What's your garden like at this time of year?

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟790,449.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
I planted some red salvia and a pot of red petunias this evening. I worked outdoors until the mosquitoes got hungry.
LOL about the mosquitoes; I hope you didn't get bitten Phoebe Ann. I love salvias and petunias. :)

Reactions: joyshirley
Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The copper beech sounds beautiful, js, as well as the autumnal colours. I think having a mix of deciduous and evergreens is the best possible combination for autumn and winter. How nice that your camellias are still flowering. :)

In the end I changed my mind about the rockery so I've just put a pot plant on the bit where nothing will grow. :) (I think it is due to the foundations of a brick pillar which supports the fence.) However I've planted a few things including a cosmos, which I hadn't heard of before, and a hollyhock, which I'd mistaken for a peony. :doh:They were next to each other in the garden centre and I think I just picked up the wrong pot and planted it before I'd realised my mistake. I'm happy with it but it is a taller plant than I wanted. However the slugs and snails are keeping it in check :mad: - it must be a delicacy in their cuisine the way they are attacking it. :D

Cosmos are beautiful flowers. I like them very much. :) My father always has some spring up in his garden in summer.

Well, I'm sure the pot plant idea will do the job nicely, Sue. I've never grown hollyhocks but again, very pretty flowers.

• Friendly
Reactions: rebornfree
Upvote 0

Spikey

Dec 6, 2017
Manchester
✟11,348.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Just planted Wisteria by my pergola, hoping it will grow and provide some shade. Garden is looking nice now, have spent two days solid weeding borders and trimming back hedges :)

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,620,944.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Just planted Wisteria by my pergola, hoping it will grow and provide some shade. Garden is looking nice now, have spent two days solid weeding borders and trimming back hedges :)
They are the jobs that we have to do ...busy weekend for us! Great to hear about the Wisteria, that should be beautiful!

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟790,449.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
Drowned...Lots of thunderstorms.
I'm sorry to hear that GT. :( I hope it survives the watering.
Sounds very nice. I hope you enjoy your well looked after garden. :)

Cosmos are beautiful flowers. I like them very much. :) My father always has some spring up in his garden in summer.

Well, I'm sure the pot plant idea will do the job nicely, Sue. I've never grown hollyhocks but again, very pretty flowers.

I love reading posts about other gardeners' flowers! Cosmos are very pretty.
I'd never heard of cosmos until I bought it, but I'm very pleased with its delicate yellow flowers. The hollyhock is growing incredibly quickly, but is not flowering yet. It's still supporting several slugs and snails (or else a few with good appetites. :D). I bought a slug deterrent to put on the soil, but I think they just climb the wall and find their way onto the leaves from there. :doh:I've taken the view that if they're eating one plant (which has plenty of leaves) they're not attacking the others.

Meanwhile I've killed the antirrhinums. :eek: I think it might be over-watering or over-feeding. Today I've planted petunias and geraniums in their place in troughs on the wall (the slug/snail highway). The idea is to have other plants at a higher level as well as the hollyhock, to give a balanced appearance. My hanging basket is doing well - I bought a pack of various plants for it. I had planned to do another as a herb basket, but I don't know how I could protect them during winter, so I may do a second floral one.

Last edited:
Reactions: joyshirley
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟790,449.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
We could do with some rain...
I think we're supposed to have it later today, judging by the forecast, but it's still dry here. I agree that we need it in NW England. :)

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟790,449.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
My flowers in the ceramic pots look gorgeous! :clap:
I'm pleased for you, Phoebe Ann. :)

I was wrong about the rain on Thursday, but we've had it today and the garden looks much fresher. I'd bought some cobbles to put on a raised area which is where my plant pots stand. They are white and grey, but when wet become brown, amber and red. They look lovely in both conditions. :)

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
For years I supposedly mispronounced hydrangea. I said it with the first A having a long a sound. No one around me says it that way!

Then I discovered clematis. Well, I learned to pronounce that from a British video. Now my daughters pronounce it another it another way. ???

"I can only speculate that one of the reasons for the huge discrepancies in spelling it correctly is the confusion surrounding how to pronounce this word. The most common pronunciations are: CLEM-uh-tis and clem-AT-tis. You will also hear British gardeners pronouncing it: clem-MAY-tis. Not only are there a tremendous amount of misspellings out there, I have encountered an astounding number of interesting pronunciations (or should I say mispronunciations) as well."
How Do You Say & Spell Clematis? | ClematisQueen.com

"And, even when you know the botanical name, there may be different ways to pronounce it. Clem’-a-tis may be the preferred pronunciation for clematis, but there are many, many of us who say cle-ma’-tis."
How do you say that? | Hoosier Gardener

Clem'-a-tis is how I say it. My girls say cle-ma'-tis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟790,449.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
For years I supposedly mispronounced hydrangea. I said it with the first A having a long a sound. No one around me says it that way!

Then I discovered clematis. Well, I learned to pronounce that from a British video. Now my daughters pronounce it another it another way. ???

"I can only speculate that one of the reasons for the huge discrepancies in spelling it correctly is the confusion surrounding how to pronounce this word. The most common pronunciations are: CLEM-uh-tis and clem-AT-tis. You will also hear British gardeners pronouncing it: clem-MAY-tis. Not only are there a tremendous amount of misspellings out there, I have encountered an astounding number of interesting pronunciations (or should I say mispronunciations) as well."
How Do You Say & Spell Clematis? | ClematisQueen.com

"And, even when you know the botanical name, there may be different ways to pronounce it. Clem’-a-tis may be the preferred pronunciation for clematis, but there are many, many of us who say cle-ma’-tis."
How do you say that? | Hoosier Gardener

Clem'-a-tis is how I say it. My girls say cle-ma'-tis.
I used to pronounce cotoneaster as Cotton Easter. :doh::D

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
For the first time since I was a little kid, we have a garden with no hydrangeas at all. :cry: I've always loved them, specially the dark blue ones.

I am going to replace one of my 'Nikko Blue' ones.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed