When were the Keys of the Kingdom of Heaven used by Peter ?

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And in Matt 16:19 , read, And I will give unto thee ( Peter in verse 18 ) the Keys of the Kingdom of Heaven , and what soever thou shalt BIND on Earth shall be bound in Heaven and what soever thou shall Loose on Earth shall be Loosed in Heaven >

Question for all , when did this happen ??

What does the Kingdom of Heaven mean ?

What did Peter BIND or when did Peter LOOSE ?

And when did it Happen ??

When were these Keys of the Kingdom of Heaven used , during Peter's ministry ?

Why was Paul not given the same Keys ?

I do see two programs here , one of CIRCUMCISION , which is Peter's ministry !

And one , called UNCIRCUMCISION for Paul , that is written in Gal 2:7 .

dan p

Last edited:

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
And in Matt 16:19 , read, And I will give unto thee ( Peter in verse 18 ) the Keys of the Kingdom of Heaven , and what soever thou shalt BIND on Earth shall be bound in Heaven and what soever thou shall Loose on Earth shall be Loosed in Heaven >

When were these Keys of the Kingdom of Heaven used n, during Peter's ministry ?

dan p

Peter used the "keys to the kingdom" every time he baptized anyone. He brought them into the kingdom. That also placed Peter in a position of primacy among the apostles. As to "binding and loosing" it is an authority granted to all of the apostles, see Matt 18:15-20.

To "bind and loose" is to make decisions for the Church. The first exercise of that authority was the Council of Jerusalem at Acts 15 where the apostles determined that gentiles need not be circumcised. Note that once the decision had been made "on earth" it was also confirmed "in heaven". That authority has been passed down through the successors to the apostles and has been exercised through the Ecumenical Councils.

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Peter used the "keys to the kingdom" every time he baptized anyone. He brought them into the kingdom. That also placed Peter in a position of primacy among the apostles. As to "binding and loosing" it is an authority granted to all of the apostles, see Matt 18:15-20.

To "bind and loose" is to make decisions for the Church. The first exercise of that authority was the Council of Jerusalem at Acts 15 where the apostles determined that gentiles need not be circumcised. Note that once the decision had been made "on earth" it was also confirmed "in heaven". That authority has been passed down through the successors to the apostles and has been exercised through the Ecumenical Councils.

An

And you do have a verse that shows that there were successors ??

And is Eph 4:11 , that the gift of Apostles , and Prophets , and Evangelist and Pastors and Teachers .

Does this mean that Paul and that are chosen by Christ , can BIND and LOOSE ?

dan p

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
An

And you do have a verse that shows that there were successors ??

And is Eph 4:11 , that the gift of Apostles , and Prophets , and Evangelist and Pastors and Teachers .

Does this mean that Paul and that are chosen by Christ , can BIND and LOOSE ?

dan p

Timothy is identified as a successor:

1Ti 4:14 Do not neglect the gift that is in you, which was given to you by prophecy with the laying on of the hands of the eldership.

The "laying of hands" comes from Judaism, and is an act of conveying authority. It's known as semikah. Bishops and deacons were granted their authority by the same means:

Phl 1:1 Paul and Timothy, bondservants of Jesus Christ, To all the saints in Christ Jesus who are in Philippi, with the bishops and deacons:

The apostles chosen by Christ, including Paul, had the authority to bind and loose. Not everyone is an apostle, not everyone is equal:

1Co 12:28 And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues.

1Co 12:29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles?

Note that the hierarchy does not include people like myself who are laymen.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

dan p
When the Holy Spirit was given to them all, not just Peter.

It is aka the Kingdom of God where Jesus Christ is King and we, Christians, are His subjects. This is the The Body of Christ.

All authority was given to the Apostels. What is already bound in heaven will be bound on earth and what is already loose in heaven will be loose on earth.

When they recieved His Holy Spirit, the Day of Pentecost.

It was given to all the Apostels from the time of Pentecost to their death. Keys are used symbolically.

This is not correct. He was given the same authority as the rest of the Apostles. They are the foundation and Jesus Christ of Nazareth is the Chief Cornerstone.

Circumcision of the heart.

The heart only.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Timothy is identified as a successor:

1Ti 4:14 Do not neglect the gift that is in you, which was given to you by prophecy with the laying on of the hands of the eldership.

The "laying of hands" comes from Judaism, and is an act of conveying authority. It's known as semikah. Bishops and deacons were granted their authority by the same means:

Phl 1:1 Paul and Timothy, bondservants of Jesus Christ, To all the saints in Christ Jesus who are in Philippi, with the bishops and deacons:

The apostles chosen by Christ, including Paul, had the authority to bind and loose. Not everyone is an apostle, not everyone is equal:

1Co 12:28 And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues.

1Co 12:29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles?

Note that the hierarchy does not include people like myself who are laymen.

And here is what Matt 16:19 says to all !!

#1 I WILL GIVE / DIDOMI is in the Greek FUTURE TENSE , ACTIVE VOICE , and in the INDICATIVE MOOD .

#2 The Greek FUTURE TENSES , that since Israel rejected the Kingdom of Heaven , will offered again in the FUTURE .

The ACTIVE VOICE means that the the subject , CHRIST is producing the action .

The Indicative mood means this verse is a FACT.

#3 UNTO TO THEE / SOI , is a Personal possessive Pronoun are things that belong to a specific person , named Peter .

THE / HO means that DEFINITE ARTICLE ( THE ) points to a person called Peter , ONLY and not the other apostles , PERIOD and is in the ACCUSATIVE CASE and it means , it again points to Peter .

dan p

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: readywriter
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,641.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

dan p

One of the revelations I had, as a dispensationalist, is realizing that Peter's status was so intimately linked to the status of the nation of Israel in the eyes of God.

As Israel fell in the eyes of God, the status of Peter fell accordingly, and the Holy Spirit gave clues in the book of Acts to let all of us know.

Peter, as designated by Christ himself, was suppose to lead the little flock of Jewish believers.

And boy, did he started off with a bang from Acts 2 onwards, he was leading the rest.

But by the time Stephen was stoned, we could see that the kingdom program was indeed fading away, Israel the nation was rapidly diminishing and by the time Acts 12:17, the interesting remark Peter made when God rescued him from Herod's prison

17 But he, beckoning unto them with the hand to hold their peace, declared unto them how the Lord had brought him out of the prison. And he said, Go shew these things unto James, and to the brethren. And he departed, and went into another place.

The name James came into the picture, and I think for the first time, this half brother of Jesus was mentioned as the leader of the little flock.

A few years later at Acts 15:19-22, we saw the same James leading the flock and it was him who made the final decision, indicating the keys of the kingdom has passed from Peter to James.

More evidence of that passing came from Paul's writings in the 2nd part of Galatians 2, where Peter was recorded as

11 But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.

12 For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.

Imagine, Peter was chosen by Jesus himself to be the head of the little flock and given the keys to the kingdom.

However, by the time Galatians 2 came about, which recorded events after Acts 15, he was afraid of the men who "came from James"

And the final confirmation of that passing was found in Acts 21:18-25, Peter is no longer even mentioned as a key member of the little flock, its all "James and the elders".

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One of the revelations I had, as a dispensationalist, is realizing that Peter's status was so intimately linked to the status of the nation of Israel in the eyes of God.

As Israel fell in the eyes of God, the status of Peter fell accordingly, and the Holy Spirit gave clues in the book of Acts to let all of us know.

Peter, as designated by Christ himself, was suppose to lead the little flock of Jewish believers.

And boy, did he started off with a bang from Acts 2 onwards, he was leading the rest.

But by the time Stephen was stoned, we could see that the kingdom program was indeed fading away, Israel the nation was rapidly diminishing and by the time Acts 12:17, the interesting remark Peter made when God rescued him from Herod's prison

17 But he, beckoning unto them with the hand to hold their peace, declared unto them how the Lord had brought him out of the prison. And he said, Go shew these things unto James, and to the brethren. And he departed, and went into another place.

