USA
✟482,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
And BTW the commandment was to rest not gather together to worship.
The commandment is Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy. Exodus 20:8

We rest from all of our works and labors so we can keep the Sabbath holy. One way of doing that is going to church Leviticus 23:3 i.e. holy convocation and the example of Jesus Luke 4:16 and the day of worship the Lord for eternity Isaiah 66:23. There is no scripture that says we can break the commandments of God including the Sabbath commandment.

The Sabbath day is the holy day of the Lord. Your argument is not with me. These are God's Words, and He commanded His children as His Testimony to keep holy the same day that is holy to Him. We do not sanctify ourselves, which is what one is trying to do when they follow what they want to do over God's commandments. Man cannot sanctify themselves only God can though His Word and through His Sabbath, John 17:17 and Ezekiel 20:12

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟482,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Did Jesus mention the 4th commandment? I’m not familiar with any verses where He mentioned keeping that one.
What is the definition of a commandment?

com·mand·ment
[kəˈman(d)mənt]
NOUN
  1. a divine rule, especially one of the Ten Commandments:
    "the Sabbath had to be kept as ordered in the Fourth Commandment"

What is louder words or actions?

Luke 4:16 So He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read. 17 And He was handed the book of the prophet Isaiah. And when He had opened the book, He found the place where it was written:

18 “The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me,
Because He has anointed Me
To preach the gospel to the poor;
He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted,
To proclaim liberty to the captives
And recovery of sight to the blind,
To set at liberty those who are oppressed;
19 To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord.”

20 Then He closed the book, and gave it back to the attendant and sat down. And the eyes of all who were in the synagogue were fixed on Him. 21 And He began to say to them, “Today this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.” 22 So all bore witness to Him, and marveled at the gracious words which proceeded out of His mouth. And they said, “Is this not Joseph’s son?”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟891,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The commandment Remember to keep the Sabbath day holy. Exodus 20:8

We rest from all of our works and labors so we can keep the Sabbath holy. One way of doing that is going to church Leviticus 23:3 i.e. holy convocation and the example of Jesus Luke 4:16 and the day of worship the Lord for eternity Isaiah 66:23. There is no scripture that says we can break the commandments of God including the Sabbath commandment.

The Sabbath day is the holy day of the Lord. Your argument is not with me. These are God's Words, and He commanded His children as His Testimony to keep holy the same day that is holy to Him. We do not sanctify ourselves, which is what one is trying to do when they follow what they want to do over God's commandments. Man cannot sanctify themselves only God can though His Word and through His Sabbath, John 17:17 and Ezekiel 20:12

Jesus didn’t go to the synagogue every Saturday to worship, He was in the wilderness for 40 days and 40 nights. So evidently if He kept all of God’s commandments and didn’t gather with others on Saturday then that’s not part of the commandment.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟891,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What is the definition of a commandment? You are really grasping at straws my friend.

com·mand·ment
[kəˈman(d)mənt]
NOUN
  1. a divine rule, especially one of the Ten Commandments:
    "the Sabbath had to be kept as ordered in the Fourth Commandment"

What is louder words or actions?

Luke 4:16 So He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read. 17 And He was handed the book of the prophet Isaiah. And when He had opened the book, He found the place where it was written:

18 “The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me,
Because He has anointed Me
To preach the gospel to the poor;
He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted,
To proclaim liberty to the captives
And recovery of sight to the blind,
To set at liberty those who are oppressed;
19 To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord.”

20 Then He closed the book, and gave it back to the attendant and sat down. And the eyes of all who were in the synagogue were fixed on Him. 21 And He began to say to them, “Today this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.” 22 So all bore witness to Him, and marveled at the gracious words which proceeded out of His mouth. And they said, “Is this not Joseph’s son?”

He spent 40 days and 40 nights in the wilderness.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟482,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus didn’t go to the synagogue every Saturday to worship, He was in the wilderness for 40 days and 40 nights. So evidently if He kept all of God’s commandments and didn’t gather with others on Saturday then that’s not part of the commandment.
I hope you are not implying Jesus sinned. Jesus in His own Words said He kept His Father's commandments which includes the Sabbath and said we should keep the commandments too. John15:10. Jesus was accused of breaking the Sabbath commandment by the Pharisees, He was also accused of not being equal to God. Jesus led a perfect life of obedience to the commandments as our example to follow. Jesus never taught we should do the opposite of His example.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟482,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
He spent 40 days and 40 nights in the wilderness.
Are you saying Jesus didn't keep the Sabbath in the wilderness? The Israelites were in the wilderness and kept the Sabbath, why do you think Jesus wouldn't? Jesus said He kept the commandments, I believe Him.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟482,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Jesus as His custom was in the Temple reading the Word of God on the Sabbath day. If one is not able to be in church on the Sabbath, you can still keep the Sabbath holy by doing the ways of the Lord, speaking His Words and not our own on the Sabbath Isaiah 58:13. Jesus kept the Sabbath always, but when He could (as His custom, which means a regular occurrence) He was in the Temples on the Sabbath just the apostles who were commanded to observe everything Jesus commanded them. Matthew 28:20. I am not the one you need to convince why you feel the Sabbath commandment does not apply to you. God said the Sabbath is a sign between God and His people. I want to be one of God's people and if God commanded man to keep holy the second day, who are we to argue with God. God claimed the seventh day as His holy day for Him and for man in easy-to-understand scriptures. Exodus 20:8-11, Genesis 2:1-3. Isaiah 58:13 so for me I choose to follow the scriptures and the example Jesus left for us.

