Jul 28, 2003
St. Louis
Visit site
✟8,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In Scripture, I find no less than two (and depending on your version, three) different places where the term is used.

1) The verse that many like to quote is Revelation 22:16. Jesus says,"...I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star" Okay, but what does this mean?

2) Some Bibles translate the KJV "Lucifer" as "morning star" in Isaiah 14:12
This may present a problem. Certainly, Jesus isn't the devil.

3) The third place that often goes unnoticed is Job 38:7. (Yes, even in the KJV), "when the morning stars sang together...."
This may still present a problem, on a couple levels
a) there is more than one
b) the same verse talks about more than one son of God
Yet, where Job 38:7 talks about the morning stars singing and the sons of God shouting, the One who is speaking is the Creator.
Who is the Creator? Colossians 1:16 says that Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is the Creator. Therefore the morning stars and sons of God refer to others.
So in Job 38:7, are the morning stars and sons of God not mere angels?

How much can we make of the term "morning star"?

mythbuster

Apr 14, 2004
✟746.00
Faith
Christian
Some verses...

Numbers 24:17
I see Him, but not now; I behold Him, but not near. There shall come forth a Star out of Jacob, And a Scepter shall rise out of Israel, And He shall crush the corners of Moab, And break down all the sons of Sheth.

Matt 2:2 Saying, Where is He who has been born King of the Jews? For we saw His star at its rising and have come to worship Him.

Upvote 0

bjh

Bible Student
Jul 28, 2003
St. Louis
Visit site
✟8,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Numbers 24:17 does not say "morning star". In other words, from a stellar point of view, I think a "star out of Jacob" is not the same as "morning star". Another interesting point was that it says "a Star", not "the Star".

In Matthew 2, however, it is a different star. Is it not? Surely the magi wouldn't have travelled several miles for something they see every morning. Personally, I believe that the star (in the sky) seen by the Magi, is no longer seen.

Upvote 0

vinc

Jul 24, 2004
Visit site
✟1,161.00
Faith
1) The verse that many like to quote is Revelation 22:16. Jesus says,"...I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star" Okay, but what does this mean?
Ans. This morning star clearly refers to Lord Jesus Christ.

2) Some Bibles translate the KJV "Lucifer" as "morning star" in Isaiah 14:12
This may present a problem. Certainly, Jesus isn't the devil.
Ans. This morning star clearly refers to Lucifer who was previously an Archangel and who led the worship in the heaven. Now he no longer could be the morning star as we all know that he was fallen due to pride. This "morning star" mentioned in Isaiah 14:12 does not refer to Lord Jesus Christ.

3) The third place that often goes unnoticed is Job 38:7. (Yes, even in the KJV), "when the morning stars sang together...."
This may still present a problem, on a couple levels
a) there is more than one
Yes.
b) the same verse talks about more than one son of God
Yes true what you said.
Yet, where Job 38:7 talks about the morning stars singing and the sons of God shouting, the One who is speaking is the Creator.
Who is the Creator? Colossians 1:16 says that Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is the Creator. Therefore the morning stars and sons of God refer to others.
So in Job 38:7, are the morning stars and sons of God not mere angels?
Ans. The morning stars referred to in Job 38:7 could be more likely the Angels in heaven. God is speaking to Job here.

How much can we make of the term "morning star"?
Ans. Each time the term "morning star" could be referring to either Angels or the Sons of God (including Lord Jesus Christ the begotten Son of God) depending on the context we can make out whom the particular "morning star" is being referred to.

There is yet one more verse in Revelation 2:28 which says, "And I will give him the morning star.". This "morning star" is promised to all those who live victorious christian lives and keep their testimony till the end.

Upvote 0

shernren

you are not reading this.
Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
How do we know for sure that the morning star in Isaiah 12 is the devil? The passage in context describes the relief of Israel's bondage in exile and the taunt they will take up over the now-defeated "king of Babylon". How does the Lucifer interpretation jive with verses 9-11 - who are the "kings" welcoming Lucifer, and is Lucifer decaying that he should be eaten by maggots? Furthermore v16 specifically states: "is this the man who shook the earth?"

