usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I have spoken with many mainstream Christians over the years and who I have asked this question. What law did God's children live before the time of Moses?
Don't you have a Bible? The Law of Sin and Death.

Rom 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Rom 4:13 For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.

14 For if they which are of the law be heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect:

15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.

20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:

That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

1Co 15:56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.

But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Gal 3:17 And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.

Upvote 0

InSpiritInTruth

May 15, 2011
State of Grace
✟11,335.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have spoken with many mainstream Christians over the years and who I have asked this question. What law did God's children live before the time of Moses?

Romans 1:17
For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

The law of righteousness by faith.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Romans 1:17
For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

The law of righteousness by faith.:thumbsup:
Amen, even Abel, before the law, offered a righteous sacrifice, by his faith!

Heb 11:4
By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaket

Upvote 0

InSpiritInTruth

May 15, 2011
State of Grace
✟11,335.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Amen, even Abel, before the law, offered a righteous sacrifice, by his faith!

Heb 11:4
By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaket
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It is not part of the biblical canon as used by Jews, apart from Beta Israel. It is regarded as canonical by the Ethiopian Orthodox Church and Eritrean Orthodox Church, but no other Christian group. [Rakefet]

The prophet Enoch, supposed to have been an antediluvian, was the inventor of learning, letters, and the founder of initiatory rites. Among the Arabs Enoch is commonly called Idris, meaning the wise or learned. Again, "The Kerkes and the Onech stand for a race cycle, and the mystical tree Ababel -- the 'Father Tree' in the Kuran [Quran, sacred book of the Muslims]

40:8 and the fourth, who is set over the repentance unto hope of those who inherit eternal life, is named Phanuel [who is Not mentioned in the Bible]

Book of Enoch, chapter 69:8-12...8 ...And the fourth was named Penemue: [curer of stupidity in man] 11 to their good faith with pen and ink. For men were created exactly like the angels

It was Adam's sin that brought sin into the world (Romans 5:12); not evil literature.

People 450-Feet Tall? The ark which Noah built was 300 cubits long (Genesis 6:15). Do you mean to tell me that some women had children who were as tall as the ark was long?

7:12 Whose stature was each three hundred cubits. These devoured all which the labor of men produced; until it became impossible to feed them

69:6 their bodies with the daughters of men. And the third was named Gadreel: he it is who showed the children of men all the blows of death, and he led astray Eve
[This is contradictory to the first section of Enoch, which claims Azazel to be responsible for this.]

SOURCE: McGee, J. Vernon, Thru the Bible with J. Vernon McGee, (Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers) 2000, c1981.

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is not part of the biblical canon as used by Jews, apart from Beta Israel. It is regarded as canonical by the Ethiopian Orthodox Church and Eritrean Orthodox Church, but no other Christian group. [Rakefet]

The prophet Enoch, supposed to have been an antediluvian, was the inventor of learning, letters, and the founder of initiatory rites. Among the Arabs Enoch is commonly called Idris, meaning the wise or learned. Again, "The Kerkes and the Onech stand for a race cycle, and the mystical tree Ababel -- the 'Father Tree' in the Kuran [Quran, sacred book of the Muslims]

40:8 and the fourth, who is set over the repentance unto hope of those who inherit eternal life, is named Phanuel [who is Not mentioned in the Bible]

Book of Enoch, chapter 69:8-12...8 ...And the fourth was named Penemue: [curer of stupidity in man] 11 to their good faith with pen and ink. For men were created exactly like the angels

It was Adam's sin that brought sin into the world (Romans 5:12); not evil literature.

People 450-Feet Tall? The ark which Noah built was 300 cubits long (Genesis 6:15). Do you mean to tell me that some women had children who were as tall as the ark was long?

7:12 Whose stature was each three hundred cubits. These devoured all which the labor of men produced; until it became impossible to feed them

69:6 their bodies with the daughters of men. And the third was named Gadreel: he it is who showed the children of men all the blows of death, and he led astray Eve
[This is contradictory to the first section of Enoch, which claims Azazel to be responsible for this.]

SOURCE: McGee, J. Vernon, Thru the Bible with J. Vernon McGee, (Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers) 2000, c1981.

