Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I pointed out that the lakes were tidal at the time and the Bible itself refers to a strong wind holding back the water. A cessation of that wind coupled with an incoming tide might do the trick. In actual fact the entire story is probably allegorical because the historical evidence for it is nonexistent and the story itself is most improbable.

And now, as Paul Harvey used to say, we have the rest of the story.

God bless you all,
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

4x4toy

Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I pointed out that the lakes were tidal at the time and the Bible itself refers to a strong wind holding back the water. A cessation of that wind coupled with an incoming tide might do the trick. In actual fact the entire story is probably allegorical because the historical evidence for it is nonexistent and the story itself is most improbable.

LOL

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi dms,

That's really a pretty fascinating article and does possibly explain why the Hebrews wrote 'yam suph' when describing where the crossing took place. According to the last bit of evidence as to 'why' it would have been called the 'sea of reeds' he explains that there are fresh water springs which actually feed the very northern tip of the Gulf of Aquaba. Thus allowing for reeds to grow in that area. This would then be a way that the writers might have identified what we now call the Gulf of Aquaba as the actual body of water that was crossed and not some place out in the middle of the main body of the Red Sea.

The body of water that we today call the Gulf of Aquaba, which we know it wasn't called in the days of the crossing, may not have actually been considered a part of the 'Red Sea', but was more specifically referred to in those days as the 'sea of reeds'. The writer of the article explains that this is such a curious anomaly that identifying the body of water by this particularly curious anomaly would have just been natural.

Even today, when we want to identify two reasonably similar things, such as naming these bodies of water, we often pick out something that is peculiar to one and not the other to name them so that there is no confusion.

I think the native Indians may have been very well known for naming things by peculiar anomalies. If an area had a larger than normal sized tree, then it may have been called 'land of the great tree'. Or if a river was particularly muddy, it might have been called the 'great muddy water'. The body of water known today as the 'Gulf of Aquaba' was known in the days of the Hebrews enslavement in Egypt as the 'Sea of Reeds' because it was such a peculiar anomaly for a salt water sea to have reeds growing in it.

And of course for me, the nail that secures the argument is that 'sea of reeds' was what that body of water was called in the days of the kings of Israel. The port city where Solomon is said to have built his great ships was on the 'sea of reeds'.

Thanks for the link.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The RED sea includes the gulfs between the two lands, i dont think they made any distinction between gulfs and seas back then, it was all sea to them.

In the bible, the Nile was the water that had reeds.
Another translation has it the sea of weeds. Well of course sea has seaweed in it. Maybe it had lots of seaweed, and so when the israelites were crossing through on dry land they all had to walk through seaweed.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes but why is it called the RED sea.

Please answer the question.

Hi GB,

If you'll read the link that dms posted you'll find that the writer gave some information concerning that.

As has already been mentioned, it may be because the eastern shore was largely populated by the edomite tribes. However, the author of the article provides a possibly more logical explanation in that it does sometimes appear red, especially along the shore line when the tide is down due to the abundance of red corals that lie just under the surface. He also explains that it does take on a somewhat red hue at certain times when the sun reflects off of the red soil formations that make up some of the cliff faces that are in some areas around the sea.

Of course, the most direct reason that it is called the red sea today is because, for whatever reason, that's the name it was given many centuries ago.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Red Sea is known for blooms of red algae which turns vast areas red.

Hi jack,

May well be. One of the things that I'm not sure people are really aware of is that anytime we seek answers, especially about events of the distant past, from facts not inevidence, it's all ultimately just a best guess.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

Jezmeyah

member since 7-14-16
Jul 14, 2016
Indiana
✟32,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've trusted the Bible that there was a good reason why the body of water is called "The Red Sea".

The links state that the water is not actually a red color on it's own but gets the color from an algae that grows in the water.

"The sea becomes filled with blooms of cyanobacteria algae called trichodesmium erythraeum which upon dying turn the usually blue green water to reddish brown."
http://www.livescience.com/32112-is-the-red-sea-really-red.html

"..the Red Sea got its name because of a type of algae trichodesmium erythraeum which is found in the sea. When these blooms of algae die off they appear to turn the color of the ocean to a reddish brown."
http://www.infoplease.com/askeds/red-sea-red.html

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There are actually markers for where the Israelites crossed. They were erected by order of God at the time of the crossing.

Hi Ted,

Could you be thinking rather of what happens later in in Exodus 17, After the battle with the Amalekites, Moses built an altar, and called it The Lord is my Banner. Exodus 17:15.

I don't see anything in Exodus 14.

Here is another article, which explains that Moses was not concerned when he wrote Exodus in giving precise geographical details. As modern people our approach, and expectations of the Bible are usually at odds with the mindset of it writters, and their reasons for writting.

http://www.crivoice.org/yamsuph.html

Edit Although having said that, Exodus 14 does detail specific places. The difficulty is knowing today the locations of ancient sites.

also with regard to whether the crossing was at some shallow spot, i have wondered about this myself, however the song of Moses and Miriam speaks of deep waters, and Pharoah's army "sinking to the depths" Exodus 15:4,5.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yes but why is it called the RED sea.

Please answer the question.

The article answers that, and also some of the other posts-

the larger body of water that the gulfs enter has a plant in it that turns red, generating the phenomenon of the water appearing reddish at certain times.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi dms,

Actually, I wrote that without getting my facts straight. The altar built for the crossing was the altar that Joshua commanded to be erected after crossing the Jordan. He had the priests lay out twelve stones, one for each of the tribes to commemorate the crossing. I had confused that with my earlier research on the pillars of the Red Sea crossing. When I went back to refresh myself with the information since it was now up for discussion I saw my error in claiming that God had commanded the pillars to be erected.

So, since you've now asked, I'll retract my earlier claim as to when and on whose orders the pillars were set up to commemorate the Red Sea crossing. The pillars were erected supposedly by Solomon to commemorate the Red Sea crossing.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to correct my previous claim.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No probs.

Were did you hear Solomon had pillars erected, just wondering?

The difficulty with knowing the exact place of the crossing is knowing the locations of Pi Hahiroth, which is were God told the Israelites to camp in Exodus 14:2. It says this is directly opposite Baal Zephon (baal of the north). This website locates that at Mt Tiran near the place were the Gulf of Aquaba enters the Red Sea.

As shrines to baal were placed on high ground, this seems like it could be correct. I would think it should be possible to discover the locations of these places named.

http://www.bible.ca/archeology/bible-archeology-exodus-route-baal-zephon.htm

As shrines to baal were placed on high ground, this seems like it could be correct. I would think it should be possible to discover the locations of these places named.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I mean the Tasman sea (the one nearest me) was named after abel Tasman the explorer.
There was a reason and thats because of that.
It wasnt that it was named that cos that was its name! Lol.

People who gave that sort of answer would defintiely fail if they sat an exam with that question.

Upvote 0