I'm going to sign out and wish you well in seeking His Word.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟891,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I hope you are not implying Jesus sinned. Jesus in His own Words said He kept His Father's commandments which includes the Sabbath and said we should keep the commandments too. John15:10. Jesus was accused of breaking the Sabbath commandment by the Pharisees, He was also accused of not being equal to God. Jesus led a perfect life of obedience to the commandments as our example to follow. Jesus never taught we should do the opposite of His example.

No I’m not implying that Jesus sinned I’m using His example as proof that gathering to worship was not the commandment God gave, otherwise He would’ve been obligated to shorten his stay in the wilderness to only 6 days at a time.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟482,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No I’m not implying that Jesus sinned I’m using His example as proof that gathering to worship was not the commandment God gave, otherwise He would’ve been obligated to shorten his stay in the wilderness to only 6 days at a time.

I already said the commandment is to keep the Sabbath holy Exodus 20:9 We see examples of how to keep the Sabbath holy throughout the bible. The purpose of the Sabbath is to have communion with God on His holy day. This is a day to celebrate everything God has done for us. Examples of that are going to church, reading scriptures, prayer, reasoning with the scriptures, teaching the Word of God, preaching God's Word, these are all example left by us by Jesus and the apostles. The Sabbath is doing the ways of the Lord and not our ways on His blessed and holy day. Isaiah 58:13

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟891,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I already said the commandment is to keep the Sabbath holy Exodus 20:9 We see examples of how to keep the Sabbath holy throughout the bible. The purpose of the Sabbath is to have communion with God on His holy day. This is a day to celebrate everything God has done for us. Examples of that are going to church, reading scriptures, prayer, reasoning with the scriptures, teaching the Word of God, preaching God's Word, these are all example left by us by Jesus and the apostles. The Sabbath is doing the ways of the Lord and not our ways on His blessed and holy day. Isaiah 58:13

Yeah He said that all the feast days were holy throughout Leviticus 23.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟482,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Yeah He said that all the feast days were holy throughout Leviticus 23.
Not the same as the weekly seventh day Sabbath, that started from creation before sin. Genesis 2:1-3 and is a commandment of God Exodus 20:8-11

The annual holy days called sabbath(s) was added after sin and had to do with the sacrificial system and feast days.

Totally different.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟891,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not the same as the weekly seventh day Sabbath, that started from creation before sin. Genesis 2:1-3 and is a commandment of God Exodus 20:8-11

The annual holy days called sabbath(s) was added after sin and had to do with the sacrificial system and feast days.

Totally different.

Thats completely irrelevant. So your saying that these commandments of God are inconsequential because they weren’t created in Genesis? A commandment of God is a commandment of God regardless of when it was spoken. Every commandment He gives is equally important as you yourself pointed out by quoting James 2:10. You strategically use that verse when it suits your position but now you seem to be forgetting your own quote.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟482,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Thats completely irrelevant. So your saying that these commandments of God are inconsequential because they weren’t created in Genesis? A commandment of God is a commandment of God regardless of when it was spoken. Every commandment He gives is equally important as you yourself pointed out by quoting James 2. You strategically use that verse when it suits your position but now you seem to be forgetting your own quote.

No, that is not what I am saying. The Sabbath started at Creation as it was God's perfect plan before sin. Genesis 2:1-3 What was created after sin was never in God's original plan- sin- blood sacrifice for sin etc.. Once man is restored back to being in the presence of the Lord when He comes and sin/sinners will be destroyed forever, it will go back to the way God always intended things to be. The Sabbath is about spending time and worshipping God. Sin separated God from man, so God's people commune with Him though His Spirit on His blessed and Holy day. Once Jesus comes, man will once again worship the Lord in His presence on the Sabbath for eternity Isaiah 66:22-23 the way it was intended, just like in the Garden of Eden.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟891,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, that is not what I am saying. The Sabbath started at Creation as it was God's perfect plan before sin. Genesis 2:1-3 What was created after sin was never in God's original plan- sin- blood sacrifice for sin etc.. Once we are restored back to being in the presence of the Lord when He comes and sin/sinners will be destroyed forever, it will go back to the way God always intended things to be. The Sabbath is about spending time and worshipping God. Sin separated God from man, so God's people commune with Him though His Spirit on His blessed and Holy day. Once Jesus comes, man will once again worship the Lord in His presence on the Sabbath for eternity Isaiah 66:22-23 the way it was intended, just like in the Garden of Eden.