The reason people see this as describing the devil is because the language is so graphical and vivid that it seems supernatural, and also because of the tie-in with Ezekiel 28's "king of Tyre". In that passage also the king of Tyre is described in such lucid beauty that it must be the devil in his "non-fallen" state! However, I believe that this superlative language is natural for someone writing poetry; furthermore the rest of Ezekiel's writings are similarly grand and huge. And also there is a specific mention of mortality in verses 9 and 10 of Ezekiel 28. My take on it is that it is possible, but not probable or straightforward, that these passages represent the "pre-fall Lucifer".

The morning stars in Job 38 could be, well, stars. The Psalms talk about the heavens declaring the glory of God, so why can't stars praise Him either? The stars are specifically described in a separate group from the angels. Although, of course, that would jar with Genesis 1 where the earth is created before the stars... =P

You will have to check what the original for morning star means, and if there are actually different words given the same translation...

Upvote 0

johnd

Nov 30, 2003
God bless.
Visit site
✟9,564.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
The bright morning star is the greatest creation of God. Until the incarnation, Lucifer was that greatest creation. It was from there he fell.

Isaiah 14:12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! 13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: 14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. 15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit. 16 They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms; 17 That made the world as a wilderness, and destroyed the cities thereof; that opened not the house of his prisoners? KJV

Isaiah 14:12 How you have fallen from heaven, O morning star, son of the dawn! You have been cast down to the earth, you who once laid low the nations! 13 You said in your heart, “I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God; I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly, on the utmost heights of the sacred mountain. 14 I will ascend above the tops of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High.” 15 But you are brought down to the grave, to the depths of the pit. 16 Those who see you stare at you, they ponder your fate: “Is this the man who shook the earth and made kingdoms tremble, 17 the man who made the world a desert, who overthrew its cities and would not let his captives go home?” NIV

Ezekiel 28:11 The word of the LORD came to me: 12 “Son of man, take up a lament concerning the king of Tyre and say to him: ‘This is what the Sovereign LORD says: ”‘You were the model of perfection, full of wisdom and perfect in beauty. 13 You were in Eden, the garden of God; every precious stone adorned you: ruby, topaz and emerald, chrysolite, onyx and jasper, sapphire, turquoise and beryl. Your settings and mountings were made of gold; on the day you were created they were prepared. 14 You were anointed as a guardian cherub, for so I ordained you. You were on the holy mount of God; you walked among the fiery stones. 15 You were blameless in your ways from the day you were created till wickedness was found in you. 16 Through your widespread trade you were filled with violence, and you sinned. So I drove you in disgrace from the mount of God, and I expelled you, O guardian cherub, from among the fiery stones.
17 Your heart became proud on account of your beauty, and you corrupted your wisdom because of your splendor. So I threw you to the earth; I made a spectacle of you before kings. NIV

Ezekiel 28:11 Moreover the word of the LORD came unto me, saying, 12 Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty. 13 Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created. 14 Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire. 15 Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee. 16 By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire. 17 Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee. KJV

Colossians 1:13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: 14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: 15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: 16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: 17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

Revelation 22:16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

Upvote 0

freespirit2001

Contributor
Dec 3, 2003
Eastern Shore off the Chesapeake Bay, Md
Visit site
✟12,864.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Your questions are: "who is a morning star" and "how much can we make of the term 'morning star' "?

There are many dimensions about the answer to this question, as it it is an allegorical one, but basically Christ is the morning star as it is written. However, there are many morning stars referred to in Job, with reference to the foundation of the earth:

"Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?....

On what were its bases sunk,
or who laid its cornerstone,
when the morning stars sang together,
and all the sons of God shouted for joy?"