The name James came into the picture, and I think for the first time, this half brother of Jesus was mentioned as the leader of the little flock.

A few years later at Acts 15:19-22, we saw the same James leading the flock and it was him who made the final decision, indicating the keys of the kingdom has passed from Peter to James.

More evidence of that passing came from Paul's writings in the 2nd part of Galatians 2, where Peter was recorded as

11 But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.

12 For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.

Imagine, Peter was chosen by Jesus himself to be the head of the little flock and given the keys to the kingdom.

However, by the time Galatians 2 came about, which recorded events after Acts 15, he was afraid of the men who "came from James"

And the final confirmation of that passing was found in Acts 21:18-25, Peter is no longer even mentioned as a key member of the little flock, its all "James and the elders".

And my years , on the 5 Christian forums that I am on , I have never seen this subject , before .
But I believe that the reason James went to the forefront is because Israel had reject Peter's message and that Israel was to be set aside and Acts 28:27 and 28 speaks to that .

This also shows that there are 3 groups in Mid-Acts , the LITTLE FLOCK and the BODY OF CHRIST and we can not forget the Pharisees and the Sadducees .

You are close ,and I believe that the KEYS were first used in Acts 2 :38 and it was a national call to Israel to repent ,

E W BULLINGER in his book , THE GIVER AND HIS GIFTS is the BEST source on this subject .

dan p

• Agree
Reactions: Guojing
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,641.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And my years , on the 5 Christian forums that I am on , I have never seen this subject , before .
But I believe that the reason James went to the forefront is because Israel had reject Peter's message and that Israel was to be set aside and Acts 28:27 and 28 speaks to that .

This also shows that there are 3 groups in Mid-Acts , the LITTLE FLOCK and the BODY OF CHRIST and we can not forget the Pharisees and the Sadducees .

You are close ,and I believe that the KEYS were first used in Acts 2 :38 and it was a national call to Israel to repent ,

E W BULLINGER in his book , THE GIVER AND HIS GIFTS is the BEST source on this subject .

dan p

Yes, James the brother of Jesus, came out of nowhere literally to becoming the head of the little flock. He only believed in Jesus after the resurrection.

I wished Luke would have given more details about the emergence of James. But nevermind, in heaven, when we have perfect knowledge, we will know the details surrounding that. =)

Upvote 0

readywriter

May 4, 2010
UK
✟69,130.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

- When did this happen ??
- What does the Kingdom of Heaven mean ?
- What did Peter BIND or when did Peter LOOSE ?
- And when did it Happen ??
- When were these Keys of the Kingdom of Heaven used during Peter's ministry?
- Why was Paul not given the same Keys ?
- I do see two programs here, one of CIRCUMCISION, which is Peter's ministry.
And one, called UNCIRCUMCISION for Paul, Gal 2:7 .
dan p
@HTacianas
@Guojing
@Maria Billingsley

Hello @Dan Perez,

'And I will give unto thee the keys (i.e., for the power to open) of the kingdom of heaven (i.e., the kingdom of the heavens): and whatsoever thou shalt bind (i.e., by the word which thou shalt minister) on earth (i.e., declare to be binding as a precept, etc.,) shall be bound in heaven; and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth (i.e., declare to be not binding) shall be loosed in heaven.' (Matthew 16:19)

* Note that, whatever this may mean, it is nowhere stated that the apostle had either the authority or the power to transmit the gift to others; still less to transmit the power to others to give this gift! And in any case it refers to the 'Kingdom' and not to the 'Church'.

* 'Binding and loosing' is a Hebraism for exercising authority.

* Peter exercised this power to open at Acts 2 in regard to Israel, and in Acts 10 among the Gentiles.

