Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Looks like another example of what I call racism pareidolia. Seeing racism where there is none.

I don't think it's even that...I think calling someone racist, and damaging their life unnecessarily, has a certain appeal to people who lack any real morals or standards. It is virtue signaling.

"Hey look at me...I fought a racism"

• Informative
Reactions: MrMoe
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Of course. I hadn't heard about til I was older either. I'm dutch and as part of dutch Christmas tradition we have Zwaarte Pete (Black peter), a white dude in black face that was a slave of Sinter Klaas. There are pictures of our church christmases in the basement that make up look TERRIBLE.

We were not racist but we did NOT know any better in our church. There were no people of colour. But I'll tell you, we stopped that tradition once we heard how some people of colour responded to it.

I always thought that guy was supposed to actually be depicted as black...not as white in black face.

Is there some story about how he was attached to Santa? Like...are elves evil little creatures in Dutch folklore or something?

Upvote 0