Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It`s a reference to the 1st resurrection. The Holy Spirit will resurrect, another proof He is the Spirit of Christ. Christ is the second Adam.
Agreed, but that doesn't mean that Christ is a spirit. The word is actually wind or breath. When it's translated spirit it's just a figurative useage of the word. The problem is the English word spirit is often used of a ghost, a disembodied living being. The Greek and the Hebrew words have no such meaning. It's a figure of speech. Too often when the English reader sees the word spirit, in his mind he plugs in, disembodied living being instead of wind or breath.

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Or maybe Paul is using metaphors. How can Jesus be in all of these hearts if He is flesh and bones as He said? He said He wasn't a spirit so He can't be an omnipresent spirit. He said He was flesh and Bone. The apostle John too, says that He is flesh and bone.

Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: (1 Jn. 4:2 KJV)

Here the word translated come, is a perfect tense participle. The perfect tense indicates a past completed action whose results continue to the present. What John is saying is that Christ came in the flesh and was still in the flesh when John wrote the letter.

He came to earth

in the flesh.

Before incarnating in a body, He was and is God who is a spirit.

We are also made up of soul, spirit, and body, only our spirit isn’t God.

Jesus’ spirit IS God, and will always be God.

His body is in heaven. His spirit indwells believers, just like the Holy Spirit does.

It’s not a metaphor, either.

1Co 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is IN you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

Upvote 0

RickReads

Sep 27, 2020
richmond
✟64,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Agreed, but that doesn't mean that Christ is a spirit. The word is actually wind or breath. When it's translated spirit it's just a figurative useage of the word. The problem is the English word spirit is often used of a ghost, a disembodied living being. The Greek and the Hebrew words have no such meaning. It's a figure of speech. Too often when the English reader sees the word spirit, in his mind he plugs in, disembodied living being instead of wind or breath.

Regardless, reconciliation requires an acceptence of what a scripture says. Here`s another proof.

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you."

"lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world."

Upvote 0

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He came to earth

in the flesh.

His body is in heaven. His spirit indwells believers, just like the Holy Spirit does.

1Co 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is IN you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

You're espousing Dualism. That's not what the Scriptures teach. The Bible says that Christ emptied Himself and became man. Man cannot live apart from the Body. If Christ is a man He can't either.

Regarding 1 Cor. 6:19, the word "your" is plural and the word body is singular. He didn't say your bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit. He said your(plural) body (singular). In other words, their church (congregation) body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. In other words the Holy Spirit dwells among their church body. This passage isn't saying the Holy Spirit is inside of their physical bodies.

Upvote 0

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Regardless, reconciliation requires an acceptence of what a scripture says. Here`s another proof.

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you."

"lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world."

He said that to the apostles. What is the point you're making?

Upvote 0

RickReads

Sep 27, 2020
richmond
✟64,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
He came to earth

in the flesh.

Who is the Theophany of the Old Testament? That question would make a good thread.

Upvote 0

RickReads

Sep 27, 2020
richmond
✟64,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
You're espousing Dualism. That's not what the Scriptures teach. The Bible says that Christ emptied Himself and became man. Man cannot live apart from the Body. If Christ is a man He can't either.

Regarding 1 Cor. 6:19, the word "your" is plural and the word body is singular. He didn't say your bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit. He said your(plural) body (singular). In other words, their church (congregation) body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. In other words the Holy Spirit dwells among their church body. This passage isn't saying the Holy Spirit is inside of their physical bodies.

Here`s another,

"Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God"

If this saying of Paul is true then how is it that Jesus could still be flesh? Flesh is the terrestial body.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here`s another,

"Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God"

If this saying of Paul is true then how is it that Jesus could still be flesh? Flesh is the terrestial body.

Simple. It could be that you're misunderstanding the passage. Paul often speaks in concepts and abstracts. The bottom line is that you're trying to prove another passage of Scripture is wrong. It's just like I said earlier. Each side picks certain passages and ignores the others. You're just proving my point.

Instead of saying how could Jesus still be flesh when He said He was flesh, you should be asking how can I reconcile this passage that Paul wrote with what Jesus said. One seeks to reconcile the passages the other seeks to disprove one of them. But, here again, the passage doesn't say what you claim, you're simply trying to reason your claim into existence.

To answer your question, just look at the context. Paul answers it for you. The context is resurrection. He answers it in the same verse you quoted from.

Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption. (1 Cor. 15:50 KJV

Corrupt flesh and blood cannot inherit the Kingdom, just as corruption can't inherit incorruption.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You too tired to look up a verse?
As I said, your understanding and mine are probably different. If you look at the question, I said, what do "you" mean by celestial? Tell me, where can I look up what your understanding of celestial is?

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can you support any of that with Scripture?

Jesus is not a created being, He is God the word, from John 1:1, who incarnated as a man, but was God First, and always.

John 1 goes on to say that God the word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, and that He created the world He was born into.

Here is proof Jesus has a spirit, and that He dwells in us.

In fact it shows the Trinity indwells believers:

Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Rom 8:10 And if Christ be IN you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

Upvote 0

RickReads

Sep 27, 2020
richmond
✟64,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
As I said, your understanding and mine are probably different. If you look at the question, I said, what do "you" mean by celestial? Tell me, where can I look up what your understanding of celestial is?

20 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.

21 For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.

22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.

24 Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.

25 For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet.

26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

27 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.

28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

29 Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?

30 And why stand we in jeopardy every hour?

31 I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily.

32 If after the manner of men I have fought with beasts at Ephesus, what advantageth it me, if the dead rise not? let us eat and drink; for to morrow we die.

33 Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.

34 Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.

35 But some man will say, How are the dead raised up? and with what body do they come?

36 Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die:

37 And that which thou sowest, thou sowest not that body that shall be, but bare grain, it may chance of wheat, or of some other grain:

38 But God giveth it a body as it hath pleased him, and to every seed his own body.

39 All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds.

40 There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.

41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.

42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:

43 It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:

44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

47 The first man is of the earth, earthy; the second man is the Lord from heaven.

48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.

49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don`t have dislike for the term trinity per se, I just have an aversion for using terms that were invented after the 1st century. I use them for discussion purposes only. Since I was 20 my passion has been to recover the beliefs of the 1st century disciples.

Ruh roh - celestial is a term that sounds like Mormon doctrine.

Upvote 0