When were the Keys of the Kingdom of Heaven used by Peter ?

readywriter

May 4, 2010
UK
✟69,130.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When you literally read how Acts 15 went down, as recorded by Luke. Peter actually stated this:

11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

A literal reading will tell you that Peter is actually saying that he wants the Jews (we), from then on, to be saved, as a Gentile (they).

This is very significant because under the Law of Moses, Gentiles could be saved, but only as a Jew. Exodus 12:48 sums that up well.

And when a stranger shall sojourn with thee, and will keep the passover to the LORD, let all his males be circumcised, and then let him come near and keep it; and he shall be as one that is born in the land: for no uncircumcised person shall eat thereof.

So when Peter announced that, it was of huge significance to all the Jews who heard him during the Council.

But alas, James intervened before it could take root, and he did his final announcement that

19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:

James, in my reading, deftly changed Peter's proclamation about how Jews and Gentiles are now to turn to God, into just the Gentiles

And Acts 21 confirmed it, especially in v20

...Thou seest, brother, how many thousands of Jews there are which believe; and they are all zealous of the law

With this, you can understand why Peter would be afraid of the "men from James".
'And when there had been much disputing,
Peter rose up, and said unto them,
Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago
God made choice among us,
that the Gentiles by my mouth
should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.
And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness,
giving them the Holy Ghost, even as He did unto us;
And put no difference between us and them,
purifying their hearts by faith.
Now therefore why tempt ye God,
to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples,
which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
But we believe
that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ
we shall be saved, even as they.'

(Act 15:7-11)

Hello @Guojing,

Interesting. Thank you for replying. :)

The words, 'But we believe' in verse 11, is stating a corporate belief, held, since the occasion of Acts 10 and known by the brethren to whom He was speaking, it is not being introduced as something new to them.

Salvation was not sent to the Gentiles until (Acts of the Apostles 28:28 ). Until then it was of the Jew (John 4:22), and gentiles were grafted into the Olive tree of Israel, in order to make them jealous, that they would seek to emulate them (Romans 11:14), that they too may draw on the millennial blessings that the gentile believers were enjoying in the form of spiritual gifts and graces.

The words of James do not interfere with what Peter said, concerning salvation being by grace through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, and not of works: but James lists the required behaviour, of those grafted into Israel's olive tree. There was no objection raised by Peter, and it was received by the believers at Antioch as a much needed consolation (Acts of the Apostles 15:31).

This period covered by the book of the Acts is a time of transition, and of adjustment for both believing Jew and Gentile.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟218,042.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
'And when there had been much disputing,
Peter rose up, and said unto them,
Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago
God made choice among us,
that the Gentiles by my mouth
should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.
And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness,
giving them the Holy Ghost, even as He did unto us;
And put no difference between us and them,
purifying their hearts by faith.
Now therefore why tempt ye God,
to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples,
which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
But we believe
that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ
we shall be saved, even as they.'

(Act 15:7-11)

Hello @Guojing,

Interesting. Thank you for replying. :)

The words, 'But we believe' in verse 11, is stating a corporate belief, held, since the occasion of Acts 10 and known by the brethren to whom He was speaking, it is not being introduced as something new to them.

Salvation was not sent to the Gentiles until (Acts of the Apostles 28:28 ). Until then it was of the Jew (John 4:22), and gentiles were grafted into the Olive tree of Israel, in order to make them jealous, that they would seek to emulate them (Romans 11:14), that they too may draw on the millennial blessings that the gentile believers were enjoying in the form of spiritual gifts and graces.

The words of James do not interfere with what Peter said, concerning salvation being by grace through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, and not of works: but James lists the required behaviour, of those grafted into Israel's olive tree. There was no objection raised by Peter, and it was received by the believers at Antioch as a much needed consolation (Acts of the Apostles 15:31).

This period covered by the book of the Acts is a time of transition, and of adjustment for both believing Jew and Gentile.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Would you agree that, at the end of the council, James only stated that gentiles who believe are to be excused from the law of Moses?

Jews who believe must continue to keep the law. That is confirmed by the account in acts 21:18-25.

Upvote 0

readywriter

May 4, 2010
UK
✟69,130.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Would you agree that, at the end of the council, James only stated that gentiles who believe are to be excused from the law of Moses?

Jews who believe must continue to keep the law. That is confirmed by the account in acts 21:18-25.
Hello @Guojing,

It is good to realise that, the decision arrived at, though spoken by James, 'seemed good' to both the 'Apostles', 'Elder's, 'The whole Church', and to 'The Holy Spirit' (see Acts 15:22-29), so this was not a decision of James only. The desire was to lay no burden upon the Gentile believers, other than those things stipulated. Those things being such which would have not only greatly hindered fellowship between the believing Jews and Gentiles, but caused great offence. To the Hebrew believer the presence of such practices would have been abhorrent: and would therefore have hindered the advancement of the Gospel.

