What translation, or versions of the bible do you like to use and why?

Zao is life

Site Supporter
Apr 18, 2020
Africa
Visit site
✟183,148.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Different people prefer to use different bible translations as those which they find most appropriate for them. I realise that not everyone is necessarily going to agree with each other about there own personal likes, dislikes and doctrinal understandings, but please be nice to each other and allow each other to have our differences and respect those differences. I am a someone who uses a number of different bibles, but not always for any reasons, which might be all that obvious. Some of my bibles have cross references, or study aids, which I find helpful. Some are particular translations, which I like and there are other translations which I choose not to have as I even dislike certain translations.

I don't like translations where the translators have added their own doctrinal bias to them. I guess that some might even call me a bit old fashioned in my thinking and theology, but I still have quite a fair number of modern bible translations as well. I like the king james version, but I am not one of those, who is from the king james only persusion. I also like some literal translations, but not all are particularly enjoyable to read. Some of these literal versions may be considered by some as being technically advantageous, but I can find some of these very dry to use for just reading God's word. I need to be inspired by what I read and some translations just don't do that for me. So what are your preferred translations and why?

This does not need to be too theoretical. personal preferences and likes are dislikes are good enough. I hope the everyone will feel free to just be themselves and express their own feelings, if that's what feels right! Thanks.
I like the NKJV for holding a physical Bible and just reading, but electronically I compare various translations and I've come to one conclusion about them all: They're all good translations, some are better, and not one of them is perfect.

It's only by comparing translations against Greek words or Hebrew words (but I normally do this especially with the N.T) that you realize that none of them is perfect.

Sometimes I regard the differences as important and can see how things like the eschatological bias of translators creeps into translations. How many people realize for example that "rule them with a rod of iron" is actually "shepherd [ποιμαίνω poimaínō] them with a rod of iron" in all three places it appears in Revelation?

There is a huge difference between being a strict Pastor and a tyrant.

In Psalm 2:9 it says He will break them with a rod of iron and shall dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel. So to me (and I could be wrong of course) it speaks about first breaking a rebellious creature's rebellion, and then being the shepherd of the nations, but ruling or shepherding them with a rod, not with kid gloves.

It was comparing the Darby Bible of 1889 with other versions that made me aware of this. I don't personally agree with Darby's theology but his translation is pretty good regardless.

But that's just one example of many where I see all translations that I've compared making mistakes where another might not.

Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0

PrincetonGuy

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
U.S.A.
✟108,318.00
Faith
Baptist
Most modern versions of the Bible are based on the Alexandrian manuscripts because they are the oldest. The experts say the Majority Text (the Byzantine type) are corrupted and these verses missing from the Alexandrian texts were added later to the Byzantine texts (the Majority). They say the Byzantine texts should not even be considered. But the evidence is that the Alexandrian texts are corrupt.

There remains a persistent bias against the Byzantine Text type in Critical Text advocates. Here’s Dan Wallace – arguably the most respected New Testament textual critic alive today – talking about one of our oldest manuscripts, the Codex Alexandrius.

“Codex Alexandrius is a very interesting manuscript in that in the Gospels, it’s a Byzantine text largely, which means it agrees with the majority of manuscripts most of the time. While as, in the rest of the New Testament, it is largely Alexandrian. These are the two most competing textual forms, textual families, text types if you want to call them that, that we have for our New Testament manuscripts. So when you get outside the Gospels, Alexandrius becomes very important manuscript.” – Dan Wallace

Source: YouTube. (Only 1:35 long, starting at about 0:53)

Please notice the casual dismissal of the Byzantine text type by one of the most respected textual critics of our age. I’m honestly not sure why it’s dismissed so easily. Codex Alexandrius is the third oldest (nearly) complete manuscript, dating from the early 400s. Why dismiss the Gospels just because they are a different text type?

We have 5000+ manuscripts of the New Testament, though many are smaller fragments. In the last ~140 years since the Westcott & Hort 1881 Critical Text, we’ve discovered Papyri from the 300s, 200s, and even a few from the 100s. Despite this, the Critical Text of the New Testament remains virtually unchanged from ~140 years ago. Because they prefer the Alexandrian text types.

The following is regarding the Alexandrian text type manuscripts.

However, the antiquity of these manuscripts is no indication of reliability because a prominent church father in Alexandria testified that manuscripts were already corrupt by the third century. Origen, the Alexandrian church father in the early third century, said:

“…the differences among the manuscripts [of the Gospels] have become great, either through the negligence of some copyists or through the perverse audacity of others; they either neglect to check over what they have transcribed, or, in the process of checking, they lengthen or shorten, as they please.”

