What translation, or versions of the bible do you like to use and why?

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The word "things" fails to specify God made animals on the fifth day. I am sure it was understood in 1611 creeping things" were invertebrate land animals, but cannot see how they knew that. Today no animals in the world are "things" in the minds of native English speakers who respect life beyond humanity.

Creeping things are animals (unless you want to stretch it to include vines). I don't agree that creeping things are invertebrates, since that would exclude snakes.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Creeping things are animals (unless you want to stretch it to include vines). I don't agree that creeping things are invertebrates, since that would exclude snakes.

And worms, of course. The phrase "move along the ground" avoids any possible species exclusion.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
They have exoskeltons.

They do not have exoskeletons. "No. Worms do not have an exoskeleton. Addition: They are not by definition taxonomicly related. Worms and insects belong to different Phyla."

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The word "things" fails to specify God made animals on the fifth day. I am sure it was understood in 1611 creeping things" were invertebrate land animals, but cannot see how they knew that. Today no animals in the world are "things" in the minds of native English speakers who respect life beyond humanity.

ἑρπετόν - Erpeton - where we get herpetology - study of snakes.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Which brings up a good point. Why do so many people consider that the only true Bibles are those written in English?

People say the KJV is the only true English Bible, not that there are no true Bibles in other languages.

• Agree
Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This would be tied to the Biblical view of life. Life was seen as something given to animals with life blood and/or a soul. This excluded invertebrates and plants.

So while you may view a spider and the pot plant it lives in to both be alive the ancient Hebrews did not. Plants did not live and grow and die they would 'flourish and whither and fade.' Life meant something more.

Invertebrate don't have 'life blood' they have a different kind of 'blood', Hemolymph. So when the Bible calls certain creatures that we view as alive to be 'things' its because they were viewed as things.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Invertebrate don't have 'life blood' they have a different kind of 'blood', Hemolymph. So when the Bible calls certain creatures that we view as alive to be 'things' its because they were viewed as things.

This carries over into the fasting of the Eastern churches. During the fasts, we don't eat things with backbones, which leaves shrimp, insects and other invertebrates as protein.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This carries over into the fasting of the Eastern churches. During the fasts, we don't eat things with backbones, which leaves shrimp, insects and other invertebrates as protein.
Which insects do Greek Orthodox eat?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
They do not have exoskeletons. "No. Worms do not have an exoskeleton. Addition: They are not by definition taxonomiclaly related. Worms and insects belong to different Phyla."

Snakes are not insects either. They are reptiles, like lizards, alligators, and turtles.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm quite surprised at that. Isn't the NKJV suported to be based on the received text? Do any of these differences have any impact on doctrinal aspects?

I personally mainly the like the KJV. I sort of grew up with it and my memory is just full of the verses and language of the KJV, so I'm very comfortable with that.

I'm not one of these people who is KJV only, but I'm very picky which bible versions that I like. I definitely don't like the NIV at all.

I didn't use to think to rely on the KJV as my main Bible, but the more I studied and compared different modern versions, I could pick up more of the vibe of those at the Alexandria, Egypt school, like Clement of Alexandria, and Origen (recognized as father of textual criticism.) They used an allegorical method of Bible interpretation learned from the methods of Hellenistic Greek philosophy and mythology. One of the Greek NT texts that Wescott and Hort used for their new Greek translation was the Codex Alexandrinus.

Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Please post an English translation of this post!

You might start with the original fathers of textual criticism, Clement of Alexandria and Origen, both who used the Hellenist method of philosophy to interpret The Bible. (the early Church denounced Origen as a heretic by the way.)

• Informative
Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Two important points:
1. Foss Westcott (1825–1901) and Fenton John Anthony Hort (1828–1892) were the editors The New Testament in the Original Greek published in 1881. There is no such thing as “Wescott and Hort's Greek translation.”
2. None of the recent translations of the New Testament are based upon The New Testament in the Original Greek, but rather they are based upon much more recent Greek texts that were prepared independently of the work by Westcott and Hort.

Oh yes they did present 'their own' Greek translation in 1881, and that is fact (titled as The New Testament in Original Greek).

You need to get up to speed. Their Greek text is called the WH text, abbreviated after their last names. They were Greek scholars, and they based 'their' Greek translation from the Codex Alexandrinus and Codex Vaticanus manuscripts.

The New Testament in the original Greek : Westcott, Brooke Foss, 1825-1901 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Interlinear Westcott & Hort WH Original Greek New Testament GNT Literal English Translation Strong's Concordance Online Parallel Bible Study

Upvote 0

Justin BT

Jan 18, 2020
Taipei
✟17,705.00
Country
Taiwan
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don’t think anyone likes translations that are arguably theologically biased. Except perhaps, of course, perhaps that bias goes towards their own personal beliefs.

I prefer the Byzantine text as it slants towards being conservative in the textural critical decisions. I.E. retains “Son Of God” in mark 1, but at the same time takes the discoveries of new manuscripts with genuine academic integrity:

Chapter 1 · Mark · Byzantine Majority Text

Although I do respect people with alternate opinions

Upvote 0