✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi dms,

I looked over your site reference. It's possible and there certainly is cause to consider that when God told the Israelites to 'turn back', the Nuweiba beach site wouldn't fit as well as some other proposed sites of the crossing.

I fully understand that the archeological community has serious questions regarding Mr. Wyatt's abilities as an archeologist and I fully understand that there have been some 'revelations' from his studies that are questionable as to their authenticity. But, his supposed evidence does bring up some questions that really need to be answered to fully deny his claim.

First, he makes the claim that Nuweiba is a name that has been shortened from it's full name, Nuwayba' al Muzayyinah, means 'the waters of Moses opening'. I'm not particularly wise in such things as this, but is there evidence that this claim just isn't true?

It would certainly seem logical that people in the area would have established some sort of memorial for the place where Pharoah and his army were completely and miraculously destroyed. Just as we have created memorials to establish for future generations the destruction and death wrought be the WTC attack and subsequent collapse.

Secondly, the pillars. One can actually see the place on Google Earth where the pillar stands and there is even a photo icon for it. Mr. Wyatt claims that there was a matching pillar on the other side but that it has been removed by the Saudi government. His claim is that the pillar on the other side was, when he saw it, clearly legible and that the inscriptions upon it made note of several prominent names surrounding the exodus and the crossing. Is this true? Does that pillar exist and does it say what it is purported to say? And, was it located where Mr. Wyatt says it was located?

Thirdly, the natural 'bridge' of land at Mr. Wyatt's supposed crossing point. Your site shows that there is a fairly wide chasm about 5km long in the middle of this bridge, but... Evidence I have read says that this area sits atop the meeting of a couple of tectonic plates and that it is, even today, opening up by about 1/2"/year. It is possible that this splitting may have breached what was in the days of the exodus a solid bridge and that once breached, erosion of water currents may have opened the breach even more. So, there is just some minor question that the opening in this natural bridge as we see it today may not have actually been the way the bridge was 4,000 years ago. That, of course, is likely something that we could never prove or disprove.

Finally, the pictures of supposed chariot wheels. Some have claimed that they aren't really chariot wheels, but because of government regulations against any archeological work in the area, no one has actually gone down to pick them up and verify yes or no. These formations do seem, much like the pillars, to obviously exist. The question is: Have we really been able to dismiss either of these claims?

Your site also gives fairly compelling evidence that the mouth of the Gulf of Aquaba may well be the crossing point. However, we must keep in mind that all of the place names that are on the map to mark where Migdol and pi-hahiroth, etc., are, aren't really known with the certainty that your writer holds. Good archeologists can't say with any certainty where the place called Migdol 4,000 years ago, is today. The same is true of pi-hahiroth. What is the ocean floor like at this place. According to the map on that site, the distance across the two places of water is about the same.

So, we have one study that is supposedly done by a known charlatan of which nearly everyone claims has no archeological background, but does show us some fairly compelling evidence against another study that also shows some fairly compelling evidence, but basically only if we accept the place names that are given. One of the questions that I have regarding this route is where Baal Zephon is? The map doesn't show it and it was a clear point that should be visible across the water from where the Israelites encamped.

Although I'd be satisfied with either location as places that would have clearly shown the great power and majesty of God in delivering His people from Egyptian bondage and starting them on their destiny as the 'people of our God'. To be absolutely certain of either location, I believe, would require more research. However, such research is outside of my realm of capabilities and so I would have to use the work of others to study the issue further.

I'm sure that Mr. Wyatt's resources depended on the gifts and donations of people who supported his work, but still, one must be able to refute the evidence that he offers with some degree of confidence. I'm not particularly sure that just labeling him a charlatan denies any evidence that he has brought to light.

God has been known to use some pretty weird and unlikely people, animals and things to open the minds of folks. He is on record that He will make foolish the wisdom of the wise. He once used an ass to open the eyes of a man to an angel standing in his way.

