Detroit
✟7,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
How do we know which abominations are OK with YHWH, and which ones he finds abominable?

For example:

Leviticus 11:12 King James Version (KJV)

12 Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.

Eating shrimp is an abomination according to Leviticus.

Leviticus 18:22 King James Version (KJV)
22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

So is homosexuality according to Leviticus.

How do we know where to draw the line?

It depends on whether we're looking at it from a Judaism perspective or a Christian one. Given the name of the site, I'll assume the latter.

To be able to answer this question, you must first understand the difference between the former covenant (the law) and the present covenant (of faith); namely, that we are no longer under the Mosaic law (Romans 3:21) but under the law of faith (Romans 3:22). Hebrews 7:12 informs us that with a change of the priesthood (Jesus having become our High Priest forever by making atonement for our sins on the cross) comes a change also of the law. So, the short answer to this question is relatively simple: under the law, both were considered abominable. Under the law of faith (by Jesus Christ), only one is, namely, the second one.

In the first case, we see that dietary restrictions under the law were removed by God in Peter's vision in Acts the 10th and 11th chapter. Now the message of the vision was twofold: 1) God had cleansed all the creatures that were previously unclean according to the law; 2) Analogous to that, God had "cleansed" the Gentiles, whom the Jews were previously, under the law, forbidden to deal with unless God said otherwise (which happened in certain cases under the law), and therefore the Word could be brought to the Gentiles who, for the entirety of the 2000 year period that the law was in effect, God (and his people by extension) did not deal with (Deuteronomy 7:6-8).

The second case, as with the first, is revisited in the New Testament. In Romans 1:26-27, Paul describes homosexuality as a "vile affection". So, we see that, in this case, there is a carryover of the law. In fact, 1 Corinthians 6:9 includes the 'effeminate' (meaning, by definition "having feminine qualities untypical of a man : not manly in appearance or manner") in a list of those who will not inherit the kingdom of God.

So the line is this: we see many things in the law that were decried and outlawed by God, but when it comes to us presently living as Christians according to the law of faith, the law has been changed. In order to know what is and isn't sin or abomination according to God, we must consult the New Testament scriptures.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Will you be when the Kingdom is on earth as it is in heaven?
No. You’ll find me here.

And they sang a new song, saying,
“Worthy are You to take the book and to break its seals; for You were slain, and purchased for God with Your blood men from every tribe and tongue and people and nation.
— Revelation 5:9

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
No. You’ll find me here.

And they sang a new song, saying,
“Worthy are You to take the book and to break its seals; for You were slain, and purchased for God with Your blood men from every tribe and tongue and people and nation.
— Revelation 5:9

That's true, but you left out the next verse:

Revelation 5:10
"10 and madest them [to be] unto our God a kingdom and priests; and they reign upon earth."

What Kingdom is that?

You do remember this verse as well?:

Revelation 21:12
"12The city had a great and high wall with twelve gates inscribed with the names of the twelve tribes of Israel, and twelve angels at the gates."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
But if I return from the SHAMBLES with Turkey-bacon, and others feel it has been sacrificed to idols...

Oh, never mind, today grocery stores don't sell things that have been sacrificed to idols anyway.

Right, there shouldn't be anymore weak brothers...man up!

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Good work! Thank you for this contribution. I'm going to save this work to my files. It is well worthy of study.
Glad to be of service.

God bless.

• Friendly
Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
  • Winner
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Salvadore

Feb 2, 2020
Nashville
✟40,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
But if I return from the SHAMBLES with Turkey-bacon, and others feel it has been sacrificed to idols...

Oh, never mind, today grocery stores don't sell things that have been sacrificed to idols anyway.

Unless it is halal

• Agree
  • Useful
Reactions: Leet and Tone
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tra Phull

Ecumenical Loose Canon
Oct 24, 2019
Waco
✟45,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But I did not eat pork chops in front of any weaker brethren

In King James English, MEAT just meant FOOD

What we call MEAT might have been designated FLESH-MEAT

Also, I have never boiled a young goat in it's mother's milk

The real ABOMINATION to me is decaffeinated coffee

Upvote 0

Saint JOHN

May 5, 2017
Adelaide
✟20,848.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
1cor v 9 ¶ Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Gal 5 v 19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

MUST MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE HOLY SPIRIT.....(to combat these)...

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that "believe;" In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

most make all sorts of claims but Jesus made it clear !! ( in your face contact with GOD ) and all these are the identifiers of someone GOD has sealed ! NOT EXCUSES.(all of package deal)

Ro 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do we know which abominations are OK with YHWH, and which ones he finds abominable?

For example:

Leviticus 11:12 King James Version (KJV)

12 Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.

Eating shrimp is an abomination according to Leviticus.

Leviticus 18:22 King James Version (KJV)
22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

So is homosexuality according to Leviticus.

How do we know where to draw the line?
So is wearing mixed fabrics or cutting your hair, according to Leviticus. But we are not subject to levitical law.

Upvote 0