( From Bruce Metzger, The Text of the New Testament: Its Transmission, Corruption, and Restoration, 3rd ed. (1991), pp. 151-152). (Bruce Metzger was one of the editors of the Nestle-Aland Greek New Testament that is the basis for modern translations.)

Origen is of course speaking of the manuscripts of his location, Alexandria, Egypt. By an Alexandrian Church father’s own admission, manuscripts in Alexandria by 200 AD were already corrupt. Irenaeus in the 2nd century, though not in Alexandria, made a similar admission on the state of corruption among New Testament manuscripts. Daniel B. Wallace says, “Revelation was copied less often than any other book of the NT, and yet Irenaeus admits that it was already corrupted — within just a few decades of the writing of the Apocalypse.

There’s an argument to be made that the Alexandrian Text type was corrupted very early.

So the same argument they use against The Majority Text can be used against the Alexandrian Texts. Alexandria was the center for Gnosticism. Isn’t it more likely that scriptures were removed to align with their Gnostic heresy than that they were added later and copied to a majority of the texts? Does the majority mean anything?
A proper study of the text of the Greek New Testament requires a lifelong commitment because the issues are many and highly complex. For a somewhat objective discussion of The Byzantine Text-type by a scholar who defends it, please see,

Sturz, Harry A. The Byzantine Text-type and New Testament Textual Criticism. Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers, 1984.

• Informative
Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟141,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A proper study of the text of the Greek New Testament requires a lifelong commitment because the issues are many and highly complex. For a somewhat objective discussion of The Byzantine Text-type by a scholar who defends it, please see,

Sturz, Harry A. The Byzantine Text-type and New Testament Textual Criticism. Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers, 1984.
Thanks

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟141,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0759625018/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I recommend this book Differences Between Bible Versions by Gary F. Zeola

Upvote 0

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟202,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Well folks, I agree, it's time to burn Wescott and Hort at the stake. Heretics, both of them! *throws Davy a torch* :p

That was a joke. Hopefully it makes people feel better.

I'm a Bible memorizer and I enjoy quoting it for application purposes, and so I migrate between the following versions of the bible regularly:
NKJV
NIV
ESV
NRSV
NASB

I ended up doing a lot of my early memorization in NKJV and NIV, courtesy of the Awana overlords, and my memorization of Psalm 46 is in ESV, which is also the version my church uses. NRSV is my favorite translation for reading, but recently I've taken up the NASB as it makes my foreign language work so much easier. Right now I have a parallel translation between the LBLA and NASB, and it's really helped with my work with the Bible in Spanish, an interest of mine as I maze my way into studying the original Greek and Hebrew.

I prefer the New Revised Standard Version for my personal reading, and the NIV2011 when I am teaching.

The NRSV is more literal than the NIV. It's preferred by academics over all translations. That's an important fact. It is elegant, graceful, and often says things in a more compelling way than the NIV. And it is extremely readable.

But since I am probably the only guy in my church that uses the NRSV, I switch to the NIV for teaching, because that's what most people are used to. It's a great translation as well.

Both the NRSV and the NIV2011 are accurate in regards to gender. Many translations act as though the Bible was written to men only, but that is not the case, and that is clear in the original languages, but not so clear in many of our Bible translations. So I try to stick with those two for their accuracy in gender matters. (The CEB is another good one I am learning to like.)
*offers fist bump* Yes! This is why I love the NRSV. I'm probably the only person with it in my church too, so I can totally relate. Interesting that it is preferred by academics - I didn't know that. Now I have something to defend my preference for it - I actually thought it was junky because of the Catholic association and the apocrypha variations.

Maybe that's why the academics like it, though - the unbelieving ones still want to lump Martin's followers in with the Catholics and blame us all for the Crusades, and thus blame us for racism. :p

However, in Spanish (and Greek) the male collective verbs are used to refer to mixed-gender groups. If I'm in a group with one guy and 10 other girls, I would say nosotros (male we) to refer to the group, even through more females are included. Thus, it makes sense for the NASB to use male pronouns to refer to all of humanity because that's what the original languages do (I think), and it's easier to go from there into the Spanish and my limited Greek studies. English doesn't actually work that way, though, and the NRSV is technically the better approach there.

I like to use the NASB mostly, because it is a nice conservative translation. Like @JosephZ said, it's a good word for word translation, which is something I like. I almost always use the NKJV along side the NASB on biblegateway.com. This is just my preference.
I'm a biblegateway addict. That site isn't good for me because it feeds my age old problem of remembering a memorized verse and forgetting the reference. Now I can just type my verse into the search bar and wallah! Reference and here is the quote! But now my brain thinks I don't need to remember my references now, and if it gets any worse I'm going to have to go back to therapy to reestablish self-discipline and stop using electronic crutches when I have perfectly good legs.