So, in conclusion, can we find any evidence that would provide any certainty that the name places on your referenced site are correct? Just some questions that need further looking into. I think it is a fair certainty that no one has really unearthed evidence by which we can know that we know where the Israelites crossed the sea.

I don't want to derail this thread, although it would seem that the OP has gotten the answer sought for. So, I would just encourage that if we are to go any further in researching this issue of the location of the crossing, we may want to start a new thread.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi GB,

You posted:
It wasnt that it was named that cos that was its name! Lol.

If that is in response to my post, I didn't say that it was 'named' that because that was its name. I said it is 'called' that because that is its name. That response is true. Just as people call me Ted because that is my name. Now, if you want to know why I was named Ted, then you should ask that. If you want to know how the Red Sea got it's name, then you can ask that. But it is 'called' the Red Sea because it is the Red Sea.

I bring this up because it matters in another piece of Scripture. In the prophecies of Jesus, one piece of Scripture says that he shall be 'called' Emmanuel, which means God with us. Now, most people say that this sentence is one of the evidences that Jesus is God. However, that isn't really what the sentence, and I must admit that I am beholden to the translators to have translated the underlying MSS correctly, says. It is saying that people are going to call Jesus Emmanuel and surely we do. However, this is a prophecy. God knew that people would call His Son Emmanuel and so He caused that to be written as a prophecy for us to know the Messiah when he came. It does not, however, mean that God is telling us that Jesus is Him.

Similarly in this case, we call it the Red Sea, but quite obviously it isn't red in any picture that I have seen nor, apparently, any picture that you have seen. So, does calling it the Red Sea make it red? Does calling Jesus Emmanuel make him God?

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
But I did ask that, I asked why is it called the red sea.
Dont argue over semantics, just answer the question.

How did it get its name?
My mum gave me my name and when I asked her why she said it was because it was easy to pronounce. All you have to do is give a reason.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So, we have one study that is supposedly done by a known charlatan of which nearly everyone claims has no archeological background, but does show us some fairly compelling evidence against another study that also shows some fairly compelling evidence, but basically only if we accept the place names that are given. One of the questions that I have regarding this route is where Baal Zephon is? The map doesn't show it and it was a clear point that should be visible across the water from where the Israelites encamped.

Hi Ted,

Apologies for missing your earlier link about the pillars.

If you look further down the website link I posted, you'll see photos of what the Israelites would have seen across the sea when camped at Pi Hathoth, the view was dominated mainly by Mt Tiran, on an island, this to me seems a good candidate for the location of Baal Zephon.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Im thinking some theologians arent actually too smart on answering questions here.

Its true i'm not too smart, I didn't know the answer to the question either without doing research

But I don't claim to be a theologian, and you're not asking a theological question. Is this even the forum to ask about this? How is asking about how a Sea came to be named Red specifically a theology question?

I don't claim to be a theologian, only to be offering help with a question i don't know the answer to, by researching it on the internet. Maybe I should not even try to help find an answer, which I have given few hours to over the last two days.

We didn't know the answer, but we helped you research it.

All the links provided give more than sufficent information for you to find an answer to your question, including biblical and theological aspects which in any case were not requested in your OP.

But here is a picture.

Red Sea Coral Reef, Red Sea
The Variegated Undersea World

Diversity adds to the marvel of the reef system in the Red Sea. Clear waters, sheltered from strong currents and warmed by volcanic activity, create the ideal environment for the more than 200 types of soft and hard corals found here. Dive the site in Sinai, see the scenic seascape and swim with the moray eels, giant manta rays, Napoleon wrasse, hammerhead sharks and the famed Red Sea lionfish.

If you want greater certainty, you'll have to take a holiday in the region, and don't forget to take a snorkel!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
When my bible class of 6-7 year olds asks me a theological question such as why is it called the red sea I might say, well according to wise and learned theologians on CF, they say its named the red sea cos thats what it was called.

