Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is a big difference between drone attacks that kill innocent civilians and a strategic attack that kills an Iranian general.

Noone actually believes this. There is a big difference between systemic racism and disproportional police brutality, imprisonment etc VS what is portrayed in the sentence above.

This is true. Some seek asylum, so not exactly illegal.

This is a very poorly constructed or poorly thought through statement.

Disproportionate police brutality? Depends on the make up of the high crime area. In poor white community's whites are the ones who have to deal with it.

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟272,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Nurses when trained to wear a mask for blocking flying pathogens such as blood are told to change the mask every 20 minutes.

No, they aren't.

My sister in law is a surgical scrub nurse. She will wear the same mask for the duration of an operation.
My wife is a surgeon. She will wear the same mask for the duration of the operation.

If they don't it poses a larger risk to their own health due to moisture build up and germs contaminating the mask.

Bovine. Fecal. Matter.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Every doctor I've spoken to agree that they are useless. Even my wife's heart doctor asked if we minded if she took off her mask as soon as she entered the room. She said and I quote "they don't work anyway"
Yes, masks are useless, making us wear them is part of some atheistic Marxist liberal conspiracy, sure. But what do atheistic Marxist liberals expect to gain by making us wear masks? That part is never clearly spelled out.

Upvote 0

Triumvirate

Oct 22, 2020
London
✟21,962.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I had an awkward talk with my father earlier. I rarely talk to him, between COVID-19 and also the fact politically we are like oil and water, and he's been blathering on more and more about politics lately, instead of more pleasant subjects.

But tonight he called and suggested I need to go out and update my passport because my old one was out of date (I have 4 years to renew it, though... so I'm baffled why it has to be done now, even though both me and my S.O. consider ourselves at higher risk from COVID). And then he started talking about how "You know, masks have been giving people strep infections and they really don't work... blah blah blah". And I just sort of rolled my eyes and wasn't willing to argue with him. But it's awkward because I don't want to have to confront my own dad and argue with him, but he's flat out wrong.

Just who is dealing in this kind of crazy disinformation? Where does it come from? Is there something in the drinking water that suddenly makes people gullible fools (if so, I'm glad mine is filtered)? Every time I talk to him, it's some new crazy thing he says. And it's getting old real fast- I'm just not one to want to argue with my own father, and my mother believes this stuff, too.

Older people more cooped up indoors than usual and on Facebook more, for the most part. There are other vectors, but that's definitely a big one.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Triumvirate

Oct 22, 2020
London
✟21,962.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yes, masks are useless, making us wear them is part of some atheistic Marxist liberal conspiracy, sure. But what do atheistic Marxist liberals expect to gain by making us wear masks? That part is never clearly spelled out.

Fools! Soon our plans to give a few people a bit of a strep throat, a far more serious condition than covid-19, will come to fruition!

Upvote 0

Triumvirate

Oct 22, 2020
London
✟21,962.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I do admit that was fairly bizarre stuff back then. Masks have been used in Asia for decades to help prevent the spread of disease, and they were also used during the 1918 Spanish Flu in the US (in some cases being mandated by law).

I can only guess it was a kind of myopia on the part of certain health experts. I started wearing masks for COVID well before the CDC advised them, due to past experience with doing so.

Initially, masks were not the least bit politicized. One passerby even came up to us (from a distance of course) and thanked us for wearing them.

P sure there is an element of social differences in medical professions here. Masks do not tend to benefit the wearer, they are only benefitted by others wearing mask.

As we've seen, getting people in some western countries to not be so individualistic and to think of people other than themselves and to wear a darn mask has been a bit of a challenge. Culturally, "wearing this will benefit others, but not yourself directly - unless everyone else does" was always going to be a harder sell for us.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
P sure there is an element of social differences in medical professions here. Masks do not tend to benefit the wearer, they are only benefitted by others wearing mask.

As we've seen, getting people in some western countries to not be so individualistic and to think of people other than themselves and to wear a darn mask has been a bit of a challenge. Culturally, "wearing this will benefit others, but not yourself directly - unless everyone else does" was always going to be a harder sell for us.

It does benefit yourself, though that is of secondary importance. The droplets are bigger than the fibers in the mask, and unless the seal of the mask is very poor, it will block some of the droplets. That's why nursing staff wear N95 masks around COVID-19 patients. If it didn't help protect nursing staff, they wouldn't bother. Nurses don't ordinarily wear masks around sick patients, after all.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
It does benefit yourself, though that is of secondary importance. The droplets are bigger than the fibers in the mask, and unless the seal of the mask is very poor, it will block some of the droplets. That's why nursing staff wear N95 masks around COVID-19 patients. If it didn't help protect nursing staff, they wouldn't bother. Nurses don't ordinarily wear masks around sick patients, after all.
No, you don't get it. It's not a question of relative effectiveness. Unless masks can be proven to be 100% effective in preventing contagion, then they are entirely useless and insisting on their being worn--or even strongly suggesting it--is clearly part of an anti-Christian conspiracy.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It's to calm the masses. I would do the same if it was my job. Doesn't mean everyone has to buy into it though.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
It's to calm the masses. I would do the same if it was my job. Doesn't mean everyone has to buy into it though.
So why is it being resisted so fiercely by the Right as a conspiracy and flouted so proudly by Trump supporters?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So why is it being resisted so fiercely by the Right as a conspiracy and flouted so proudly by Trump supporters?

Idk. I do know from all the ppe classes I've had to pay for over the years that osha wouldn't let me work an employee near a virus with only a surgical mask on. Respirators had to be worn to protect against a virus.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
There is a big difference between drone attacks that kill innocent civilians and a strategic attack that kills an Iranian general.