And NASB is cool too. *offers him a fist bump*

The same KJV that tells us there were unicorns. (Numbers 23:22; Numbers 24:8; Job 39:9-10; Psalms 29:6; Psalms 92:10) Do you believe in unicorns?
Only ones with high profit margins.

I've found that Christians without college degrees lean toward dynamic translations (thought-for-thought).
I've been reading NRSV since I was in 3rd grade, and before that was KJV. I picked up the NASB before I earned my two Associate degrees. I think the distinction has less to do with education and more about how much trials you have suffered in your life and how spiritually hardcore you happen to be. Christians who haven't gone through much tend to spiritualize every little trivial thing, and it's those kinds of folks that turn to dynamic translations to spice up their boring existences.

People who have gone through trials and do real ministry work need a version of the Bible that's more intellectual and stable and less touchy-feely. They want the truth, however emotionally difficult or intellectually difficult it may be.

The paperback workbook is a bunch of exercises to do. The hardbound BBG has all of the information. When I was in seminary, the Greek book (Stephen Paine's Beginning Greek) that we had was pretty confusing as it started right out with declensions. The one thing that I did like about Paine was it started you right out on reading the first six chapters of John. But for learning Greek on your own, Mounce works far better.
I ordered both books off Amazon. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for the tip!

Any in French
One of my friends was into this. French is a beautiful language if you can understand it. Unfortunately I cannot.

That’s not a translation. The NT was written in Greek. An edition of the original Greek is not a translation.
Lol. My understanding is that there is a significant difference between Ancient Greek and Modern Greek, possibly comparable to the difference between Shakespearean English and modern English, and so one could "translate" NT Greek into Modern Greek, like we have modern Shakespeare adaptations. For what you're talking about, though, I agree.

Some of what I've read, however, has ominously suggested that the difference between New Testament and Modern Greek may be more like a modern English reader trying to read Middle English instead, so I think I'll start with the NT Greek since that's more important to me and continue my Duolingo experience with Modern Greek later.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟836,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm a NASB guy. My church uses ESV because our previous pastor was an ESV guy. It is funny because we have this fun, not-so-serious "debate" over which version is the best. I once told my pastor how he can know the "word and truth" when he doesn't use a NASB :D

Upvote 0

SkovandOfMitzae

Apr 17, 2022
Southeastern USA
✟8,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I like using a wide range of translations since different versions are based off of different manuscripts and often translators will flesh out very subtle but important nuances. But in addition to this I like to also use commentaries. I addition it’s very important look to scholarship work in word studies in the original language.

Upvote 0

jamiec

Aug 2, 2020
Scotland
✟42,265.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Different people prefer to use different bible translations as those which they find most appropriate for them. I realise that not everyone is necessarily going to agree with each other about there own personal likes, dislikes and doctrinal understandings, but please be nice to each other and allow each other to have our differences and respect those differences. I am a someone who uses a number of different bibles, but not always for any reasons, which might be all that obvious. Some of my bibles have cross references, or study aids, which I find helpful. Some are particular translations, which I like and there are other translations which I choose not to have as I even dislike certain translations.

I don't like translations where the translators have added their own doctrinal bias to them. I guess that some might even call me a bit old fashioned in my thinking and theology, but I still have quite a fair number of modern bible translations as well. I like the king james version, but I am not one of those, who is from the king james only persusion. I also like some literal translations, but not all are particularly enjoyable to read. Some of these literal versions may be considered by some as being technically advantageous, but I can find some of these very dry to use for just reading God's word. I need to be inspired by what I read and some translations just don't do that for me. So what are your preferred translations and why?

This does not need to be too theoretical. personal preferences and likes are dislikes are good enough. I hope the everyone will feel free to just be themselves and express their own feelings, if that's what feels right! Thanks.
In no particular order:

1970 New English Bible
1963(?) NASB
1881-85-95 Revised Version
NETS
the reprint of the 1934 Rahlfs edition of the Septuagint
The Wordsworth & White edition of the Vulgate NT
Berean Study Bible (on-line edition)
the various editions on the Bible Hub site
the versions on the Blueletter Bible sites
the new edition of the ESV

I do not like "unisex" Bibles, so I try to avoid them. I am all in favour of Bibles that, like the NEB, alert the reader to alternative translations & textual variants and textual emendations; and that supply distances between places, maps, diagrams, plans; and tables of such things as weights & measures.

