Where do you stand?

Where do you stand?

• I am a Calvinist (TULIP)

• I am an Arminian (FCURF)

• I am a four-point Calvinist (I reject "Limited Atonement")

• I am a four-point Arminian (I reject "Falling from Grace")

• Huh? Wilikers! I am undecided.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Today at 04:23 PM Defender of the Faith 777 said this in Post #162

And, has anyone "killed the flesh" here?

Please explain if you believe that you have.

It is flesh as in carnal thinking and then acting upon what we think. Scripture says, that we act upon what we allow our minds to think on.  We sin physically, because we thought about it first, but instead of casting down the thought we nurtured it.

As Christians, it is expected that we all are learning to kill the flesh.  It may not be ALL dead yet, but as we mature in Christ, we are to sin less and less.  

We are the one's with the authority, not our fleshly desires. 

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
9th February 2003 at 04:22 PM Defender of the Faith 777 said this in Post #152

OK, if we're still talking about the claim to have not sinned for three months, then I have a little more to say in response to new developments.

Fact: No one here actually believes that. Man, the disciples weren't able to do that from what we've seen.

Though we have been given a new heart and a new mind, sinning is still PRETTY easy. We may grieve and quench the Spirit. We may drive Him away on a small scale, but ultimately, we can never drive Him away completely.

We're very interested too. What was that sin you later fell into? I can't go an hour without thinking something wrong, or my mind drifting onto things that might seperate me from God. I may admire something temporarily more than God (such as hanging with friends, practicing a sport etc.) and so commandment two is in my violation constantly. I am angry. I lust. One will come by at least that often for me.

How you managed to not THINK something wrong for three months is beyond us. TTYL Jesus love syou!

A temporary thought is not a sin.  A lingering thought is.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
9th February 2003 at 09:43 PM Athlon4all said this in Post #156

unitedistand, yes we have all it takes to be holy while on this earth after we accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior. We are a new creation (II Cor 5:17), and Jesus told the disciples " Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father." (John 14:12) Yet, unfortunately we all know that we sin right? John himself reaffirms this in speaking to the bretheren in I John 1:8 "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us." We should be able to do the same works and more that Jesus did by the Holy Spirit, yet we limit the Spirit. This however does not effect our salvation because in the very next verse we are told that "if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Have is in the past.  If we say that we have no sin (in the past) we decieve ourselves. 

For the future we can work on having no sin. :clap: And I think SnuP already explained all that. 

Upvote 0

SnuP

A son of the Most High
Jul 22, 2002
Florida
Visit site
✟9,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Today at 12:50 PM Defender of the Faith 777 said this in Post #159

Christ Himself said that if you lust someone in your heart, then you are guilty of adultery. 

If you are angry with your brother, then you are guilty of violating the sixth commandment. 

Sermon on the mount, basic elementary verses.  That ought to clear it up. 

Man, I'm sorry, but it is my belief that you are NOT more righteous than the apostles or the disciples.  I don't know you, or them, but if I'm wrong, tell me you are more righteous than the apostle Paul.  Tell me you love Christ more than Peter did.  I think you've taken perseverance of the saints too far.  Sinning is still PRETTY easy.  Such claims of purity on the internet by strangers on forums is naturally not what we take seriously.  In all honesty, the OT prophets should have wrote about you.  If you did that, you're a hero to us all for having such power and authority over Satan.

I don't believe everything someone I don't know posts on the internet.  Forgive me for my lack of faith, but I do know Scripture to the point where refraining from sin is a struggle, and from personal experience in a walk with Christ, I'll tell you it's very difficult to go a day without sinning or harboring anger or lust. 

You know I used to have trouble understanding these scriptures too.  I remember in sunday school how the teacher would try to explain what they ment.  He would use examples of looking twice and what not.  But as I got older it became so obvious what they really ment.  After watching my coworkers and how they would act, I realized that Jesus was talking about intent. 

28But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Do you see the intent.  The man wanted to sin.  The same is true of the other scripture.  The man wanted to sin in his anger.  Anger it self is not sin, other wise Jesus was guilty.  Anger is an emotion, emotions are not sin.  What you desire to do with that emotion is sin.  Thoughts are not sin.  What you desire to do is where sin can come in.

Just for your info. I don't have a big problem with anger or lust.  It is very difficult to make me made.

