What us teens really think about the war and sex...

draper said:
Umm, I can't even begin to explain to you how much threads like these irk me.

Basically, the world is changing. It's I guess the next stage of our society. Thats the way it is, you happy fundamentalist Christians can't do anything about it.

And if you get picked on at school for being Christian, well, that's not right, but then again you're the one whose putting the stickers up in your locker in the first place. I mean, there's lots of ways to worship Christ but looking at stickers of him in between classes isn't nessecary and you should have known you'd open up a can of worms. That's the way it is in the real world, Christians get mocked. So do Muslims and Jews. Religion is pretty popular as far as "Fun things to mock" go so hey, go to a Catholic school if it bugs you so much.

Basically, sex is OK. We need it to move forward as a society and if you feel intimate enough with someone to have sex with them that's fine. If you don't, but still have sex, hey, it's your life.

I really don't think it's any of your places to step in and tell people not to watch shows about sex and to judge shows that have sex in them as morally wrong. You're not God, now stop acting like it. He can pass judgement on the sex-obsessed when they die. If you don't wanna watch those shows, fine, but don't force your beliefs on others or try to change things for them. There are many people out there who think Christianity is evil (I personally think certain parts are) and appeal to adults to get rid of Christianity. I mean I'm of course not saying these people are right but you've gotta look at it on the other side of the coin.

So, yeah. Stop judging people.

Anyways I have some Christian friends who watch shows like the OC and they're all very, very, very nice people who are deciated to Christ. And, ALL these shows have a moral to the story that are good and in some way Christ-like. Look harder if you can't find them.

(Psst, i don't believe that God is real, I just wrote that post from a Biblical standpoint so you people would understand it better.)
I don't think you have the right to tell anyone not to say anything. Remember freedom of speech. These young adults can speak for themselves.

If more adults would stand up for their children this world would be a better place. I agree that television, lyrics to music, ads that use sex to sell lead many to believe that it is OK to do whatever you want. If doesn't even matter anymore if you hurt someone. Unfortunately children are at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to rights.

Stay strong you young people. Decide today to make a difference and get others involved. I'm proud of your awareness and the logic behind your assessment.

Your Sister in Christ,
JAC
PS...it doesn't get any easier when you get older. So chose today whom you will serve therefore it will never become an issue in the future.

Upvote 0

Krazeekkc

Irregular Nonconformist
Oct 2, 2003
Oregon, USA
Visit site
✟8,991.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Umm, I can't even begin to explain to you how much threads like these irk me.
I can't begin to explain how much you're irking me!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
[QUOTE ]Basically, the world is changing. It's I guess the next stage of our society. Thats the way it is, you happy fundamentalist Christians can't do anything about it.
Excuse me, but Christians can do alot about it!
And if you get picked on at school for being Christian, well, that's not right, but then again you're the one whose putting the stickers up in your locker in the first place. I mean, there's lots of ways to worship Christ but looking at stickers of him in between classes isn't nessecary and you should have known you'd open up a can of worms.
So it's ok for another faith to put up stickers that have to do with there faith and not get picked on, but if you're a Christian you shouldn't put up stickers of your faith. 'You should have known you were opening a can of worms.'

That's the way it is in the real world, Christians get mocked. So do Muslims and Jews. Religion is pretty popular as far as "Fun things to mock" go so hey, go to a Catholic school if it bugs you so much.
Christians shouldn't have too!!! It's not against the law to be a Christian so christians shouldn't have to go to another school!
Basically, sex is OK. We need it to move forward as a society and if you feel intimate enough with someone to have sex with them that's fine. If you don't, but still have sex, hey, it's your life.
So it's perfectly fine to ruin the teens life and the life of the baby??? I think not!!!!!!

