What must we do for the forgiveness of sins?

jimbohank

Disciple of Yashewah
Aug 27, 2014
✟9,520.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
(assuming you meant insufficient) but you make the comment were and are a sinner..
And befor this you say we must repent.
But to repent of your sin you know what your sins are.
So if you are still a sinner (still doing the sins you know you were doing) then you have not yet repented ..its just faking it.Gods not fooled.
Would be nice if it were that easy right? Our walk is a constant stumble, just like a new born child being born, we don't come out sprinting, we are constantly falling and getting back up. I don't know about you but when my children fall after running I don't toss them out on the street to never return home. I'm as imperfect as anyone and I love my children enough to not condemn them from falling, I can only assume that an all perfect Father would not condemn me to eternal hell because I sinned even though I have had to repent for that sin in the past. It must be very frightening for you to think this way, especially since it doesn't follow God's character.

Upvote 0

Rescued1

~~Love Conquers ~~
Mar 22, 2017
Texas
✟15,338.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Many of the saints seem to be confused as to what constitutes a "work". So I will ask this rhetorical question. What must we do to receive forgiveness, and if there is something we must do, is it work?
Hi, brother Jeff.
First of all, all believers are referred to as saints (this is taken from "The study of Ephesians" by J.Vernon McGee. A saint is a position given them by virtue of being in Christ. Ephesians 1:1 Paul, a special messenger of Christ Jesus (the Messiah), by the divine will (the purpose and choice of God) to the saints (the consecrated, set-apart ones) at Ephesus who are also faithful and loyal and steadfast in Christ Jesus.
Being faithful toward Christ is something we choose and it brings glory to God.
And,in order to receive forgiveness, humbly kneel before God and simply ask.
1John 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
God bless you!

• Agree
Reactions: Jeff4607
Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Many of the saints seem to be confused as to what constitutes a "work". So I will ask this rhetorical question. What must we do to receive forgiveness, and if there is something we must do, is it work?

Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved! Yes, believing is WORK. Trusting in work. Praying is work.

Reactions: miknik5
Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
In any discussion of Faith and/or Works relating to salvation, "Works" means voluntary, charitable, deeds that are thought to earn favor with God leading, at least in part, to salvation. They are thought to be meritorious.

Albion, I disagree. Having faith is a work, because you must HEAR the Word, and then you must believe it, and trust in God. Hearing is the other side of speaking, and is a work. Believing is a work. Trusting God is work. I am sure you know that last is true, unless you have never had any trials, that you've never wavered in your faith, an so on.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Forgive and you will be forgiven. If you forgive others their sins, your sins will be forgiven. But if you do not forgive others, neither will your sins be forgiven.

But all of these are works. What Albion is talking about is trying to BUY your way into heaven. This cannot be done. However, once you are grafted in to the Vine, we produce fruits in the way of love, caring, visiting the sick, feeding the hungry, and all these things.

However, taking a look at Matt 25:31-46, we don't see any of the things that you are saying you must do, and we do see a lot of people doing things that ARE considered work, like feeding the poor, etc. Now, how do we do these good works without forgiving, believing, trusting, asking God for help? We can't.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
But all of these are works. What Albion is talking about is trying to BUY your way into heaven. This cannot be done. However, once you are grafted in to the Vine, we produce fruits in the way of love, caring, visiting the sick, feeding the hungry, and all these things.

However, taking a look at Matt 25:31-46, we don't see any of the things that you are saying you must do, and we do see a lot of people doing things that ARE considered work, like feeding the poor, etc. Now, how do we do these good works without forgiving, believing, trusting, asking God for help? We can't.

Yes, i agree that in the sense that we DO things, they are "works". But on the other hand, some people understand "works" to be "hoops we jump through in order to save ourselves or purchase salvation". That's why i clarified (I think) that I was speaking according to Albion's definition.

Sometimes people misuse words, or sometimes people make new definitions for them, or misunderstand. A lot of the disagreement of CF really comes down to how words are used and what people think other people mean. Sometimes I see people who both believe the same thing locked in argument, because they don't understand the words used the same way as the other one.

So ... I agree with you. But on the other hand, not qualifying that would be almost guaranteed to blow up in an immediate chorus of disagreeing voices, and at the same time, I would give them a wrong impression (or reinforce a wrong impression they have already received) of what the Church teaches.