Job 38: 4, 6-7

Isaiah prophesizes about the coming Messiah (Isaiah 53) (many passages of Isaiah suggest the Glory of the Lord's coming). Isaiah uses very poetic language about the stars and the heavens often and makes reference to many bright morning stars:

"To whom then will you compare me, that I should be like him? says the Holy One.
Lift up your eyes on high and see: who created these?
He who brings out their host by number, caling them all by name;
by the greatness of his might,
and because he is strong in power not one is missing."

Isaiah 40:25-26

If this passage also does refer to the morning stars in Job, then they also have a specific number to them as of the holy elect in Revelations ( who also sing as the morning stars mentioned in Job):

[bible]Revelation 14:3[/bible]

"Thus says the Lord,
the Holy One of Israel, and his Maker;
"Will you question me about my children,
or command me concerning the work of my hands?
I made the earth, and created man upon it:
it was my hands that stretched out the heavens,
and I commanded all their host
I have aroused him in righteousness, and I will make straight all his ways;
he shall build my city
and set my exiles free,
not for price or reward,"
says the Lord of hosts."

Isaiah 45:11-13

[bible]Isaiah 60:19-22[/bible]

Upvote 0

freespirit2001

Contributor
Dec 3, 2003
Visit site
✟12,864.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
johnd said:
The bright morning star is the greatest creation of God. Until the incarnation, Lucifer was that greatest creation. It was from there he fell.

Isaiah 14:12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! 13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: 14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. 15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit. 16 They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms; 17 That made the world as a wilderness, and destroyed the cities thereof; that opened not the house of his prisoners? KJV

Isaiah 14:12 How you have fallen from heaven, O morning star, son of the dawn! You have been cast down to the earth, you who once laid low the nations! 13 You said in your heart, “I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God; I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly, on the utmost heights of the sacred mountain. 14 I will ascend above the tops of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High.” 15 But you are brought down to the grave, to the depths of the pit. 16 Those who see you stare at you, they ponder your fate: “Is this the man who shook the earth and made kingdoms tremble, 17 the man who made the world a desert, who overthrew its cities and would not let his captives go home?” NIV

Ezekiel 28:11 The word of the LORD came to me: 12 “Son of man, take up a lament concerning the king of Tyre and say to him: ‘This is what the Sovereign LORD says: ”‘You were the model of perfection, full of wisdom and perfect in beauty. 13 You were in Eden, the garden of God; every precious stone adorned you: ruby, topaz and emerald, chrysolite, onyx and jasper, sapphire, turquoise and beryl. Your settings and mountings were made of gold; on the day you were created they were prepared. 14 You were anointed as a guardian cherub, for so I ordained you. You were on the holy mount of God; you walked among the fiery stones. 15 You were blameless in your ways from the day you were created till wickedness was found in you. 16 Through your widespread trade you were filled with violence, and you sinned. So I drove you in disgrace from the mount of God, and I expelled you, O guardian cherub, from among the fiery stones.
17 Your heart became proud on account of your beauty, and you corrupted your wisdom because of your splendor. So I threw you to the earth; I made a spectacle of you before kings. NIV

Ezekiel 28:11 Moreover the word of the LORD came unto me, saying, 12 Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty. 13 Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created. 14 Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire. 15 Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee. 16 By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire. 17 Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee. KJV

How is the King of Tyrus (Tyre) --- being referred to as an
"?---article or item---?" of precious stones, (perhaps mirroring the Holy Wall of the New Jerusalem)---and as an evil fallen morning star, as Lucifer?

Upvote 0

shernren

Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Oh it gets worse. How can the Bible be referring to the Devil and Jesus with the same term?? That's the most horrible blasphemy possible ... that's why I don't believe that you can specifically say that "morning star" has a fixed meaning through scripture. It is a poetic symbol used to express something: the context determines what is being expressed.

How do you do those box things around the verses? Quotes turn out different.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

johnd

Nov 30, 2003
God bless.
Visit site
✟9,564.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
freespirit2001 said:
How is the King of Tyrus (Tyre) --- being referred to as an
"?---article or item---?" of precious stones, (perhaps mirroring the Holy Wall of the New Jerusalem)---and as an evil fallen morning star, as Lucifer?