Both Peter, James and Paul also were conscious of their responsibility towards those under their care and sought to consider their welfare in regard to conscience and peace of mind. These points were minor, in contrast with Justification by faith, and salvation by grace, but important in regard to the weaker consciences among believers. They had the congregation of the whole believing community to consider, and sought to do what was right for all, in the sight of God.

@Guojing said:-
Paul had never taught the Jew to 'forsake Moses' in the sense that his adversaries alleged: neither had he said that they ought not to circumcise their children, but much of his teaching could easily be so misrepresented as to convince the zealot of the law that he was a most dangerous heretic. It was in the knowledge of these misrepresentations that James tells Paul of those among them who were zealous of the law, and advised him to take certain steps to appease them. It was the furtherance of the gospel which was important and not the externals.

The book of Acts records the adjustment taking place between believing Jew and Gentile and the wisdom from above that was required by these Apostles to walk the line between what was vital, and what was mere external and in the throes of change, for the sake of the weaker conscience (1 Corinthians 10:28; Romans 14) .

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟218,042.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Guojing,

It was in the knowledge of these misrepresentations that James tells Paul of those among them who were zealous of the law, and advised him to take certain steps to appease them. It was the furtherance of the gospel which was important and not the externals.

The book of Acts records the adjustment taking place between believing Jew and Gentile and the wisdom from above that was required by these Apostles to walk the line between what was vital, and what was mere external and in the throes of change, for the sake of the weaker conscience (1 Corinthians 10:28; Romans 14) .

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

So are you saying that you believe James also agrees with Paul that Galatians 5:2 is correct, but he wanted Paul to "take certain steps to appease" the Jewish brethren who are zealous for the Law (Acts 21:20).

James also agree with Paul that these steps were "mere external and in the throes of change"?

Upvote 0

readywriter

May 4, 2010
UK
✟69,130.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So are you saying that you believe James also agrees with Paul that Galatians 5:2 is correct, but he wanted Paul to "take certain steps to appease" the Jewish brethren who are zealous for the Law (Acts 21:20).

James also agree with Paul that these steps were "mere external and in the throes of change"?
Hello @Guoling,

Did I say that in reply#23 or any other response of mine? No I did not.

o_O

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟218,042.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Guoling,

Did I say that in reply#23 or any other response of mine? No I did not.

o_O

You were replying to my post where I used the exchange between Paul and James/the elders in Acts 21:18-25.

I am asking for you to clarify your views, by using some quotes from your post.

When you use those words that seem to be about the interaction between James and Paul in Acts 21:18-25, what exactly do you mean?

If I did not understand you correctly, could you clarify?

Upvote 0

readywriter

May 4, 2010
UK
✟69,130.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You were replying to my post where I used the exchange between Paul and James/the elders in Acts 21:18-25.

I am asking for you to clarify your views, by using some quotes from your post.

When you use those words that seem to be about the interaction between James and Paul in Acts 21:18-25, what exactly do you mean?

If I did not understand you correctly, could you clarify?
Readywriter said in reply#23
The book of Acts records the adjustment taking place between believing Jew and Gentile and the wisdom from above that was required by these Apostles to walk the line between what was vital, and what was mere external and in the throes of change, for the sake of the weaker conscience () .
'Thou seest, brother,
how many thousands of Jews there are which believe;
and they are all zealous of the law:
And they are informed of thee,
that thou teachest all the Jews
which are among the Gentiles
to forsake Moses,
saying that they ought not to circumcise their children,
neither to walk after the customs.
What is it therefore?
the multitude must needs come together:
for they will hear that thou art come.
Do therefore this that we say to thee: ... '

(Act 21:20)

Hello @Guojing,

In Acts 21:18-25, James tells Paul that there were many thousands of Jews there (in Jerusalem) which believed, and they were all zealous of the law. They had been informed that Paul taught the Jews who were living among the gentiles 'to forsake Moses' by not circumcising their children for example, and not walking according to the customs they had been taught. These believing Jews would be coming together to hear Paul, and therefore James advised Paul to take certain actions which would allay their fears, and prove the reports wrong. Showing that He, Paul walked in an orderly manner and kept the law in regard to custom and manner of life. Obviously fearing what the outcome would be otherwise. For we read in the following verses that strife was engendered against Paul anyway, by Jews which were from Asia.

The epistles of Paul written during this transitional period, record that he, like James, was careful in regard to the individual consciences of the believing Jews, living among the Gentiles. That their customs and law keeping be respected. It was not a requirement for salvation, neither was it a requirement for righteousness, but it was a national requirement in keeping with the covenant made by God with Israel at Sinai, which they were obliged to keep.

