• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Where does this stuff come from?

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by FireDragon76, Oct 23, 2020.

1. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 this statement is not true Supporter

+12,710
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    I had an awkward talk with my father earlier. I rarely talk to him, between COVID-19 and also the fact politically we are like oil and water, and he's been blathering on more and more about politics lately, instead of more pleasant subjects.

But tonight he called and suggested I need to go out and update my passport because my old one was out of date (I have 4 years to renew it, though... so I'm baffled why it has to be done now, even though both me and my S.O. consider ourselves at higher risk from COVID). And then he started talking about how "You know, masks have been giving people strep infections and they really don't work... blah blah blah". And I just sort of rolled my eyes and wasn't willing to argue with him. But it's awkward because I don't want to have to confront my own dad and argue with him, but he's flat out wrong.

Just who is dealing in this kind of crazy disinformation? Where does it come from? Is there something in the drinking water that suddenly makes people gullible fools (if so, I'm glad mine is filtered)? Every time I talk to him, it's some new crazy thing he says. And it's getting old real fast- I'm just not one to want to argue with my own father, and my mother believes this stuff, too.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. DRCharles2911

DRCharles2911 New Member

+10
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Faucci and the surgeon general both have said masks are not effective.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Halbhh

Halbhh Everything You say is Life to me Supporter

+6,541
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    The conspiracy theory explosion is very noticeable isn't it.

The reason to create a false meme like claiming masks don't help us might be started by someone wishing to harm America. Or...the originator really might just be that out of touch with the real, completely caught up in a created fantasy worldview.

4. Pommer

Pommer Autodidact polymath

+2,757
    United States
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    At what?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. SeventyOne

SeventyOne Well-Known Member

+3,113
    United States
    Calvary Chapel
    Married
    Earlier in the year, you'd find it from sources like the CDC and the WHO. As things were more and more politicized, they started disappearing and being contradicted. Your parents aren't the odd one's in this particular situation.

6. Pommer

Pommer Autodidact polymath

+2,757
    United States
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat

“Masks≠100% protection? Then they’re 0% good!”, seems to be the “thinking”.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  7. Halbhh

+6,541
    United States
    Christian
    Married

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. SeventyOne

+3,113
    United States
    Calvary Chapel
    Married
    I've also had my doctor tell me the masks are useless, and a few weeks back, my wife's doctor told her the same thing during a visit. It's pretty obvious if one even things about it a bit.

9. DRCharles2911

DRCharles2911 New Member

+10
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Nurses when trained to wear a mask for blocking flying pathogens such as blood are told to change the mask every 20 minutes. If they don't it poses a larger risk to their own health due to moisture build up and germs contaminating the mask.

• List
  10. FireDragon76

+12,710
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    Masks are not useless. Studies in the past in Australia have shown they are effective at reducing flu virus transmission. Even simple surgical masks.

Face Mask Use and Control of Respiratory Virus Transmission in Households

• Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  11. SeventyOne

+3,113
    United States
    Calvary Chapel
    Married
    IF you go back and find reports like this one at the beginning of the outbreak, you'll find that the CDC and other doctors say things like the masks are not recommended at all for people who are not already sick. That was the common theme, then somewhere we went off the deep end into insanity.

12. SeventyOne

+3,113
    United States
    Calvary Chapel
    Married
  13. Kenny'sID

Kenny'sID Well-Known Member Supporter

+6,422
    Christian
    Single
    Its true that I'm not the one who has to listen to it, but this may be one of your typical c'est la vie things that you probably shouldnt concern yourself too much with.

14. FireDragon76

+12,710
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    They never said you couldn't wear masks, and actually in certain circumstances, they said you should (if you were sick).

Early on epidemiologists thought the virus was transmitted primarily through personal contact and fomites (surfaces and skin). As we learned more by becoming more acquainted, we learned the main method of infection was simply breathing in another person's breath, with fomites not being as important.

I've been wearing masks when we had illness in the house in the past, long before COVID-19. It really does work.

15. Speedwell

Speedwell Well-Known Member

+15,193
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married

Why "insanity?" Perhaps they just leaned more about the nature of this new disease and exactly how it is transmitted.

16. Halbhh

+6,541
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I totally sympathize.

I've experienced similar from older Fox News watchers.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  17. Aspzan

Aspzan Well-Known Member Supporter

+973
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    I don't entirely blame the world's governments but their consistent lying over the centuries has created a "boy who cried wolf" situation with the Covid pandemic imo.

18. FireDragon76

+12,710
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    I've been wearing the same mask every time I go for a walk for the past six months, and I've only sterilized it in alcohol once, and a few other times with UV light. I've never gotten sick and it still smells and looks mostly brand new.

I used to wear a mask all the time when I played airsoft or rode a motorcycle (cold air isn't very fun on the face). I never got sick from doing so.

Hospitals have stricter rules under ordinary circumstances because they are dealing with very ill patients and they need to act out of an abundance of caution and don't want to get sued. But that doesn't mean you can't wear a mask for extended periods of time, especially if the mask is cleaned when dirty.

19. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Well-Known Member

+16,828
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    You should find a better doctor.

20. FireDragon76

+12,710
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    I do admit that was fairly bizarre stuff back then. Masks have been used in Asia for decades to help prevent the spread of disease, and they were also used during the 1918 Spanish Flu in the US (in some cases being mandated by law).

I can only guess it was a kind of myopia on the part of certain health experts. I started wearing masks for COVID well before the CDC advised them, due to past experience with doing so.

Initially, masks were not the least bit politicized. One passerby even came up to us (from a distance of course) and thanked us for wearing them.