Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The book of John 20:19-23 says that the disciples can REMITT SIN ?

In verse 22 , Jesus breaths on the disciple and saith to them receive ye HOLY SPIRIT .

In verse 23 , whose sins ye REMITT , they are REMITTED unto them ;

and whose soever (( sins )) ye Retain , they are RETAINED .

How did the disciple REMIT SINS ??

dan p

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟381,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Luke goes into more detail concerning what Jesus actually meant.

Luke 24:45-49 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures, And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behooved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. And ye are witnesses of these things. And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.

The context then becomes clear under the context of the great commission.

Matthew 28:18-20 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.​

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Luke goes into more detail concerning what Jesus actually meant.

Luke 24:45-49 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures, And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behooved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. And ye are witnesses of these things. And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.

The context then becomes clear under the context of the great commission.

Matthew 28:18-20 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.​
This is what verses explain how the disciples REMITTED SIN .

#2 First it only happened ONE TIME ONLY .

# 3 Acts 2 is the only chapter that explains , it !

#4 As the nation of Israel REJECTED their Messiah .

# 5 This does not apply to the BODY OF CHRIST at all .

# 6 But there are some today that claim to forgive SINS even today /

dan p

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

In verse 22 , Jesus breaths on the disciple and saith to them receive ye HOLY SPIRIT .

dan p
Neither the apostles nor Paul ever hinted that they had the power to forgive sin. That belongs to God (i.e., Jesus) only (John 5:22). Here, Jesus gave to his Church, including all believers, the authority to assure hearers that they will be saved or lost according to their response to the Gospel that is shared with them.

At pentecost a powerful gift given by the Holy Spirit was the ability to speak in various known languages .... for the purpose of spreading the gospel. This powerful occurrence no doubt increased faith, wisdom and all other gifts of the Spirit.

Forgiveness unto salvation is totally up to Jesus and we all know that.

We indeed are to forgive repentant sinners, while knowing only Jesus can forgive unto salvation.

Forgiving a repentant sinner does not mean we have the ability to forgive sins unto salvation.

We are not to judge ... if we do not forgive the repentant sinner we are placing ourselves in the judgement seat ... judgement is entirely up to Jesus.

Perhaps a look at the lexicon will shed more light

John 20:23 Lexicon: "If you forgive the sins of any, their sins have been forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they have been retained."

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

dan p
-
This is for all believers in relation to forgiveness of sins in a experiential (fellowship) forgiveness. If you forgive others God will forgive you, if a person sins against the believe and does not repent. Then the believer is not to forgive them, they are to retain the sins

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
-
This is for all believers in relation to forgiveness of sins in a experiential (fellowship) forgiveness. If you forgive others God will forgive you, if a person sins against the believe and does not repent. Then the believer is not to forgive them, they are to retain the sins
But in John 20:21 as my Father has sent me , even so I send you .

They were sent to the nation of Israel to repent of killing Christ and they NEVER REPENTED , so there SINS were never REMITTED .

Read Acts 2:38 is the proof that the Nation of Israel refused to REPENT and then Israel was set aside and Acts 28:25-28 !!

dan p

Upvote 0