I hope this rather inadequate response, done in haste, is sufficient for you to see where I am coming from.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Upvote 0

readywriter

May 4, 2010
UK
✟69,130.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Subject heading:- 'When were the Keys of the Kingdom of Heaven used by Peter ?'
'And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven:
and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven:
and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.'

(Mat 16:19)

Hello @Maria Billingsley,
I like the way you have structured your response. :)
Question for all , when did this happen ??
When they received His Holy Spirit, the Day of Pentecost.
When the Holy Spirit was given to them all, not just Peter.
* So you believe that Peter received, 'the keys of the kingdom of heaven,' when the Holy Spirit was given at Pentecost. Yes? He exercised those Keys during Pentecost, so yes, I guess you are right.
Maria Billingsley said:-
What does the Kingdom of Heaven mean ?
It is aka the Kingdom of God where Jesus Christ is King and we, Christians, are His subjects. This is the The Body of Christ.
* It is the kingdom which is of Heaven, which is of God, I agree. Of which the Lord Jesus Christ is King, yes. The Kingdom of God is an all covering title covering all the various callings within God's plan and purpose. Whereas Christ is the Head of the Church which is His Body.
What did Peter BIND or when did Peter LOOSE ?
All authority was given to the Apostles. What is already bound in heaven will be bound on earth and what is already loose in heaven will be loose on earth.
* Laws and precepts. I would like to give examples, but my mind is a blank where this is concerned at the moment. o_O
When were these Keys of the Kingdom of Heaven used, during Peter's ministry ?
It was given to all the Apostles from the time of Pentecost to their death. Keys are used symbolically.
* The keys of the Kingdom were verbally assigned to Peter (Matthew 16:19), who had responded to the Lord's question to them all, 'But whom say ye that I am', with the divinely revealed truth, 'Thou art the Christ, the Son of the Living God.' Which was the truth upon which the Lord said He would build His Church. The Keys were exercised by Peter in Acts 2 and Acts 10. The other Apostles were also given the authority and power to 'bind' and 'loose', but not 'the keys of the Kingdom'. (Matthew 18:18 )
Why was Paul not given the same Keys ?
This is not correct. He was given the same authority as the rest of the Apostles. They are the foundation and Jesus Christ of Nazareth is the Chief Cornerstone.
* Unlike the Twelve, Paul's ministry was not that of those, who are referred to as them, 'who heard Him' - the Lord Jesus Christ (Hebrews 2:3-4). Paul was equipped, yes, having the power and authority that being a 'called Apostle' brought with it: but we are not told that he had the power to 'bind' and 'loose': but then his ministry was to 'far off' Gentiles, and not to the Jews, who were the ones who were bound by laws: laws which the Gentile had no knowledge of. Only the law of conscience shared by all mankind.
I do see two programs here , one of CIRCUMCISION , which is Peter's ministry !
Circumcision of the heart.
And one , called UNCIRCUMCISION for Paul , that is written in Gal 2:7 .
The heart only.
* Two ministries:- 'The gospel of the Circumcision' was committed to Peter, and 'The gospel of the Un-circumcision' to Paul, yes.

* Thank you :)
In Christ Jesus
our risen and glorified
Saviour, Lord and Head.
Chris

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟218,042.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
'

he epistles of Paul written during this transitional period, record that he, like James, was careful in regard to the individual consciences of the believing Jews, living among the Gentiles. That their customs and law keeping be respected. It was not a requirement for salvation, neither was it a requirement for righteousness, but it was a national requirement in keeping with the covenant made by God with Israel at Sinai, which they were obliged to keep.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Circumcision was actually way before the Law was given at Mount Sinai.

It was first commanded to Abraham and his physical descendants in Genesis 17:14

14 And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant.

Salvation for Israel is linked to the nation, it was a corporate salvation for them. If a Jew is cut off from Israel, he would have no hope of salvation (Acts 3:23, Hebrews 8:8-12 etc)

Its very easy for us gentiles to think that, for them, physical circumcision "was not a requirement for salvation, neither was it a requirement for righteousness" but I can promise you none of those Jewish believers who were zealous for the Law will think the same way.

Can you now understand why some of those zealous Jewish believers (Acts 21:20) will be upset with Paul for preaching Galatians 5:2 so strongly to the gentiles, until other Jews also took that teaching to heart?

• Agree
Reactions: readywriter
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Question for all , when did this happen ??
When the Holy Spirit was given to them all, not just Peter.

What does the Kingdom of Heaven mean ?
It is aka the Kingdom of God where Jesus Christ is King and we, Christians, are His subjects. This is the The Body of Christ.