Evidence within the text pierces through the named king to the evil source behind the king. The king of Tyre most likely never heard of Eden.

Upvote 0

johnd

Nov 30, 2003
God bless.
Visit site
✟9,564.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
shernren said:
Oh it gets worse. How can the Bible be referring to the Devil and Jesus with the same term?? That's the most horrible blasphemy possible ... that's why I don't believe that you can specifically say that "morning star" has a fixed meaning through scripture. It is a poetic symbol used to express something: the context determines what is being expressed.

How do you do those box things around the verses? Quotes turn out different.

You forget Satan was not created evil. He fell. Until which time he was the guardian cherub that covered (chiefest of the cherubs). Until he fell, he was the Lord's greatest creation: the morning star... and later there came another even greater creation: the Incarnation when God became a man (Philippians 2:6-8, Hebrews 10:5-7): the bright and morning star.

Upvote 0

shernren

Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Until you can substantiate this with another passage that specifically describes the Devil in such terms, I would be wary in founding a complete "Satan-ology" on one passage alone. I am aware of the passage where Paul says Satan masquerades as an angel of light... any others?

Upvote 0

johnd

Nov 30, 2003
God bless.
Visit site
✟9,564.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
shernren said:
Until you can substantiate this with another passage that specifically describes the Devil in such terms, I would be wary in founding a complete "Satan-ology" on one passage alone. I am aware of the passage where Paul says Satan masquerades as an angel of light... any others?

I am glad you are taking no one's word for it.

But you must go through the text in question in Ezekiel 28 and ecxplain how the king of Tyre could have been the anointed cherub that covered or that he walked among the fiery stones of Eden and how he was perfect etc.

I submit on the language of the text alone that it cannot refer to a mere mortal man but to someone greater than man who fell into sin.

Upvote 0

freespirit2001

Contributor
Dec 3, 2003
Visit site
✟12,864.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
johnd said:
Evidence within the text pierces through the named king to the evil source behind the king. The king of Tyre most likely never heard of Eden.

I would like to further this discusion but I need more time to gather more information. I have seen the King of Tyre in reference to this article of gems that was in Eden as it is written in Genesis.

I find this a fascinating study myself:

I am not quite sure if there are other coincidences of this reference to "the foundation of the earth" in this passage of Job, in other parts of the bible:
:confused: (?):
[bible]Job 38:4[/bible]
I think by reasearching the meaning of what the Word of God says about the "THE FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD OR THE EARTH" :
"When the morning stars sang together..."Job 38:7

This "FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD" also appears here in these passages:
[bible]Isaiah 40:21[/bible]
[bible]Ephesians 1:4[/bible]
[bible]Matthew 13:35[/bible]
[bible]John 17:24[/bible]
[bible]1 Peter 1:20[/bible]
[bible]Revelation 13:8[/bible]
[bible]Zechariah 3:9[/bible]
[bible]Psalms 102:25[/bible]
[bible]Hebrews 1:10[/bible]
[bible]Matthew 25:34[/bible]
[bible]Luke 11:50[/bible]
[bible]Hebrews 4:3[/bible]
[bible]Hebrews 9:26[/bible]
[bible]Revelation 17:8[/bible]

This may then follow or it may not:
[bible]Zechariah 4:9[/bible]

PASSAGES ABOUT SIGNIFICANT STARS AND THE DIMENSIONS OF THEIR MEANING ( IN RELATION TO BRIGHT MORNING STARS):

Other stars are mentioned in Revelation, besides "the morning star" that is also offered to be given to us:
[bible]Revelation 2:28[/bible]
[bible]Revelation 1:19-20[/bible]
[bible]Revelation 2:1[/bible]
[bible]Revelation 3:1[/bible]

[IMO--- This is a very beautiful awareness about the prophesy of the Vision in the Word of God in Revelation---allegorically and metaphorically----(there is so many levels of dimension of meaning here too)---However, its as if as we become aware of the "stars" they are mentioned three times, then you do not hear of them again in all of revelation. ...its as if poetically (and perhaps as a message prophectially)---they "set" or disappear from the "horizons" of the main action of the story of John's Vision.]