I really don't think it's any of your places to step in and tell people not to watch shows about sex and to judge shows that have sex in them as morally wrong.
Our place??!! We have a right to!!!!!!
You're not God, now stop acting like it.
In the Bible it says to be like God!!! So all Christians should 'act like God'!!!!
He can pass judgement on the sex-obsessed when they die. If you don't wanna watch those shows, fine, but don't force your beliefs on others or try to change things for them. There are many people out there who think Christianity is evil (I personally think certain parts are) and appeal to adults to get rid of Christianity. I mean I'm of course not saying these people are right but you've gotta look at it on the other side of the coin.
So, yeah. Stop judging people.
Anyways I have some Christian friends who watch shows like the OC and they're all very, very, very nice people who are deciated to Christ.
'Nice' people but 'nice' doesn't cut it! I'm not even sure that they are true Christians! They probably aren't!
A
nd, ALL these shows have a moral to the story that are good and in some way Christ-like. Look harder if you can't find them.
They are in no way 'Christ-like'!!!!
draper said:
(Psst, i don't believe that God is real, I just wrote that post from a Biblical standpoint so you people would understand it better.)
We aren't idiots! Though you think most of us are!!! Rather you admit it or not!!!

Upvote 0

alonesoldier

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2002
Lawton Oklahoma, Officer Career Course
✟3,405.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
We can blame it on poor parenting and not hollywood. If you think that way. But when you look at the facts. For example 70% of black babies in this country are born out of wedlock and without fathers. Moms at work, kid raises self. So basicly yes we adults have failed them. But that doesn't mean that those pushing this thing are free from guilt. It's not illegal but it is shameful. I'm 23 years old, I can listen to stupid music if I want to, but I think it is wrong for it to be geared and marketed towards kids to young to buy it.

Upvote 0

Valkyr

Dynamic Equilibrium
Nov 16, 2003
Boston, MA
✟15,362.00
Krazeekkc said:
So it's ok for another faith to put up stickers that have to do with there faith and not get picked on, but if you're a Christian you shouldn't put up stickers of your faith. 'You should have known you were opening a can of worms.'
There was nothing in the original post about people of other faiths being able to put up stickers... I think what he was trying to convey is that if you appear to be fanatical about something, kids in middle school/high school will pick on you for it. No matter what it is. Yes, it's wrong, but it's not directed toward christians any more than it is toward other belief systems.

Krazeekkc said:
Our place??!! We have a right to!!!!!!

You have a right to talk about and promote what you believe, but you don't have a right to tell other people what to do as long as what they're doing is within the bounds of the law. And within the law, both christians and non-christians can watch whatever TV shows they want, and have as much sex as they want as long as it's consentual and both participants above the age of consent.

Upvote 0

Palatka44

Unabashedly Baptist
Jul 22, 2003
Palatka, Florida
Visit site
✟17,727.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Valkyr said:
You have a right to talk about and promote what you believe, but you don't have a right to tell other people what to do as long as what they're doing is within the bounds of the law. And within the law, both christians and non-christians can watch whatever TV shows they want, and have as much sex as they want as long as it's consentual and both participants above the age of consent.
Whoa there now. Sex is ordained by God within the bounds of Holy Matrimony. Between husband and wife, male and female. Consenting adults or not if it is out of bounds it's sin in the eyes of God.

Upvote 0

draper

Perspicacious Poster
Jul 5, 2003
Toronto, Canada
✟20,634.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
CA-Others
[/b said:
Krazeekkc] Excuse me, but Christians can do alot about it!

Then why haven't they?

[/b said:
Krazeekkc]
[/b said:

LOL don't put words in my mouth. I never ever said it WAS right. I think it's terrible people are picked on because of religion, skin colour, etc etc.

In fact Christians are probably 'picked on' the least because of their religion, groups less popular in the western world like muslims are probably bullied to no end. Which is wrong too must I add :)

Actually when I used to go to a Catholic school, our teacher told us that when we went out into the real world we wore gonna get picked on because of our faith. Imean at the time I wasn't even a CHristian, I just went there because it was a nice school, but that'swhat made up my mind to go to a public high school, I wanted to be more exposed to the 'ways of the world'

[/b said:
Krazeekkc] Christians shouldn't have too!!! It's not against the law to be a Christian so christians shouldn't have to go to another school!

Oh course they shouldn't have to. But unfortunately they do.

[/b said:
Krazeekkc]
[/b said:
So it's perfectly fine to ruin the teens life and the life of the baby??? I think not!!!!!!

Where did I say that?

I don't think teens should have sex before they're fully prepared to do so. But it's not my place to go yell at them about it either.

[/b said:
Krazeekkc] Our place??!! We have a right to!!!!!!

No you don't. You nor anyone else regardless of social status, influence, religion, skin colour, intelligence or anything else have any right whatsoever to tell anyone else but themself what to watch on TV, what to wear, what music to listen to etc etc. Well obviously except for parent to children.