I don't believe that the deciples had as much trouble with sin as you suggest.  I know what Romans says, but I believe that Paul was using his past experiences to show the power that God has to deliver us from the power of sin.  Don't you believe that God has the power to deliever us from sin and all of its power.  I personally believe that most of the apostles were so delievered from sin that they spent years without it.  And I find no scripture that contidicts this belief.  If you have one please share it.

I don't believe that I am more righteous then the apostles.  In fact I believe that it has nothing to do with my righteousness.  It is really a byproduct of God's righteousness being allowed to be released in me.

I have a question for you.  Why are you making this so personal?

Upvote 0

linda4jesus

Are you Rapture Ready?
Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
✟424.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Today at 09:17 PM Terri said this in Post #168 (http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=647795#post647795)

Where do you stand?

On the WORD OF GOD!!   ;) 

Why would anyone want to stand anywhere else!  :p

Terri

I stand FIRMLY on the WORD OF GOD! His Word is my final authority.

John 1:1-5 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

Philippians 2:9-11 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above very name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Acts 4:12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.

2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness

1 John 4:1-3 Dear friends, do not believe everyone who claims to speak by the Spirit. You must test them to see if the spirit they have comes from God. For there are many false prophets in the world. This is the way to find out if they have the Spirit of God: If a prophet acknowledges that Jesus Christ became a human being, that person has the Spirit of God. If a prophet does not acknowledge Jesus, that person is not from God. Such a person has the spirit of the Antichrist. You have heard that he is going to come into the world, and he is already here.

Upvote 0

Terri

Senior Veteran
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
✟20,061.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yesterday at 09:54 PM linda4jesus said this in Post #169

Terri

I stand FIRMLY on the WORD OF GOD! His Word is my final authority.

John 1:1-5 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

Philippians 2:9-11 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above very name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Acts 4:12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.

2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness

1 John 4:1-3 Dear friends, do not believe everyone who claims to speak by the Spirit. You must test them to see if the spirit they have comes from God. For there are many false prophets in the world. This is the way to find out if they have the Spirit of God: If a prophet acknowledges that Jesus Christ became a human being, that person has the Spirit of God. If a prophet does not acknowledge Jesus, that person is not from God. Such a person has the spirit of the Antichrist. You have heard that he is going to come into the world, and he is already here.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Glad to hear you are standing right there beside me Sis!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JesusServant

do not stray too far left nor right but CENTER
Dec 5, 2002
✟19,768.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Of course we are going to stumble, but we must brush ourselves off and keep on trudging for the finish line....

From the very beginning we see that sin is what we are to overcome.  God is teaching us about sin and evil and how we must overcome it.  No, we cannot do it alone, but we can do it.

(Genesis 4:7) If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee [shall be] his desire, and thou shalt rule over him. (KJV)

We must overcome sin, it is our enemy even moreso than satan.  If we continue in sin and let sin rule our lives then we will become like satan himself. 

(Matthew 5:48) Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Jesus wants us to be perfect.

(Luke 6:40) The disciple is not above his master, but everyone who is perfect shall be like his master.

Do we think we are special and don't have to be like our master and reach perfection?

Of course everyone has sinned and has sin in them.  Your rebirth and the birthing of Christ in you is the beginning of your perfection.  I believe we are being taught and perfected day by day.  If we are getting worse and living in sin then how are we christlike (that's the meaning of Christian - christlike)?  Of course you'll make mistakes and stumble but don't let it drag you back into sin.  We must rise above it and conquer it with the guiding of the Holy Spirit.

Our greatest enemy is sin folks and I don't think enough preachers/evangelists/priests preach this message of holiness today.  We are not better than our master and we must not live in sin right?

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Today at 01:21 PM Defender of the Faith 777 said this in Post #172

In all honesty, I suppose it might be getting personal, but the claim you first made was as well. So this is merely on the same course.

What? :scratch:  Sorry, I don't understand what you're replying to or saying.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SnuP

A son of the Most High
Jul 22, 2002
Florida
Visit site
✟9,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Today at 12:21 PM Defender of the Faith 777 said this in Post #172

In all honesty, I suppose it might be getting personal, but the claim you first made was as well. So this is merely on the same course.

there is a difference between someone taking offence and someone using their personal testimony to show the goodness of God and how much His power can affect our lives.

Upvote 0

SnuP

A son of the Most High
Jul 22, 2002
Florida
Visit site
✟9,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Today at 01:38 PM Terri said this in Post #176

:wave:

Could someone tell me what the argument is about so I can join in! ;)

I made the statement that I went three months without sinning, due to an intence desire to touch God.  This is the reason for the debate.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.