What must we do for the forgiveness of sins?

Korean-American Christian

raised Presbyterian. member of the Nazarene Church
Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Many of the saints seem to be confused as to what constitutes a "work". So I will ask this rhetorical question. What must we do to receive forgiveness, and if there is something we must do, is it work?

We must repent and ask Jesus to forgive us. We must trust in Jesus as our Savior and Lord

Romans 10:8-10 King James Version (KJV)

But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In any discussion of Faith and/or Works relating to salvation, "Works" means voluntary, charitable, deeds that are thought to earn favor with God leading, at least in part, to salvation. They are thought to be meritorious.

Being baptized, confessing one's sins, agreeing to some Creed, or the like, may require movement and might even require some effort, but that is not what "Works" means.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Many of the saints seem to be confused as to what constitutes a "work". So I will ask this rhetorical question. What must we do to receive forgiveness, and if there is something we must do, is it work?

Be sinners.

Christ died for the sins of the whole world. Christ died to save sinners.

The only thing we do to is be sinners. It is God who appropriates the work of Christ by the power of the Spirit through Word and Sacrament, He does it for us, we do nothing.

-CryptoLutheran

• Winner
Reactions: Tangible
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

What must we do to receive forgiveness?

Ask for it, and receive it. Which includes such things as repenting, confessing, and believing.

No, these are not "works". These are simply the natural living of the Christian life.

Conversely, we can fail to believe, reject forgiveness, refuse to repent. These are not works either, they are simply the actions of rejecting God and His forgiveness.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I like to look at the prodigal son since we can see he did nothing “worthy” of anything (for personal selfish reasons he returns to the father [wants a job to keep living]), yet the son did turn (repent) and go to the father.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Forgiveness is freely for all, but eternal life is only for righteous.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

That is why Jesus taught that people should repent and be born anew.

… unless you repent, you will all perish in the same way.
Luke 13:3

"Most assuredly, I tell you, unless one is born anew, he can't see the Kingdom of God." Nicodemus said to him, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb, and be born?" Jesus answered, "Most assuredly I tell you, unless one is born of water and spirit, he can't enter into the Kingdom of God! That which is born of the flesh is flesh. That which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Don't marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born anew.'
John 3:3-7

He who does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. To this end the Son of God was revealed, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever is born of God doesn't commit sin, because his seed remains in him; and he can't sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the devil. Whoever doesn't do righteousness is not of God, neither is he who doesn't love his brother.
1 John 3:7-10

Forgiveness is not useful, if person continues in sin. Similarly, as it is not useful to wash your car, if you right after that mess it with mud. Forgiveness gives a new beginning and by words Jesus said you can become righteous, clean of sin (Godless way of life). And if you become righteous, it will be seen also in your works. But the works are only fruits of your mind. If the mind is good, the fruits are also good. This doesn’t mean you have to do good works, it means, if you are righteous, you want to do good works. :)

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The only work involved is having faith in God.
No other actions are required.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Forgive others of every offense. Care for them. Look out for them. Treat them with respect. Love covers up all sin.

You do bring up an important point I think we all neglected to mention ....

Forgive and you will be forgiven. If you forgive others their sins, your sins will be forgiven. But if you do not forgive others, neither will your sins be forgiven.

According to Christ, there are indeed things we "must do" in order to be forgiven. But still, not "works" as earlier defined in this thread by @Albion .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jeff4607

Mar 26, 2017
USA
✟11,574.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
John Preaches to the People
7 Then he said to the multitudes that came out to be baptized by him, “Brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? 8 Therefore bear fruits worthy of repentance, and do not begin to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For I say to you that God is able to raise up children to Abraham from these stones. 9 And even now the ax is laid to the root of the trees. Therefore every tree which does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.”

• Agree
Reactions: Thursday
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Jeff4607

Mar 26, 2017
USA
✟11,574.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MJFlores

Mar 22, 2017
Philippines
✟19,304.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

What must we do for the forgiveness of sins?

Romans 3:9-20 New Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (NRSVCE)

What then? Are we any better off? No, not at all; for we have already charged that all, both Jews and Greeks, are under the power of sin, as it is written:

“There is no one who is righteous, not even one;
there is no one who has understanding,
there is no one who seeks God.
All have turned aside, together they have become worthless;
there is no one who shows kindness,
there is not even one.”
“Their throats are opened graves;
they use their tongues to deceive.”
“The venom of vipers is under their lips.”
“Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness.”
“Their feet are swift to shed blood;
ruin and misery are in their paths,
and the way of peace they have not known.”
There is no fear of God before their eyes.
Now we know that whatever the law says, it speaks to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced, and the whole world may be held accountable to God. For “no human being will be justified in his sight” by deeds prescribed by the law, for through the law comes the knowledge of sin.

Upvote 0

DamianX

Aug 20, 2005
Florida
Visit site
✟7,763.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

One of the nice things about being Catholic is having a clear answer to this question. Go to Confession, tell your sins to the priest, be truly sorry for them, and do the assigned penance. This is a normal part of a Catholic's relationship with God, and considering it "work" would be strange.

Upvote 0