Queensland
✟5,436.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello. I’m told there are some Greek speakers here.

Does anyone have insight about Revelation 9:21 which in most English translations is “sorcery” but when I look at a lexicon the word pharmakeia is the word is says is from the Greek.

To an English speaker the word pharmakeia obviously seems like the word pharmaceutical and that is also what it seems to mean. I even found a modern Greek bible online and pasted the text into google translate and it translated the word to “drugs”.

I can find very little online or in commentaries except that drugs were often used in connection with witchcraft. If that is the case, why was the word for drug used but not the word for witchcraft?

Was the modern Greek bible I found typical in that it used the word “drugs” and if so, do the Greeks have a different understanding of the verse than English speakers?

Do the Orthodox Church have a universal teaching on it?

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Does anyone have insight about Revelation 9:21 which in most English translations is “sorcery” but when I look at a lexicon the word pharmakeia is the word is says is from the Greek.

To an English speaker the word pharmakeia obviously seems like the word pharmaceutical and that is also what it seems to mean. I even found a modern Greek bible online and pasted the text into google translate and it translated the word to “drugs”.

I can find very little online or in commentaries except that drugs were often used in connection with witchcraft. If that is the case, why was the word for drug used but not the word for witchcraft?

Was the modern Greek bible I found typical in that it used the word “drugs” and if so, do the Greeks have a different understanding of the verse than English speakers?

Well you're right so far. The meaning of the word is in fact drugs. But it is in the context of hallucinogenic drugs meant to cause a trance that induces visions. Those visions are then passed off as prophecies. Probably the closest you'll find to it in modern times is the use by some of peyote, meant to cause the same types of visions. The translators of the King James Version of the bible chose to translate it as sorceries. It causes a lot of confusion.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

My understanding is that the drugs were hallucinogenic and were taken to elicit "dreams" and vivid images in their brains. Hence, witches, sorcerers, and others of the occult ilk would use them for that purpose.

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0