[/b said:
Krazeekkc] In the Bible it says to be like God!!! So all Christians should 'act like God'!!!!

But it says not to judge others. May he who is without sin cast the first stone :)

[/b said:
Krazeekkc] 'Nice' people but 'nice' doesn't cut it!

Sure it does. Nice people rule.

Krazeekkc said:
I'm not even sure that they are true Christians! They probably aren't!

Hmm...here we go. Playing Jesus. You don't even know these people so don't question their salvation. Watching a TV SHOW doesn't say anything about your salvation.

[/b said:
KrazeekkcThey are in no way 'Christ-like'!!!!

Never said they were. I said they all had a moral to the story that was usually Christ like. Not the actual show, the moral.

[/b said:
Krazeekkc]We aren't idiots! Though you think most of us are!!! Rather you admit it or not!!!
Not all of you, but some of you make me wonder....

Upvote 0

Havoc

Celtic Witch
Jul 26, 2002
Realityville
Visit site
✟21,635.00
Faith
Pagan
Palatka44 said:

Whoa there now. Sex is ordained by God within the bounds of Holy Matrimony. Between husband and wife, male and female. Consenting adults or not if it is out of bounds it's sin in the eyes of God.

Your God maybe, most other Gods take a more practical view.

Upvote 0

Valkyr

Dynamic Equilibrium
Nov 16, 2003
Boston, MA
✟15,362.00
Yes... but I was talking about the secular law, and in the United States any amount of sex between two consenting adults is perfectly legal. I am not making a value judgement or implying it is right or wrong, just pointing out that it is legal and beyond any citizens control.

Reactions: lunachick
Upvote 0

Havoc

Celtic Witch
Jul 26, 2002
Realityville
Visit site
✟21,635.00
Faith
Pagan
osmaker said:
And how do you decide one is more 'practical' than the other?

osm
Well I wouldn't call making sex the strongest drive we have, especially in young people, and then placing all sorts of ridiculous restrictions on it very practical.

It is an excellent way for a power hungry priesthood and clergy to extort control over a populace though. Guilt is an incredibly powerful control mechanism. Attaching guilt to feelings that you cannot help but have is a work of genius.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Vxer1000

Provoking Thought
Sep 11, 2003
Waukegan, IL
✟9,029.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Save sex for marriage. Most men can't give good advice on the subject because they'll take it any time they can get it(this is why the liberal women of this country have made so many advances with their progressive agenda). Half of the studies on the subject are probably biased for the same reasons. I think most of these people are closet perverts telling kids that sex is OK. You will someday enjoy a much richer and fulfilling marriage by saving yourself for your spouse. Most people are too full of sin(and therefore blind concerning the subject) to give objective information on this matter. Sorry, for sounding harsh folks, but Yah'll are too liberal for me and the bible speaks pretty clearly about sex. As a matter of fact the bible says to flee from fornication because this sin is much more difficult to control once the bug has bitten.

Upvote 0

Valkyr

Dynamic Equilibrium
Nov 16, 2003
Boston, MA
✟15,362.00
Most men can't give good advice on the subject because they'll take it any time they can get it (this is why the liberal women of this country have made so many advances with their progressive agenda).

Are you implying that women are only able to advance their status in society by beguiling men with their sexuality?

If so... I think that you take credit away from men by implying they are too stupid to tell the difference between right and wrong and too obsessed with sex to care about anything else; I think you discredit women by implying that the only way for them to achieve anything is through using sex to get what they want. Intelligence and free will are possessed both men and women - all human beings are capable of transcending their base instincts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Krazeekkc said:
One word: How???
I'm so excited you brought that up!:D

The first place a parent should start in teaching their children is by submitting to Gods will and understanding that He is truly in control. Begin by openning the door to your home to Jesus Christ.

Parents should be the childs best example. This is what the children will remember.

Parents should set boundaries but NOT based on what other parents allow their children to do but based on your childs needs.

Parents should discipline their children when they do wrong and allow them to suffer the consequences. Example, don't bail your kid out of jail in the first few hours. Wait a good 24 hours.

Allow your children to work. Teach them responsibility early. They will appreciate it later. Plus it will keep them out of trouble.

