Which Bible Version is closest to the original Hebrew and Greek Texts?

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Okay. Good for you. Why do you trust only this translation? It is over 400 years old; a lot has happened since 1611. There are far more ancient manuscripts today than there were then and the meaning of a lot of the KJV's words are mistranslated and mean something different to today's English-speaking people. The art and science of translation has improved a lot in four centuries and even the KJV translators acknowledged that 1) the previous translations were God's word and 2) their translation was not the definitive word of God. Try reading the translators' introduction if you don't believe me.
The argument is the as for inerrancy. The moment we admit there can be errors, we can no longer have perfect certainty. God wouldn’t allow such a situation.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The argument is the as for inerrancy. The moment we admit there can be errors, we can no longer have perfect certainty. God wouldn’t allow such a situation.

Would you restate the first sentence?

=> No translation is perfect. <= The King James version is full of errors; modern translations are much better. Try reading the KJV translators' introduction. Once they get past lauding the king they state that no translation is perfect, including theirs. Do you disagree with them?

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Would you restate the first sentence?

=> No translation is perfect. <= The King James version is full of errors; modern translations are much better. Try reading the KJV translators' introduction. Once they get past lauding the king they state that no translation is perfect, including theirs. Do you disagree with them?
Probably I shouldn't have said anything, as KJV perfection isn't my view. I've read plenty of expositions of it though.

Upvote 0