I have two words for you, omniscient and omnipresent. Nothing happens that isn’t according to God’s plan. He doesn’t make a plan and say “well man messed that idea up, back to the drawing board”. Everything happens according to His plan, it’s not always what He desires, but everything has been foreseen and therefore has been calculated into His plan. So there is no plan B with God.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟482,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I have two words for you, omniscient and omnipresent. Nothing happens that isn’t according to God’s plan. He doesn’t make a plan and say “well man messed that idea up, back to the drawing board”. Everything happens according to His plan, it’s not always what He desires, but everything has been foreseen and therefore has been calculated into His plan. So there is no plan B with God.

Just because God is all knowing, doesn't mean He doesn't allow things to happen that are not in His plan. What happened to Earth was never in God's original plan, the way the devil has hijacked earth and lawlessness everywhere you look, is not God's will for His children. God came up with another plan since Adam and Eve allowed sin to come in this world and that is He gave up His only son to give mankind a second chance though His blood, when we repent and turn from sin. God's will for His children is still not to sin, which is the transgression of the law.1 John 3:4 Romans 7:7

The Garden of Eden gives us a taste of what it will be like when there is no more sin, which is what will be restored when He comes back, man will once again eat from the Tree of Life and God promises this time sin will never enter again. The bible is our manual how to be with God, so we can be ready when He comes. We are not saved by the law, we are saved by the blood of Jesus, but keeping God's law is how a saved person lives. Psalms 119:172, Revelation 14:12

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟891,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just because God is all knowing, doesn't mean He doesn't allow things to happen that are not in His plan. What happened to Earth was never in God's original plan, the way the devil has hijacked earth and lawlessness everywhere you look, is not God's will for His children. God came up with another plan since Adam and Eve allowed sin to come in this world and that is He gave up His only son to give mankind a second chance though His blood, when we repent and turn from sin. God's will for His children is still not to sin, which is the transgression of the law.1 John 3:4 Romans 7:7

Are you familiar with the book of life? When was it written? Before the foundation of the world. God knew who would abide in Him and who would not before the foundation of the world, hence God knew the fall would happen just as He had planned and that Christ would sacrifice Himself for us so that we would be saved. That was always the plan. Your suggesting that God had plan A then had to come up with a plan B when the fall happened but the scriptures indicate that God knew who would accept Him and who would reject Him before Adam was even created. God offered man life in paradise knowing full well that man would squander it.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟482,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Are you familiar with the book of life? When was it written? Before the foundation of the world. God knew who would abide in Him and who would not before the foundation of the world, hence God knew the fall would happen just as He had planned and that Christ would sacrifice Himself for us so that we would be saved. That was always the plan. Your suggesting that God had plan A then had to come up with a plan B when the fall happened but the scriptures indicate that God knew who would accept Him and who would reject Him before Adam was even created. God offered man life in paradise knowing full well that man would squander it.
I am familiar with the book of life. I think there is a difference between God being all-knowing and God allowing us to make decisions so we can be in the book of life or not. It was never God’s plan to have sin in the world, that was a decision our first patents made by disobeying God, we don’t have to make the same decision. If you think sin was always God’s plan, we will have to agree to disagree.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟891,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am familiar with the book of life. I think there is a difference between God being all-knowing and God allowing us to make decisions so we can be in the book of life or not. It was never God’s plan to have sin in the world, that was a decision our first patents made by disobeying God, we don’t have to make the same decision. If you think sin was always God’s plan, we will have to agree to disagree.

If I plant a tomato seed I might use a very small pot knowing that at some point I’ll have to replant it in a bigger pot. My replanting it into a bigger pot isn’t a different plan it’s just the second part of my overall plan because I already knew when I planted it in the first place that it would have to be replanted. The plan was always to replant it in a bigger pot later. It’s the same situation with God’s plan because He knew exactly what everyone would do before any of us were created.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟482,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If I plant a tomato seed I might use a very small pot knowing that at some point I’ll have to replant it in a bigger pot. My replanting it into a bigger pot isn’t a different plan it’s just the second part of my overall plan because I already knew when I planted it in the first place that it would have to be replanted. The plan was always to replant it in a bigger pot later. It’s the same situation with God’s plan because He knew exactly what everyone would do before any of us were created.

Yes, but you miss my point.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.