That's why sometimes I like to relax in my home forum. Not as much need to explain everything we say. But sometimes, it is still necessary. :)

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
But to repent of your sin you know what your sins are.
So if you are still a sinner (still doing the sins you know you were doing) then you have not yet repented ..its just faking it.Gods not fooled.

This is not kind, or gentle, or loving. Calling someone a "sinner" meaning not saved is a no-no according to the rules of CF.

And If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But all of these are works. What Albion is talking about is trying to BUY your way into heaven.
No, Albion is not talking about that.

However, once you are grafted in to the Vine, we produce fruits in the way of love, caring, visiting the sick, feeding the hungry, and all these things.
Which is exactly what those Christians who believe in Sola Fide believe and explain.

No amount of charitable deeds or religious devotions, pilgrimages, fasting, or the like can PUT AWAY YOUR SINS. Only Faith in Christ brings salvation, and, if you have Faith, you will of course do good works--as has been explained by reformed Christians here many times. That's what a lively Faith compels a believer to do.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

IT's simple just seek forgiveness and repent and the key of repetitive and forgiveness is turning away from that sin or wrong doing and not returning to it.

1 John 1:9King James Version (KJV)
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

This is my fav verse on repentance one I have to memory, it's one of the ultimate examples shows how it works. The bible in the OT for example tells us to not lay down a foundation of repentance. IN other words once you repent don't return to that thing, let it go.

Isaiah 55:7King James Version (KJV)
7 Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the Lord, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.

• Agree
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
IT's simple just seek forgiveness and repent and the key of repetitive and forgiveness is turning away from that sin or wrong doing and not returning to it.

1 John 1:9King James Version (KJV)
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

This is my fav verse on repentance one I have to memory, it's one of the ultimate examples shows how it works. The bible in the OT for example tells us to not lay down a foundation of repentance. IN other words once you repent don't return to that thing, let it go.

Isaiah 55:7King James Version (KJV)
7 Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the Lord, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.

Just wanted to wish you Happy Birthday!

• Friendly
Reactions: JESUS=G.O.A.T
Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1 Peter chapter 4 verse 8
Love covers many sins.
That's the most you can do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dear Monk,

Jesus said these things about you.

Hello Jeff, and welcome to CF.

I wanted to let you know, since you are new and may not be aware of the rules ...

It is definitely against the rules to state or imply that someone else isn't a Christian. It's also not a good idea to address someone's PERSON, especially if you're going to say critical things of them.

You may certainly address theology, teaching, or doctrine. We are here to discuss that. But we are not here to speak badly of one another.

I would really suggest you might edit your post. I haven't reported it, but it could get you in trouble.

Again, welcome to CF, and if you need any help, please let me know.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Many think they can Say they have faith.
Continue in thier action of sin and be saved.
They think they can hear the gospel but not obey it..and be saved.
They decieve themSelves.

Just who are those in the "many?"

Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

When works are deprecated in the NT, it is works of the law, As practiced by pharisees ( like circumcision) not spiritual works or works of charity .

Clearly we are asked to do many things, and some of them clearly do affect salvation. The sheep and the goats makes that crystal clear.
By themselves they are not sufficient for salvation and we are saved by grace, but that does not let anyone of the hook, or reduce their need to do all they can in practical love of neighbour and God.

The problem with the false and easily disprovable theologies of the reformation- that is sola scriptura and sola fidei , is they try to reduce ad absurdum to " just this one thing " is enough. To the point of modern fast food faux Christianity , which says " ask Jesus into your life, and you are forever saved" It is fascinating that this 20th century version of Christianity is nowhere in scripture!

But that's not what scripture or tradition demand.
In the case of sola fidei - the only time faith and alone are found together in a biblical sentence is where it says faith alone is not enough! Despite luthers efforts to edit the bible, it is still there opposing his doctrine.

So We are asked to do many things, like sheep and goats and the Eucharist : and woe betide those who ignore our lords ordinances.

But then the saints of history knew this.
So perhaps it is the OP confused!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
Drouin, Victoria, Australia
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

The answer is simple....

1John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Any other demand is not backed by scripture.

• Agree
Upvote 0