I prefer accuracy of translation to dignity and also to orthodoxy - if accuracy of rendering creates doctrinal problems, then so be it. If St Paul refers to tradition, the NIV has no right to muffle what he says. If an accurate translation of Ezekiel or St Paul makes them use indelicate language, then so be it - a faithful translation of the Biblical books has no business blunting coarse expressions; what is said in a text being translated, ought to retain its full force, whether that upsets the reader or not. Where there are puns and other such features, they should, if possible, be reproduced or given an equivalent. If that is not possible, there should be a note to alert the reader to its presence (which the NEB does). Verse should be printed as verse, not as prose.

Should the text be re-arranged, and re-ordered, if it appears to he disarranged, and out of order ? IMO each case needs to be dealt with on its own merits.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nicaea_1Q
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
bible translations.png
I like this chart, and similar charts, but the following issues need to be considered:

1) There is no such a thing as a "word-for-word" translation, with the exception of interlinears. Translating word-for-word results in unintelligible sentences.

2) A better classification would use the following categories: formal translations, functional translations, and paraphrases.

3) ESV is a formal translation. GNT is a functional translation. The Message is a paraphrase.

I don't much like the NIV myself, it is a reduced vocabulary bible to simplify translating it in other languages and as a result to me it lacks a lot of content compared to other versions that I am used to.
I agree. But NIV2011 is better than NLT, which seems to be replacing NIV in Evangelical circles.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟141,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I recently purchased the NET Bible Full Notes Edition and I love the notes that come with this version. It’s available online at no cost and it’s great for studying.
I like this chart, and similar charts, but the following issues need to be considered:

1) There is no such a thing as a "word-for-word" translation, with the exception of interlinears. Translating word-for-word results in unintelligible sentences.

2) A better classification would use the following categories: formal translations, functional translations, and paraphrases.

3) ESV is a formal translation. GNT is a functional translation. The Message is a paraphrase.

I agree. But NIV2011 is better than NLT, which seems to be replacing NIV in Evangelical circles.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟141,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I recently purchased the NET Bible Full Notes Edition and I love the notes that come with this version. It’s available online at no cost and it’s great for studying.

The Analytical Literal Translation is a word for word translation.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I purchased the NET years ago when it was first released. Its notes are fantastic.

The Analytical Literal Translation is a word for word translation.
Yes "as much as possible." But it also includes analytical features to make its text understandable:

"The original grammar is retained as much as possible. Words added for clarity are bracketed. 'Analytical' refers to the detailed 'analysis' done on the grammar of the text, which is then translated in a way that brings out 'nuances' often missed in other translations."

It should be interesting to read.

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟141,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I purchased the NET years ago when it was first released. Its notes are fantastic.

Yes "as much as possible." But it also includes analytical features to make its text understandable:

"The original grammar is retained as much as possible. Words added for clarity are bracketed. 'Analytical' refers to the detailed 'analysis' done on the grammar of the text, which is then translated in a way that brings out 'nuances' often missed in other translations."

It should be interesting to read.
I use the ALT as a reference. It’s terrible to read. The word sequence is so different than plain English

• Informative
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟69,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I use the ALT as a reference. It’s terrible to read. The word sequence is so different than plain English
Greek does not have to follow the Subject-Verb-Object but can structure the sentence to emphasize the importance of a word by its placement in the sentence.

"He threw the red ball"
"The red ball he threw"

The emphasis on the second sentence is the red ball.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟141,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Greek does not have to follow the Subject-Verb-Object but can structure the sentence to emphasize the importance of a word by its placement in the sentence.

"He threw the red ball"
"The red ball he threw"

The emphasis on the second sentence is the red ball.
Yeah it doesn’t make for a smooth reading experience

Wayne Gabler

Jan 26, 2020
Calgary
✟22,527.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
1611KJV It uses the original Hebrew for the OT and the original Greek for the NT. It doesn't come with any footnotes as their help is limited to 'keep reading until you understand what you are reading. Their preface is long and very detailed, when you can understand that part, the text in the book 'is child's play'.

Reactions: hedrick
Upvote 0

Wayne Gabler

Jan 26, 2020
Calgary
✟22,527.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Yeah it doesn’t make for a smooth reading experience
Maybe you should one that uses the short sentence form, like the original did.

Da:7:20:
And of the ten horns that were in his head,
and of the other which came up,
and before whom three fell;
even of that horn that had eyes,
and a mouth that spake very great things,
whose look was more stout than his fellows.

Re:17:12:
And the ten horns which thou sawest are ten kings,
which have received no kingdom as yet;
but receive power as kings one hour with the beast.

There are better examples but they are quite long.

Upvote 0