What's your garden like at this time of year?

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I like the yellow ones best too. The daffs I planted are miniature double-headed ones, which reminded me of freesias when they came into bud. They are surrounded by deep blue (almost mauve) spear-headed hyacinths and the two colours contrast well. I have no means of taking photos so I can't share the pictures.

Thank you for sharing your photos Phoebe Ann, and everyone else who does so. :)

LOL. Most people prefer the yellow daffs! I don't know which ones are my favorite.

Maybe you have grape hyacinths? They look wonderful with daffodils! But so do other hyacinths whose colors are in the blue family. My camera isn't working now so I can't take photos at this time. I had to post old photos.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Hello, Phoebe Ann

Love the photos you have posted for us to enjoy! We don't grow daffodils ourselves, but I love them as they dispel winter blues or more accurately greys :D and set one's thoughts vividly on warmer days to come. The plain yellow ones are my favourites as that colour is my favourite one - so bright and cheery. :)

My former guest room --- now craft room --- is decorated with blue and yellow; the furniture is white.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Thanks, joyshirley.

Today two of my grandchildren were here and we walked all the way to the back of the backyard so I could show them the buds on the daffodils and the few that were blooming. They live in an apartment and their mother (nor their maternal grandmother)has never had any interest in houseplants or flowers so I want to teach them a little.
Art favorite Ilse Wende-Lungershausen.JPG Art Junge in Lederhosen.jpg
When I was a little girl, my mother hung these in my bedroom.

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,557.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
Maybe you have grape hyacinths?
Yes, I have! :) Thanks for the suggestion; I've just looked them up on the internet. :D
Today two of my grandchildren were here and we walked all the way to the back of the backyard so I could show them the buds on the daffodils and the few that were blooming. They live in an apartment and their mother (nor their maternal grandmother)has never had any interest in houseplants or flowers so I want to teach them a little.
View attachment 226909 View attachment 226911
What a nice thing to do with your grandchildren, Phoebe Ann, and I love the pictures your mother hung in your bedroom. :)

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes, I have! :) Thanks for the suggestion; I've just looked them up on the internet. :D

What a nice thing to do with your grandchildren, Phoebe Ann, and I love the pictures your mother hung in your bedroom. :)

Thanks! :)

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The little guy next door came running over (Oh, how I adore him!). He hasn't been to school yet, but he can count to 13. He's so proud of his accomplishment. He's really awesome. I was showing him the moonflower vine seeds that came in my mail. Then I was talking about flowers and he asked me what "bloom" means.

Anyway, this afternoon I ordered a 19" wide flower pot for my youngest daughter; it will be a surprise. And I ordered annuals(the same ones I has last year) for my 16" pot.

Last year's annuals here:
What's your garden like at this time of year?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I live in a 100 year old cabin in the dense forest of Washington State in complete quiet and solitude, the nearest house 1/2 mile away. My garden is..., well, the forest. I blazed many walking trails in the 7 acres I have access to. Spring growth was crazy; I couldn't keep up with it and finally had to purchase some gasoline powered tools.

I love autumn. The growth has subsided, the leaves of the maple trees are turning, Douglas Fir needles are strewn about (along with cedar leaves and sticks and other brown woody things from the trees), it's still not too cold, the insects and annoying mosquitoes are mostly gone. I thank Jesus for providing me and my wife (and dogs) the desires of our heart.

Sounds wonderful!

Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks, joyshirley.

View attachment 226909 View attachment 226911

I love those sorts of pictures too, Phoebe Ann. :)

Your grandchildren will be blessed by all you teach them and the time spent with them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,227,037.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Brown on brown right now. I have deer that come out the river bottom that eat everything. It's flooded right now, but when it dries out the deer will devour anything that I attempt to plant. Seven foot fences don't work. So I have to content myself with native vegetation.

Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Brown on brown right now. I have deer that come out the river bottom that eat everything. It's flooded right now, but when it dries out the deer will devour anything that I attempt to plant. Seven foot fences don't work. So I have to content myself with native vegetation.

That sounds a tad irritating, GT, considering fences don't help at all. I guess the deer don't like the native vegetation? If not, then at least you can enjoy those plantings, eh?

• Agree
Reactions: rebornfree
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

I gave up on anything that isn't deer resistant. I thought I had a nice picture of two fawns resting in my yard but I can't find it right now.

I think I read that you need an eight or nine foot fence to keep the deer out, but we couldn't afford one.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Yesterday my 'Snow Fountain' weeping cherry bloomed and so did all my 'Thalia' daffodils out front! I have a picture of the cherry tree taken in 2007. My husband wasn't really interested in flowers, but he LOVED that tree.

Well, the picture wouldn't load in the wee hours of the morning and it still won't load.
:scratch:

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Yesterday my 'Snow Fountain' weeping cherry bloomed and so did all my 'Thalia' daffodils out front! I have a picture of the cherry tree taken in 2007. My husband wasn't really interested in flowers, but he LOVED that tree.

Well, the picture wouldn't load in the wee hours of the morning and it still won't lo
ad.
:scratch:
...it sounds beautiful...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Upvote 0