With todays economy it is almost impossible not to have both parents working. Take the time to do things with your children. Listen to them. Be a parent first and then a friend.

Check up on your children. Make sure they are where they should be. We were all kids once. We know the routine, right?;)

Don't allow TV's in their bedroom's. Place restrictions on the TV.

Don't allow just any music in your home.

Encourage involvement in sports or something they could enjoy.

Anyone care to add more?

Upvote 0

Vxer1000

Provoking Thought
Sep 11, 2003
Waukegan, IL
✟9,029.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Valkyr said:

Are you implying that women are only able to advance their status in society by beguiling men with their sexuality?

If so... I think that you take credit away from men by implying they are too stupid to tell the difference between right and wrong and too obsessed with sex to care about anything else; I think you discredit women by implying that the only way for them to achieve anything is through using sex to get what they want. Intelligence and free will are possessed both men and women - all human beings are capable of transcending their base instincts.

There are women that do just that. And there are men that fall for it. Many men are afraid to stand up and do what is right for fear of "offending" the women and that is just spinelessness. I know how to love people. I know how to hate people. And contrary to the popular belief that is advancing in this world love does not mean you never offend people. Quite the contrary, if you have children many times as a parent you will love them yet offend them to protect them from bad decisions. I abhor the thought of my daughter getting pregnant before she gets married. I would still love her and help here in any way that I could should that ever happen, but I would rather avoid it altogether and spare her a very painful and disheartening experience because of a few liberal thinkers in this country that want to promote nothing but sex, sex and more sex.

Upvote 0

Vxer1000

Provoking Thought
Sep 11, 2003
Waukegan, IL
✟9,029.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sir Jack Napes said:
Vxer1000 advances the following non sequitur:
Most men can't give good advice on the subject because they'll take it any time they can get it (this is why the liberal women of this country have made so many advances with their progressive agenda).

What on earth are you talking about?
I was ranting. This is a subject that really gets me upset because people have utterly blinded themselves to issues of right and wrong. I'll give you folks a couple of definitions and perhaps this will clear things up:

Love: A strong attraction or attachment to someone creating a relationship that will be mutually beneficial to both parties.
Lust: A strong attraction or attachment to someone creating a relationship that will be destructive to one or both parties involved.

These are my own definitions, but I think they fit. Fornication and adultery are products of lust. Marriage and commitment are products of love which ultimately lead to emotionally solid people in both the husband, the wife and the children. Lust can and will destroy relationships that are supposed to last. I've observed these things since I was a child(though I never knew why I had such an interest in the subject) and I've yet to see people stray into the boundaries of lust without some negative effects taking place. If anything people have all but forgotten what honor, commitment, and love mean, but the bible still clearly defines for us what those things mean which is why I always use it a my teacher.

Upvote 0

Valkyr

Dynamic Equilibrium
Nov 16, 2003
Boston, MA
✟15,362.00
There are women that do just that. And there are men that fall for it.

Yes. But not every woman does it, and not every man falls for it. Your broad generalizations are harmful. Women are as capable as men of making a difference in the world based on their talent, their conviction, and their determination. Men are perfectly able to support women in this for the sole reason that they believe in the cause that is being fought for.
Many men are afraid to stand up and do what is right for fear of "offending" the women and that is just spinelessness.

But most men, I would hope the majority of men, would not let fear in any form keep them from doing what is right. And the same goes for women.
I know how to love people. I know how to hate people. And contrary to the popular belief that is advancing in this world love does not mean you never offend people. Quite the contrary, if you have children many times as a parent you will love them yet offend them to protect them from bad decisions. I abhor the thought of my daughter getting pregnant before she gets married. I would still love her and help here in any way that I could should that ever happen, but I would rather avoid it altogether and spare her a very painful and disheartening experience because of a few liberal thinkers in this country that want to promote nothing but sex, sex and more sex.

You sound like a really great guy with wonderful morals. Your daughter is lucky to have such a supportive and protective father. But I hope that you don't cross the fine line between protecting someone you love and making their choices for them... because that only encourages children to rebel. Love does not mean never offending someone, and it also does not mean controlling them for your own comfort. After a certain point the most you can do is educate your children on the possible consequences of their actions and let them go in the world with the hope that they will make the right decisions based on what you have taught them.

Upvote 0