What did Peter BIND or when did Peter LOOSE ?
All authority was given to the Apostels. What is already bound in heaven will be bound on earth and what is already loose in heaven will be loose on earth.

And when did it Happen ??
When they recieved His Holy Spirit, the Day of Pentecost.

When were these Keys of the Kingdom of Heaven used n, during Peter's ministry ?
It was given to all the Apostels from the time of Pentecost to their death. Keys are used symbolically.

Why was Paul not given the same Keys ?
This is not correct. He was given the same authority as the rest of the Apostles. They are the foundation and Jesus Christ of Nazareth is the Chief Cornerstone.

I do see two programs here , one of CIRCUMCISION , which is Peter's ministry !
Circumcision of the heart.

And one , called UNCIRCUMCISION for Paul , that is written in Gal 2:7 .
The heart only.

And why should anyone say that the BODY OF CHRIST here in in Acts with Peter , is nhard to understand , since the BODY OF CHRIST was NOT in existence at that time .

In Acts 3: 13-19 , is Peter is using the KEYS TO THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN and in verse 19 , that Israel should REPENT , so that the times of refreshing may come from the face of the Lord .

And if Israel should REPENT , then Peter says in verse 20 and He may send Jesus Christ , the one having been proclaimed BEFORE TO YOU , and this would have been the LOOSING .

dan p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And why should anyone say that the BODY OF CHRIST here in in Acts with Peter , is nhard to understand , since the BODY OF CHRIST was NOT in existence at that time .

In Acts 3: 13-19 , is Peter is using the KEYS TO THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN and in verse 19 , that Israel should REPENT , so that the times of refreshing may come from the face of the Lord .

And if Israel should REPENT , then Peter says in verse 20 and He may send Jesus Christ , the one having been proclaimed BEFORE TO YOU , and this would have been the LOOSING .

dan p
The Body of Christ is made of the faithful remnant, Abraham and others, as well as believing Jews and Gentiles. Israel is now The Body of Christ.
You can read Paul's words when he attempted to explain it to the Romans.

Romans 11:16-24
16 For if the firstfruit is holy, the lump is also holy; and if the root is holy, so are the branches. 17 And if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive tree, were grafted in among them, and with them became a partaker of the root and fatness of the olive tree, 18 do not boast against the branches. But if you do boast, remember that you do not support the root, but the root supports you.

19 You will say then, “Branches were broken off that I might be grafted in.” 20 Well said. Because of unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by faith. Do not be haughty, but fear. 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare you either. 22 Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off. 23 And they also, if they do not continue in unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again. 24 For if you were cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and were grafted contrary to nature into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these, who are natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree?

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟218,042.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Body of Christ is made of the faithful remnant, Abraham and others, as well as believing Jews and Gentiles. Israel is now The Body of Christ.

Since you believe that Israel is now the Body of Christ, do you think there will still be a 7 year tribulation called "Jacob's trouble"?

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since you believe that Israel is now the Body of Christ, do you think there will still be a 7 year tribulation called "Jacob's trouble"?
No I do not. I am not a Dispensational Futurist. I am partial Preterist.
Blessings.

• Friendly
Reactions: Guojing
Upvote 0

readywriter

May 4, 2010
UK
✟69,130.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

dan p
Hello @Dan Perez,

The Church which is the Body of Christ, as you say, did not come into existence until Paul received the revelation from God concerning it, which he made known in his later epistles, ie., Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus and Philemon.

* I would like to know why you believe that the authority to 'loose' would have been operational should Israel have come to repentance, as promised in Acts 3:19-21, and Christ return? Why do you believe so?

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Upvote 0

readywriter

May 4, 2010
UK
✟69,130.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Maria Billingsley,

I find these terms so confusing. What is a 'Dispensational Futurist', and a 'Partial Preterist' ?

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris
Oh my apologies. They are theological views. Maybe when you get a chance, information on both are readily available online.
Blessings

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Dan Perez,

The Church which is the Body of Christ, as you say, did not come into existence until Paul received the revelation from God concerning it, which he made known in his later epistles, ie., Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus and Philemon.

* I would like to know why you believe that the authority to 'loose' would have been operational should Israel have come to repentance, as promised in Acts 3:19-21, and Christ return? Why do you believe so?

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

And it should be obvious that the BODY OF CHRIST was NOT known OR seen , until Paul revealed it to us all , in Eph 3:1--9 and Peter never preached the GOSPEL of GRACE .

The BINDING happened in Acts 18:27 and 28 , and Israel was SET ASIDE until Christ saves them as Paul wrote in Rom 11:26 , so how do you prove how you were saved ??

Most people who say that they are SAVED , point to baptism or tongues or keeping the 10 commandments to show how they were saved , where I say we are saved by Grace , what say you ??

dan p

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟218,042.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0