Innocent? You don't think they had evidence of planning terrorist attacks?

Noone actually believes this. There is a big difference between systemic racism and disproportional police brutality, imprisonment etc VS what is portrayed in the sentence above.

‘White Supremacy’ Once Meant David Duke and the Klan. Now It Refers to Much More.

Let's be clear....lots of people believe it....exactly as I worded it.

This is true. Some seek asylum, so not exactly illegal.

Asylum is for those fleeing government persecution. That's exactly what it was made for. If you think it's for poor people ...just say so.

This is a very poorly constructed or poorly thought through statement.

Feel free to explain.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,152,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's a good place to start, I suppose, but how do I specifically engage with a close family member who believes dangerous COVD-19 misinformation? I am afraid that if I confront them and refuse to agree with their wild claims (I did sort-of agree in a half-hearted way in the last phone-call "umm... ok...hmm" sort of thing), it will damage what little relationship I have left with them.
When an otherwise rational guy at our church at a recent outdoor fire circle claimed there had been some low number of Covid deaths (insert whatever very low number here, but his was 9,000 something), I didn't know what to say for a moment.

Then it cane to me. I said, "That would have to mean all the other countries, like Germany, U.K. and such are all making the same counting of deaths mistake?....."

He looked thoughtful, nodded after a bit, and said no more on it.

Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟247,332.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Innocent? You don't think they had evidence of planning terrorist attacks?
Drone strike - Wikipedia
"Between January 2012 and February 2013, U.S. special operations airstrikes [in northeastern Afghanistan] killed more than 200 people. Of those, only 35 were the intended targets. During one five-month period of the operation, according to the documents, nearly 90 percent of the people killed in airstrikes were not the intended targets

Upvote 0

stevil

Feb 5, 2011
✟247,332.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Feel free to explain.
It's like you are saying that since they are better off than where they came from then they shouldn't complain about systemic racism or police brutality on people of colour.

And you roll up the economic well being of the whole USA country, rather than focus on the economic well being of illegal immigrants of colour in USA. Maybe they are better off in some cases in some contexts and maybe they are worse off in others.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Drone strike - Wikipedia
"Between January 2012 and February 2013, U.S. special operations airstrikes [in northeastern Afghanistan] killed more than 200 people. Of those, only 35 were the intended targets. During one five-month period of the operation, according to the documents, nearly 90 percent of the people killed in airstrikes were not the intended targets

Not talking about wartime drone strikes....that's not an appropriate comparison as we aren't at war with Iran. We drop bombs that kill civilians in warzones all the time.

Talking about drone strikes against terrorist targets in nations we aren't at war with.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It's like you are saying that since they are better off than where they came from then they shouldn't complain about systemic racism or police brutality on people of colour.

If it was a complaint of "sometimes I experience racism"....I wouldn't be making this point.

As I already stated though...and I've provided evidence....the complaint is more like "this entire system has been designed with the intent of racial oppression".

And you roll up the economic well being of the whole USA country, rather than focus on the economic well being of illegal immigrants of colour in USA. Maybe they are better off in some cases in some contexts and maybe they are worse off in others.

Again, let's be real clear....millions of people are fleeing nations where they are the racial majority and they are desperately hoping to be allowed into nations that they are the racial minorities. They are hoping that they get accepted into nations both here, and in Europe, that are being called "white supremacist".

The only reasonable conclusion that I can make is that any disadvantages from being a racial minority in these nations is far far preferable to the reality of living anywhere else.

• Agree
Upvote 0

stevil

Feb 5, 2011
✟247,332.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
As I already stated though...and I've provided evidence....the complaint is more like "this entire system has been designed with the intent of racial oppression".
I don't accept this. I don't think there is any truth to it.
There is a big difference between systemic racism and a claim of "designed with the intent of racial oppression". That last phrase is nonsense.

The only reasonable conclusion that I can make is that any disadvantages from being a racial minority in these nations is far far preferable to the reality of living anywhere else.
Even if this is true. It still does not negate that USA can and should do better, should look to improve the plight of racial minorities, should look to address disproportionate police brutality etc.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Honestly, I shouldn't have to post examples
....the left has been loudly and repeatedly claiming that white men are the problem with this nation....in every way possible. I know that sounds super racist...but that's what the left believes nowadays. They believe there's something inherently wrong with white men.

We Had the Most Diverse Group of Candidates in History. Now It's Down to Two White Guys.

There's literally hundreds of articles complaining about voting for white men....all from the left. That's despite the fact that the same left believes people of color desperately want to live in a nation historically run by mostly white men.

How do you reconcile that? Are white men inherently bad for a nation? Or have they made objectively the best places to live for basically anyone?

• Useful
Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I had an awkward talk with my father earlier. I rarely talk to him, between COVID-19 and also the fact politically we are like oil and water, and he's been blathering on more and more about politics lately, instead of more pleasant subjects.

But tonight he called and suggested I need to go out and update my passport because my old one was out of date (I have 4 years to renew it, though... so I'm baffled why it has to be done now, even though both me and my S.O. consider ourselves at higher risk from COVID). And then he started talking about how "You know, masks have been giving people strep infections and they really don't work... blah blah blah". And I just sort of rolled my eyes and wasn't willing to argue with him. But it's awkward because I don't want to have to confront my own dad and argue with him, but he's flat out wrong.

Just who is dealing in this kind of crazy disinformation? Where does it come from? Is there something in the drinking water that suddenly makes people gullible fools (if so, I'm glad mine is filtered)? Every time I talk to him, it's some new crazy thing he says. And it's getting old real fast- I'm just not one to want to argue with my own father, and my mother believes this stuff, too.
Maybe your Dad is smarter than you think? Older people tend to have more wisdom about these issues.

Upvote 0