband must fulfill his duty to his wife, and likewise also the wife to her husband.
4 The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does; and likewise also the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does.
5 Stop depriving one another, except by agreement for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer, and come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

Upvote 0

Scott Grissom

Sep 24, 2017
Riverside
✟21,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Scott, I dropped in to recommend a book to you, but after reading what you wrote above, I'm concerned for you (thinking of the warnings and commands in 1 Corinthians 7, particularly the opening verses), both of you actually, and I'm wondering if you've had the chance to talk to your pastor yet? I think getting godly counsel at this point is perhaps the most important thing you can do (alone, if necessary), certainly more important than reading a book would be.

It's been more than a week since you last posted in this thread, so hopefully things have begun to change for the better :)

In Christ,
David

1 Corinthians 7
2 Because of immoralities, each man is to have his own wife, and each woman is to have her own husband.
3 The husband must fulfill his duty to his wife, and likewise also the wife to her husband.
4 The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does; and likewise also the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does.
5 Stop depriving one another, except by agreement for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer, and come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

Hey!

So, much has happened. The jist is we spent a weekend just us in Vegas and had an overall great time. I met some people on here that messaged me 1:1 and talked with me on the phone and prayed over me and gave great Godly advice.

This got rough last Friday when my wife asked for a separation after I found out her and this guy had a 45 min conversation at 2am. I was broken but in prayer steadily. Sunday we went to church, she came home so chipper I thought an angel touched her. She called off the separation and decided to stay citing that God spoke to her in church telling her to stay, and that pleading God was to be her #1 priority. She said God also spoke to her saying she needs to drop something in order for God to use her and take her where she wants her. She took this to mean she needs to seriously cut things off. (Which she hadn’t done before) so she did immediately.

That was Sunday. Monday she was a basket case, Wed was our first counseling with a Christian couples therapist. It went great and we’ve both already completed the homework. It’s thursday and she’s been in high spirits. We are sleeping in the same bed again, and although we are not 100%, she acknowledges she broke our trust and is leaning into my ideas and coming up with her own to rebuild it. She said it’s going to be baby steps for us to rebuild our trust and emotional intimacy, and although she says she’s unsure she wants to work on our marriage, her actions prove she does want to.

She told me she blames herself for where we are, and I told her what’s important is we put it all on the table, discuss, deal with, pray heavily and move forward tackling this together.

I told her she needs to block him on all social media to prevent the enemy from using him to get in touch with her, even if she’s genuinely trying to let that go.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like great news Scott, and that the Lord is at the center of that great news :) So just keep doing what you're doing, being patient with/praying for her, getting and applying godly marriage advice, and trusting/hoping in the Lord.

Praying for you both.

--David
p.s. - the book recommendation has a pretty provocative title, Marriage in the Nude. It's really not what it sounds like at first blush as it's concern is with Biblical marriage and how to be the best Christian husband to your wife (and before God, of course) that you can be. One of my close friends at church is a guy who is clearly and lovingly devoted to his wife of more than 30 years, and who thought he was getting the Biblical husband thing right .. until he read this book. Much to his surprise, he wasn't, and much to both his and his wife's delight, he's getting it right now. I don't think I've ever seen Becky (his wife) quite as excited about their marriage (and life) as I do now!

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All in all I continue to pray over her. With her. And I think things are moving in the right direction. Ever slow

Glad to hear things are improving now, and you finally had some questions answered. And it is great that you were able to pray with folks from here. It sounds like God keeps trying to reach her, and she keeps making turning point decisions, such as when she came back home, and now when she is totally breaking it off. Hopefully it is on the right course now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Scott Grissom

Sep 24, 2017
Riverside
✟21,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Glad to hear things are improving now, and you finally had some questions answered. And it is great that you were able to pray with folks from here. It sounds like God keeps trying to reach her, and she keeps making turning point decisions, such as when she came back home, and now when she is totally breaking it off. Hopefully it is on the right course now.

I hope as well. Something I love about my wife is she is genuine, when she is emotionally here, she’s here and she strives to be genuine and true to how she’s feeling and in her pursuit of figuring things out. I continue to pray with and for her and I believe God will see us through and rebuild our marriage.

Upvote 0

Scott Grissom

Sep 24, 2017
Riverside
✟21,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My wife has been at times spending more time with family and longer hours at work. I know she’s really at those places so that’s not the issue. We are talking more, and she’s leaning into trust building and the counseling, so I do believe she’s trying and she said “I’m going as fast as I can genuinely”. That meant a lot to know she’s trying to be present.

My question for you is why do you think she doesn’t ever want to be home? She said that. I don’t think it’s me because we talk and text more now. I’m actually pretty certain it’s not me she’s aVoiding. She said briefly after counseling she blames herself.

I’m trying to figure out 1. How to get her to open up and trust me to talk with me and 2. WhT about being home doesn’t she like. Maybe it makes her think too much or she feels guilty?

I’m beginning to think much of her sorrow is with herself and her own actions rather than me or our marriage.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
My question for you is why do you think she doesn’t ever want to be home?

Hi Scott, why not ask your wife that question directly (but tactfully, of course), during your next counseling session?

Yours and His,
David
p.s. - I will put in one more plug for seeing your pastor about this marriage crisis you two have found yourselves in. He is the Lord's undershepherd, your and your wife's undershepherd in the faith, and as such is the one who is meant to oversee all things spiritual in your lives (which certainly includes your marriage). There's nothing wrong with seeing a Christian counselor too, but he/she is not the one who is tasked by God with seeing to your spiritual needs. That job belongs to your pastor :preach:

• Agree
Reactions: tall73
Upvote 0