I also think there may be a coincidence with the Vision of Zechariah with the book of Revelation, the Vision of St.John... of this "foundation of the earth" of the Lord and of the names written in connection with stars and with pillars:

THE LORD INSCRIBING NAMES IN A WHITE STONE, AND NAMES OF HIS CHOSEN ONES IN "PILLARS" IN THIS TEMPLE ALSO SEEM TO BE CLOSELY TIED (COINCIDENTAL) WITH THE MENTIONING OF THESES STARS IN HIS HAND:

Names mentioned and names written on pillars ( by the Lord Our God) appear to also be coincidental with the stars being mentioned,
and remembering the the fact the stars are signified as angels):

[bible]Revelation 2:17[/bible]
[bible]Revelation 3:12[/bible]

THE SYMBOLISM OF BEING BUILT TOGETHER AS NAMES OF A PILLAR:

[bible]1 Peter 2:4-10[/bible]

In Zechariah's Vision however, the stone is mentioned as having seven facets:
[bible]Zechariah 3:9[/bible]
In Revelation, the seven is associated with seven stars ( as seven angels),
[bible]Revelation 1:20[/bible]

...seven lampstands and seven churches and seven seals.

The ephod in Zechariah's Vision is a very sad vision to me, of this ephod leaving the earth:
[bible]Zechariah 5:9-11[/bible]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ebed-Yahweh

YAHWEH's Witness
Apr 9, 2004
Southern California
✟860.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The name Lucifer appears only once in the KJV Bible, in Isaiah 14:12. It is translated from the Hebrew word Helel (Hebrew dictionary of the Strong's Concordance entry #1966) which means, "shining one". This may be Satan's personal name, or it might be just another one of his titles (Satan itself is a title that means adversary, accuser, slanderer - Strong's # 7854)

While stars, morning stars, and sons of God (Bnai Elohim) are indeed titles given to celestials beings in the word of Yahweh God, The Morining Star is not a title of Satan. That is a lie spread by the NIV (Non-Inspired Version) and other such corrupted translations. Morning Star is a title given to Yahshua, the Son of Yahweh God in Revelation 22:16.

" I Yahshua have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

As I mentioned before, the name Helel in Hebrew (translated in the King James Version with the Latin name Lucifer, "lightbearer") means "shining one" in Hebrew, not "morning star" (again, see entry #1966 in the Hebrew dictionary of the Strong's Concordance).

Also, while Revelation 2:26-28 states:

"And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father. And I will give him the morning star."

This has been confused by the English translation, but the Greek actually uses different words in Rev 2:28 and Rev 22:16.

"The morning star" in 2:28 is proinos aster, while "the morning star" in 22:16 is orthrinos aster.

The following defintions are from the Greek dictionary of the Strong's Concordance:

3720 orthrinos - early in the morning
4407 proinos - early, pertaining to the morning

So, while these words are both close in meaning, there must be a significant difference in their implication, otherwise John would have just used the same word both times.

Upvote 0

shernren

Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
But you must go through the text in question in Ezekiel 28 and ecxplain how the king of Tyre could have been the anointed cherub that covered or that he walked among the fiery stones of Eden and how he was perfect etc.

Well, it could always be poetic license and imagery. You go through Ezekiel and you'll see that the whole book is completely out-of-this-world, from the first chapter right through to the last. He's, like, perpetually high. =D

Explain, since you believe that all this Eden stuff is literal:

1. Was Satan ever in Eden anyway? He was there as the serpent, but that can hardly correspond to the glowing imagery of him here.
2. With whom did Satan conduct "widespread trade" and "dishonest trade"? (v16) This corresponds much better to the image of Tyre as a wealthy trading nation.
3. When was Satan thrown to the earth, and before what "kings" was he made a spectacle? (v17) A lot of Christians who believe that this passage refers to Satan also believe that this fall happened before Genesis 1:2, in which case there was no earth for Satan to be thrown to, and no kings to be watching! (Angels are nowhere referred to in the Bible as "kings", are they? The closest being the demonic princes of Persia and Greece in Daniel.)
4. Has Satan been "consumed" and "reduced to ashes" or "come to an end" yet? (v18,19) This is more consistent with the image of Tyre being attacked, burnt and razed.
5. Which nations knew Satan before he fell? (v19) Furthermore doesn't the structure of the verse seem to imply that the nations are being appalled at the destruction of "one of their own" i.e. another nation, Tyre?