* This power to 'bind' and 'loose', was given also to the other disciples in Matthew 18:18 & John 20:23, and exercised in the Acts of the Apostles 5:1-11 & the Acts of the Apostles 12-16.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

readywriter

May 4, 2010
UK
✟69,130.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@HTacianas
@Guojing
@Maria Billingsley

Hello again @Dan Perez,

Paul was not given this power and authority in regard to the Kingdom which is of the heavens, because that was not his sphere of authority. He was not one of the twelve, for he had not witnessed the words or the works of the Lord Jesus Christ during His earthly ministry, or His resurrection, so he did not qualify for the ministry which the twelve had, as 'them that heard Him' (Hebrews 2:3).

Paul's main sphere of operation was among the Gentiles, as the Apostle to the Gentiles:, and was given the stewardship of the dispensation (i.e., Fellowship) of the Church which is the Body of Christ (Ephesians 3:9), of which He (Christ) is the Head. (Ephesians 1:22-23 & Ephesians 3:7 & Colossians 1:23 & 25).

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Upvote 0

readywriter

May 4, 2010
UK
✟69,130.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

dan p
Hello @Dan Perez,

I have that book, which covers the New Testament record of 'The Holy Spirit and His Work', would you please direct me to where there is the coverage of this subject that you refer to.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Upvote 0

readywriter

May 4, 2010
UK
✟69,130.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

@Dan Perez
@HTacianas
@Maria Billingsley

Hello @Guojing,

It is not for us to assume that the keys of the kingdom had been passed from Peter to James. Peter was given this power and authority by God himself, and we have no recorded evidence that this power was passed on to James. The keys of the kingdom had obviously been used, by Peter, in accordance with God's will and purpose on the occasions already mentioned (ie., Acts 2 and 10), and had fulfilled their purpose.

The twelve had also been given the authority of 'binding' and 'loosing' as I said in reply#10. The council at Jerusalem consisted of Apostles and Elders, who, like those delegated to wait at tables and see to the mundane affairs of daily needs in Acts 6.3, had been elected for that office.

It is dangerous to truth to assume anything. Only when we can say, 'it is written', can we speak with any authority on any scriptural subject: all else is mere conjecture.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Dan Perez,

I have that book, which covers the New Testament record of 'The Holy Spirit and His Work', would you please direct me to where there is the coverage of this subject that you refer to.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris
Hi and E W BULLINGER book called THE GIVER AND HIS GIFTS and where it begins , the subject that concerns Peter and the KEYS OF THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN begins on page 85 -- 88 and also have his 3 books on the FIGURES OF SPEECH , and no one comes CLOSE to his knowledge and stature .

dan p

Last edited:
Upvote 0

readywriter

May 4, 2010
UK
✟69,130.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi and E W BULLINGER book called THE GIVER AND HIS GIFTS and where it begins , the subject that concerns Peter and the KEYS OF NTHE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN begins on page 85 -- 88 and also have his 3 books on the FIGURES OF SPEECH , and no one comes to knowledge !

dan p
Hello @Dan Perez,

Thank you for giving me the page numbers, that really helped. Yes, you are right, it is very good.

With love in Christ Jesus
Chris

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

readywriter

May 4, 2010
UK
✟69,130.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Hello @HTacianas,

If, as you say, Peter exercised the keys of the Kingdom every time he baptised anyone: as he was the only one who was entrusted with those keys, then it would seem he would have to have baptised everyone seeking entry, personally, and no other. Yet we know of other disciples who performed baptisms, as well as Peter, such as Philip for example.

We are not told that the keys of the Kingdom were used in that way, so this is conjecture.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,641.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@Dan Perez
@HTacianas
@Maria Billingsley

Hello @Guojing,

It is not for us to assume that the keys of the kingdom had been passed from Peter to James. Peter was given this power and authority by God himself, and we have no recorded evidence that this power was passed on to James. The keys of the kingdom had obviously been used, by Peter, in accordance with God's will and purpose on the occasions already mentioned (ie., Acts 2 and 10), and had fulfilled their purpose.

The twelve had also been given the authority of 'binding' and 'loosing' as I said in reply#10. The council at Jerusalem consisted of Apostles and Elders, who, like those delegated to wait at tables and see to the mundane affairs of daily needs in Acts 6.3, had been elected for that office.