Im sure they will be totally satisfied with that answer.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well everyone seems to be ignoring revelation which is pretty theological to me. And the Red sea is in the Bible. GOd didnt have the israelites cross the atlantic ocean, despite what some mormons believe.

We are going by the Bible as to the places. Revelation in my understanding principally of who God is and what He does. By revelation we learn of God's mighty acts, and faithfulness, not precise geographical data about the flora and fauna of the region

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
GB , its not a theological question, its a question a few children might ask. If you teach that age you will have to find a way of answering in keeping with the age of the questioner. I am not a sunday school teacher, but maybe you need to talk to someone else who teaches this age group and see if they get this sort of question and whether they attempt an answer and if so what way they answer it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
When my bible class of 6-7 year olds asks me a theological question such as why is it called the red sea I might say, well according to wise and learned theologians on CF, they say its named the red sea cos thats what it was called.

Im sure they will be totally satisfied with that answer.

They probably will be. :)

If not I and others provided you with good links for you to read further.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi GB,

I didn't really expect that my 'short' answer was going to get such discussion. However, as I said much earlier in this thread, when we are trying to discern things, especially reasons for why something that someone did or said in the far distant past, unless we have some remaining written record from the person in question, it's all a best guess for us today.

The answer, if you want to tell your students the truth as best it can be determined today, is that you can't be absolutely certain why the body of water is called the Red Sea. It is considered that it is because there are certain anomalies that, at times, make the water to appear red in various places. Then you can list the various anomalies that have been brought to you in this thread.

Today, I call it the Red Sea because that is its name. Remember, your question is in the present tense. Why 'is' it called... not why 'was' it called... Honestly, to be sure that you get the answer that you are seeking, your question should be: Why was it named the Red Sea?

God bless you,
In Christ, Ted

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi dms,

Well, over these past couple of days I've done more looking up explanations for the Israelite crossing and one thing that comes to my attention is that understanding 'pi-hahiroth' may be a significant key.

One site that wants to show that the crossing was just some reasonably shallow place of water translates this word as 'mouth of canals'. Based on this translation it says that the Israelites likely crossed some canal off of the Nile River. Another site that proposes the Nuweiba crossing translates it as 'mouth of gorges' and says this is in reference to the mountain gorge the Isrealites had to pass through to get to the beach. Coming from the water to the beach this 'mouth' of a gorge was the only way back into the mainland. The other site that proposes the place where the Red Sea meets the Gulf of Aqaba, translates it as 'mouth of waters'. So, there is no doubt that 'pi' means mouth, but no one seems to really have any clear understanding of what 'hahiroth' would have meant.

I'm satisfied that option number 1 is senseless. Options 2 & 3 still need some further development. However, they both would be acceptable in meeting many of the other claims we are given concerning the crossing.

Place locations are the key in understanding the route of the exodus and there doesn't seem to be much evidence still existing that allows us to know with any certainty where these places are.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Hebrew word for sea is yam. The 'Sea of Galilee' is Yam Kinnereth in Hebrew. It is actually a fresh water lake and not a sea. There are not many lakes in Israel, thus they used the same word for sea and lake.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi dms,

Well, over these past couple of days I've done more looking up explanations for the Israelite crossing and one thing that comes to my attention is that understanding 'pi-hahiroth' may be a significant key.

One site that wants to show that the crossing was just some reasonably shallow place of water translates this word as 'mouth of canals'. Based on this translation it says that the Israelites likely crossed some canal off of the Nile River. Another site that proposes the Nuweiba crossing translates it as 'mouth of gorges' and says this is in reference to the mountain gorge the Isrealites had to pass through to get to the beach. Coming from the water to the beach this 'mouth' of a gorge was the only way back into the mainland. The other site that proposes the place where the Red Sea meets the Gulf of Aqaba, translates it as 'mouth of waters'. So, there is no doubt that 'pi' means mouth, but no one seems to really have any clear understanding of what 'hahiroth' would have meant.

