Which Bible Version is closest to the original Hebrew and Greek Texts?

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Most Scholars I know of claim either the NASB or the ESV.

The problem we have nowadays, though, is many people using the KJV as the standard, not the original texts. So it creates a lot of confusion.
Depends upon which Greek text used, as the really good ones are Kjv/Nkjv/Web/Nas

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The NASB and ESV are both great. They're both widely considered two of the most accurate translations.
Agreed for those who favor the Critical Greek text, and for those who favor TR, Nkjv also really good!

Reactions: MMDave3
Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Depends upon which Greek text used, as the really good ones are Kjv/Nkjv/Web/Nas

Times change. KJV was admirable in its time, but out dated now.

Better than some, but for serious hermeneutics it is inadequate.

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Times change. KJV was admirable in its time, but out dated now.

Better than some, but for serious hermeneutics it is inadequate.
True, but would see the Nkjv as being a really good version for those who like the Greek text that the Kjv was based upon. I prefer the Nas /Esv for serious bible studies.

Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The two best translations into English are the Douay Rheims, which was published before the KJV, and the Revised Standard Version-2nd Catholic Edition. These two are the most used by scholars and theologians in terms of English editions.

The official version of the Bible for the Catholic Church is the Latin Vulgate, 2nd Edition. All translations into any vernacular language must be as close as possible to the Latin Vulgate translated according to the principles of translation. One always loses some meaning when translating into any language. Thus, study of the Latin Vulgate and the Original Languages is necessary.

A good summary is found in the article, "Bible Translations Guide."

Also see a list and comments in the article, "Bible Versions and Commentaries."

Here are the official principles of translation set by the Vatican, "Liturgiam Authenticam" and a summary of that long document.

What happens when you believe the Latin vulgate was translated from corrupted manuscripts.. and all newer versions are translated from that..

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What happens when you believe the Latin vulgate was translated from corrupted manuscripts.. and all newer versions are translated from that..
Those scholars who would hold to them would be supporting critical textual criticism, denying full inspiration many times, and the conservative scholars would see to versions such as Nas/Esv as being better to use...

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Just because majority follow, doesn't make them right...that thinking is what took folks down the rabbit hole
The real truth is that there is a very high equivalence between the CT/MT/TR, and that there are no doctrines affected regardless of Greek text used!

Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I take the KJV translators over Westcott & Hort whose bias is quite evident and what was used by mostly the modern day translations any day of the week.

Westcott & Hort
WESTCOTT AND HORT ONLY CONTROVERSY

The Majority Text and the Original Text: Are They Identical?

Heresies and blasphemies of Wescott & Hort

Westcott and Hort

The Westcott and Hort Only Controversy

The Political & Occult Connections of Westcott & Hort

Hort and Westcott founded Ghost Society in England

Youtube video

Judge for yourselves which is what I did before settling on King James.

All modern translations come from this...

Niv removes blood too many times in scriptures..without Christ sacrificial blood where would we be?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I once had the opportunity to peruse a word for word translation in the exact same order. Much of what I read was almost totally incomprehensible.
The grammatical structure of Koine Greek is totally different from that of English. To be able to translate Greek into English, one has to be totally familiar with Greek and its sentence structure.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
It is interesting to note that in the days when thousands were converted to Christ, all they had was the Septuagint version of the Old Testament. This was at least two centuries before there was any canon of the New Testament, and then, it evolved into mostly Latin, put together by Jerome when he came up with the Latin Vulgate. Some of the earliest English translations were translations from the Latin, because that was all that was available. That didn't stop people getting converted to Christ.

• Agree
Reactions: BroIgnatius
Upvote 0

BroIgnatius

Deliverance Counselor, Apologist, Spiritual Dir
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2003
Just outside the State of Grace
Visit site
✟136,944.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others

What happens is this: Are you qualified to make this conclusion? What are your credentials that would make your mere opinion outrank the Church's official teaching over the last 1600 years (long before your denomination or christian group even existed?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0

MMDave3

Apr 9, 2018
Western New York State
✟25,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Agreed for those who favor the Critical Greek text, and for those who favor TR, Nkjv also really good!
That's why I ordered a copy of the NKJV, I wanted a Bible in contemporary English that used the TR. I'm pretty sure the NRSV I read uses the Critical Text. I was able to get a Thomas Nelson Premier Edition NKJV off of Amazon for $65, the sticker on that Bible is $149! I'm pretty excited.

EDIT: I'll add, I'm not enough of a scholar or expert to argue about which of the texts is better. I love the NRSV and am looking forward to reading the NKJV.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
All modern translations come from this...

Niv removes blood too many times in scriptures..without Christ sacrificial blood where would we be?
Actually, the Niv and the Nas reflect more surely the truth that Jesus is Lord and God than even the Kjv did!

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The grammatical structure of Koine Greek is totally different from that of English. To be able to translate Greek into English, one has to be totally familiar with Greek and its sentence structure.
Yes, as if one followed a strictly word for word, would end up with an Interlinear, and not that fun to read!

Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
That's why I ordered a copy of the NKJV, I wanted a Bible in contemporary English that used the TR. I'm pretty sure the NRSV I read uses the Critical Text. I was able to get a Thomas Nelson Premier Edition NKJV off of Amazon for $65, the sticker on that Bible is $149! I'm pretty excited.

EDIT: I'll add, I'm not enough of a scholar or expert to argue about which of the texts is better. I love the NRSV and am looking forward to reading the NKJV.
I think far more important then which Greek text used would be the philosophy of the translation team, as much prefer a more formal approach, such as by Nas and Nkjv!

Upvote 0