It is dangerous to truth to assume anything. Only when we can say, 'it is written', can we speak with any authority on any scriptural subject: all else is mere conjecture.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

So was Peter irrational to fear those men from James in Galatians 2, when he had the power and authority from God himself?

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So was Peter irrational to fear those men from James in Galatians 2, when he had the power and authority from God himself?

And we see from Gal 2:13 that Peter was a LAW KEEPER and was a HYPOCRATE and in verse 14 , trying to compel the Gentiles to adopt Jewish customs and RITES and it was UNLAWFUL for Jews

We see that Peter new it was UNLAWFUL for a Jewish man to jion himself or come near a GENTILE .

Yet in Gal 2:12 he was eating with Gentiles and in verse 14 was compelling the Gentiles to adopt Jewish custom and RITES .

I see no BINDING or LOOSING here !!

dan p

Upvote 0

readywriter

May 4, 2010
UK
✟69,130.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
'But when Peter was come to Antioch,
I withstood him to the face,
because he was to be blamed.
For before that certain came from James,
he did eat with the Gentiles:
but when they were come,
he withdrew and separated himself,

fearing them which were of the circumcision.
And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him;
insomuch that Barnabas also
was carried away with their dissimulation.
But when I saw that they walked not uprightly
according to the truth of the gospel,
I said unto Peter before them all,
If thou, being a Jew,
livest after the manner of Gentiles,
and not as do the Jews,
why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?'

(Gal 2:11-14)

Hello @Guojing,

Peter's nature (in the flesh) was one which could react unadvisedly out of fear, as we know from the record of Scripture (Mark 14:66-72), so it was not particularly surprising that he should be 'fearful' of 'those of the circumcision' who were visiting Antioch. Causing him to depart from his habit of living 'after the manner of the Gentiles' in their absence, to separate himself, and 'live as do the Jews' when they were present.

What God instructed Peter to do, in going along to Joppa, to meet with Cornellius, was a radical departure from all that they had been instilled in them, as Jews, from birth, so this fear of offending the visiting Jews from Jerusalem was not surprising. He and his fellow Jews at Antioch were used to the new freedom they had to eat and drink together, but it would seem that the visiting Jews had not come into that freedom, as Peter had.

It was wrong: but on a human level (in the flesh) an understandable departure. Yet it caused Barnabas and Peter's fellow Jews at Antioch to depart from the freedom God had brought them into too, and so Paul reprimanded them.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,641.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And we see from Gal 2:13 that Peter was a LAW KEEPER and was a HYPOCRATE and in verse 14 , trying to compel the Gentiles to adopt Jewish customs and RITES and it was UNLAWFUL for Jews

We see that Peter new it was UNLAWFUL for a Jewish man to jion himself or come near a GENTILE .

Yet in Gal 2:12 he was eating with Gentiles and in verse 14 was compelling the Gentiles to adopt Jewish custom and RITES .

I see no BINDING or LOOSING here !!

dan p

When you literally read how Acts 15 went down, as recorded by Luke. Peter actually stated this:

11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

A literal reading will tell you that Peter is actually saying that he wants the Jews (we), from then on, to be saved, as a Gentile (they).

This is very significant because under the Law of Moses, Gentiles could be saved, but only as a Jew. Exodus 12:48 sums that up well.

And when a stranger shall sojourn with thee, and will keep the passover to the LORD, let all his males be circumcised, and then let him come near and keep it; and he shall be as one that is born in the land: for no uncircumcised person shall eat thereof.

So when Peter announced that, it was of huge significance to all the Jews who heard him during the Council.

But alas, James intervened before it could take root, and he did his final announcement that

19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:

James, in my reading, deftly changed Peter's proclamation about how Jews and Gentiles are now to turn to God, into just the Gentiles

And Acts 21 confirmed it, especially in v20

...Thou seest, brother, how many thousands of Jews there are which believe; and they are all zealous of the law

With this, you can understand why Peter would be afraid of the "men from James".

Upvote 0