• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Whats your opinion?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by ForJesusChrist, May 1, 2014.

1. Supreme

Supreme British

+444
    Protestant
    Single
    I have mixed feelings on the death penalty, and can sympathise with both sides of the argument.

2. Belk

Belk Senior Member

+6,042
    Agnostic
    Married

Ah, the old "people die anyways so we should continue to kill innocents" argument. :confused:

3. Smidlee

Smidlee Veteran

+732
    Baptist
    Married
    The objective of the death penalty is not to kill innocent people no more than automobiles are designed to kill people.

4. Belk

Belk Senior Member

+6,042
    Agnostic
    Married
    Comparing car accidents to a deliberate process were someone is killed is disingenuous. It is not like there are no alternatives that we could come up with.

5. interpreter

interpreter Senior Member

+129
    Anglican
    Wrong. Jesus rules through Christian nations (anywhere Christians are in the majority). Washington DC is a throne of Jesus.

6. StephanieSomer

StephanieSomer Regular Member

+492
    Christian
    Single
    Seems strange that God couldn't come up with a viable alternative, but you can.

7. Belk

Belk Senior Member

+6,042
    Agnostic
    Married

Yeah, that does seem strange. I would think an all powerful deity would not be out done by his creation but there you go. Bonus points to me I guess.

8. bhsmte

bhsmte Newbie

+11,401
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    Who decides whether a nation is Christian or not? Is it the Pew or Gallup polls people engage in when they self identify as following a certain religion?

9. Kalevalatar

Kalevalatar Veteran

+694
    Christian
    Private
    Matthew 25: The Sheep and the Goats

10. TheReasoner

TheReasoner Former christian, current teapot agnostic.

+641
    Atheist
    Married
    Ironically, that parable would, arguably, make the least religious nations on the earth (Scandinavia) the most christian ones.

11. Supreme

Supreme British

+444
    Protestant
    Single
    Scandinavia is heavily culturally Christian, and Christians still come out as the majority in censuses. Just very few Scandinavians take religion that serious any more is all.

12. TheReasoner

TheReasoner Former christian, current teapot agnostic.

+641
    Atheist
    Married
    Christians come out ahead in censuses in large part because of the cultural heritage. Furthermore, other countries have longer and far more deeply engrained christian culture and heritages than Scandinavia. Yet none of those come close to the same level of equality, humanitarian dedication and compassion as Scandinavia does, judging by the statistics.

We are still left with the most areligious countries on the planet being the most deserving of being said to represent the gifts of the spirit which christians are supposed to embody. Moreover, if you pop by statemaster.com and check statistics related to these fruits of the spirit you will find an inverse correlation within the US with respect to faith density and the fruits. The more religious and conservative a state is, the less it embodies the fruits christians are supposed to embody - statistically speaking. Why is that? And why does the same trend appear internationally?

Sure, correlation does not imply causation, but the claim that more faith equals more goodness appears to not be supported by this correlation. If this were so then at the very least countries with longer and more deeply felt connections to christianity should manifest a significantly more prominent fulfilment of the fruits, on average. This is not the case. Why not?
    Here's a guess: Christianity is just another man-made religion with no basis in a divinity or spiritual reality. Jesus may have been real, and his teachings (Not Paul's) are quite good. For the most part, the whole 'hate your family' thing (Luke 14:26) is not too good if taken literally. But that he had some good ideas does not mean the religion is true, lock stock and barrel.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  13. interpreter

+129
    Anglican
    Who am I to judge? If a person says they are a Christian, that's good enough for me. But ultimately it's up to God. Since 312 AD, God only lets Christian nations have dominion over the earth, and if the US were not a Christian nation, we would not be ruling the earth.

14. Paradoxum

Paradoxum Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!

+618
    Humanist
    Private
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    Perhaps you're right.

15. StephanieSomer

StephanieSomer Regular Member

+492
    Christian
    Single
    We rule the earth? Really? WOW.

16. bhsmte

bhsmte Newbie

+11,401
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    Who are you to judge? I don't know, for someone who claims the enemies of Jesus should be killed, I got the feeling judging others, sort of came natural to you.

17. Smidlee

Smidlee Veteran

+732
    Baptist
    Married
    You are still referring to the innocent right? Are you saying the death penalty is deliberately design to kill innocent people? Justice and freedom has a heavy price tag.

18. interpreter

+129
    Anglican
    As the earth's only superpower, we police the earth. Our weapons bring hell and death to the enemies of Jesus.

19. interpreter

+129
    Anglican
    What's your problem? We are clearly commanded to kill the enemies of Jesus, and that's what the US does. The point is, Jesus is OK with the death penalty.

20. revanneosl

revanneosl Mystically signifying since 1985

+1,383
    Methodist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    Wow, you really worship an entirely different Jesus from the Jesus I worship.