I prefer not reading into Scripture what I don't have to.

Upvote 0

bjh

Bible Student
Jul 28, 2003
St. Louis
Visit site
✟8,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ebed-Yahweh said:
The name Lucifer appears only once in the KJV Bible, in Isaiah 14:12. It is translated from the Hebrew word Helel (Hebrew dictionary of the Strong's Concordance entry #1966) which means, "shining one". This may be Satan's personal name, or it might be just another one of his titles (Satan itself is a title that means adversary, accuser, slanderer - Strong's # 7854)

Lucifer is a translation from the Hebrew, but into Latin, not into English. As a matter of fact, the word Lucifer appears not just once but 3x (the other two being Job 11:17 and 2 Peter 1:19).

So, my take on that is by 1611, the term Lucifer had become associated with Satan and it was left untranslated in Isaiah, but was translated in the other two instances, to avoid confusion.

Upvote 0

Ebed-Yahweh

YAHWEH's Witness
Apr 9, 2004
Southern California
✟860.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
bjh said:
Lucifer is a translation from the Hebrew, but into Latin, not into English. As a matter of fact, the word Lucifer appears not just once but 3x (the other two being Job 11:17 and 2 Peter 1:19).

So, my take on that is by 1611, the term Lucifer had become associated with Satan and it was left untranslated in Isaiah, but was translated in the other two instances, to avoid confusion.
'

Yes, Lucifer is Latin for "light-bearer".

KJV Job 11:17 And thine age shall be clearer than the noonday; thou shalt shine forth, thou shalt be as the morning.

But here the word "morning" is not translated from "helel" (shining one), but from "boqer" (morning, see the Hebrew dictionary of the Strong's Concordance entry # 1242).

KJV 2 Peter 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

Here "day star" is translated from "phosphoros". The defintion from the Strong's Greek dictionary follows:

5459 phosphoros, a. light-bearing; (n.) morning star.

So, phosphoros is defnitely a reference to the Son of Yahweh God, or Lord Yahshua HaMashiach. But note that Satan is never literally called "light bearer" or "morning star" in the original Greek or Hebrew. Lucifer is a misleading Latin translation of the Hebrew "Helel" (shining one).

Upvote 0

bjh

Bible Student
Jul 28, 2003
St. Louis
Visit site
✟8,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ebed-Yahweh said:
'

Yes, Lucifer is Latin for "light-bearer".

KJV Job 11:17 And thine age shall be clearer than the noonday; thou shalt shine forth, thou shalt be as the morning.

But here the word "morning" is not translated from "helel" (shining one), but from "boqer" (morning, see the Hebrew dictionary of the Strong's Concordance entry # 1242).

KJV 2 Peter 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

Here "day star" is translated from "phosphoros". The defintion from the Strong's Greek dictionary follows:

5459 phosphoros, a. light-bearing; (n.) morning star.

So, phosphoros is defnitely a reference to the Son of Yahweh God, or Lord Yahshua HaMashiach. But note that Satan is never literally called "light bearer" or "morning star" in the original Greek or Hebrew. Lucifer is a misleading Latin translation of the Hebrew "Helel" (shining one).

This makes sense. Also, if I remember correctly the Septuagint in Isaiah 14:12 doesn't use phosphoros but ἑωσφόρος (heosphoros). Not to detract from the original Hebrew, but just to note that it is a different word used. The latter word refers to "the bringer of morn, Latin for Lucifer, the Morning-star." (Liddell & Scott's Intermediate Greek Lexicon)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.