I'm satisfied that option number 1 is senseless. Options 2 & 3 still need some further development. However, they both would be acceptable in meeting many of the other claims we are given concerning the crossing.

Place locations are the key in understanding the route of the exodus and there doesn't seem to be much evidence still existing that allows us to know with any certainty where these places are.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted
I toured the Sinai for two days c. 2000. Nuweiba is wide spot at the mouth of a wadi along a narrow rocky coast. There were some tourist huts and a restaurant at Nuweiba. I stopped for lunch there.

The desert is barren and desolate. People find it hard to believe a force of 603,550 men aged 20 and up (Numbers) with their wives and children could have lived there for 40 years. It seems like a legend more than a historical account. Efforts to find Israeli encampments have failed. If they cooked their manna, they would have left charcoal remains from their campfires. These have not been found after some limited archaeological surveys. The Egyptian government allows archaeology by permit application only.

Since 2000 two hotels were bombed by Al Qaeda and there are terrorist cells operating in the Sinai.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi dqhall,

I don't really know why it would be hard to believe that a couple of million people wandered around at times and camped for long periods in the area. Man is a very versatile and hardy creature when it comes to what kind of conditions he will survive in. Within, of course, some parameters of temperature and oxygen supply. The problem with people today is that they just can't seem to understand that life, as we know it with all the 'new and improved' technology, is relatively recent.

I'm always humored when I see all the commercials selling cleaning products and making claims to kill 99% of germs and bacteria and schools now requiring children to bring germicidal wipes to class with them. It makes one wonder how in the world mankind could possibly have survived 5,000 years until these germophobic products were made available to us?

Similarly, many, many, many television commercials today are pushing some sort of medication that we need to fix this or that human condition. Again, I chuckle to myself and wonder how in the world mankind has possibly survived? We are a spoiled people especially here in the U.S. and in most other industrialized nations.

My mother was taking some 10-15 prescription meds a day. I went to visit her and raised the roof about all the meds and pretty much told her that she should stop taking them. She did. After her body settled back to its normal state she was diagnosed with a thyroid condition that was affecting her calcium levels. She had an operation for that and today she is as healthy and happy as can be for a woman near 80 and not taking any meds. The point is that we have become a society that has stopped trusting God for each day of our life and rather turned to the wisdom of man to give us more days of life. We have become a society that doesn't understand how people could possibly live simply. Live with germs and bacteria in and around them all the time. We can't understand that all man needs to live on this earth is some food and water and a place in the ground to go pooh and pee.

But, I contend that for hundreds and thousands of years, that's really all man had. Those required necessities can be found in the desert as well as in a forest or a fertile plain. Admittedly, God did have to provide that many people on the move with their food, and He did. The Scriptures tell us that God provided the manna for Israel to eat throughout their sojourn to their homeland. The Scriptures only speak of it once, but it seems that their going forth from their tents to collect manna six days a week was pretty much what they did for roughly 40 years.

As to the belief that some firewood or charcoal remains might be found after 3500 years, I'm not really sure that would be the case. 3500 years is a long time for any natural product to leave a trace of its existence. However, there is other evidence of the exodus that has withstood the passage of time. There are several hundred inscriptions found on rock faces throughout the area. Apparently the Israelites did expect for people to be trying to prove the event and made inscriptions on rocks in the area. After all, what other motive would one have to write something in a rock face that's staying where it is after you've left? Just as God wrote the ten commandments in stone because of its long durability, the Israelites wrote in stone for the same reason.

So, there are evidences of the exodus. Whether one is going to believe the evidence is another matter. There are among us, those who would believe that man has never been to the moon. Even though we have soil and rocks from the moon and pictures abounding of men standing on the moon, this evidence is not sufficient for them to believe that we've been to the moon. The unbelievers would claim that it's all somehow fabricated by some group whose work is to deceive us all.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0