He-man I don't know alot about the Book of Enoch. Since the bible describes giants in the land, perhaps we should not take things literally and use discernment as to what was meant. But I do thank you for your imput

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It's in the Book of Enoch (non canon)

Surprisingly, the suggested way of life and salvation is very similar to the teachings given by Jesus.

I was reading the Book of Enoch for the first time when you post this. As I was reading I noticed this on verse 10:

Then said the Most High, the Holy and Great One spake, and sent Uriel to the son of Lamech, and said to him: 'Go to Noah and tell him in my name "Hide thyself!" and reveal to him the end that is approaching: that the whole earth will be destroyed, and a deluge is about to come upon the whole earth, and will destroy all that is on it.

According to Enoch, God tells Noah to hide, rather than build an ark. Read this from the Apocryphon of John where Jesus tells John:

"And he (the chief archon) repented for everything which had come into being through him. This time he planned to bring a flood upon the work of man. But the greatness of the light of the foreknowledge informed Noah, and he proclaimed (it) to all the offspring which are the sons of men. But those who were strangers to him did not listen to him. It is not as Moses said, 'They hid themselves in an ark' (Gn 7: 7), but they hid themselves in a place, not only Noah, but also many other people from the immovable race. They went into a place and hid themselves in a luminous cloud. And he (Noah) recognized his authority, and she who belongs to the light was with him, having shone on them because he (the chief archon) had brought darkness upon the whole earth.

Interesting that books supposedly written so far apart seem to agree on something that seems so much more believable.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,708.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
They lived God's unchanging moral Law and the commandments given to Moses were those same moral Laws put into writing because they were a part of the special contract that was made at that time.

How could it be the same if they were on a 'special contract'

Significant differences were:

-Animal sacrifices for atonement of sins
-Earthly punishment for transgression of laws like adultery, etc.

Both of which in effect during the Exodus. None or abolished in pre flood Book of Enoch (BoE) and in the time of Jesus (Gospels)

Both BoE (Pre flood) and Jesus taught:

-Repentance for salvation (as opposed to animal sacrifice in Exodus)
-Punishment and rewards come in the afterlife
-The wicked will prosper but like grass, their existence will be fleeting
-The righteous on the other hand will die for the truth (martyred) but inherit eternal life

I was reading the Book of Enoch for the first time when you post this. As I was reading I noticed this on verse 10:

Then said the Most High, the Holy and Great One spake, and sent Uriel to the son of Lamech, and said to him: 'Go to Noah and tell him in my name "Hide thyself!" and reveal to him the end that is approaching: that the whole earth will be destroyed, and a deluge is about to come upon the whole earth, and will destroy all that is on it.

According to Enoch, God tells Noah to hide, rather than build an ark. Read this from the Apocryphon of John where Jesus tells John:

"And he (the chief archon) repented for everything which had come into being through him. This time he planned to bring a flood upon the work of man. But the greatness of the light of the foreknowledge informed Noah, and he proclaimed (it) to all the offspring which are the sons of men. But those who were strangers to him did not listen to him. It is not as Moses said, 'They hid themselves in an ark' (Gn 7: 7), but they hid themselves in a place, not only Noah, but also many other people from the immovable race. They went into a place and hid themselves in a luminous cloud. And he (Noah) recognized his authority, and she who belongs to the light was with him, having shone on them because he (the chief archon) had brought darkness upon the whole earth.

Interesting that books supposedly written so far apart seem to agree on something that seems so much more believable.

Interesting! I wasn't paying attention to those details when I read BoE but on salvation process :D

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
He-man I don't know alot about the Book of Enoch. Since the bible describes giants in the land, perhaps we should not take things literally and use discernment as to what was meant. But I do thank you for your imput
Thank you, but the Bible does not describe giants, it describes valiant people:

הנפלים היו בארץ בימים ההם וגם אחרי-כן אשר יבאו בני האלהים אל-בנות האדם וילדו להם המה הגברים אשר מעולם אנשי השם

Gen 6:4 There were valiant people in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they gave birth to children of them, which were created men of distinction.

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you, but the Bible does not describe giants, it describes valiant people:

הנפלים היו בארץ בימים ההם וגם אחרי-כן אשר יבאו בני האלהים אל-בנות האדם וילדו להם המה הגברים אשר מעולם אנשי השם

Gen 6:4 There were valiant people in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they gave birth to children of them, which were created men of distinction.

Well don't tell JW's there were no giants.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums