Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What to do in the garden in February–is this some kind of a joke? Here’s a thing I like to do in February: sit by the fire and look at the garden through a window.

However. If you (or I) can find the motivation to throw on a coat, a hat, gloves, a heavy woolen scarf, thick socks, boots, and lip balm–this is what I wear to brave the chilly weather in Northern California; if you live in New England or Colorado, you might want to add a layer of thermal underwear and a second coat–we will be well rewarded for our efforts in springtime.

If you live in a warmer climate, your to-do list for February garden chores will be different from what you can accomplish in colder regions. (For instance, in my USDA zone 10a garden, where the ground does not freeze, I can weed even in cold months. In winter, before weeds spread, is an ideal time to get rid of them.)

Here are a few things we all can do in the garden this month.

1. Prune trees.​

Continued below.

thomasbile

Mar 2, 2020
United States
✟15,702.00
Country
Albania
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
February can be a tricky month for gardeners, especially when the cozy allure of sitting by the fire is so strong. But hey, there's something oddly satisfying about facing the cold, right?
I'm all about finding those little moments of joy amidst the chill. Sure, bundling up like you're about to trek to the North Pole might seem a bit excessive, but it's worth it.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
February can be a tricky month for gardeners, especially when the cozy allure of sitting by the fire is so strong. But hey, there's something oddly satisfying about facing the cold, right?
I'm all about finding those little moments of joy amidst the chill. Sure, bundling up like you're about to trek to the North Pole might seem a bit excessive, but it's worth it.
You are always glad you did it later when things are in full swing as well.

Upvote 0

melasthanatos

Jan 28, 2007
Birmingham
✟9,906.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm pruning back any overgrown branches, cleaning up any debris that accumulated over the winter, and checking on my plants to make sure they weathered the colder months okay. And, like you mentioned, it's a great time to tackle those pesky weeds before they have a chance to take over.

Also, it's a great time to think about changing the furniture in the garden. To get ready for the warmer months, so to speak. Especially when yours is old already, which is my case. So, I've been eyeing this rattan modular corner set that I think would add a touch of elegance to my outdoor space. Rattan has this appeal that combines with various garden styles and is durable enough to withstand the elements.

Despite the cold, there's a sense of anticipation in the air as we inch closer to spring. Each task completed now is a step closer to a thriving garden later on.

Upvote 0